Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

A new level cap just might be the gamebreaker for me

Falke

you do understand the price right? all reseblance of balance burned over night, all the old endgame content tossed under the carpet, yeah its pretty much the deal breaker for most of the ppl that stuck to the game through thick and thin and stay active to servers with 50 active ppl.

Thank you for existing good sir ;)

For a moment I almost thought I'm talking Chinese because it seemed no one even knew the problem existed. Which isn't exaclty new to MMOs.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grant you that you clearly did not get my point at all. As such there is really no point in even trying to argue with the rest of your statement which has nothing to do with the fact I'm no longer motivated in researching current high level gear for my companions. How this could be connected to vanity gear or the fact that I don't absolutely need companions in the best possible gear boggles my mind. Of course I don't have to do that. I don't have to do anything. It is just what I'm currently doing at level 50 because I feel like it. With this news I no longer feel like it since it has no point. Which takes my motivation to play and thus pay. It isn't very complicated really.

If you actualy knew what you were on about you would realise that ops gears is not and will not ever be the best gear for companions. As such you farming ops for your companions was and always will be a pointless activity. Of which i stated in the post you quoted of me just then.

Have you people never played MMOs before? Like really. Not trolling here at all.

They are SUPPOSED to increase the level cap. We are SUPPOSED to progress the story and our power this way.

Being level 50 forever is not what was planned and no one should have expected that.

Yes I have. And not all of them do this. In fact in my book only the poorly designed ones do. But again that's another topic. This MMO does absolutely everything the classic way so of course it does this too. I just say that it is breaking my motivation to play level 50 right now and that I think with the lack of current endgame activity it might not be a good move to make current endgmae already outdated.

As for having played MMO's before it is getting amazingly tiresome to hear this from people who have clearly only ever played the Everyquest/WoW pricniple. There are MMOs that work differently. They do not have to be like this. It isn't a law from god.

I agree with the OP. The level cap is WAYYYY to SOON. Even if it doesn't come out until December it's way too soon. This game has yet to fully establish itself. I mean really a lot of people probably don't even feel too connected to their characters, playtime, or their account.

Hell WoW didn't even raise their level cap until 2 years after it's initial release and we're getting one possibly in 1 year or less after release?

Edited by Aricus

If you actualy knew what you were on about you would realise that ops gears is not and will not ever be the best gear for companions. As such you farming ops for your companions was and always will be a pointless activity. Of which i stated in the post you quoted of me just then.

That would be an absolutely valid point. If I farmed ops gear for companions. Which I don't.

Are you sure you are talking to me? Because it doesn't feel like it.

To make this perfectly clear: What I do right now is reverse engineer gear for compaions. I have all the profesions and I'm trying to make the ideal purple sets for each companion (to the best of my knowledge I probably don't get it entirely right). This is a lot of work and will take months to complete as you can do different specialzied purples for almost all of them.

Yes I have. And not all of them do this. In fact in my book only the poorly designed ones do. But again that's another topic. This MMO does absolutely everything the classic way so of course it does this too. I just say that it is breaking my motivation to play level 50 right now and that I think with the lack of current endgame activity it might not be a good move to make current endgmae already outdated.

As for having played MMO's before it is getting amazingly tiresome to hear this from people who have clearly only ever played the Everyquest/WoW pricniple. There are MMOs that work differently. They do not have to be like this. It isn't a law from god.

Yes there are MMOs that work differently. They are called sandbox MMOs. This is a theme park MMO (and quite frankly the purest theme park MMO there has ever been). Horizontal progression is not the name of the game here. The entire model is based on vertical progression (as the 4th pillar only allows for this).

For us to stagnate vertically is exceptionally bad for this game.

I think you're seeing this as a single-player game with other people to play with, like, say, Diablo III and the like. MMOs are designed to never end, to keep the end of the game just out of reach, so that no one ever has everything the game has to offer. You can choose to, say, not go past level 50 gear and only do content suited for the gear you have, and that choice is perfectly okay.

