Serious overloading of servers

Obtena

Today has been incredible frustrating sadly enough.

With the release of 1.3 today I looked forward alot to play ranked warzone and have a test of all the new stuff available with this patch. So far I've been disconnected twice after a warzone. My game suddenly just closes, no error , no nothing. It just closes. Then when I try to log in again, I'm put at nr 1500+ in que with over an hour waiting time.

Second time this happened tonight.

Sad day indeed and wondering why I even try , since I'm fairly sure I will just have a disconnect again when I finaly am able to log in the game.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate there must be great difficulty in achieving population balance. I also realise I don't know all the technical obstacles to be navigated. Nevertheless I do hope Blizz public relations send a memo to whoever organised the server migrations and monitoring. It could read a great many things, I shall sit and ponder what they may be for the next 1 1/2 hours!

So far I've been disconnected twice after a warzone. My game suddenly just closes, no error , no nothing. It just closes. Then when I try to log in again, I'm put at nr 1500+ in que with over an hour waiting time.

Second time this happened tonight.

That's the real killer with queues.

Anything over a 30 min queue is difficult to deal with to start with (just logging in to do stuff with freinds becomes difficult).

However when you get disconnects and suddenly you might have to go through a queue twice or thrice in one night, it really becomes aggravating. Now make that a 2 hour queue and the game suddenly becomes unplayable effectively.

Which is why anything over a 30 min queue on a regular basis just can't work for a server.

tomb of freedon nadd.....so over populated now its stupid 1.5 - 2hr wait to play a game im paying good money for,that tbh i cant see waiting time changing much now that you have sent every tom dick & harry here from low populated servers.it was the highest populated server already,now its just fubar.the least thing you could do is ramp up server caps or yet again see waves of pissed off ppl leave your game..c'mon BW what where you thinking.:mad:

oh & btw look 530 posts here alone.....mmmmmmmm what can that mean i wonder?!?!?!?

Edited by neosbe

tomb of freedon nadd.....so over populated now its stupid 1.5 - 2hr wait to play a game im paying good money for,that tbh i cant see waiting time changing much now that you have sent every tom dick & harry here from low populated servers.it was the highest populated server already,now its just fubar.the least thing you could do is ramp up server caps or yet again see waves of pissed off ppl leave your game..c'mon BW what where you thinking.:mad:

oh & btw look 530 posts here alone.....mmmmmmmm what can that mean i wonder?!?!?!?

At least you do not have me to worry about, I stayed on Dreshdae, didn't feel like losing my names, besides now I have free run on mobs and good gear drops when making alts

You're not paying for guaranteed access. Check the EULA.

When I rented an apartment, I wasn't able to find a parking spot in the parking lot. on Thanksgiving. When I go into DC to watch the fireworks in a week, I'll buy a ticket on the Metro... but I will probably have to wait to get onto a train, as the first one probably won't have enough room for everyone on the platform.

This is standard operating practice.

For the servers to be healthy, they need to be provisioned at a higher rate than they are used normally. That means that at abnormal times, they are not going to have the necessary capacity. If you check your subscription, you'll see that they say this is possible.

Buddy, screw YOU and your objectivity and logic. The internet isn't the place for this kind of level headed thinking.

Do the queues suck? Yes. Would I rather play with these new GROUPING features on a dead server? No.

Hiya, I'm new to 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.' Actually this is my first 'mmo' full-stop and it's a bit of a steep learning curve. So I need a bit of advice from you guys.

I'm playing PVE (just for the story, at the moment) on a near empty server. I don't do groups or HEROIC'S because I'm simply just not good enough yet. However I keep getting the onscreen message offering me a 'free transfer' to a more populated server~Nightmare Lands.

This server has HEAVY usage when I checked it. So is it worthwhile for me to join it (and potentially add to peak-time qeueing problems etc.) OR just level my character up to 50 on my dang near empty server and transfer when I have acquired some more in-game experience?

I guess I'm asking what I would gain from transferring to a populated server and what could a n00b like me offer to other players ~ apart from nuisance value...:o

seriously, my game just crashed while playing and i must wait in queue again? *** is that, they didn't fix that yet ?...40mins wait, gonna be fun ...i came back for the server merge...and it's totally not looking good atm...

