The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Transfered from a low pop server to a lower pop server...

ModernZombie

We have plenty of data. The process is going to take weeks and it's one day old.

How young and impatient are you?

old enough to respec other's opinions and what they deem important without judging them or attempting to insult them.

sorry, my characters names and legacy are important to me. and like i've said, if i lose that, i will quit without hesitation.

*EDIT* oh...and if they told me MZL wouldn't be moved until 2 weeks...FINE...at least i know. (i believe that is patience...perhaps?)

Edited by T-Assassin

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps if there was a bit more transparency with regard to the "process" people wouldnt be left wondering why their destination server is lighter than their origin server. Secrecy is great and all.. for covert ops.. but all you guys are doing is opening your "process" up to speculation and conjecture.

What are you missing? It seems very straightforward from what they've communicated.

They will enable free transfers from some servers ("origin") to others ("destination"). They will enable certain combinations of those over time to ensure the service keeps working well instead of shredding characters on the way through.

They do not know the timetable on which they will enable new sets of servers because they are doing it in reaction to how the service is functioning and its level of use.

Their goal is to create servers with larger overall populations. In some cases this means enabling a small number of origin servers to move to a large destination server. In some cases this means enabling a large number of origin servers to move to a small destination server.

What other specific questions to you have, that they're actually able to answer right now, that you don't think they've answered?

(If you want to see the list of all planned free source & destination servers, that seems to be locatable within this web site.)

Edited by DarthTHC

The account page (probably) shows the list of all planned free transfers.

The official transfer page shows the list of currently available free transfers, which is currently a subset of the list on the account page.

It is (probably) easier to update a forum post than the official transfer page so the community team updates that in an effort to get us the most up to date information as quickly as possible.

It looks like the account page is accurate (again, lack of communication letting us know).

The /transfer page should be updated automatically from reading a database, it shouldn't have to be manually plugged in at all (unless they did it wrong). Basically, their official posts on where to get the official information points to a website that doesn't get updated.

Way to dodge his challenge and then attack him on a personal level.

When someone has no points to make and has to resort to name calling, it is a sure sign that they have lost the argument.

old enough to respec other's opinions and what they deem important without judging them or attempting to insult them.

sorry, my characters names and legacy are important to me. and like i've said, if i lose that, i will quit without hesitation.

Which is precisely why they are going with transfers over merges.

If you want to protect your character names (nothing you can do about legacy) you can log onto the likely destination server (based on region and type) and create placeholder characters with the names you want.

Everyone, it's important to remember that we are not done announcing origin and destination servers. We'll be monitoring the process and adding more, and our goal is to have very healthy destination servers. In some cases, several origin servers will go to the same destination server, and we'll open more as necessary. We know you have been waiting for character transfers, but please do remember that this is a process!

Does this mean we can expect to be transfered multiple times, until we reach the goal of healty servers?

The /transfer page should be updated automatically from reading a database, it shouldn't have to be manually plugged in at all (unless they did it wrong). Basically, their official posts on where to get the official information points to a website that doesn't get updated.

Have you ever maintained a web site? If it takes less time to update a web page manually than it does to develop a database lookup, then the former is the way to go. The fact that the community doesn't have the patience to wait a few minutes, hopefully carries very little weight in their cost-benefits analysis.

Edited by Kthx

What are you missing? It seems very straightforward from what they've communicated.

(If you want to see the list of all planned free source & destination servers, that seems to be locatable within this web site.)

i cannot seem to find ANY information regarding the server i play on.

hmmm.

It looks like the account page is accurate (again, lack of communication letting us know).

Manually updating the transfer page will take X man-hours. Creating the ability for that transfer page to be updated from a database, testing it, and ensuring it's always going to work right would be an order of magnitude larger, if not even bigger than that.

There's no value in doing what you suggest when there are far less expensive methods to get the information to us nearly as quickly as the direct link to database option would.

i cannot seem to find ANY information regarding the server i play on.

hmmm.

My server isn't on the list either. I have elected to operate under the assumption this means my server is currently neither a planned origin or destination server.

My server hits STANDARD at prime-time and has a reasonably healthy population, though not nearly as much as the big servers. How about yours?

