The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can Bioware Rescue This Game?

Karabal

I'm obviously talking about gameplay. Other than setting, the two have vastly different ideals and structure that comparing them is pointless. GW1 is basically a cooperative RPG. It is basically an online rpg that you can choose to play with your friends. The entire game was instanced except for towns where you can meet friends and form parties with. As such, it wasn't in competition with any mmo. You could buy it and play it whenever you wanted to, as a single player campaign or as a cooperative one.

GW2 is a completely different beast. It's a full on MMO with everything you'd expect from one. As such, it will go into competition with other mmo's. Will it necessarily kill off any other game? I donno. I can easily see as many people leaving WoW for it as there would be choosing to play it in addition to WoW.

TL:DR, The two are completely different, and comparing them would be like comparing SWTOR with Jedi Academy.

i agree but then i think comparing even wow and swtor is silly since the genres are completely different is silly.. some people hate space themed games others hate elves and stuff..

i still havent been told a good reason why any of the games cant existat the same time:P

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand they are different games mechanics wise.. but i doubt gw 2 will be as awesome as people say it could be.. the problem is over hyping.. from the reviews ive seen gw2 isnt all that good sadly.

Guild Wars 2 is a good game and I've beta tested it, but it isn't as good as the hype. Then again I played a charr warrior (which is fun) so I wouldn't spoil the human thief and asura (not yet available even in next beta =( ) necromancer storylines and gameplay before release.

To be fair GW2 was fully CPU dependent and DirectX9 only, but despite that loading screens were still much faster than SWTOR.

Edited by Agemnon

Games are like wine you see, It doesn't matter how much it costs you, your favorite wine is the one you like best.

I like ToR, some don't. Some like GW2, I don't. So it is all about what YOU like. SO please lets stop bickering over which game is best and QQ. Play the one you like and stop posting "Fail" posts.

i agree but then i think comparing even wow and swtor is silly since the genres are completely different is silly.. some people hate space themed games others hate elves and stuff..

i still havent been told a good reason why any of the games cant existat the same time:P

Well you see sir, some people have become so overly obsessed with WoW that when another game comes out to challange it they have to try and do everything they can to make sure people don't like it. I played WoW, I did like it but after Activision took over the quality of the game, for me, dropped drastically. It became more of an console MMO game than a computer MMORPG game.

GW2 is a completely different beast. It's a full on MMO with everything you'd expect from one.

LOL, if you say so. Good luck with that. "People" expect quite a bit nowadays. GW2 has big shoes to fill.

When it comes to TOR I think it can be "saved" or whatever word you'd want to use. I think there's a good chance to add to the playerbase. Transfers will be a good first move, where we actually get communities again. I really hope they will follow that up with official server forums. I also hope they'll be a bit more open about future features than they have been in the past and that not all future content is focused on Operations, Flashpoints and Warzones. Be creative! We know you want to!

LOL, if you say so. Good luck with that. "People" expect quite a bit nowadays. GW2 has big shoes to fill.

Why be so sarcastic when plenty of people have played it at this stage and we can tell you, from firsthand experience in beta weekends, that GW2 is a TON better than TOR?

Edited by blur

Why be so sarcastic when plenty of people have played it at this stage and we can tell you, from firsthand experience in beta weekends, that GW2 is a TON better than TOR?

your opinion..ive seen others say gw 2 is worse...and your opinion is fine... its yours you are entitled to it..but not everyone agrees

I personally was looking forward to GW2 but then a realization came to me that in order for them to profit with a B2P game that they will need a cash store. Game breaker for me

Well you see sir, some people have become so overly obsessed with WoW that when another game comes out to challange it they have to try and do everything they can to make sure people don't like it. I played WoW, I did like it but after Activision took over the quality of the game, for me, dropped drastically. It became more of an console MMO game than a computer MMORPG game.

i tried the free wow 14 day thing.. and it wouldnt let me group with anyone... my wife and i play together , and if we cant why would i try a game that i intend on grouping in that i can group in to try? didnt make sense

your opinion..ive seen others say gw 2 is worse...and your opinion is fine... its yours you are entitled to it..but not everyone agrees

Of course. There are WoW kids out there who can't get their heads around the fact GW2 isn't a gear grind. They're bound to say it's horrible. But for any THINKING gamer, who is interested in the MMO genre going forward, GW2 is a revelation. Have you ever watched their manifesto? Google it and watch it on YouTube. Indulge me in a few minutes of listening to their developers and compare it to any vision from any TOR developer. It's chalk and cheese.

I personally was looking forward to GW2 but then a realization came to me that in order for them to profit with a B2P game that they will need a cash store. Game breaker for me

The in-game cash shop won't provide unfair advantages to other players. Also you can buy things in the cash shop with in-game currency.

Seems you haven't delved too far into how it all works.

You can play GW2 from Level 1 to 80 and not need to buy a single thing.

