The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

SW Spoiler

He did not want to betray you but everyone else failed to kill you so it was his turn.

He gives his reasons with two somewhat contradictory explanations during the incident:

1. The Emperor is an absentee leader, with Baras as the Voice the Empire will flourish

2. Even lamer: Baras saved my career so he picked Baras over you

That's actually the reason I don't like the Quinncident. My problem with his story is it made no sense. His logic was flawed and he was not supposed to be an illogical person.

I am a loyal Imperial but I will commit treason if I think it's better for the Empire... and that guy saved my career... oh but you'll let me live that guy who I would commit treason for would never do that... I love you now.

I kind of wish he had stayed evil or really had been coerced or Baras had threatened to drown a sack of kittens if he didn't comply and Quinn just really really likes kittens. Something, but nope.

I guess my brain can't handle things that don't make sense, I often wonder if the writing there was just bad because they had to rip out a lot of the options (besides the option to kill him though that would have gone a long way to makign Quinn tolerable). I wonder if the orginal intent for the story was that more than one of your companions would betray you depending on how you made your choices. That would have been neat.

I wonder what his story would have been like had BW not given into stupid pressure from stupid people. I mean, the whole point of making decisions in the game is that your choices affect you and your story directly. Then, when this thing went public from beta, they just pooped all over their own story to try to make everyone happy. They're still pooping on everything in a bid to make everyone happy and it just doesn't work.

And I really don't buy the reasons he says during the cutscene. Like you said, they don't make sense. I really think they just cobbled some crap together from the flaming wreckage of what could have been an awesome ending and came up with... that business.

Iunno. Quinn is an interesting character and BW had the chance to make something truly meaningful and permanent and instead... well... you know...

I haven't finished; I'm on Voss. I didn't have her at my side for most of the game, since I just love Jorgan that much, but I recently started taking her out because her DoT meshes so well with my talent tree. So...we'll see.

Trooper spoiler end chapter 2 gauntlet

I was thinking about the Gauntlet where you choose who goes to fight on the bridge you can pick two of 3 M1, Dorne, Jorgan. If you pick Dorne and Jorgan I think she risks her life to save Jorgan and gets injured for a long time. If you pick Jorgan and M1 then Jorgan gets injured. So I thought Dorne taking a hit to save Jorgan would melt just about anyone.

I wonder what his story would have been like had BW not given into stupid pressure from stupid people. I mean, the whole point of making decisions in the game is that your choices affect you and your story directly. Then, when this thing went public from beta, they just pooped all over their own story to try to make everyone happy. They're still pooping on everything in a bid to make everyone happy and it just doesn't work.

And I really don't buy the reasons he says during the cutscene. Like you said, they don't make sense. I really think they just cobbled some crap together from the flaming wreckage of what could have been an awesome ending and came up with... that business.

Iunno. Quinn is an interesting character and BW had the chance to make something truly meaningful and permanent and instead... well... you know...

SW Spoilers again

Yes exactly, in order to have any sort of grasp on his character you have to ignore what he actually says in game.

hence all the fanfic. we're just mentally trying to repair the crap they were forced to throw together due to time constraints and the need to reduce the number of CM Tickets.

Trooper spoiler end chapter 2 gauntlet

I was thinking about the Gauntlet where you choose who goes to fight on the bridge you can pick two of 3 M1, Dorne, Jorgan. If you pick Dorne and Jorgan I think she risks her life to save Jorgan and gets injured for a long time. If you pick Jorgan and M1 then Jorgan gets injured. So I thought Dorne taking a hit to save Jorgan would melt just about anyone.

Trooper spoilers:

Oh. Oh, right. I took Jorgan with me, had Dorne and M1-4X on the bridge. Upon reviewing the cutscene, Forex does point out that she insisted on staying with him as they retreated, rather than leaving him to get out herself. I freaked the hell out when I saw her laid out in medbay. So it isn't like she actively jumped in front to take a bullet for Forex, but she did risk herself and get ripped up for it.

And yes, if nothing else, seeing her in pain at that point is likely to hit him. Whether he really expected it to or not.

Muse, you are not leaving me alone tonight, are you?

Title: Change in Command

Characters: SI (Mel'ake, and not as a prop this time) and companions.

Spoilers: SI endgame

"Our master is getting worse."

Ashara jumped as she heard Xalek from the door. Even though he gave her shivers down her spine, she couldn't debate his words. Ever since the failed expedition to Quesh, Mel'ake was unusually withdrawn. After Talos told her a few hours ago that the ghosts were back, Ashara spent the time holed up in her chambers, trying to maintain her composure.

"The artifact we found did something to his mind." She replied automatically. "We'll be back on Dromund Kaas soon, where we can go over our findings."

"I don't think our master will let us wait that long." Xalek said simply. Suddenly, Andronikos' voice bellowed through the halls.

"Get him out of the cockpit!" Ashara sat up abruptly. Andronikos sounded frantic, his voice shaking.

"What's Mel doing?" She demanded of her fellow apprentice. Her command was followed by the unmistakable crackle of force lightning.

"I should probably show you rather than tell you." Xalek responded before disappearing down the hallway. Ashara stood up and ran after him, though she didn't draw her lightsabers. She wasn't about to strike the man she loved.

"I thought you said the needle would knock him out." Khem Val cried in his strange tongue. As Ashara arrived on the scene, she saw the Dashade standing between Mel'ake and Andronikos. The former pirate had his hands full keeping the Fury on course with arcs of lightning singeing his captain's chair. Talos was huddled in the corner, capping the needle of an empty syringe.

"I said that after a few minutes, the tranquilizer would cause him to slow down to the point where I could inject him in a vein with a sedative and knock him out." The archaeologist raised his arms protectively over his face as some lightning shot a bit too close for comfort. "You can't expect me to direct the drug into a vein while he's thrashing around. We're lucky I could grab his arm to give him the tranquilizer in his muscle."

