Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Why are they moving people from one dead server to another with the exception of a few like fatman and jedi cov?

Wouldnt have made alot more sence to move several servers to 1 destination server enhancing the population that way . Instead of just shuffling them from on bad server to another?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is only 1 RP-PVP West server then you will not have anyone trasnfering to you or be able to transfer. Its the same as in EU. East and West is like French and German they wont be combined.

In other words your stuck with only the people that are currently on your server now for a long time before anything is done to help you.

I really hope you're mistaken. Somehow I don't think you are though.

Lol, well I guess the people that create these games aren't very smart. How could they not think players would attempt to go on their characters as the transfer is about to happen? For all we know, the person put in the request for transfer, and quickly realized he had mail on his guy, so he had to quickly try and get it... while not expecting that the transfer was going to happen so quickly.

No one knows the reason for people logging on their character during it, the bottom line is, BW had a LOT of time to plan this. THIS is what could save the game, and the companies name... it was a situation where they had to not have a mistake, and it was such a simple thing to think of. Says a lot about a company when they don't even think of this scenario.

Yeah, see, that's the thing about hindsight. Things look so clear after the fact, right? ;)

Saying that it will take up to 3 hours makes it worse, people will think that they might have the 3 hours to quickly go on their character to do something. Also, for the lead paint.... people are aware of things like that, and I bet some people have tried it without knowing. As much as you might think its common sense to not go on a character in the process of being transferred, its not. There is a lot of people that know nothing about computers. Maybe your life is all about computers so its common sense to you, but it isn't for everyone.

What are you talking about, what does this have todo with computer knowledge its stated clearly in the faqs provided to you, me and everyone else, and what your sugesting is the people who had this happen to them are the reason why plastic bags say not for human consumption written on them.

Because it's not humanly possible to cover every single possible maybe scenario that this universe has to offer. Bugs are going to be found, it doesn't matter who the developer is, who the coders are, unless they are <insert your preferred deity here>.

I haven't been a part of a merge or transfer yet in my 10+ years of MMOing that didn't have some bug somewhere in it.

Now, can we get real please?

I agree its impossible to make it Fail Safe in some situations, but the issue that caused it to screw up was very basic...

Also, they had a ton of time to make sure it was going to go smooth. So it SHOULD of been humanly possible to cover every possible scenario with this much time. They are the ones that created the game, they should know how to fill all the gaps for possible issues.

Why are they moving people from one dead server to another with the exception of a few like fatman and jedi cov?

Wouldnt have made alot more sence to move several servers to 1 destination server enhancing the population that way . Instead of just shuffling them from on bad server to another?

They are in fact moving several origin servers on to 1 single destination server.

What are you talking about, what does this have todo with computer knowledge its stated clearly in the faqs provided to you, me and everyone else, and what your sugesting is the people who had this happen to them are the reason why plastic bags say not for human consumption written on them.

Where does it tell you to not log on to your character? It only says you will be unable to, it doesn't say to not do it.

I seriously lol'd at this one. Checking that a transfer logs the player out automatically is not coving every single possibility the universe has to offer, it's the very basics of what should be tested prior to implementation. Even you should see this.

I can tell you with a certain amount of certainty that any bug that shows itself after the fact feels like a "duh" moment. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20, and most bugs are simple fixes, but it still doesn't mean you'll get them all.

Where does it tell you to not log on to your character? It only says you will be unable to, it doesn't say to not do it.

so saying you will be unable to but somehow you manage to is somehow makes the unable to not exist anymore does it ?

what else are you supposidly unable todo but if you manage to do it makes it alright.

Obviously I'm in the minority... I wanted to move from a PVP server to an RP-PVP server. I'm wondering (because the wording is a smidgeon ambiguous) if this will be possible in the foreseeable future? Like, within months of implementing the first wave of origin to destination server type transfers.

I just... this game's had so many things I've disagreed with/been mildly upset over and had to wait through getting patched and fixed, and I would like to know if this is one of the things that will develop more into an open system, or if I should just completely re-roll. Because that's really unacceptable. I understand the alternative to this smoothly controlled server population equation is something like the server pop crisis in the game which will not be named. I'm down with the idea. I'd just like to be able to change server types.

Yeah, see, that's the thing about hindsight. Things look so clear after the fact, right? ;)

Actually it is very clear from the beginning...You make it sound like its something that would be easily missed.... when its something they should of easily considered would happen. They should of thought of this when brainstorming ideas for what a customer might do when he just clicked to have his character transferred.... an obvious one would be, he might try to go on his character as he waits for it to happen, thinking that it will just boot him off when it happens. Or like I said earlier, quickly had to empty his mail box in the game

Actually it is very clear from the beginning...You make it sound like its something that would be easily missed.... when its something they should of easily considered would happen. They should of thought of this when brainstorming ideas for what a customer might do when he just clicked to have his character transferred.... an obvious one would be, he might try to go on his character as he waits for it to happen, thinking that it will just boot him off when it happens. Or like I said earlier, quickly had to empty his mail box in the game

It's easier than you think. Because if it wasn't this bug, it would have been another, or the other, and since most bugs are simple fixes, any of them would have been equally "duh-worthy".

