Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooohhhh! You guys notice that the "Character Transfer, Server Populations and You" blog post just went away? Or is that just something malfunctioning on my end...

Paige

It's something on your end, sorry :)

This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.

So, we're locked in to a destination server, ... Or what? Pay to go elsewhere?

Here's the thing:

Against many's wishes, by design you bifurcated communities into Rep and Imp mirrors. Also by design, you fractured avatars within accounts and guilds entirely, such that Rep avatar and Imp avatar shall not interact in any way be it credits or gear. Loudly and clearly, you ignored common sense and bifurcated our avatars among diff factions.

As a result of no benefit to having alts of diff factions on the same server, and a big benefit of having alts of other factions on another server to preserve 8 slots on one server to avatars who can interact and exchange, many chose to create their faction avatar and guild mirrors on a different server.

BUT WAIT, in their infinite wisdom, Bioware sees the error of their ways and now starts to unwind the strict barriers between factional alts (something I knew was inevitable and led to the bust up of 3 guilds due to this fracas, all pointless player strife on Bioware's shoulders)... unwind ... Be it trade, legacy perk integration, or who knows what else is coming with the unravelling?

So now, players are motivated to have their alts of diff factions on the same server.

BUT WAIT, AGAIN, Bioware tells us that our Imp Alts and mirrors on Server A, cant choose to come to Server X where their Rep alts are, or vice versa, but have to instead go to Server G, only then to what?, have to pay to go to Server X where they would have been all along if Bioware wouldn't have subjected us to their sacred cows of faction bifurcation in the first place?

Edited by Verdan

Here's the thing:

Against many's wishes, by design you bifurcated communities into Rep and Imp mirrors. Also by design, you fractured avatars within accounts and guilds entirely, such that Rep avatar and Imp avatar shall not interact in any way be it credits or gear. Loudly and clearly, you ignored common sense and bifurcated our avatars among diff factions.

As a result of no benefit to having alts of diff factions on the same server, and a big benefit of having alts of other factions on another server to preserve 8 slots on one server to avatars who can interact and exchange, many chose to create their faction avatar and guild mirrors on a different server.

BUT WAIT, in their infinite wisdom, Bioware sees the error of their ways and now starts to unwind the strict barriers between factional alts... Be it trade, legacy perk integration, or who knows what else is coming with the unravelling?

So now, players are motivated to have their alts of diff factions on the same server.

BUT WAIT, AGAIN, Bioware tells us that our Imp Alts and mirrors on Server A, cant choose to come to Server X where their Rep alts are, or vice versa, but have to instead go to Server G, only then to what?, have to pay to go to Server X where they would have been all along if Bioware wouldn't have subjected us to their sacred cows of faction bifurcation in the first place?

Lots of questions and assumptions, leaning toward the pessimistic.

Lots of questions and assumptions, leaning toward the pessimistic.

Like many of the fundamental issues we're saddled and stranded with, only six months into TOR's wayward trajectory - see my Issues thread - it falls repeatedly to lack of options and choice, and instead being Force-fed some individual's sacred cows (btw that someone being associated directly with NGE). Case in point here, that we were forced to bifurcate :) our avatars into different guilds, communities, and servers rather than leave factional choices (Rep, Imp, Mixed) to individual guild communities.

We had no choice, and have paid a steep price in "misery index" dealing with the bifurcation in each guild thus far, and now have to pick up the pieces.

It was SO predictable (in fact I did predict it, no duh) that it was completely avoidable. Yet we've suffered for it for a good year since they announced the bifurcation approach and guild search tool, all of which they're now slowly unwinding and pulling off the bandage slowly and painfully.

Thanks to a lack of project leadership and being Force-fed someone's sacred cows, rather than being given choices. Half the issues in my Issues thread fall into this category.

So, yeah, call me a pessimist, and oddly, that's not how I'm known. I'm usually the first to give people the opportunity to show what they got, and give the benefit of the doubt ... Until they hang themselves with their performance. Then, I'm not one to be quiet and let non-performance continue or slide, which benefits nobody except the person(s) causing the damage.