"That is not what you said!" Khem Val protested as he made a grab for Mel'ake, who was, in fact, thrashing wildly.

"I didn't have time for the full explanation, can you blame me?" Talos said as he filled a new syringe with a clear fluid from a small bottle. "Ashara, Xalek, if you could help Khem Val hold off our Darth until I can get a clear shot to sedate him, I would be in your debt."

Ashara nodded and leaped to Mel'ake's side. The possessed Twi'lek had his attention on Khem Val for the moment. She made a wild grab for his arm and secured it in a hold. Mel'ake turned his head and affixed her with his stare. No, that wasn't Mel'ake. The gaze and facial mannerisms were similar, but they didn't belong to her lover.

"My child." Ashara shuddered at the voice that came from Mel'ake's mouth. It was the voice, the gaze, the mannerisms of her ancestor buried in the tombs of Taris. She froze at the memory of her ancestor's paranormal grasp at her sanity when she tried to subdue him. Mel'ake had come to her rescue then. It was her turn to help him now. With gritted teeth, she tightened her hold on his arm.

"I'm sorry Master." Xalek said before swinging his un-ignited lightsaber like a baton at Mel'ake's head. The blow sent the Darth reeling back, stunned. Mel'ake blinked, and in a moment his mannerisms were his own.

"Talos, the sedative, now.." Mel'ake said weakly as he held out his free arm. Talos didn't waste time to respond as he rushed to Mel'ake's side and pulled the sleeve of his robe back. In a few swift movements, he slipped the needle under Mel'ake's skin and injected the solution. Ashara tried to hold Mel'ake steady as his weight shifted.

"Start thinking of the dream you want now, my Lord." Talos recommended. "And I'm sorry. I'm sorry for Quesh, and I'm sorry I didn't tell the others."

"Don't be sorry. Any of you. You're all the best crew. You did nothing wrong, Talos." Mel'ake struggled through his words.

"Mel.." Ashara managed. He turned and faced her, looking at her with his big blue eyes that were his and his alone for now.

"I love you Ashara." That sweet smile was still on his face as his eyes lost their focused and closed. Ashara barely had time to adjust the way she held Mel'ake before he was no longer supporting his own weight. As she frantically tried to keep him from falling to the floor, Khem Val stepped in and scooped up the unconscious scrawny Twi'lek.

"Master.." Khem Val said with a twinge of what Ashara thought was sadness. Xalek lowered his head.

"Um," Andronikos interrupted. "I hate to butt in on everyone's mushy feelings, but are we still going to Dromund Kaas?"

The five members of the crew looked at each other awkwardly for a moment. The chain of command had changed, and no one knew quite how.

"Well, some one needs to speak up, and it better not be that annoying droid." Andronikos said from his seat in the captain's chair. Unsurprisingly, some one did speak up. Somewhat surprisingly, it was Talos.

"If no one else is going to. I mean, we should continue our course. We should also consider the allies we have. Some one should contact Lucerna. As for myself, as the only one who has admitted to any sort of medical training, I suggest I check on Mel'ake's vital signs and determine what continued care he will need until we find a cure for his situation."

Ashara gave Talos a reassuring smile. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you've dealt with friends driven insane by ancient ghosts and artifacts before."

Talos fixed her with a similar smile. "Dear lady, you've forgotten I used to explore Sith tombs for a living. I've seen how the relics can change people, and with Mel'ake incapacitated there will definitely be some changes around here."

Notes:

This story takes place after the ghosts reappeared in Mel'ake's head post-game, but before my previous story when Lucerna arrives.

Okay, so I'm slow.

Ack...thread...moving...too...fast... :D

SW spoilers:

I can't connect SW romances to real life morals. I cannot do it. It's too nauseating.

From all I hear, DS Jaesa likes to be trampled as well, and we're not talking healthy BDSM safeword stuff. You know how all male Force users can take advantage of their padawans/apprentices? She really, really likes that worshipful sub position.

This is roleplaying the Empire and, worse, the Sith, and it just hits so many yucky notes I have to keep it in a little mental compartment well away from my usual ethical sensibilities.

This is so very true. Even when you pick some of those awful convo options because that's what your character would do. (BH Spoiler, ch 1)

The Twi'lek on Hutta (can't remember her name) turns out to be in on the sale of the Great Hunt list. She's also the one who alerted the Mandalorians to the sale. When you find this out, you have the option of taking part (maybe all) of the credits she got from the sale. Rixik did, because he's a slime. Later he got a letter from her about how awful her life was now. As a player, I felt terrible. Really terrible. Like I wish I could reset the quest and not take that option because it upset me that much. Problem? Not really. Rixik would have binned the letter right away and not cared. I usually enjoy playing that character, especially after having a rotten day, but I had to sit him for a couple weeks. I still don't know why that particular quest out of all of them bothered me. It's certainly not the worst convo option in the game.

Yes and no.

Amazing character, but the Incident is not good writing. The absence of meaningful action options at the end almost unravels the whole thing. The emotions evoked by the SW's total helplessness are not the marks of good writing; they are the marks of a nearly-brilliant thing getting trampled for expediency's sake.

The emotions evoked by everything else about him, including the forces that brought him to that scene, are spot on. That was good. But the arbitrary action limitation, followed by a lack of resolution, mean that I can't call his arc well-written overall.

This is the real core of the problem.

The betrayal makes sense from a story point of view. You know he was loyal to Baras, he begged to be on the crew, you're breathing down Baras' neck at that point in your story. If nothing happened with him, we'd all be speculating why Baras didn't make use of his best tool.

It's the resolution (or lack thereof) at the end of the arc that causes all the trouble. Especially for Female Warriors.

Edited by Striges

Changes. Ayang and Meyali (and Zash).

