New Species should be from community polls

PsychKenn

I am excited to hear that SWTOR is already getting a new playable race with the Cathar. Based on the fact that race is merely cosmetic in this game I hope that Bioware continues to release new races at this pace. I for one believe that they should release a list of 5 or so races that they know they can work towards developing and allow the community to vote on which one gets released. Do this every few months and it involves the community in part of the decision making process which would make most of us happy. Also, don't be afraid to add species that don't speak, i.e. voiceover, just put the subtitles up and we'll be fine.

I am excited to hear that SWTOR is already getting a new playable race with the Cathar. Based on the fact that race is merely cosmetic in this game I hope that Bioware continues to release new races at this pace. I for one believe that they should release a list of 5 or so races that they know they can work towards developing and allow the community to vote on which one gets released. Do this every few months and it involves the community in part of the decision making process which would make most of us happy. Also, don't be afraid to add species that don't speak, i.e. voiceover, just put the subtitles up and we'll be fine.

"The Cathar is the first one, and what we’re going to start doing is really looking at how much interest there is in species. The Cathar will be the first we’re rolling out as they’ve always been popular. We have the stuff, and we know we wanted to do them. After that the hope is if people say “Oh yeah, this is really exciting here. We want to do this.” Then it becomes open to the community and we’ll say, “Hey, ok folks, what do you really want?” I think it’ll be an interesting plan. I think it’ll be really interesting to put the negatives right out there for people to see. Understand that if you demand a species that does not speak English and is made out of Jello, these are going to be the problems that it brings to you. And if people say “that’s what we want more than anything else,” then at this point it is community power."

There you go from the interview with Daniel Erickson at E3 found at Darthhater.com. Underlined is the good news for you, the red text is the bad.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20634-e3-2012-darth-hater-interview-with-daniel-erickson

Edited by Temeluchus

I just hope they allow race changes soon after the release of all these new races. A lot of people are getting to high levels in ALL the advanced classes and don't want to reroll just for race. Maybe it could be a really high level legacy unlock or something, but I can see this being a highly requested feature in the near future.

They should put of polls of species that they choose (to which, they would choose non-jello species lol) and then the community decides from there.

Having a little community democracy would be beneficial. They did it with the whole Jedi Wizard "incident" and things are better for it. Only difference is that their isn't outrage, just a clear desire for certain things.

It was. Several times. Many many polls on this already. Cathar was among the most voted for near-human species. Other species (rodian, wookiee, trandoshan, and other non-human species) will take a completely new storyline, according to BioWare.

Also, just because only Cathar was announced doesn't mean that it's the only near-human species being added. For example, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to see Togruta added, too.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

It was. Several times. Many many polls on this already. Cathar was among the most voted for near-human species. Other species (rodian, wookiee, trandoshan, and other non-human species) will take a completely new storyline, according to BioWare.

Also, just because only Cathar was announced doesn't mean that it's the only near-human species being added. For example, I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to see Togruta added, too.

I remember a poll that was about this. It was something like "James Ohlen is looking for feedback on X" and the thread was open to people to enter their suggestion. One of those community feedback threads was about species.

Edited by monkgryphon

I'm sure there are more factors than just community popularity driving these decisions....however I always question the accuracy of forum polls, even official ones. You're not getting a random or large enough sample size to be statistically accurate.

It always made more sense to me to have random polling in-game (maybe offer some sort of in game reward to those who took the time to participate) in order to get better community feedback on this type of stuff

That said...I still vote for playable Gungans :(

Wookiee would have easily won.

Wookiee did easily win, in each and every poll on this forum, pre- and post-launch. But it's not a near-human species. In fact, wookiee was specifically named by Daniel Erickson as a species that would need an entirely new storyline to make sense, and do the species proper justice.

However, Cathar and Togruta were in the top 3 near-human species voted for in the same polls pre-launch and post-launch.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Wookiee would have easily won.

Can you imagine the rage when force users find out that if they did add wookies only agents/bountyhunters/smugglers/troopers would be able to play them. George Lucas rules, no wookie force users in any game,book or spin off.

speak for yourself, I'm a real starwars fan and something about wickets mouth, mmmmmm. Ewok butts drive me nuts?