Which is precisely why they are going with transfers over merges.

If you want to protect your character names (nothing you can do about legacy) you can log onto the likely destination server (based on region and type) and create placeholder characters with the names you want.

how intuitive is that??

seriously, we can change your oil...u just have to buy it all, measure it out, put it in a container i can use to pour it in, lift your car, drain the oil, and remove the filter...

we'll take it from there.

*EDIT* oh...and if they told me MZL wouldn't be moved until 2 weeks...FINE...at least i know. (i believe that is patience...perhaps?)

Your character name being more important than playability of the game confuses me

My server isn't on the list either. I have elected to operate under the assumption this means my server is currently neither a planned origin or destination server.

My server hits STANDARD at prime-time and has a reasonably healthy population, though not nearly as much as the big servers. How about yours?

same 20 people on fleet nightly...both sides.

cannot get a FP group, and the PvP is underwhelming.

BioWare has explained very clearly why they are not publishing the lists in advance.

Click on your name up on the top-right, then click My Account.

Go through the authentication process.

Click the Character Transfer list on the left under the images.

Scroll down.

What do you see?

This is what pisses me off the most. I was hoping that those of us that rerolled on Fatman would be able to consolidate our characters with our main ones. It's as if we're being punished for paying for a service. I just hope a lot of people cancel after this debacle, so this game can die. I know i won't be renewing.

How are they responsible for your hasty choices, based on a problem that was completely player created. You and others jumping to reroll and fatten up that server helped to create this mess by drawing off of other servers, not to mention the whining about queue times in the beginning that started the whole thing. Now you are blaming them because they will not fix a problem for you, that you contributed to, while furthering a problem for them and the rest of us?

Honestly, I do not believe I've experienced an example of selfishness to this degree thus far.

Edited by Blackardin

Since we know for a fact that the process is gradual and spread out over time, would it not be more logical to assume that the fate of your server will be announced in one of the future updates?

I really don't understand this line of thought. If I say "I am now going to read the ten names of the winners of my haiku collection", do you assume that you are not a winner after the first name was read if that name wasn't yours?

Edited by Kthx

Your character name being more important than playability of the game confuses me

i have LITTLE problems with the actual game. (minus content and stuff to do...but, with a better community that will change).

call it what you will, i am quite fond of my characters, their names, what they mean, and how they look...

how intuitive is that??

seriously, we can change your oil...u just have to buy it all, measure it out, put it in a container i can use to pour it in, lift your car, drain the oil, and remove the filter...

we'll take it from there.

Bad analogy is bad.

YOU are the one who likes your character names. If you want to ELECT to transfer AND keep the names then YOU need to take the additional step of testing to see if they are available, and if so protecting them until your server is ready to move.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post

Go to a med droid and get your assumer repaired. They've explained the process many, many times. They explained that it will be done slowly so that they can monitor its progress. They explained that servers would be added as we go (up to 60 atm), and they explained that the population, in its entirety, would be addressed.

I would not go jump off a bridge just yet. If you have a low population server, you will be on the lest as they progress.

Manually updating the transfer page will take X man-hours. Creating the ability for that transfer page to be updated from a database, testing it, and ensuring it's always going to work right would be an order of magnitude larger, if not even bigger than that.

There's no value in doing what you suggest when there are far less expensive methods to get the information to us nearly as quickly as the direct link to database option would.

So you believe they are going to every MyAccount page and manually updating the banner if you have a character on a server that is ready to be transferred?

Ewww... hopefully my assumption is wrong and the list we see on the account character transfer page is incomplete.

i think it is difficult to clearly explain myself to people that do not know me, over the internetz.

i RARELY watch TV...no, i'm not high and mighty, there is nothing worth watching...so, if i'm at home, SWTOR is my TV.

i really enjoy the game, and i'm pretty damn good, too.

so, having my main source of indoor entertainment be up in the air...

to all you fanbois...imagine they reschedule "the big bang theory" (lol...so lame) and they decided NOT to tell you when it was on, or what channel...

so, you come home from work, no cable or tv guide, and you gotta find it...

is that acceptable?

*EDIT* question is not intended for any1 in particular.

Edited by T-Assassin