My mother lived in an apartment in a Jedi compound, some distance from the Temple on Tython. I'd only been there a few times, but she kept it sparse and clean, with plenty of light shining through the windows. So it was a shock to see it dark and dirty, her belongings strewn about haphazardly.

"Mom." I peered into the darkness, but she didn't answer.

She was sitting across the room, on the floor, meditating. Her hair flowed, loose, over her back, and her eyes were closed. She looked deep in concentration. Part of me felt sorry for her. Snatches of the message I had recieved came back to me:

Regret to inform you...mind has been compromised...Council has recommended removal from the Jedi Order indefinitely...relocating to retirement complex on Alderaan.

I had wanted this, hadn't I? It's what I'd always thought she deserved: to be kicked out of her Order. But not like this. Even I could agree this wasn't really her fault.

"I didn't know if you would come," my mother said, her voice startling me a little. It seemed sadder, almost pitiful.

"I heard about what happened," I said, kicking at a cracked datapad on the floor. "Don't really understand it, but..." My voice trailed off; I couldn't think of anything to say to her. What did you tell someone who suddenly had to share their body with an enemy? Sorry, get well soon!

"Where is your child?"

"At home. She's a couple weeks old, I don't want to bring her out yet." It was an improvement, at least, that my mother acted interested in her granddaughter. "She does have a name, you know. Areca."

"That is not a Mirialan name," my mother said, sounding annoyed.

"Well, suck it up," I said. I took a few steps closer to her, picking up some of the trash on her floor and tossing it aside. "Mom, you have to get ready to move. They want you out of here."

She didn't respond. It was like she was trying to grow roots, so that her Order would be forced to let her stay. I went over to her and knelt in front of her, trying to look her in the eyes. "Mom. Please. This is important. You have to go."

She finally opened them and looked at me, and there was something new in her expression. She reached out a hand and touched my face, more gently and tenderly than she ever had before. When she spoke, it wasn't her voice.

"You're not what I expected," she said. "What a lovely girl you are. Such a shame..." Her voice trailed off, and she shook her head a little. I stayed completely frozen, terrified. This must be the Sith woman that was sharing my mother's body - and didn't Sith usually kill people?

"Such a shame Meyali hates you," she finished, and in one smooth motion she stood up. I stayed there on the floor, absorbing what she had said. Sure, Sith were liars, but...to actually hear someone say, "Your mother hates you" was something else entirely.

She looked back at me and gave me a smile. "Your mother will come around. I've been trying to convince her. We will go away, and together we will look for more knowledge. Once she accepts me, we'll be a fantastic, amazing team. She really is a wonderfully brilliant woman."

There was something utterly terrifying about this...the idea that someone like my mother, whose mind had always been ruled by her ego, was going to be part of a "team" with some power-hungry Sith spirit...it was like a recipe for an explosive disaster. I should say something, tell someone.

But I could remember too clearly the way it had felt when she touched my face. All my life I had craved a mother's love, and I'd finally had my first taste of it, even if it was a lie. And I didn't want to lose it.

With a flourish, she opened up the curtains. Light flooded the room.

notes:

Zash/Meyali OTP, oops I think I'm starting to ship it.

Edited by elliotcat

Amazing character, but the Incident is not good writing. The absence of meaningful action options at the end almost unravels the whole thing. The emotions evoked by the SW's total helplessness are not the marks of good writing; they are the marks of a nearly-brilliant thing getting trampled for expediency's sake.

The emotions evoked by everything else about him, including the forces that brought him to that scene, are spot on. That was good. But the arbitrary action limitation, followed by a lack of resolution, mean that I can't call his arc well-written overall.

^ This!

Having a discussion in the SW threads just doesn't seem possible because so many people fail to read and come back with "but he's am imperial of course he'd betray you lol" instead of understanding that my problem isn't with the betrayal, but with the lack of any meaningful option to punish that betrayal. Hell, they don't even give us a real "yes, I'm going to tell everyone, and then they're going to hate you" option...the closest thing is "maybe, someday".

All you get is 9 (3x3) different variations on "I forgive you and we're not going to tell anybody". ARGH!

I actually had to sit my SW for a few weeks after I found out about this whole story twist, just because I couldn't bear to get there and be helpless to act. And once I reached that point, I had to sit her for a few days again.

"Bad writing" is spot-on, but for me it doesn't begin to describe the evisceration of an EXCELLENT arc in an EXCELLENT story that is so ruined by removing one little option. Expediency indeed.

Changes

Remi, Scourge

JK Spoilers and Voss spoilers

and if for whatever reason you were planning to read it, Remi the Grey spoilers.

Long 2,400 words or so

Koa walked beside his father through the mountains of Voss. His mother, Remi, was supposed to be working nearby but he had not seen her yet. He watched Lord Scourge out of the corner of his eye. For the sake of appearances, his father was stern and aloof when he visited Korriban Academy, but in private, he was generous with both affection and approval. Their closeness meant he could speak about any subject and ask any question. He had been quiet for the last few kilometers while he worked up the courage to broach a very tricky topic. Lord Scourge seemed to sense his difficulties and waited for his son to find the right words.

“Why are you still with mother?” Koa blurted unable to think of another way ask.

Lord Scourge only raised an eyebrow, “What’s wrong with your mother?”

Koa frowned, “She’s a Jedi for one thing.”

“She has not called herself a Jedi in years.”

“She calls herself a Sith but she still acts like a Jedi, she still has Jedi friends.” He thought of his Aunt Kira and scowled.

“Fine, she’s a Jedi,” his father acknowledged, “but she has always been that way, why would I leave her now?”

“She’s,” Koa made a face, “old.” His father barked a laughed. “I know technically you’re way older,” he said quickly, “but she’s starting to look old. You know all my female classmates ask about you when you come to visit. You could get a real Sith wife.”

Lord Scourge still regarded his son with humor. “Son, if you ever find a young woman as beautiful, smart, and powerful as your mother, I suggest that you keep her for yourself.”

