The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Do your characters have personalities?

Shayrae

I'm not a role player... really, I'm not... but the other day I was playing my Trooper and I was chuckling over a choice I'd made. I made the comment out loud that she's like GI Jane and my husband surprised me by saying ..

"You play your characters like they have personalities..like they are people. You make choices based on that..me, I just pick what I want."

That got me wondering how many other players decide on personalities for their characters and if you do.... do you consider yourself a role player?

Any sort of immersion in the SW universe in this game requires you to think as your character would, because there are 1,000,000 other characters with your same storyline and 'unique' companions.

So, RP is the only real way to differentiate yourself in this themepark MMO with single-player story elements.

I do. And I'm not a roleplayer. I play with 2 others friends, they choose the answer because it sound cool, or for a fun joke when we are together on a conversation. Sometimes they choose for personal RP, but it's pretty rare.

I choose a line over another because it's what my character would do. Not me. They use to taunt me because when I do quests with them, and they win the roll in a way I don't want to, I reset the quest to make the choice I want. Sometimes they pick the choice I don't want, just to annoy me.

I can't play a RPG without giving personality to my character. Then the game help to shape that story. Sometimes the game shape the character in a direction I didn't planned at all. If it's a good RPG, it's a good thing, but sometimes it's just because you don't have enough choices.

Also, I play personalities I don't have IRL. Or gender. Or both.

As stated above, it really is the only way to connect to a "Themepark" character.

ToR has nothing on SWG... you could really be you. Or should I rather say, you could really make an entirely new person.

Here, you have to come up with a new personality and accept the rails you're stuck on.

This is a storyline driven game. Picking the answer you think sounds coolest makes for an inconsistent protagonist.

Also, this is a game that encourages playing multiple characters with different, yet overlapping plots. So making your choices off of what you would choose means all major characters of this world have the same motivation and personality and therefore removes depth from the world.

Developing a character and making choices based off of that character's personality and motivation is the only way to enjoy any plot beyond the first.

As an alt-aholic, I never even start a new character without having a personality type/look/vibe in mind first. It makes the game so much more fun. I also play City of Heores, where I've created 50 alts over the last 7+ years. At this point, some of them are like old friends.

Years ago, when The Sims first came out, I bought it and created a character who looked and dressed just like me. I gave him my name and sent him off to work every day. I was bored out of my mind! I only got into that game when i realized that the fun of having avatars in games is the chance to play with "someone else".

I'm not a role player, but my character has a personality. I figure random decisions are not fun, so when I create a toon I assign a personality to it and stick to it, so all the choices I make in-game are coherent with what he/she would say.

Other kids at school give me a hard time for playing on a RP server.

Well...

WHO CARES!

I love RP, and I can dance in a cantina if I want to, but I usualy don't dance, if anything i'm starting a fight in one!

I only have one character and I fully emerse myself in the universe, heck, I have a SWTOR wallpaper for my laptop!

So yes, I do give my character a personallity.

Kind of as an extension of this...

How limiting do you find the choices given?

Most of the time there is something I can live with, but occasionally I feel that I just would not do any of the things. This is most often triggered when I have to kill people I might spare or some such other act...

I am a roleplayer, so my character of course has a personality. However, it only has a vague influence on my choices in quests. I make sure that the DS/LS points, professions, etc correspond more or less to the personality, but on the details I'm not very preoccupied.

First reason is that sometimes my character would take option four.

Second is that sometimes my character would never be in the plot in the first place. In fact, because everyone with the same class goes through the same plot, by necessity my character cannot actually incorporate that plot.

Third reason, is that I don't really consider it to be roleplay. To me, roleplay requires other players with whom to interact. I could consider the interactive storyline system to be the other roleplayer I suppose, but at best, this is a simple 'trinary' tree, and at worst a linear story. No matter what my option is, the end result is rarely very different. It has none of the variability and dynamism of roleplaying with other people. It's fun, yes, but not half as fun as roleplay with other human beings.

What I will do sometimes is consider that while questing, I'm actually playing a different character, for whom all the choices make sense. Like my character on WoW was pleasant, righteous, scholarly, bearded, eccentric-blue-robes-wearing Lord Withamhall most of the time, but was misogynist, troll-hater, bearded, multi-coloured-armour-wearing Sir Michael Tarbane while questing.

Edited by RMWh
typo

• 2 weeks later...
Some of my characters do and some do not. My scoundrel and my inquisitor I play like me, more or less. My agent has decidedly got her own personality and it was a very interesting experience watching it develop and change as I played through her story. I found myself surprised more than once by the decisions that she wanted to make. My merc also has her own personality, but it is much less pronounced than my agent's.