when are Bounty Hunters going to be able to.... Hunt Bounties?

Talarchy

and..how exactly would this work on non-pvp servers??

bounties against players don't exactly work in a non-mandatory pvp setting

Why would anyone play on a non PVP server ? :D

Hmm lets imagine that scenario....

RP Server:

Player A places bounty on Player B on the RP server. They spend an hour talking SW lore and decide to take 10 paces and duel it out with pistols. Going on the assumption the BH wins, he kneels over his bounty's body, apologises profusely or says a prayer. Cute.

PVE Server:

Essentially the same as the RP server scenario just with no interaction between the two parties, they just stare at eachother for an hour trying to figure out if its another player or an NPC.

PVP Server.

Kick A** Fun.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the system is designed by halfwits, then yes it could be a griefing aspect.. or you could look it as another exciting aspect to the everdull PVP scenario.

Generally I find when people consider BH or bounties to be griefing (or grieving, w/e) they most likely were locked in thier house at some point and being camped by a Bounty hunter, and in that case you should have grown a pair and gone outside and cleared the bounty.

In other words, if people don't play the game like I would they're doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

In other words, if people don't play the game like I would they're doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

Most people do it wrong I find unfortunately, i.e mainly the ones who whine alot about getting griefed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Talarchy

I guess we never will. We knew SWTOR was not going to be like SWG, they made it clear from day 1 it wasn't going to be. This doesn't mean that we can't attempt in whatever medium possible to have some form of say in what content goes into this game.

I can't quote figures, but I would be pretty sure the memberbase for SWTOR or at least the initial pre-order fanatical members would have been ex-SWG players. I would almost dare say at least half the player base used to play SWG the other half are WoW junkies, and let's be honest, WoW was a different type of game and it's clear who came from there, they usually whine the most.

Well, truth is that SWG at its peak was never half of SWTORs sub numbers, even at SWTORs current (lowest) point. Fact is that SWG, even with your fond memories, was never that popular of a game with the masses. Hence the reason why Bioware is not in a rush to copy any part of it. It is what it is...

And, yes, I played it and like some parts.

Personally I think this is what they ought to have done for dailies.

Smugglers get smuggling missions. Agents get spy missions. Troopers get assault missions.

As for the glowbat brigade: Sith can kick babies and Jedi can rescue kittens.

Very much this :D

This was a feature that made sense in other games like Starwars Galaxies and gave bounty hunters a sense of purpose.

Other games? You mean the only game. This is not SWG 2. This game does not have Bounty Hunters available to both factions. You can't change factions in this game. There are no guild houses & buff houses with transporters. Each side has a Fleet, where you can never go if your not part of that faction.

So you're surprised SWTOR isn't like SWG. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kourage

I was suprised to learn back at launch there was zero bounty system in SWTOR. This was a feature that made sense in other games like Starwars Galaxies and gave bounty hunters a sense of purpose.

Has anyone seen any notes or anything that would indicate that Bioware are thinking about adding bounties for... bounty hunters?

I know, call me crazy right...

Yeah. But if we would have a a Bounty system,we should have a Master-Apprentice system,a smuggling system,an assassination system and some kind of special feature for the troopers too.

Problem is,that BW isn't a company that changes it's games too much after launch(ME3 ending for example) They just like to give you more from the same limits. I hope that i am wrong,but we won't be seeing things like that any time soon.

and..how exactly would this work on non-pvp servers??

bounties against players don't exactly work in a non-mandatory pvp setting

I take it you never played SWG? In order to be a bounty, you have to pretty much sign up for it. After that, you never know when one will be coming for you.

There's a simple solution to this. Offer some sort of option for non-bounty hunters to get themselves voluntarily entered into the bounty system and give them some sort of insentive to do so. Have underground quest lines that offer items or credits but require them to do things which are against the law. Or just go up to a bounty terminal and opt in to the system allowing players to put bounties on you. The key is to make it optional.

There's a simple solution to this. Offer some sort of option for non-bounty hunters to get themselves voluntarily entered into the bounty system and give them some sort of insentive to do so. Have underground quest lines that offer items or credits but require them to do things which are against the law. Or just go up to a bounty terminal and opt in to the system allowing players to put bounties on you. The key is to make it optional.

The option you entered in swg was pvping.

You pvp, you gained a bounty therefore entered into the bounty system.

I was suprised to learn back at launch there was zero bounty system in SWTOR. This was a feature that made sense in other games like Starwars Galaxies and gave bounty hunters a sense of purpose.

Has anyone seen any notes or anything that would indicate that Bioware are thinking about adding bounties for... bounty hunters?

I know, call me crazy right...

Yea it was great in SWG except it was never just the bounty hunter, it was the TKA's and commando's that rolled with them.

We will never see player bounties because we have too many carebears who will whine about getting griefed on PvP servers. :rolleyes:

I find that people who say things like that are generally too chicken to take part in any sort of fair PvP where the target knows you're coming.