Koa gave up trying to sell him on finding a new wife and gave him the real reason. “I just don’t want the two of you to be miserable when I’m away after I graduate.” He would not see his parents for years after leaving the Academy. It was important for him to establish himself as an individual, a power in his own right, and not just the son of Lord Scourge.

Now his father stopped, “What makes you think your mother would be miserable?”

“Because you two fight all the time?” Koa answered, “I’ve seen you, you’ll say something to her that gets under her skin, she’ll snap at you then disappear for a while. She pretends she’s happy but I can sense her anger when you do that, I know you can too. I figured you’d both be happier apart. Maybe she can go back to the Jedi and deny her emotions or something.” He loved his mother, even though he thought she was crazy old mynock. She worked as a diplomat, choosing to talk endlessly with the Dark Council on his father’s behalf rather than doing anything active or useful. He would miss her if she went back to the Jedi but at least she would be happy there, if Jedi could be happy. He was never sure about that.

“Oh.” Scourge said thoughtfully, then he hesitated.

“What? What is it?” Koa crossed his arms, unwilling to move.

“Your mother can control her anger, we would not be able to sense it if she did not want us to.”

“You see? She wants us to know she’s angry.”

“No, son, she wants me to know I make her angry.” Scourge smiled almost sheepishly, “She knows I like it.”

Koa blinked, he thought back to the times his parents argued. His mother would flush then walk away or hiss that they should discuss things in private. His father would follow, sometimes smiling sadistically. He looked at the arguments in a new light. “You mean every time you argue you guys…” He trailed off unable to think of his parents, his mother, that way.

“Yes.” His father replied without elaboration.

“But, you argue all the time.” His father’s smile turned wolfish. “Ew.” He said rolling his eyes. He continued walking up the trail. His father chuckled darkly and followed.

“I apologize for allowing you to think we were not happy together.” Scourge said from behind him, “I hope it did not cause you difficulties.”

“No,” Koa shuddered trying to erase the imagery, “I just don’t get it. You could have anyone, why her?”

“I thought you knew your mother’s story.”

“She told me the short version, and there’s a new class about it at the academy.” He shrugged, “They match up pretty well, she was the one in the final battle but it took an entire Republic fleet to get her there. The class at the academy even questions that she was in the final fight. They claim it was just T7 but I doubt that part.” He thought about the little droid that told him stories as a child fighting the ultimate power in the galaxy. It made him laugh.

“And that matches your mother’s version?”

“Hers is worse, she said she was captured the first time the Jedi attacked and wouldn’t have escaped if you didn’t help.” He shook his head. “She told me the vision was yours and that you’ve saved her life more times than she can count, she always says you were the real hero.

Scourge sighed, “I know we are Sith, but did it occur to you that your mother was being modest?”

Koa scoffed, “Are you trying to tell me that my mother, the diplomat and former Jedi, who barely comes up to my chin and hardly ever uses the force, who is universally disliked by the Imperial guard, who the Dark Council only tolerates because of you, is some kind of powerhouse?” He laughed at the thought.

Scourge rubbed his face. His son was young, ruled by his emotions, influenced by his immediate peers and instructors, at sixteen he was too callous, too bold, and too stupid to realize he was any of those things. He let his son continue to rant in that manner, the way the academy downplayed Remi’s accomplishments was comical.

“I’m sorry father,” the boy concluded, “I love her, but she’s not like us. I know you love her too, for now.” He glanced at his father, “But what about when she gets really old. You’ll still be the same man, I mean she’s going to die one d-”

He did not notice his father moving but in the next moment, the larger man grabbed him by the throat and held him in the air with strength alone. Scourge had never laid a hand on him except in training and never in anger, now he looked down and saw nothing but rage. Koa struggled in the durasteel grasp that held him, he tried to focus his emotions, summoning the power that would allow him to break free, but each time he looked into those mad red eyes his power died, replaced by fear. A haze formed as his vision began to fade, still that grip did not lessen, still those eyes burned with hate.

“Never say that again.” His father said quietly then let go.

Scourge drew his lightsaber and looked around. Koa automatically drew his weapon panicking. “Father, I’m sorry,” he began desperately but Scourge only held up his hand.

“Do you sense them?”

Koa obediently reached out with the force, he sensed dozens of life forms surrounding them, they were not exactly angry but they were menacing.

“Gormak.” His father said hurrying up the trail. The first shots of some kind of plasma cannon hit the trail behind them demolishing the path. “Quickly,” Scourge moved into a sprint, Koa took a moment to follow but caught up easily. They deflected blaster fire as they ran and moved too fast for the Gormak to target with heavy weapons. Their maps had indicated a tunnel ahead that led to a plateau surrounded by rocks and unreachable cliffs. They would be trapped but they could defend themselves there.

Koa outpaced his father, he was smaller and wore lighter armor to support his dual wielding style, as a result he was moving too quickly to change his course when a large Gormak dropped down from the mountain above them and opened fire with a blaster cannon. Koa deflected the first few shots but saw his own death as the rest of the barrage flew toward him. He felt a heavy impact at his back and his body wrenched in a new direction.

Scourge grabbed his son and threw him against the mountain wall away from the deadly shots. He always wore heavy armor and absorbed a few rounds before deflecting the rest back at the Gormak.

Scourge cleared the few Gormak that followed them through the tunnel, the rest stayed outside but circled with purposeful malice. He had not noticed that one of the bolts had pierced his armor and now there was a sizeable hole in it and him. Koa helped him sit and pulled out a small med kit to patch the injury. Scourge waved him away as he continued to fuss.

“Enough, it will hold for now.” he said grinning through the pain, “You fought well.”

“You shouldn’t have saved me.” Koa said stubbornly trying to get more kolto to stay on the injury, “If I made a mistake like that I should die. It is the Sith way.”