To be fair, I hate the gear grind and wish that the game wasn't set up like WoW, where the reward is that you could kick more *** in PvP if you had to. The good part about the SWTOR gear grind, though, is that if I find a set I like (currently the containment officer set) I can rip the mods out of an endgame set and stick them in something more visually appealing to me.

You can still collect. And I don't think your desire to collect should feel at all diminished by the rise in level cap. This is coming from a person who spends hours in Skyrim just collecting the hell out of, say, flowers. Why? Just 'cuz I like to have them. XD

I for one welcome our new Panda overlords......

Please wait a little before panicking, the announcement may actually surprise you and increase numbers online.

Which opens a way more important discussion than anything I wrote in the OP: Are Panda Deathknights or Panda Sith the ultimate goths? ;)

Really, this is only an immediate problem if they raise the level cap by 10, as the highest tier of gear is equivalent Level 61 gear. If they raise it to 55, only Tionese and Columi tiers are affected, and they'll probably just do to those theirs like they did to Centurion and Champoin gear sets: get rid of them and set the dailies to give level 56 mods instead of level 51 mods.

That being said, no information ahs been given as to how high they'll set the bar, and it seems to me like it's a Soon feature. So like other posters have said, don't worry about it, and it won't really affect current raiding at all.

Incorrect my friend. The 5 levels will more than likely wipe out all existing gear in terms of level. Otherwise there would be no point in raiding the new content for new tier gear if one of the old tiers of gear matches it.

Edited by Aricus

Yes there are MMOs that work differently. They are called sandbox MMOs. This is a theme park MMO (and quite frankly the purest theme park MMO there has ever been). Horizontal progression is not the name of the game here. The entire model is based on vertical progression (as the 4th pillar only allows for this).

For us to stagnate vertically is exceptionally bad for this game.

You are absolutely correct abotu what this game is. I don't agree that themeparks have to work horizontally, in fact I would argue (someplace else) that a themepark would work even better if it didn't but that's not what this game is. I don't think it is a good decision but it is clealrly what I signed up for here. So essentialy I might have just signed up for the wrong thing. Which would explain why the news of a raised level cap isn't good for my motivation. If that makes sense.

As you can see from my project of gearing up all my companions in a long term project I was setitng my own goals horizontally. In a game that does not support this. You could just blame me for this and not be entirely wrong.

That would be an absolutely valid point. If I farmed ops gear for companions. Which I don't.

Are you sure you are talking to me? Because it doesn't feel like it.

To make this perfectly clear: What I do right now is reverse engineer gear for compaions. I have all the profesions and I'm trying to make the ideal purple sets for each companion (to the best of my knowledge I probably don't get it entirely right). This is a lot of work and will take months to complete as you can do different specialzied purples for almost all of them.

Ill try and put this in simple terms, only the endgame gear farm through ops right now would have a detrimental effect upon you in such a way to effect you like this due to time constraints and lock out periods from said operations. Crafting has no such effect, infact increasing the level and level of gear actualy is a bonus to you if it is infact crafted your leaning towards, as its a well know key that when level cap goes up then so does crafting skill cap.

The changes that were previously made to crafting and reverse engineering also open up way more option for yourself in this case as more levels = more gear drops whilst leveling if the level cap is with makeb and coming in july meaning more models= more variety = more reverse engineering = more pattern drops = more learned recipies.

So if it is infact crafting and not operations you are conversing about with the lackluster feeling you get for the increased level cap then you are seriously batting for the wrong side.

Edited by Shingara

I think you're seeing this as a single-player game with other people to play with, like, say, Diablo III and the like. MMOs are designed to never end, to keep the end of the game just out of reach, so that no one ever has everything the game has to offer. You can choose to, say, not go past level 50 gear and only do content suited for the gear you have, and that choice is perfectly okay.

