Daniel Erickson Talks About Story on Makeb

1-50 in terms of class content, the ONLY time your companions talked during quest WERE class quest. Yes, they talked to you on your ship, on the fleet, or in a cantina. I am not talking about that, I am talking about them talking DURING a quest cutscene and the only time that happened was during class quest.

I've leveled 4 classes and I have to say after Chapter 1 - and aside from the affection chats (the bulk of which were triggered at the end of Chapter 2) - companions had very little if anything to say about the class quest. When they spoke - and that was rare - it was usually, "You can do this [random thing] for me, right, [Companion]?"

"Sure, chief!" - sometimes they would add a warning about being careful or whatever - and then the rest of your interaction would be with the main NPC class-questgiver (say, Satele Shan, or Darth Whoever, etc.) - If they dispensed with those pearls of cinematic glory, I don't think anyone would notice.

But I doubt Erickson was saying your companions would never speak even once on Makeb. He was asked about companion-specific dialog and that's what he said flat-out "no" to. Companions talking during a cutscene or making their site-specific observations is something different.

Anyhow, I think you're probably right when you say there's not likely to be a class quest right away on Makeb, but not from anything Erickson said: It's unlikely there'll be a class quest because scripting and producing 8 different quests is much harder than scripting just 1 world quest. That's the only basis we have to think there won't be a class quest.

Edited by jgelling

Um, who's to say Companion Dialogue refers to them commenting on story line. It's possible he is referring to new dialogue that is companion specific (Cantina & Ship conversations). So there COULD be class content, but there may not be any new companion story content.

At some point it becomes insanity, right? I mean, seeing the same thing over and over again and expecting it to have different results is looney. ;)

And you do know about the big shakeup at BioWare, right? How they now actually diseminate information much better than they were before? Yeah, we are seeing that here, and I have a feeling they are going to deliver exactly what they've promised.

And insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results". Expecting something good from a company with BioWare's reputation as a good development house is not insanity. Have they disappointed? Somewhat. But then, you have to remember this is their FIRST MMO with a game engine that is still being tested. Code is harder to write for it, since the variables are huge compared to their older game engines. When they finally perfect it, the possibilities will be off the charts.

Um, who's to say Companion Dialogue refers to them commenting on story line. It's possible he is referring to new dialogue that is companion specific (Cantina & Ship conversations). So there COULD be class content, but there may not be any new companion story content.

1.4 is going to be a Companion related patch, but no real news about it yet.

And as was stated earlier, just because a companion doesn't say something during a Class mission, doesn't mean there won't BE any Class missions on the new planet.

It could just as well be ONLY class story content, there is 0 way to infer one way or another from that statement. Stop making things up out from thin air and then claiming they are facts. It's disgusting.

It could just as well be ONLY class story content, there is 0 way to infer one way or another from that statement. Stop making things up out from thin air and then claiming they are facts. It's disgusting.

seireously where do people keep coming up with this BS.

There is conflicting information everywhere. In the E3 trailer it was said clearly that you would be continuing your own personal story. Which leads me to believe you would continue your class story, because you wouldn't be continuing anything personal to your character if it was anything but that.

I say let's just be patient, no use pulling our hair out about it now.

Yes, it could. But chances are, it will be both class and planetary arcs on a pretty large scale if it's going 5 levels up. That is the logical deduction I came up with.

I'm willing to bet most of the stuff int his new update isnt even voice acted. I remember when they promised every mission, every minor thing would be voice acted. Tell that too the new daily's you receive in text form.

Yeah or the random datapads with missions and no voice acting at all especially in corellia or the increasing amount of alien mongreling higher the level of the planet was.

You're missing the point.

1-50 in terms of class content, the ONLY time your companions talked during quest WERE class quest. Yes, they talked to you on your ship, on the fleet, or in a cantina. I am not talking about that, I am talking about them talking DURING a quest cutscene and the only time that happened was during class quest.

Like Bioware said, companions and their personalities are very important to the class story story as they add context. Bioware has made this obvious from the very beginning and it would just go against the grain if they added new class story content but did not add any new dialog to the companions to go with it. THIS is why I speculate that by DE's comments, it sort of confirms that the story on Makeb will be more like Illum in that it excludes class story.

But they don't speak in all of them is the point.

The only time companions speak are during class quests =/= companions speak during all class quests

You may decide to assume that but it doesn't confirm it which makes your thread title misleading like a FOX/CNN headline to get people to click.

*Could* it be that the new planet won't further are class quests? Absolutely.

Has anything they said stated explicitly they wont? No.

They did talk about the story, and how you would pick a side. To me, that kind of means it won't be a class quest going into Makeb. But it could be cool either way, if they make the general storyline interesting, especially if there were a few different paths to take.

I'm thinking that it would be some kind of epic quest chain or something. A little different from what we've had before.

But they don't speak in all of them is the point.

The only time companions speak are during class quests =/= companions speak during all class quests

You may decide to assume that but it doesn't confirm it which makes your thread title misleading like a FOX/CNN headline to get people to click.

*Could* it be that the new planet won't further are class quests? Absolutely.

Has anything they said stated explicitly they wont? No.

The dialogs Erickson was referring to must have been the companion-specific stuff. They're still working on Makeb - there's no way he could possibly say flat-out "no, none of the companions will ever have anything to say during any part of the quest." He would've hedged if that's what he thought was being asked, because they're still working.

He obviously was talking about whether there'd be new conversations where your companions think up someone else in their distant past they need to check up on and you spend 10,000 more affection points dredging up ancient history. He could answer no right away because he knows they're not doing anything at all to develop that stuff in the near future - he couldn't possibly answer no to a question about all the details of every cutscene in Makeb.

Edited by jgelling