“I do what I like,” Scourge replied fondly, “It is the Sith way.”

His son frowned, “What should we do? I can sense their numbers, there’s a dozen left. We could probably take them if we can figure out an escape route.”

Scourge shook his head. “I activated an emergency beacon when we were first attacked. We will wait here, I will not risk you against these creatures, they do not fight with grace or force but their modified weapons are formidable.” Koa did not like the idea of being rescued. His father read his expression and smiled a little. “It is a tactical retreat.”

“How long do you think it will be?”

“Not long. Do not let your fear overwhelm you. Learn to focus it, feed from it, let it give you power.” Scourge instructed. Koa merely grunted and tried not to sense his father’s life growing dimmer.

They began to sense movement in the tunnel, the Gormak had regrouped. Over the past decade and more the Gormak and Voss had made strides to repair the hatred and mistrust brought on by centuries of separation. However, there were elements on both sides that did not want an end to their war.

“We know who you are. We know your importance.” The lead Gormak called, “We will take your bodies and deliver them to Voss-Ka. Your people will demand the Voss retaliate. The Gormak traitors who negotiate with them will be ordered to fight us but they will not, then the talks will end.”

The sound of engines approached and a shadow moved over the ground. A small transport arrived, the Gormak opened fire but it hovered out of range. The door opened and a small figured leaped out falling too fast for the Gormak to train their weapons, a jetpack fired at the last moment arresting the figures fall.

He wore bounty hunter armor and laid down a wall of fire from a wrist-mounted flame-thrower. Koa checked on his father while the hunter held off the Gormak. His skin was ashen but his eyes blazed with light as he watched the newcomer fight. Slowly the Gormak were forced to retreat into the tunnel, the mercenary threw a device after them. Flames burst from the entrance and the stench of burning flesh was all that remained of the attackers.

The hunter ran toward them. Koa found it odd that the armored mercenary checked him first, grabbing his arms and sides looking for injuries. He stared at the emblem on the helm, recognizing it from stories told to him long ago, Hunter Grey had been his childhood hero.

“I’m fine, he’s the injured one.” He shoved the small figure toward his father. He realized the figure was a woman. He never considered the idea that the Hunter Grey from T7’s stories could be female.

“Can you walk?” She asked, her voice distorted by her helmet. Scourge shook his head. The hunter ripped off her glove and touched his face.

Koa watched feeling confused, from the stories, his father once hired Hunter Grey, but he never thought he still employed her. He covered his confusion by looking for Gormak, he extended his senses and found a familiar presence instead. He turned around but saw only his father and the hunter. His eyes widened with disbelief. He felt the glow of light side energy being used to heal his father.

“Mother?” he asked when she was done. The hunter looked up and he was certain he felt her mischievous smile and infuriating wink from behind her helmet.

“You sure are slow to catch on kid. Come on let’s get your father to the ship.” Scourge stood slowly, they all heard the sounds of more Gormak charging them. Remi reached out toward the tunnel and clenched her fist, the ground shook and the entrance collapsed burying their attackers.

Together they walked up the narrow path and boarded the small transport that waited for them. Remi took off her helm and held Lord Scourge hand as the pilot took off. His father’s eyes never left her face.

Koa studied his mother in a new light, and for the first time, he saw what his father did.

Edited by kabeone

Changes

Remi, Scourge

and if for whatever reason you were planning to read it, Remi the Grey spoilers.

The kid will probably crap his drawers if/when he hears the real story of Remi, not the sanitized "I'm too modest"/"we can't let on she's that powerful" version. :D

Or, Force forbid, is under enough threat that he really sees her in action.

The kid will probably crap his drawers if/when he hears the real story of Remi, not the sanitized "I'm too modest"/"we can't let on she's that powerful" version. :D

Or, Force forbid, is under enough threat that he really sees her in action.

I thought up this story from a saying I read somewhere that goes something like "No god is worshipped at his own hearth."

So Remi is all these great and powerful things but Koa has seen her looking frumpy in a fluffy bathrobe and burning toast for breakfast because her cooking skills are terrible and that's all he's seen.

Koa's other problem is he just hasn't been paying attention. He has actually been told exactly what happened without glorification or modesty, but he's 16 and his interpretation was influenced by what he is. He thinks in terms of himself, Big Male Sith Pureblood Strong, Small Female Jedi Human Weak. It's why he thought Hunter Grey was a man.

Scourge is finding out his son has had a little too much Imperial Guard/Korriban Academy and not enough reality.

They were so not ready for parenthood. :D

I just thought you all should know that Vierce hit the marriage-proposal conversation with Dorne. I was recording all possibilities, but the horrible-rejection eventuality cuts off so abruptly that, uh.

That I didn't get to ESC out in time.

I hate myself so much right now

Excuse me while I go write volumes of fix fic...

(Edit: Okay, she still responds to courting gifts and she'll talk about children. Whew. I'm still an objectively horrible man, but I didn't destroy the romance, just the paperwork.......which to Dorne is perilously close to the same thing :( )

Edited by bright_ephemera

New Paths

Maura (trooper) and Aric, takes place after the story arc and the birth of their twins. Minor spoiler for Ch1.

Maura went inside their quiet house and realized the twins were sleeping but so were their guardians. She laughed to herself, two toddlers could really sap your energy, and with Mags pregnant and her mom, well, her mom, she wasn’t too surprised. She glanced back at Aric, who was setting the door alarm behind them, and motioned him to follow her upstairs. She grinned in the darkened hallway, knowing that even though they were setting off on missions in the morning, they’d rock each other’s world tonight. Aric was fully on board with this plan and hurried her along and up the stairs. They’d almost reached the top when Maura stopped abruptly, Aric almost bowling her over from behind. He peered angrily around his wife, seeing the large form of a sleeping Weequay at the top of the stairs.