Did you ever play GW? The thing they sold most in the store were costumes and things like that! So given your, "not yet" comment, I think it's worthwhile that it still hasn't happened in GW SEVEN YEARS after release... :rolleyes:

Edited by blur

Of course. There are WoW kids out there who can't get their heads around the fact GW2 isn't a gear grind. They're bound to say it's horrible. But for any THINKING gamer, who is interested in the MMO genre going forward, GW2 is a revelation. Have you ever watched their manifesto? Google it and watch it on YouTube. Indulge me in a few minutes of listening to their developers and compare it to any vision from any TOR developer. It's chalk and cheese.

the only other question i have is..if you like gw2 so much why arent you on their forums saying how awesome that game is instead of constantly badmouthing a game youve already said you unsubbed from?

i think its pretty clear most people dont want to hear how better a game is they arent intrested in... personally the ONLY draw gw2 has for me is that it is sub free.. and thats not enough to make me buy the game.. other than that.. the games not much different from any other..and not different enough from gw 1 which got boring fast , to make me want it..

Not yet

"ArenaNet's approach is this: Microtransactions are run on a currency of gems, which are purchased with physical-world money and traded in various quantities for the goods and account services available. Players also have the option of trading their purchased gems for in-game gold -- and purchase gems with in-game gold."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/20/arenanet-expands-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2/

the only other question i have is..if you like gw2 so much why arent you on their forums saying how awesome that game is instead of constantly badmouthing a game youve already said you unsubbed from?

i think its pretty clear most people dont want to hear how better a game is they arent intrested in... personally the ONLY draw gw2 has for me is that it is sub free.. and thats not enough to make me buy the game.. other than that.. the games not much different from any other..and not different enough from gw 1 which got boring fast , to make me want it..

But... we just went over how they are two completely different games. :p

Really, I think you should check it out before you make a decision on it. It really sounds like you have no idea about it.

Mate... you tried picking a fight over it. Seems when I start pulling out the facts, you want me to leave.

Well, sorry, but the game was mentioned and questions were raised. I'm giving you the facts now.

But... we just went over how they are two completely different games. :p

Really, I think you should check it out before you make a decision on it. It really sounds like you have no idea about it.

I really have no intrest in another hack and slash game like that.. dont get me wrong.. im glad its a game people enjoy.. ive always maintained there are places for everyone in the mmo world.. elves and stuff..not my thing. but glad others like it.

I really have no intrest in another hack and slash game like that.. dont get me wrong.. im glad its a game people enjoy.. ive always maintained there are places for everyone in the mmo world.. elves and stuff..not my thing. but glad others like it.

That's hack and slash... like Jedi and Sith aren't hack and slash... um, yeah... :rolleyes:

No Elves in GW2 either, buddy.

Mate... you tried picking a fight over it. Seems when I start pulling out the facts, you want me to leave.

Well, sorry, but the game was mentioned and questions were raised. I'm giving you the facts now.

i didnt pick a fight. i just dont see the point in touting a game so much as you do...and not be on their forums..people really dont want to read about gw2 on tors forums..id imagine you would get the same reaction on gw2s forums about tor.

its common sense.

though that being said.. i hope gw2 is the game you enjoy.. and i hope that it doesnt suffer from the same issues tor does.

It isn't hack and slash! Do some research before you criticize a game. Agreed on the fantasy, some people don't like it and that's fine with me; personally I like fantasy and sci-fi.

Edited by USMCjv

That's hack and slash... like Jedi and Sith aren't hack and slash... um, yeah... :rolleyes:

No Elves in GW2 either, buddy.

again..picking fights.. you know damn well they are completely seperate genres of game.ones space one is trolls and crap.. they appeal to differnet people. elves or not is irrelivant. and you cant seem to see that.. jedi are the hack and slash aspect of this game ya..but they arent the same as a midevial world

i didnt pick a fight. i just dont see the point in touting a game so much as you do...and not be on their forums..people really dont want to read about gw2 on tors forums..id imagine you would get the same reaction on gw2s forums about tor.

Actually TOR gets mentioned quite a bit on GW2 forums around the Internet.

Usually someone mentions it... and then everyone else laughs for a bit.

It isn't hack and slash! Do some research before you criticize a game. Agreed on the fantasy, some people don't like it and that's fine with me; personally I like fantasy and sci-fi.

ive done research and its more hack and slash than i want. fantasy midevial isnt what i enjoy atm.. gw2 im sure will have a great following... but i wont be one who does...nor will i go on their forums to say how much i hate the game:P

again..picking fights.. you know damn well they are completely seperate genres of game.ones space one is trolls and crap.. they appeal to differnet people. elves or not is irrelivant. and you cant seem to see that.. jedi are the hack and slash aspect of this game ya..but they arent the same as a midevial world

Well, actually, if you want to really get stuck into it, Jedi Knights, for one example, are based in feudal Japan and medieval European influences which are both GW influences too, so... you know... don't take things on face value and presume things. Star Wars actually owes a great debt to the tropes you see in a game like GW2.

Oh, and no trolls in GW2 either. Well, not that I've encountered in beta testing yet.

Edited by blur