Jar Jar

Mordegrus

Jar Jar, extremely annoying frog-lizard thing, and responsible for giving Palpatine access to the Clone Army.

Really, I liked the Ewoks better than him.

I hope LucasArts makes a game called, "Killing Gungans"

Advertisement:

KILLING GUNGANS

Citizens of the Galaxy, come together, and create the extinction of the Gungan species.

Destroy our common enemy, and bring order to the Galaxy.

With your help, we might be able to kill off the dreaded Jar Jar, and his people!

;)

as far as ewoks go, google the ewok appreciation line from how I met your mother (I love ewoks)

And as far as Jar Jar goes, hes not as bad as people make him out to be. But he is a ****** character I could do without

Not that bad?

As I have said before I don't hate jar Jar as much as others. Sure he was an idiot but played his role. I really don't see much difference between Jar Jar and the antics of the Ewoks and Threepio.

My threory as to why Jar Jar was so awfully received, and ep 1 for the most part was because Ep 1 came out in the 90's which i regard as a dark age of sci fi. This is when people would rather watch artsy fartsy stuff like Good Will Hunting and as Good as it Gets and where the potential of really hot sci fi movies like Starship Troopers went unrecognized. Muppet characters also seemed to be on the outs in the 90s and I believe people at this time simply had no sense of humor for such creatures, hence Jar Jar's unpopularity.

I believe if jar jar actually came out in one of the 80s Star wars movies back when muppet creatures like ET and Dark Crystal were hot he would have been better received.

Also the 90's was a time of liberal weirdos and I believe another thing that killed Jar Jar was how said liberal weirdoes seemed to see racism in certain aspects of Ep 1. I heard Jar Jar was accused of mocking Jamaicans, and even Watto was accused of mocking Jews and the Neimoidians of mocking some Middle Eastern or Asian ethnicity.

Back in Return of the Jedi, I actually felt Nien Nunb, the Sullustan who rode with Lando during the Death Star attack kind of made fun of Chinese (with his facial structure and dialect) but of course in the 80s no one cared.

Jar Jar, extremely annoying frog-lizard thing, and responsible for giving Palpatine access to the Clone Army.

Really, I liked the Ewoks better than him.

I hope LucasArts makes a game called, "Killing Gungans"

Advertisement:

KILLING GUNGANS

Citizens of the Galaxy, come together, and create the extinction of the Gungan species.

Destroy our common enemy, and bring order to the Galaxy.

With your help, we might be able to kill off the dreaded Jar Jar, and his people!

;)

I didn't think the clone army was formed yet.

As I have said before I don't hate jar Jar as much as others. Sure he was an idiot but played his role. I really don't see much difference between Jar Jar and the antics of the Ewoks and Threepio.

My threory as to why Jar Jar was so awfully received, and ep 1 for the most part was because Ep 1 came out in the 90's which i regard as a dark age of sci fi. This is when people would rather watch artsy fartsy stuff like Good Will Hunting and as Good as it Gets and where the potential of really hot sci fi movies like Starship Troopers went unrecognized. Muppet characters also seemed to be on the outs in the 90s and I believe people at this time simply had no sense of humor for such creatures, hence Jar Jar's unpopularity.

I believe if jar jar actually came out in one of the 80s Star wars movies back when muppet creatures like ET and Dark Crystal were hot he would have been better received.

Also the 90's was a time of liberal weirdos and I believe another thing that killed Jar Jar was how said liberal weirdoes seemed to see racism in certain aspects of Ep 1. I heard Jar Jar was accused of mocking Jamaicans, and even Watto was accused of mocking Jews and the Neimoidians of mocking some Middle Eastern or Asian ethnicity.

Back in Return of the Jedi, I actually felt Nien Nunb, the Sullustan who rode with Lando during the Death Star attack kind of made fun of Chinese (with his facial structure and dialect) but of course in the 80s no one cared.

I was with you untill you started in with your political drivel.

• 1 month later...

I'd agree with this. But I also feel that part of it is the adult fan's perceptions vs the perceptions they had when they were kids. I think a lot of adult fans just couldn't capture the same sense of wonder they had as kids when they first saw the OT.

Jar Jar was one of the key ways Lucas demonstrated how far out of touch he was with his audience. When I sat in the theater, I could feel the waves of awkwardness coming from the crowd and each moment Jar Jar was on screen, I felt like my intelligence was being insulted. Keep in mind that characters like these are supposed to appeal to our humor and wits. I didn't really like what Lucas was saying about his fans when Jar Jar was how he chose to appeal to that side us.

I, for one, never had any issues with jar jar when episode 1 first came out.

of course, i was about 5 when it was released, so...

but really, i believe that people hate jar jar because they remeber episodes 4, 5, and 6 being awesome, and block out the sucky parts, whearas episodes 1, 2, and 3 do not have the benefit of nostalgia.

I'm one of those people who doesn't mind Jar Jar. But I do admit this could be because I was a kid at the time.

One pretty common argument I hear against him is "None of this would've happened if he hadn't given Palpatine emergency powers in Episode II!"

My response to that: True, but it also could've been prevented if Padme had not submitted the Vote of No Confidence in Episode I!