Unless are able to switch between merc and pt, I don't think it is appropriate to have player bounties. Imagine a merc who is squishy at the moment trying to take a bounty. Would be game ending for that merc.

I know plenty of mercs who can take out pretty much anyone. Besides, first strike is a pretty good advantage.

Yea it was great in SWG except it was never just the bounty hunter, it was the TKA's and commando's that rolled with them.

The only time I found that affected the bounty was if you were both on the Guild War prep-list, where its on but not on and you can turn on the guild war at the flick of a switch... and all of a sudden the 2 BH's friends were able to help him.

Other games? You mean the only game. This is not SWG 2. This game does not have Bounty Hunters available to both factions. You can't change factions in this game. There are no guild houses & buff houses with transporters. Each side has a Fleet, where you can never go if your not part of that faction.

So you're surprised SWTOR isn't like SWG. :rolleyes:

Good point. We would have bounty hunters whining because thier mark is on a planet they cant travel to or because their mark is on the faction fleet and cant get them. Or countless other whines just like th BHs of SWG.

I actually think it's a great idea.

Even not playing a bounty hunter, I think it would be pretty cool to have someone hunting my character. You could have a Bounty Board where lets say someone pays a certain amount of credits to add someone's name. At that point have the system cap how many people can accept the Bounty "challenge" (lets say ~5). At that point I would be flagged as killable by those ~5 players only. When I am killed by one of those ~5 players, I will be unflagged and that person can collect the bounty from the board. Only 1 Bounty Challenge could be targeted per player. For the target, if the BH engaged you and failed (ie died) the target could loot say 50% of the credits awarded for the bounty.

I think it could be a lot of fun and by limiting the number of players who could hunt you, and given only one Bounty could be placed on your head at a time it would really limit "griefing". Not that dieing in SWTOR really hold any penalty at all, so griefing wouldn't really be the right term anyway. It's not like old EQ days where you might have a 3-4 hour corpse run in your future.

Also keep in mind, this comes from the perspective of a guy who loves PvP and would have no problem with a completely open system where anyone could kill anyone at any time. It really keeps the yaps trapped on those internet tough guys ;)

Edited by Keenkey
thought of something else

In SWG it was tied to the PVP system. I see no reason why it could not be tied to the PVP system in this game too. At least that way players would have to have some clue that they could be hunted at any given time. One of the most exhilerating things during my time in Galaxies was playing a Bounty Hunter. It was always such a rush to see my mark sitting in a Cantina, or shopping at someones vendors, grouping with friends in the wild, only to be suddenly attacked by me. He he.

Good point. We would have bounty hunters whining because thier mark is on a planet they cant travel to or because their mark is on the faction fleet and cant get them. Or countless other whines just like th BHs of SWG.

Real BH's didn't whine in SWG. We would just wait for our mark to come out. Wayyyyyy back in the days before NGE, CU, etc., I remember having my marks run into their house and log out. Some times it was for days at a time. What do you do if this happens? Deal with it. Either wait it out or drop the mission and grab another.

Real BH's didn't whine in SWG. We would just wait for our mark to come out. Wayyyyyy back in the days before NGE, CU, etc., I remember having my marks run into their house and log out. Some times it was for days at a time. What do you do if this happens? Deal with it. Either wait it out or drop the mission and grab another.

I've had that happen only once to me, because it taught me to stalk my prey better. If they're close enough to a safehouse when you engage to run into it, you didn't do your homework. :p

There have been so many threads about this recently that I can only hope a dev has seen them. Endgame PvP is... exactly the same as 1-49 PvP, and whilst WZ's are fun, how long can we seriously be expected to run the same four WZ's ten times a day and NOT get bored? The game needs some dynamic, engaging open-world PvP. Player bounties would be a step completely in the right direction, and could be implemented without too much effort.

As an aside, PvP servers at least need this- MAKE EVERYTHING OPEN TO EVERYONE. Scrap fleet and make the capital world the 'community area', and make it accessible to the opposite faction. There'll be so many 50's sitting around waiting for WZ pops that the lowbies will be safe, it solves the problem of your mark hiding (although that's a peripheral bonus), and would result in epic battles. Just make sure the lowbie questing areas are tucked away safely inside a horde of 50 NPC guards, and only a truly determined, well-geared ops group would be able to break through and commence murdering.

Edited by JidaiGeki

Cant travel to the Rep Fleet, Coruscant or Ord Mantell. So those places would be safe zones for the bounty

Plus...

Aside from a few planets, the areas are seperated by these uber forces that you would have to contend with and would be nearly impossible to do this alone. I believe some of those areas can flip your PvP flag on as well.

SWG was much more open and designed in a way that encouraged the kind of player interactivity needed for this kind of system to function. I cant see this working here, it just does not work with the structure of this game.

Edited by kirorx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.