Sonic Barrier, how good is it?

I tried watching my character sheet for a change in absorption numbers, but nothing happens when the buff is up.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth of trying to keep it up every 12 seconds, or if the extra 20% from the warleader set bonus is worth it?

It is only better then a tanksin's ability to heal themselves for 12% of their health when force scream is on a 9 second cd from the Vengeance talent. Unlike a tanksin channeling force lightning the bubble cannot be interrupted, CC'ed, stunned, knockbacked, etc. since it is an instant cast 10m ability. The bubble absorbs for as much as force scream does in damage. Therefore if you are wearing dps gear the bubble will be bigger since force scream will do more damage. You can leave the 2 points into Savagery by only putting 1 point into Deafening Defense with a 17/24/0 build to try and max dps.

I love the bubble and use it all the time.

I tried watching my character sheet for a change in absorption numbers, but nothing happens when the buff is up.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth of trying to keep it up every 12 seconds, or if the extra 20% from the warleader set bonus is worth it?

It's not based off your shield generator, it's a damage absorbing bubble like the Sorcerer one, it will absorb X amount of dmg then go away. There's no roll chance for shielding etc, it just goes up. Basically increasing your effective health.

It's fairly terrible, really. My parser shows it absorbs about 850 damage a shot, which isn't a lot every 12 seconds. Even worse, it is quite literally outside our shield/armor, so it mitigates less than a heal for 850 one.

It's not even close to what a tank sin gets, what with 10% every 12 sec, 450 every 6 seconds, and 9% however often they can fire out harnassed darkness.

As for if it's worth using set bonus or Aug's for 2 spots, not certain. I use a 13/28 Veng build for tanking, so I don't get Sonic barrier, as so use the Aug's myself.

It isn't a bad talent, but it really isn't anything to write home about. I do wish it absorbed a bit more or somehow enhanced our shield % and absorb % for X amount of time instead - or possibly allowed our shields to affect more types of damage.

If it doesn't change between now and live 1.3, Sonic Barrier is going to scale, which it currently does not.

Even in its current form, every Juggernaut tank should have it, imo. Why a tank would knowingly pass up a decent source of mitigation is beyond me.

Riôt

Are you using DPS gear or TANK gear? I will have to fire up the parser to see but, my level 40 guardian bubble absorbs for 500-650. Which is the exact same amount that force scream does or whatever the guardian talent is called. I noticed a big change in the bubble by respecing from tank, to a hybrid, and swapping out gear. The bubble got bigger and scaled with force scream damage done.

There are set bonuses that can greatly improve the talent, you can pop relics/adrenals, change forms, and get rid of the shield gen. for more bubble too. I cannot see why you could not get a 2k bubble easy, which on a 9 second cd would be better then the tanksin's ability to heal and it is an instant. I was thinking of PvP and not PvE when making this statement too.

I cannot believe as slow as BW is that they hotfixed this in the last week.

Edited by Butterstoo

Are you using DPS gear or TANK gear? I will have to fire up the parser to see but, my level 40 guardian bubble absorbs for 500-650. Which is the exact same amount that force scream does or whatever the guardian talent is called. I noticed a big change in the bubble by respecing from tank, to a hybrid, and swapping out gear. The bubble got bigger and scaled with force scream damage done.

There are set bonuses that can greatly improve the talent, you can pop relics/adrenals, change forms, and get rid of the shield gen. for more bubble too. I cannot see why you could not get a 2k bubble easy, which on a 9 second cd would be better then the tanksin's ability to heal and it is an instant. I was thinking of PvP and not PvE when making this statement too.

I cannot believe as slow as BW is that they hotfixed this in the last week.

Wait... so the bubble actually scales with the amount of *damage* done? i.e. as a tank, in tank gear, and with the 1.3 nerfs to tank damage I'm not really going to get much out of this tank skill tree talent? While my dps brethren actually get to make better use of it? Why is this talent in the immortal tree again? :rak_02:

edited* The parser does not lie and it says I am wrong >.<. It must have been the 20% extra dmg reduction after a charge that was fooling me. I tired out a couple different things, but my bubble only absorbed for 525 and I could not get it to change even running around naked. The amount of dmg reduction is not taken into account by the parser if I am not mistaken. If I am in Soresu form the bubble absorbs the same amount according to the parser even though I take 6% more dmg before it breaks since I am taking 6% less. The only way to scale the bubble atm is with dmg reduction.

It is still not a "bad" talent, but it could be better. The best way to get the most out of it atm is to be in Soresu Form for the 6% dmg reduction, pick up the 4% out of the middle tree, and grab the 4 piece PvE set bonus for 20% extra.

If you charge you get 20% more for 4 seconds, you can add either the 40% dmg reduction or the 15% one to make the the "bubble" absorb more before it breaks and health loss begins. Therefore with the extra dmg reduction and shorter cd, hybrid tanks get more use out of the talent then full speced tanks atm.

I blame it on having to many toons and the torhead post that said it was based on dmg. It was after reading that post that I tried the respec and gear swap. I should have confirmed it with the parser or finished leveling my guardian before posting.

Edited by Butterstoo

Wait... so the bubble actually scales with the amount of *damage* done? i.e. as a tank, in tank gear, and with the 1.3 nerfs to tank damage I'm not really going to get much out of this tank skill tree talent? While my dps brethren actually get to make better use of it? Why is this talent in the immortal tree again? :rak_02:

No, it scales with bonus damage from gear (from strength and power on your gear) is what they are saying, although I think it is actually bonus healing. This makes it scale with primary stat bonuses, power, and expertise. At least this is theoretically the case.

Do people not understand what I said or English? That it absorbed for a fixed amount and that the only way to get it to absorb more in 1.2 is with DAMAGE REDUCTION.

At level 50 a parser will report that it absorbed 850 dmg. If you have 50% damage reduction against that type of attack then the bubble will absorb 1700 before it breaks.