The smell of alcohol floated around him, and Maura looked at Aric, puzzled. Aric bent to shove the man’s shoulder and reared back when Tanno Vik sat up suddenly.

“Major, bad news, I had to make sure I caught you. Garza sent an encrypted message and, well, I was the only one on the ship..”

“Spit it out, Tanno, what’s up?” she snapped at him.

“Fuse is dead, his body was found at the entry to her office this evening when the Senate Plaza was being cleaned.” He hung his head. “I knew you’d want to know, and didn’t want to scare your family, so I waited here.”

Maura stood mute, seeing Aric turn away from them both. He’d known Fuse since the young demolitions expert had been send to Ord Mantell, his first posting after boot camp. He’ll take this hard, she thought, he’d always liked the young man. Aric slowly walked away from them, toward their room. She turned back to Tanno, who remained sitting on the top step.

“What else, Vik? Are they investigating, what are the burial plans, did he have family somewhere?” she asked in a low voice, not wanting to wake anyone.

“We’re to go to Coruscant tomorrow, that’s all she said. Meet with her at 1400.” He absently rubbed his eyes.

“Thanks, Tanno. I appreciate you letting us know,” she patted his shoulder. “Go sleep it off, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I’m not drunk, Major, I spilled the first drink I poured all over me when the priority message klaxon went off.” He half-smiled at her, “Probably a good thing I didn’t get started.” She nodded and walked past him, looking for Aric. She found him sitting on the edge of their bed, his head in his hands. She approached him and put her hand on one of his.

“I’m sorry, honey. I know he was a friend of yours.” She sat beside him, but he never moved. She heard him sniff once, and he lifted his head to look into her eyes.

“When is it enough, Maura? Why do we do this to ourselves?” He got up to pace around the room, “How many of our friends are going to die before we’ve had enough?” He paced back to where she was still sitting. “For the first time since I became a soldier, I’ve had enough. I don’t want to go back. And no, this has nothing to do with hearing about Fuse. I’ve been thinking about this for months now.” He took her hand between both of his, “I want to wake up in the mornings knowing that no one is going to shoot at you today. When I was with Corso and Felix the other day, Cor was talking about having a whole herd of baby rontos and Felix told him they were on planet at least till their baby is born, and I was jealous. Jealous! “ He walked to the window, sitting on the seat that ran underneath it. “Fuse’s death just reminds me we’re never safe, anywhere, as long as we wear a Havoc squad patch. And you’re in more danger than the rest of us, as leader.” He turned to look at her then, for a long minute. “How much longer can you defy the odds, Maura? I won’t survive losing you.”

She went to him then, and they hugged fiercely, neither of them saying anything. They knew the risks they faced every day, and they’d talked before about an exit strategy. She hadn’t thought about it for a while now, but she was ready when the twins started walking, getting into things on the ship. Aric pulled her back to kiss her, but seeing the tears in her eyes, just crushed her to his chest instead. Finally she lifted her head to him, kissed him softly and said, “Let’s do it. We’re supposed to report to Coruscant tomorrow at 1400. We’ll file the paperwork there.” He nodded at her, knowing they’d figure things out, they always did. They never even undressed, just lay on the bed in the clothes they’d worn to dinner with Miriah and Corso, sleeping in short spans. Just as dawn was breaking, Calleigh joined them, pulling herself up on the bed and snuggling in the small space between them. Maura woke to her daughter stroking her face, those silver eyes waiting to look into her mother’s own brown ones.

“Fly today?” her daughter asked her. Maura had to think, such little sleep had made her brain sluggish.

“No, not today,” she told the little girl. “Mommy and Daddy will, but we will be back before dark.” Calleigh pressed her body to her mother then, sensing the emotional turmoil going on inside Maura. I know Mags said she’s not force sensitive, but I swear she knows things, Maura thought. Aric opened his eyes, and hugged his daughter before kissing his wife. There was an odd lightness to him, she thought, and took Calleigh to get dressed. When she turned from getting Colin ready for breakfast, Aric was there, taking them and telling her to grab a shower, and take her time. He sent the twins downstairs and turned to her, pulling her to him and kissing her.

“I know you’re a little anxious, but I feel like I could float to the ship. It’ll be fine, hon, I promise.” He whistled as he went downstairs to feed the kids. He’s right, she thought, I am anxious. She joined them in the kitchen once she was dressed for the day, in her black cortosis gear. She waited until the kids had bounded off for the playroom before facing Aric.

“We might be asked to help in the investigation into Fuse’s death. Is that something you want to do before we officially retire?” she asked him. He shook his head.

“It’ll always be one thing or another that Garza will try to lure us to stay. Another puzzle, another mission that only we can do. It won’t bring him back,” he told her.

“So, what do you see us doing without being Havoc squad?” she looked at him, seeing him smile for the first time that morning.

“Consultants. Working from here, with occasional trips to other worlds. You’re a premier strategist, your brain is valuable to the military. Your brains, Miriah’s tactics, Corso’s encyclopedic knowledge of weapons, my sniper training—we could form a consulting group. Combined with our pensions, we’d be fine.”

She blinked, it was an idea she hadn’t considered, but it made perfect sense. Suddenly she smiled, knowing they had a plan set her resolve. She knew Garza would argue, but neither of them had any commitment time left on their commissions. “Let’s jet, I’m ready to do this,“ she told him.

On the ship, they told Tanno, Yuun and Elara what they planned to do. Elara cried, as they knew she would, but understood. Tanno said little, and Yuun agreed that their family was more important. When the crew left the briefing room, Tanno doubled back.

“Boss, I have no family, no home planet. Got any room in that consulting firm for a hard worker who likes to blow stuff up? I don’t need a lot of pay, I got a good cushion from gambl… I mean selling salvage and stuff.”

Aric grinned at him and held out his hand. Tanno shook it, and happily scampered off. They could hear him whistling in the crew quarters. They’d completed their requests for terminal leave and sent them ahead of their docking. By the time they reached Garza’s office, she’d know their plans, but Maura wouldn’t be deterred.

