My Problem With Character Transfer

Kulis

I do appreciate how you feel, actually. When the early release launch started, I ran to my computer to nab the names I'd picked for my characters, and I haven't changed any of those names in all the months of gameplay I've enjoyed since then. I may manuever the names around between my characters but they're always the same names.

But, honestly, at the end of the day, I just want to play the game. Call my girl whatever, as long as she can get in there and shoot the bad guys with her dual blasters.

Can we dispense with the "transfer" euphemism?

A character transfer implies the user has a choice to move to another server.

This is NOT a transfer - it's a merger with a half-*** opt-out. You can only go to one server - the one your entire server is being merged with - and if you don't go you're going to remain on a somehow even more dead server than you have already - until they turn the lights out.

That sounds like a merger to me. To be considered a transfer they'd have to give you some choice - however restricted - of more than one destination server. I know they don't want to call it what it is because "server mergers" have negative PR, but it bothers me when people just bend the language to the point of breaking. These are the mergers a lot of the forum-goers were asking for, but they're going to be semi-voluntary so they can gauge how many takers they get in the initial rounds.

All that said OP, it sounds like your server won't be anywhere near the front of the line when this process starts rolling and you might be a candidate for a destination, rather than an origin. I wouldn't worry about it until the day comes.

"Transfer" just means to move from one location to another, and nothing else was ever "implied". Just because you had a preconceived notion of what that meant to you before they announced anything doesn't mean that their definitions are somehow inaccurate. There were a hundred threads on this board warning people to not guess at what was meant because all the ACTUAL information was vague at best, but here we are, with people crying about what was "implied". Holy crap, you'd think that common sense had gone completely extinct.

"Transfer" just means to move from one location to another, and nothing else was ever "implied". Just because you had a preconceived notion of what that meant to you before they announced anything doesn't mean that their definitions are somehow inaccurate. There were a hundred threads on this board warning people to not guess at what was meant because all the ACTUAL information was vague at best, but here we are, with people crying about what was "implied". Holy crap, you'd think that common sense had gone completely extinct.

Really? Is that the common usage of the term "transfer" in MMOs - we're going to move everyone from several servers onto one server?

I don't much care for spin - those used to be called server "mergers."

It doesn't matter to me because I agree with most of the board - they needed to do mergers, not transfers, because actual transfers would cause all kinds of disruption as people scrambled for the top servers. I'd just wish they'd be honest about what's going on.

Edited by jgelling

My concern with the free transfers are :

This will leave some servers with some really low population... What will happen to our guildmates who have an inactive account? Will they wake up on a dead server and have to pay to get to a life full server? That'd be a shame. We should all get awarded a transfer token, active AND inactive accounts.

Really? Is that the common usage of the term "transfer" in MMOs - we're going to move everyone from several servers onto one server?

In the real world where there's still some honesty in words and their meaning, those used to be called server "mergers."

It doesn't matter to me because I agree with most of the board - they needed to do mergers, not transfers, because actual transfers would cause all kinds of disruption. I'd just wish they'd be honest about what's going on.

Um, in the real world, words mean things, and the definition of the word "transfer" is to move to another location and nothing else. People who like to be prepared for things disregard what the common perception is, and focus on what is said, and what was said is that there would be transfers. Nothing more, nothing less. Being mad that you took what they said and assumed they meant that the industry usually means when they use that word, is silly and a waste of effort. It is what it is.

Really, in a role playing game where you are creating your hero names aren't important?

Unique names is a terribly out of date concept, players should have an unique identifier that allows them to pick any name they want and have the identifier to fall back on like an address.

BS. If you do that then you end up with servers full of Daves, Marks, Chris's, Paul's. You group up with 5 Pauls and you want one Paul to tank the Elite on the left and another Paul the tank the Elite on the right. But what do you call them some hash tag like #34343?

Edited by JerokTalram

Um, in the real world, words mean things, and the definition of the word "transfer" is to move to another location and nothing else. People who like to be prepared for things disregard what the common perception is, and focus on what is said, and what was said is that there would be transfers. Nothing more, nothing less. Being mad that you took what they said and assumed they meant that the industry usually means when they use that word, is silly and a waste of effort. It is what it is.

LOL, words have more than a literal definition. By your understanding, if the bank forecloses on your house and kicks you to the curb, you've merely been transferred as well.

I'm not mad - I'm just honest about how things really are. These are mergers.