The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why did you choose PvE, RP-PvE, PvP or RP-PvP?

Elfindreams

Serious curiosity here, please keep the flames out of here.

I see a lot of people wanting to move from one server type to another. This confuses me because since it seems odd to start wanting to RP and then end up going to an all PvP server.

So I wanted to ask folks, why did you choose what you chose and if you are looking to move to a different type, why.

Please lets keep it civil and not respond negatively to other people's reasons, whether we agree with them or not, everyone has a reason they want to do something and they are paying for the game as well :)

PvP server because I enjoy the idea of always having to be vigilant while questing/leveling/doing dailies. Nothing beats the rush of getting jumped and coming out on top.

I agree .... not to mention if you have a 50 of each faction you can hunt down and kill the Fleet Trolls ;)

To answer my own question, I chose RP-PvE because the idea of occasionally RPing sounded good to me and I had just moved from a heavy PvP game (EVE) in a dedicated PvP corp (Agony) and wanted to try something different.

I would probably think about moving to an RP-PvP simply because I like the idea of the extra vigilance while questing.

I think OP wants to know more why people who rolled on PVE servers want to transfer to PVP, or RP-PVPers want to transfer to PVP. I'd like to know this myself.

While you are correct, I think understanding people's reasons for their initial choice if they aren't moving is good too :)

I think OP wants to know more why people who rolled on PVE servers want to transfer to PVP, or RP-PVPers want to transfer to PVP. I'd like to know this myself.

The only reason I could ever come up for this in any game with server designations is so that they can level in peace to level cap, go to a PvP server and then gank lowbies.

In a more serious tone: Perhaps they rolled on a PvE server to play with some friends and along the course of time, those friends stopped playing. They like the sound of open world PvP and now want to play on a server that reflects that. At least, that'd be my answer if I wasn't so cynical of the MMO crowd in general.

Edited by Xiahoufig

I chose PvE mainly because I don't want to be ganked while I'm crafting, AFK, or just trying to get some quests done. If I want to PvP, I can do a warzone or turn my PvP flag on.

Another reason is because the less mature, "leet kiddies" with something to prove tend to gravitate toward the PvP servers. Flame away but you know I'm right. :D

I chose an RP-PvE server because my friends (both real life and from other games) were starting there. Unfortunately, many of them have already stopped playing. I don't really RP much myself, and I like PvP more than PvE, so I would probably consider transfering to any other type of server if I had the chance. With that said, I didn't really have any complaints about Lord Adraas (was hoping it'd be a destination server). Edited by Lymain

My original characters are on a PvP server. The only reason they're there is because the gaming organization I belong to chose that server. Since the organization has done away with the SWTOR sub-division, I abandoned those characters, and started on a PvE server like I tend to do in all other games. I prefer PvE, and like to restrict my PvP to duels and Warzones.

I chose PvE mainly because I don't want to be ganked while I'm crafting, AFK, or just trying to get some quests done. If I want to PvP, I can do a warzone or turn my PvP flag on.

Another reason is because the less mature, "leet kiddies" with something to prove tend to gravitate toward the PvP servers. Flame away but you know I'm right. :D

LOL, but please folks, don't take him up on the "flame away" part, I would love to keep this thread (mostly) positive.

My original characters are on a PvP server. The only reason they're there is because the gaming organization I belong to chose that server. Since the organization has done away with the SWTOR sub-division, I abandoned those characters, and started on a PvE server like I tend to do in all other games. I prefer PvE, and like to restrict my PvP to duels and Warzones.

I know its slightly off topic, but do you mind me asking what you mean by "gaming organization". Are you an org that puts up guild across games and the like? (I wasn't aware that such existed outside of the Goons/SomethingAwful crowds)

I chose RP-PVE for the simple reason that that is the type of server that mature players gravitate to and because the majority of my friends that play this game with me (and they are still here), like to quest in peace. If we want to PVP, we just switch on the PVP flag and go at it :)

I know its slightly off topic, but do you mind me asking what you mean by "gaming organization". Are you an org that puts up guild across games and the like? (I wasn't aware that such existed outside of the Goons/SomethingAwful crowds)

Guilds on multiple games.

Also multiple servers for some of the popular games.

Sub-divisions for 20 games in total at the moment. (MMOs, FPS, Strategy etc...)

Nope, you're pretty much dead on. Played almost exclusively PVP servers in WoW for 6 years, and now here I play on PVE ;)

Serious curiosity here, please keep the flames out of here.

I see a lot of people wanting to move from one server type to another. This confuses me because since it seems odd to start wanting to RP and then end up going to an all PvP server.

So I wanted to ask folks, why did you choose what you chose and if you are looking to move to a different type, why.

Please lets keep it civil and not respond negatively to other people's reasons, whether we agree with them or not, everyone has a reason they want to do something and they are paying for the game as well :)

Move from RP to any other kind of server with more people. Will see after server transfers till August (end of 6 months) if not enough population will leave because probably no more free transfers available.

I chose RP-PvP to follow guildies, i would like to move to go back to an old community I've known for a while from a previous mmo. PvP is the one I would be going to, I'm about to honestly cancel just because of this issue and it will be a fee to transfer where you want to, monthly fee is enough I'm not paying.......

PvP...because if you see a player from the other faction, it only makes sense that you should be able to attack it. It would be very weird seeing a Jedi and Sith run up to each other without being hostile. IMO I think most people choose PVE since they are scared that they will get manhandled by another player... even though their response will be something along the lines of not liking unfair fights.

I originally wanted to roll on a PvE server or a RP server, but a bunch of my RL friends wanted to roll on a PvP server so I joined them. I enjoy PvP but I hate ganking and being ganked, which is what open-world PvP always turns into in a game that's primarily PvE like this one. I knew that would be the case so I just wanted the warzones when I felt like it and wanted to quest in peace when I didn't.

Now my RL friends have quit, my guild is basically disbanded, and I'd really rather extend my playtime here by finding a nice medium RP and endgame PvE guild. So I would love to transfer over to another server where I can actually get that and enjoy playing the game and finish gearing up my characters while waiting for Makeb and the other new content in 1.4.

PvP...because if you see a player from the other faction, it only makes sense that you should be able to attack it. It would be very weird seeing a Jedi and Sith run up to each other without being hostile. IMO I think most people choose PVE since they are scared that they will get manhandled by another player... even though their response will be something along the lines of not liking unfair fights.

Killing someone at half health or 30 levels below you IS the definition of an unfair fight. Give me an even fight any day over getting ganked while fighting NPCs.

Killing someone at half health or 30 levels below you IS the definition of an unfair fight. Give me an even fight any day over getting ganked while fighting NPCs.

In the SW universe, you don't think there was unfair fights? Anakin went and killed a bunch of young Jedis training... same thing. It just makes sense compared to waving at each other.