They were indeed preceeded by their requests, and Garza was understandably upset, but in the end, when Aric asked her to consider what she’d say to her own daughter, she relented. She’d told them that Fuse had no family, and would be buried in the military graveyard here. They’d be there, she swore, to see him home. They laid the demolitionist to rest that afternoon, and saw many of his squadmates in attendance. As they solemnly made their way to the shuttle service, Maura caught Aric’s hand in hers, holding on when he would pull away. “We don’t have to worry about the regs anymore, hon,” she told him. He grinned at her, and pulled her against him.

“Well, hell, let’s do this right then.” He kissed her as several troops clapped and hooted loudly, and boarded the shuttle. They’d arranged for their personal gear to be taken from their Thunderclap and shipped to them, and would take a taxi home from the shuttleport.

Aric looked at his wife as they started home, and she smiled up at him. He knew when he’d met her that his life would change. For the first time in forever, he felt that she was safe now, and that was priceless.

Finally I get to catch up, and everyone's stories have been great! Kabe, the Remi/Scourge/Koa story was excellent! Bright--ARGH! Love Vierce, hate that he won't be with Dorne. I'm sorry that happened to you, it's why I never attempted to esc out and restart any of the romance options. Elliotcat, your Meyali sounds as motherly as Miriah's mom Sarai, well done with the blending of her with Zash. Maybe the emotions of the Sith will make Meyali an actual person. Tatille, love the backstory on Broan!

While I appreciate the excellent craftsmanship of the SW/Quinn stories and applaud irishinfo and iamnotawitch, I am totally saturated with Quinn.

Very nice stories all around this week!

There is not enough time in the day, to keep up with my reading and writing, Just got caught up!

@Kabe, YAY Koa!! also lol at stupid teenagers, It's why I love Bright's Rylon as well.

@Bright, I am loving Vierce I'm so sorry you screwed up the marriage talk. Here feel better: Let me tell you about the time I first played through DA:O, and trying to be good and diplomatic ended up driving Alistair away and had that other guy join me. I stopped playing. I recently replayed DA:O, killed the guy at that scene, Alistair and I were all lovey dovey, except I guess my affection wasn't high enough cause the jerk broke up with me, then sacrificed himself to the damn arch demon. I can't win with him!!

@ Tatile, I am loving the Broan back story, and early romance bits, love!

@Mags, You have this way of just making me happy, I love glimpsing into your characters worlds.

@Elliotcat, omg, need more Meyali/Zash, I love that twist and I love where it might lead. I'm always a fan of a good villain!

@Iamnotawitch, I'm trying so hard to avoid SI spoilers, but I snuck a peak at the Talos story, and I must say I can't wait to meet him in person!

@Fino, I like this glimpse into Athra's life. I like the slightly more serious turn where we get to see who she is outside of Quinn's eternal tormentor from Quick Quinn Quotes. Lovely work as always.

Edited by Earthmama

Elliotcat, I love the Vash/Meyali thing, it's just delicious and has so many possibilities.

Mags <3 these guys; love Aric as daddy, (cause he'd make a great one), and Tanno is just too much fun. I've actually been using Tanno for once, hauling him all over just cause I needed a change. Guy's interesting. The little comments he makes in different places really add something to his personality.

Bright :'( I've had nightmares about messing up romances (mostly when I was stressing over Aric taking FOR-EV-ER to get moving). I finally decided that if I ever did mess one up I'd reroll, even at like level 50, cause it would bother me forever. Not that I'm suggesting you do this! I'm just anal about regrets to the point that: (IA Nar Shaddaa and Taris spoilers):

I'm actually considering rerolling an ia just so I can kill Chance. Cause I didn't, cause I was thinking strategically instead of how the game actually goes where if you had a chance to kill a character it doesn't matter cause they NEVER SHOW UP AGAIN. And the hypocritical bastard deserved to die. Watcher X...I didn't and I'm glad and argh...need to see how this story ends. <runs off to die in the snow again>

Some of the other ones I haven't read cause I'm avoiding spoilers for IA chapter 2 and on (Xa is getting there, she's just underleveled and wandering around in the snow on Hoth right now) and end game smug and si. I'm not as fanatical about those two, but I'm trying to avoid the big stuff.

Ack...thread...moving...too...fast... :D

SW spoilers:

I can't connect SW romances to real life morals. I cannot do it. It's too nauseating. Quinn consistently likes it when you won't take no for an answer. You are rewarded for wrongness like ordering him to kiss you immediately after he says he isn't willing. You can command sexual contact from an unwilling target who has no way of saying no to you, and you are given numerical positive feedback and told that he likes it. It's horrifying. Then he turns the tables, smacks you with a murder attempt, and you can just say "lulz, all right, let's get it on now." And people take that option, gladly, and the boyfriend/husband goes on as if everything's just peachy keen.

From all I hear, DS Jaesa likes to be trampled as well, and we're not talking healthy BDSM safeword stuff. You know how all male Force users can take advantage of their padawans/apprentices? She really, really likes that worshipful sub position.

This is roleplaying the Empire and, worse, the Sith, and it just hits so many yucky notes I have to keep it in a little mental compartment well away from my usual ethical sensibilities. Even there there's some convo options I can't click.

(Oddly enough, I loved Quinn's power balance in my first playthrough because I kept hitting the "I'm'a respect your wishes" notes, it didn't occur to me to hit anything else, and I was astonished that those notes were available to me. It felt great. <3 And then I saw some recordings of the options I didn't take…)

Discussion has moved on a bit, but I wanted to respond to this because your experience and reaction has been very similar to my own.

SW spoilers, naturally!