Edited by Verdan

Here's the thing:

BUT WAIT, in their infinite wisdom, Bioware sees the error of their ways and now starts to unwind the strict barriers between factional alts (something I knew was inevitable and led to the bust up of 3 guilds due to this fracas, all pointless player strife on Bioware's shoulders)... unwind ... Be it trade, legacy perk integration, or who knows what else is coming with the unravelling?

Well, when the servers are revealed, Mr Optimist, :) what do you think the odds are of having our alt faction mirror avatars on Server A being selected as an Origin server, and then if True, being selected to move to Server X where our mains/Guild are, rather than being shipped to Server y ; where y does not equal X ? Lol

Like many of the fundamental issues we're saddled and stranded with, only six months into TOR's wayward trajectory - see my Issues thread - it falls repeatedly to lack of options and choice, and instead being Force-fed some individual's sacred cows (btw that someone being associated directly with NGE). Case in point here, that we were forced to bifurcate :) our avatars into different guilds, communities, and servers rather than leave factional choices (Rep, Imp, Mixed) to individual guild communities.

We had no choice, and have paid a steep price in "misery index" dealing with the bifurcation in each guild thus far, and now have to pick up the pieces.

It was SO predictable (in fact I did predict it, no duh) that it was completely avoidable. Yet we've suffered for it for a good year since they announced the bifurcation approach and guild search tool, all of which they're now slowly unwinding and pulling off the bandage slowly and painfully.

Thanks to a lack of project leadership and being Force-fed someone's sacred cows, rather than being given choices. Half the issues in my Issues thread fall into this category.

So, yeah, call me a pessimist, and oddly, that's not how I'm known. I'm usually the first to give people the opportunity to show what they got, and give the benefit of the doubt ... Until they hang themselves with their performance. Then, I'm not one to be quiet and let non-performance continue or slide, which benefits nobody except the person(s) causing the damage.

Maybe it was so "predictable" and not avoided because that's the entire design intent? To be, you know, a BioWare game? And BioWare has not only been completely open about that fact, they also came out and said that would be the reason this game "won't be for everyone"?

"We are making a BioWare game that takes the player through a story, from beginning to end!"

"I predict that playing TOR will be linear!"

"Uhh...well, duh, that's pretty much what they just said. Stories, by their very nature, are linear. Otherwise, it's not much of a story..." :confused:

As far as any reall choices within that story, and consequences thereof, you can thank your fellow players for their removal.

However, all of that has very little bearing on the actual topic at hand. Choices are coming. But generally choices are much better after the issue of population is addressed, don't you think? And addressing that population requires a methodical approach.

I, for one, would not ever remotely trust this community with a free-for-all transfer approach. Not one single iota.

Well, when the servers are revealed, Mr Optimist, :) what do you think the odds are of having our alt faction mirror avatars on Server A being selected as an Origin server, and then if True, being selected to move to Server X where our mains/Guild are, rather than being shipped to Server y ; where y does not equal X ? Lol

As was mentioned before, BioWare's responsibility in this instance is to fix low populations for free, not player choices.

Once BioWare fixes the population, you will have a chance to fix your own choices with a broader, more open transfer system.

Maybe it was so "predictable" and not avoided because that's the entire design intent? ....

LOL my point exactly. Predictable... Design intent... Avoidable... Project Leadership and Sacred Cows.

Don't play with sharp objects. Think about it.

I, for one ...

Really?

:)

Edited by Verdan

LOL my point exactly. Predictable... Design intent... Avoidable... Project Leadership and Sacred Cows.

What I don't trust is any pretentious cliches beginning with, "I, for one..."

Ah, so we're having a subjective conversation disguised as philosophy. It's simple, actually. Don't like the design? Go away.

Because there are plenty who are perfectly happy with it.

Really?

:)

Sooo..... what's wrong with it? I love it just the way it is. Obviously, it's not the game for you. :rolleyes:

Ah, so we're having a subjective conversation disguised as philosophy. It's simple, actually. Don't like the design? Go away.

Because there are plenty who are perfectly happy with it.

Ah, so that the predictability of them back pedaling on their design intent - after all ... that is what I was talking about that they are doing - would be Bioware catering to the feedback of just me? I'm so glad they're acting just on my wishes alone, I feel so empowered. And since they're acting on my wishes, that means it's no longer for you... So no soup for you!

Critical Thinking

Edited by Verdan