To be fair, I hate the gear grind and wish that the game wasn't set up like WoW, where the reward is that you could kick more *** in PvP if you had to. The good part about the SWTOR gear grind, though, is that if I find a set I like (currently the containment officer set) I can rip the mods out of an endgame set and stick them in something more visually appealing to me.

You can still collect. And I don't think your desire to collect should feel at all diminished by the rise in level cap. This is coming from a person who spends hours in Skyrim just collecting the hell out of, say, flowers. Why? Just 'cuz I like to have them. XD

This is simply very true. I still think it is way too early to pull that move. And if their subscirption numbers drop even more I will do a little dance I claim I called it. And feel very smart and entitled. :rolleyes:

That seems a short time solution. It will bring them back for that one rollercoaster ride but it will do nothing for long term activtiy. As in, how would this update motivate anyone at level 50 to do anything now?

In this case me, hence the thread title. I'm not claiming to know how this will affect absoutely every player out there ;)

A short solution is a solution. Even if I could see the population at the rhagoul plague event id be happy, that was excellent . D3 is the least of their worries for a dissapearing player base.

Edited by Talarchy

Ill try and put this in simple terms, only the endgame gear farm through ops right now would have a detrimental effect upon you in such a way to effect you like this due to time constraints and lock out periods from said operations. Crafting has no such effect, infact increasing the level and level of gear actualy is a bonus to you if it is infact crafted your leaning towards, as its a well know key that when level cap goes up then so does crafting skill cap.

The changes that were previously made to crafting and reverse engineering also open up way more option for yourself in this case as more levels = more gear drops whilst leveling if the level cap is with makeb and coming in july meaning more models= more variety = more reverse engineering = more pattern drops = more learned recipies.

So if it is infact crafting and not operations you are conversing about with the lackluster feeling you get for the increased level cap then you are seriously batting for the wrong side.

I think the whole problem here is that you seem to think I want better gear than what I can get already then in fact all I want is to work with the tools I have without knowing they will be outdated soon. I simply won't reverse engineer all those pruple options knowing I won't need them anymore soon. Because as you say, crafting will go up too and there will be new recipes to learn. Which is fine and might be fun by the time it hits. But in the meantime it leaves me with no motivation to do anything right now.

This is simply very true. I still think it is way too early to pull that move. And if their subscirption numbers drop even more I will do a little dance I claim I called it. And feel very smart and entitled. :rolleyes:

Eh, I don't think the level cap will change sub numbers either way. It'll be the other content that'll draw more people to the game. Cathar appeal to a certain... subset of Internets Culture. >_>

The additional story will bring people back who wanted additional class storylines, a new op will bring people back who want to group.

Add that to the F2P until level 15, and sub numbers will tick upward for a bit, and some people who play for free will subscribe, at least for a while, and that'll have nothing to do with the additional levels you can gain. I guess we'll see. I tend to see the glass half full.

I think the whole problem here is that you seem to think I want better gear than what I can get already then in fact all I want is to work with the tools I have without knowing they will be outdated soon. I simply won't reverse engineer all those pruple options knowing I won't need them anymore soon. Because as you say, crafting will go up too and there will be new recipes to learn. Which is fine and might be fun by the time it hits. But in the meantime it leaves me with no motivation to do anything right now.

In an mmo standpoint that is self defeating, if you dont want todo it simply because we will advance soon then you have no motivation todo anything ever again because we shall always be moving forwards and hardly ever standing still for long periods of time, even without a lvl cap increase we would still have a gear cap increase, as such this game allows for new gear to be RE'd thus unlocking new craftable better gear, this inturn can be RE'd to unlock the precense stat upon it for companions plus the relevant stats you require for said companion.

In an mmo standpoint that is self defeating, if you dont want todo it simply because we will advance soon then you have no motivation todo anything ever again because we shall always be moving forwards and hardly ever standing still for long periods of time, even without a lvl cap increase we would still have a gear cap increase, as such this game allows for new gear to be RE'd thus unlocking new craftable better gear, this inturn can be RE'd to unlock the precense stat upon it for companions plus the relevant stats you require for said companion.

