The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP: Tank vs DPS

Z-ToXiN

So I just started a new PT. I have some experience playing as a tank Vanguard. Now I am wondering whether to try DPS on my PT. I have a good idea of how to play tanks in PVP, having a Sin and Van tank. There defintiely seem to be a lot of good guides and extensive posts about PTs which I will read.

So what I want to ask is about how Powertech tank and DPS builds compare in terms of playstyle and ability priorities. How would things change from going from something along the lines of the Iron Fist to a full on DPS build (and yeah, I know it depends on what build).

I just wanted to create some discussion and comparison on playing Tank versus DPS Powertechs in PVP.

As of 1.2, Pyro is superior, on pretty much all scales. Shield techs just don't have as much survivability as they should.

As of 1.3, It should be a lot closer because BW is patching Shield Techs pretty well, but Pyro seems pretty good (very good, in fact) that I think they'll still be better, if only marginally.

Then again, it depends on the group(s) you play with. If your guild needs a tank, 1.3 will make STs viable.

As of 1.2, Pyro is superior, on pretty much all scales. Shield techs just don't have as much survivability as they should.

As of 1.3, It should be a lot closer because BW is patching Shield Techs pretty well, but Pyro seems pretty good (very good, in fact) that I think they'll still be better, if only marginally.

Then again, it depends on the group(s) you play with. If your guild needs a tank, 1.3 will make STs viable.

Im sorry but are you smoking crack? as of 1.3 shield tech specs are taking a major hit. we get no survivability increase which we need since the decenses/mechanics for defence/shield as of right now are crap in pvp. also we are getting a HUGE nerf on our best attack (RP) for the shield tech. we are losing 30% surge rating for 12% damage increase to a worthless attack except for debuffing enemies damage and also getting a freeshot for an attack that is never used (flame sweep) becasue its so bad. the only reason ppl ever use it is to stop caps and to debuff ppls damage. also we are getting our crit for (RP) nerfed by a total of 14% or 7% per point spent. also we are getting an aoe proc on our dmage that is done from Ion Gas cylinder which already dones next to nothing in damage... the only plus to this ability is that we can get a snare from ranged since rail shot procs this. however even the snare only lasts 2 seconds.

so ya we are getting a really good improvement to our spec or wait...

lol, Shieldtechs along with all other tanks, are getting NERFED for PvP. We're not getting it as bad as assassins, but still, damage wise, ST will do less burst in PvP. We are getting buffed however for PvE in the ways of better threat.