Again, it still doesn't mean you're going to find them all. The question here isn't how easy it is to prevent or fix, but the sheer number of "what-if" scenarios.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

so saying you will be unable to but somehow you manage to is somehow makes the unable to not exist anymore does it ?

what else are you supposidly unable todo but if you manage to do it makes it alright.

Well considering this is an experienced company, Id assume they should know that when something says you are UNABLE to do it, it should very well be impossible to do. Especially on a day that a LOT of the people paying to play this game have been waiting for...and also the people that unsubbed, waiting to come back once this is done. When people see another screw up, especially on a BIG day for this game... its a very bad sign.

I can tell you with a certain amount of certainty that any bug that shows itself after the fact feels like a "duh" moment. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20, and most bugs are simple fixes, but it still doesn't mean you'll get them all.

Indeed it would have been a "duh" moment, and most likely somebody somewhere is getting themselves a new one ripped for making such a basic error. So you agree now that it was the responsibility of BW and not of the customer who logged in during transfer?

Well considering this is an experienced company, Id assume they should know that when something says you are UNABLE to do it, it should very well be impossible to do. Especially on a day that a LOT of the people paying to play this game have been waiting for...and also the people that unsubbed, waiting to come back once this is done. When people see another screw up, especially on a BIG day for this game... its a very bad sign.

Right, so now its because its an experience company in the mmo market. When something says your unable to then you know you shouldnt be doing it. If a bug allows you todo something you shouldnt be able to there is a name for that, its called exploiting.

So tell me, when is it ok for you todo something in this game that your supposidly unable todo be it ingame or on the forums/your account settings.

Indeed it would have been a "duh" moment, and most likely somebody somewhere is getting themselves a new one ripped for making such a basic error. So you agree now that it was the responsibility of BW and not of the customer who logged in during transfer?

Both. Us players bear some responsibility to educate ourselves about how the system is supposed to work. Nothing you say will eradicate that fact.

It's easier than you think. Because if it wasn't this bug, it would have been another, or the other, and since most bugs are simple fixes, any of them would have been equally "duh-worthy".

Again, it still doesn't mean you're going to find them all. The question here isn't how easy it is to prevent or fix, but the sheer number of "what-if" scenarios.

They have done the server transfers to the Asia Pacific region already, they've had months since then to test it, how could they NOT think of this? If its that fast of a fix, they should of just disabled the servers for a couple hours, and fixed it, then resumed the transfers.... give everyone a free day of game time. The game is unplayable for many people right now, as the servers are dead... I doubt people would care if the servers were offline for a short time. Other than servers like Fatman, although a couple hours of downtime is nothing compared to months of being on a dead server.

Right, so now its because its an experience company in the mmo market. When something says your unable to then you know you shouldnt be doing it. If a bug allows you todo something you shouldnt be able to there is a name for that, its called exploiting.

So tell me, when is it ok for you todo something in this game that your supposidly unable todo be it ingame or on the forums/your account settings.

That is a completely different type of exploiting... this is an unintentional type of exploiting, where it doesn't even benefit the player in anyway... as far as getting an upper hand in the game.

You really think people read all the info that they are given? I bet a good amount of people clicked to transfer, and then closed the window instantly. Yeah, like I said, its not smart... but BW should of checked into this before it happened. You are defending the company, when it IS a screw up on their game.... in any situation, if a glitch is in their game and it causes something to go wrong then it is THEIR fault. Just like how if a automobile company screws up when they create a type of vehicle, they have to make recalls and fix the issue, its not a customer that used it incorrectly, it was broken from the start.

That is a completely different type of exploiting... this is an unintentional type of exploiting, where it doesn't even benefit the player in anyway... as far as getting an upper hand in the game.

You really think people read all the info that they are given? I bet a good amount of people clicked to transfer, and then closed the window instantly. Yeah, like I said, its not smart... but BW should of checked into this before it happened. You are defending the company, when it IS a screw up on their game.... in any situation, if a glitch is in their game and it causes something to go wrong then it is THEIR fault. Just like how if a automobile company screws up when they create a type of vehicle, they have to make recalls and fix the issue, its not a customer that used it incorrectly, it was broken from the start.

Now your assuming there is no benefit from this, what if in the process of xfer if you stay on a char thats being xfer it copys to the destination server but at the same time keeps the original on the origin server in the same sense of how the pts xfer works.

So i say again intentional or not when its clearly stated you should be unable todo something when is it ok todo it anyway.

Edited by Shingara

Both. Us players bear some responsibility to educate ourselves about how the system is supposed to work. Nothing you say will eradicate that fact.

ah ok, so you've shifted now from it being no fault of BWs to it being a combined effort lol.

Edited by Jasonito

I think this would probably please 99% of the people...

Free transfers of any character and any guild to any server, limit once a week for each character.

Guild moved automatically if desired.

And yes, it's being done right now in Rift: http://www.riftgame.com/en/community/character-transfer.php

I am in the 1% that will not be pleased!

For one I have character on a server that I played on initially and moved with a guild to another. Now the guild is on a dying server and I won't be ale to reclaim my lost 50 on the other server.

Secondly what if we don't like where were going? We do have a preference...

Thirdly, this IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Mergers would have been better. Now your going to strand several on dead servers...? How is that going to work.?

Yes everyone remember this. Next time anything happens dont listen to what Bioware tells you to do go buy a do it yourself programming book and learn how it should be done or else its just as much your fault as it is Biowares.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.