All of this is true. Yet I would have though I get more than six month before they already increase the level cap to make the current stuff redundant. I somhow did not expect a raise in level cap for at least a year, possibly more, based on prior experience. The fact is already shows up simply remindsm e of the basic vertical design choice of this game. And that isn't one I care for a whole lot. I'll see the impact soon enough, the speed of PVP queues will pretty much tell me if my current gameplay is affected or not.

So lets pretend no level cap raise was announced and everyone stays at level 50 forever.

What happens when you have all your Reverse Engineered Schematics.. and you have geared yourself and your companions gear slots with Epic crafted items. Then what?

I can understand what you are saying and all, but it seems silly to say "I have no motivation to do anything right now" when in all honesty, continuing on as you are will only benefit you in the long run. I have no doubt that the new content slated for release Sometime this year will require at least LVL50 Crafted Purple gear to progress in.

P.S: I have a feeling the level cap raise will be one of the last things we see from what was announced.

I cant tell if your serious or not, let me see if i get this right, your saying that increasing the level cap will remove all resemblance of balance over night. is that what you just stated if so lol.

Also did you see anywhere that they stated with the level cap move of new endgame content, no ??? so we have to assume that with the move in level cap then also something is going to be dont to move the level entrance for ops and some flashpoints.

Yes i am serius.

let me clarify, swtor isnt a balanced game there are many issues and most are known and well understood, however steps are taken to improve the state of the game and till the level cap increase happens more will, i consider 75% of that work lost the remaining 25% is the experience gained from the developers.

I quit wow sometime in the middle of burning crusade simple because of this design philosophy, blizzard did and most likely bioware will too copy that philosophy, I am talking about scubing all old content every year and a half, countless hours of writing, designing and balancing content will be obselete overnight and wont serve for any purpose other than codex entries.

At this point i wont stick around to see if they will rework EV and KP to work for whatever the new level cap is gonna be and i doupt they will rework on anything else either, i ll just stay if the allieviate the population issue till the fellow pvers go to the 'content will be obselete in xx <time> so we dont need to do operations' mode.

I think you are really hopefull that they will do but i just assume they wont cause it would be a lot of work to keep a game tidy and proper that they could use to toss out the shiny and the new, i guess we will find out in about 3-4 months.

All of this is true. Yet I would have though I get more than six month before they already increase the level cap to make the current stuff redundant. I somhow did not expect a raise in level cap for at least a year, possibly more, based on prior experience. The fact is already shows up simply remindsm e of the basic vertical design choice of this game. And that isn't one I care for a whole lot. I'll see the impact soon enough, the speed of PVP queues will pretty much tell me if my current gameplay is affected or not.

I have played games that increased level cap and the game was better for it, i have seen games where a level cap increase was required and it never happend and it was hurt by it ( trying to stick everything in at top level) but the fact remains that if bioware sees the fact that they have to increase level cap then they obviously have a solid reason for it, be it balancing, adding to crafting, sorting out how normals, heroics and nightmares work.

The reason i think they have done it though and which makes absolute total sense to me and probably will to you when i say it, a better buffer for people doing other things then planet and class quests only. Group finder is coming, as such people will be bouncing between flashpoints and there planet quests, most of us said that we got to top level way to fast and this could be what there doing to aleviate that.

I wouldnt mind it taking me twice as long to hit top level aslong as i was always active and not farming, and having a real reason todo flashpoints, space dailys and pvp as i leveled. Your just looking it from a now top level perspective, but look at it from a you never touched this game perspective. The game is young enough for this to hit with this type of change.

Edited by Shingara

Strangely not. I'm quite busy with the endgame content. There's just not a whole lot of people doing it. And with the knowledge that everything you can get right now will be outdated with the new level cap I think this problem will only get wose. As I said in my case my motivation to keep working on my companions is suddenly gone.

Current end game gear have lv 61 mods in it. They'll still be viable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.