You know that was a kid in that suit right? Granted some of the ewok actors were migets but Warrik Davis was a kid at the time of the movie.

Edited by Tuscad

Can you imagine the rage when force users find out that if they did add wookies only agents/bountyhunters/smugglers/troopers would be able to play them. George Lucas rules, no wookie force users in any game,book or spin off.

Wasnt there wookie jedi in swg... I remember seeing some

Wasnt there wookie jedi in swg... I remember seeing some

SWG was before GL brought the gavel down on it. In fact, in KotOR2, Hanharr was originally going to be a Dark Jedi, but George Lucas put the kibosh on that. After SWG, and after 3 wookiee jedi made it into lore, GL had enough.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

You know that was a kid in that suit right? Granted some of the ewok actors were migets but Warrik Davis was a kid at the time of the movie.

Looking too far into a joke.

As for the jedi wook's in SWG, I think thats why GL brought the gavel down wasn't it?

Honestly though, I wan't playable trandoshan's something fierce.

Edited by williambr

Honestly though, I wan't playable trandoshan's something fierce.

So do I. My main was a Trandoshan in SWG. However, I feel strongly enough about it that I would NOT want BioWare to just toss in a Trandoshan into the current storylines. I'm willing to wait even another year if it means I get my own storyline tailored to the lifestyle and lore of a proper T'doshok. Jagannath points, rites, hunts, the works.

Expansion material. Introduce Kashyyyk (which was, by far, the winner of a recent poll by James Ohlen asking which planet we wanted next) with a complete storyline for playable wookiees and trandoshans. Complete with tree villages, Shadow Lands, and rivalry between the two.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Wookiee did easily win, in each and every poll on this forum, pre- and post-launch. But it's not a near-human species. In fact, wookiee was specifically named by Daniel Erickson as a species that would need an entirely new storyline to make sense, and do the species proper justice.

However, Cathar and Togruta were in the top 3 near-human species voted for in the same polls pre-launch and post-launch.

I hope they follow through with that in an expansion.

Would be a great way to reveal a planet or 2 and add more interesting stories to the game. Not to mention bring the lore of the species to life as well.

So do I. My main was a Trandoshan in SWG. However, I feel strongly enough about it that I would NOT want BioWare to just toss in a Trandoshan into the current storylines. I'm willing to wait even another year if it means I get my own storyline tailored to the lifestyle and lore of a proper T'doshok. Jagannath points, rites, hunts, the works.

Expansion material. Introduce Kashyyyk (which was, by far, the winner of a recent poll by James Ohlen asking which planet we wanted next) with a complete storyline for playable wookiees and trandoshans. Complete with tree villages, Shadow Lands, and rivalry between the two.

Oh for sure. I'm actually hoping that somewhere down the line they can throw a wookie/trandoshan issue that draws the republic and empire into kashykk. Maybe the empire will help "instigate" something. I just want to see a vertical landscape that gets darker and darker the deeper you go. I really feel like TOR is missing that "Creepy dark" area(i.e. dagobah/shadowlands)

Lowbacca? Young Jedi Knights?

Lmao, wookiee imperial agents.

Lowbacca? Young Jedi Knights?

Oh I'm not opposed to it, but this is what I've always heard

While Wookie Jedi are not unheard of they should be very rare. The reasoning behind this is the fact that Wookies have a lifespan of around 400 years. This means force sensitive Wookies will be born in much larger intervals than shorter-lived races. You could probably expect a new force sensitive wookie every 1,000 years or so.

George Lucas has declared no more Wookie Jedi will be created for the Expanded Universe. This leaves Tyvokka[1], Kirlocca[2] and Lowbacca[3] as the only official Wookie Jedi in the Star Wars Universe. Horororibb[4] has been speculated to be a Jedi as well due to the spelling of the name, but its not official. The Wookies have most likely been limited due to overuse

of course this comes from a wiki page, but you can find the same intel in pretty much anything related to wookies online.

Edited by williambr

Lmao, wookiee imperial agents.

Lol, they wouldn't use shiv, instead they would come out of stealth and hit you with an 220lb club.

You know, that would make the knock down on ops openers make more sense, I mean come on, a wookie swinging a clubs gonna knock you down, and its gonna take along time to get back up lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.