Hiya, I'm new to 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.' Actually this is my first 'mmo' full-stop and it's a bit of a steep learning curve. So I need a bit of advice from you guys.

I'm playing PVE (just for the story, at the moment) on a near empty server. I don't do groups or HEROIC'S because I'm simply just not good enough yet. However I keep getting the onscreen message offering me a 'free transfer' to a more populated server~Nightmare Lands.

This server has HEAVY usage when I checked it. So is it worthwhile for me to join it (and potentially add to peak-time qeueing problems etc.) OR just level my character up to 50 on my dang near empty server and transfer when I have acquired some more in-game experience?

I guess I'm asking what I would gain from transferring to a populated server and what could a n00b like me offer to other players ~ apart from nuisance value...:o

My 2 cents-

Definitely roll on the heavy server, there is no guarantee you could get transferred off that wasteland later. You can also access more things for sale on the GTN nad groups if needed for heroics.

If you end up with Q times to log in just use the following tip. Start your log in 20 mins before you really want to play and get in line. Then do your normal pre log in things like use the restroom, get a drink and or snack etc. I have done this many times and its aok.

I say take the free transfer to a populated server, others have anticipated free transfers for a long time.

You may find alot of people are willing to help you out, Of course there will be the impatient people, but its an mmo ,multiplayer , you can co-op with groups,there are Flashpoints and heroics to do that require grouping (unless you out level the FP & Heroics) FPs on fleet and Heroics on planets. Free transfers wont be around forever and they are offered so you can co-op , pve/pvp with others, resolving a population issue and difficulty finding groups to complete or participate in those missions.

Grab your transfer while you can.

So yeah, the lack of WZ queues sucked before, especially at non-peak times, but this is silly.

Worry not. People are just checking out their new servers. Once people's gaming habits go back to normal, queues should subside.

Someone else posted this, and I don't remember who, but they said, and I agree with them...

"I'd rather wait 15 minutes to log on to a packed server than have an instant login to a ghost town."

Paige

That quote is great and all, but here it is 2 weeks later, and my queue is "<55 minutes" and I'm nearly 800th in line...

It's not a matter of which extreme is preferable, but what is most preferable period, and how it should've been

a matter of taking one extreme to a happy medium, not to the other extreme.

Prophecy of the Five is now over an hour wait to log in, that is insane. New content or not today, how is it possible to overload a server to that capacity? I understand a 10-15 minute que on a busy night, but over an hour and a 900+ que line....

People will always complain won't they?

No queues >> *cry* servers are empty/dead. we want merges/transfers!

Transfers come >> *cry* I have to wait 10-30 mins because BW did what we asked them to do.

I know there's still a lot bugged in this game, but cut them some slack the times they actually do what people want them to do and don't cry about it

Not necessarily complaining, but you can't help but LOL at this. It is comforting to know that Bioware Dev's don't work in nuclear power plants though...

Full

Full

Full

Full

Very Heavy

Heavy

Light

Light

Light

Light

Light

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

LightLight

Light

Light

Light

60 minute wait time on POF5.

See, here's the thing. I have a job, I have a life. My typical time span that I can play in is about an hour to an hour and a half. Very rarely more than that. I guess I won't be playing much under these conditions. Even a regular 15 minute wait time chews into my play time significantly.

As I see it there are two main options:

1. BW misjudged populations in the transfers.

2. BW judged correctly and expects a steady rate of decline in population and initially overloaded the servers so that they would drop from full to heavy rather than heavy to standard or less.

Either way, it does not bode well in the long term. Worst yet, the transfers were little more than a band aid. They didn't address the root causes. If this keeps up people are going to start rerolling on some other server that is deemed to be better in some way just like they did with Fatman, and we will be right back where we started.

Edited by Muwarr

EA cheaped out on their server hardware and bandwidth.

Shut down the dead servers, and use those resources to upgrade your remaining servers.

So much for the new Mega Servers. Either empty, dead server, or packed server that cannot handle the load.