Some elements of the romance make me very uncomfortable myself. After the first couple of flirts with Quinn, I started feeling like I was sexually harrassing him and hit the "respect your wishes" responses as well. I like them because my character got to say that she wasn't offended by his deflections, but she didn't get embarrassed by having expressed interest. She just left it as: I'm attracted to you, but you don't seem to be comfortable with it, so I'll leave it there; it's up to you to let me know if you change your mind. It showed a refreshing maturity and respect in the relationship.

I think, to an extent, it also examined some gender clichés about the pursuer in romance and the pursued. It's often taken as an unspoken assumption that a man needs to persist through a natural number of brush-offs by a woman, and that she does so in order to test just how interested/committed he is. A certain kind of "pure" woman has to act like she's not interested at first, but in time any ice maiden will defrost to the hero's warmth. The feeling of squick one gets when the gender roles are reversed, as in Quinn's romance, helps to highlight the hypocrisy of that whole trope.

I've been trying to think how to handle the betrayal in my personal head-canon, and some related issues cropped up. For a start: what if gender roles were reversed in the betrayal? Would people feel as justified if a male sith warrior was choking / beating up a defeated female Quinn with whom he'd been in a relationship? Maybe they were even married? Would that be seen as domestic violence, even though Quinn had struck first? Would a female Quinn be interpreted as more powerless or easily manipulated in the Baras situation, and, thus, more easily forgiven? A whole load of negative gender tropes on both sides are running around in my head here.

Your mention of Jaesa brings other things to mind when I try to decide how to think of Quinn's betrayal. My warrior is, on balance, 3/4 light sided. She took all the light sided choices when it came to the missions to get Jaesa. However, even if you do it in the least dark-sided way that the game allows, you are still striking at those she loves, taking her parents out of their previous lives, and pushing her master to the dark side. Sure, Nomen Karr turned out to be egocentric, but ultimately it was his passion to protect Jaesa and to use her power for good, to thwart the Empire generally and Baras specifically, that drove him to use whatever he could to try and stop the sith warrior. The sith warrior takes everything that matters from him, and all because Baras ordered it. Yet, somehow, Jaesa is able to get on fine with the sith warrior and develop a relationship of trust. Something else horrible? Getting that device from the dark temple on Dromund Kaas to melt the mind of that poor, impossibly brave Republic agent who resisted Baras for so long. Why? Because Baras ordered it. I'm really not sure that Quinn's betrayal, horrible and premeditated and gut-wrenching as it was, was genuinely worse than all the things even a light-sided warrior does on Baras's command. Of course, the difference is that the sith warrior loved and trusted Quinn, whereas those others were enemies of the Empire. But, if Quinn is to believe Baras, the sith warrior is an opponent and an enemy, no matter what his personal feelings about her mind be. Is he just doing the same kind of thing that she did against Baras's enemies?

So, for me, part of the process of reconciling my warrior and Quinn is realising that they were both manipulated by Baras and that they both have some work of redemption to do.

Edited by Estelindis

Discussion has moved on a bit, but I wanted to respond to this because your experience and reaction has been very similar to my own.

SW spoilers, naturally!

Some elements of the romance make me very uncomfortable myself. After the first couple of flirts with Quinn, I started feeling like I was sexually harrassing him and hit the "respect your wishes" responses as well. I like them because my character got to say that she wasn't offended by his deflections, but she didn't get embarrassed by having expressed interest. She just left it as: I'm attracted to you, but you don't seem to be comfortable with it, so I'll leave it there; it's up to you to let me know if you change your mind. It showed a refreshing maturity and respect in the relationship.

I think, to an extent, it also examined some gender clichés about the pursuer in romance and the pursued. It's often taken as an unspoken assumption that a man needs to persist through a natural number of brush-offs by a woman, and that she does so in order to test just how interested/committed he is. A certain kind of "pure" woman has to act like she's not interested at first, but in time any ice maiden will defrost to the hero's warmth. The feeling of squick one gets when the gender roles are reversed, as in Quinn's romance, helps to highlight the hypocrisy of that whole trope.

I've been trying to think how to handle the betrayal in my personal head-canon, and some related issues cropped up. For a start: what if gender roles were reversed in the betrayal? Would people feel as justified if a male sith warrior was choking / beating up a defeated female Quinn with whom he'd been in a relationship? Maybe they were even married? Would that be seen as domestic violence, even though Quinn had struck first? Would a female Quinn be interpreted as more powerless or easily manipulated in the Baras situation, and, thus, more easily forgiven? A whole load of negative gender tropes on both sides are running around in my head here.

Your mention of Jaesa brings other things to mind when I try to decide how to think of Quinn's betrayal. My warrior is, on balance, 3/4 light sided. She took all the light sided choices when it came to the missions to get Jaesa. However, even if you do it in the least dark-sided way that the game allows, you are still striking at those she loves, taking her parents out of their previous lives, and pushing her master to the dark side. Sure, Nomen Karr turned out to be egocentric, but ultimately it was his passion to protect Jaesa and to use her power for good, to thwart the Empire generally and Baras specifically, that drove him to use whatever he could to try and stop the sith warrior. The sith warrior takes everything that matters from him, and all because Baras ordered it. Yet, somehow, Jaesa is able to get on fine with the sith warrior and develop a relationship of trust. Something else horrible? Getting that device from the dark temple on Dromund Kaas to melt the mind of that poor, impossibly brave Republic agent who resisted Baras for so long. Why? Because Baras ordered it. I'm really not sure that Quinn's betrayal, horrible and premeditated and gut-wrenching as it was, was genuinely worse than all the things even a light-sided warrior does on Baras's command. Of course, the difference is that the sith warrior loved and trusted Quinn, whereas those others were enemies of the Empire. But, if Quinn is to believe Baras, the sith warrior is an opponent and an enemy, no matter what his personal feelings about her mind be. Is he just doing the same kind of thing that she did against Baras's enemies?

So, for me, part of the process of reconciling my warrior and Quinn is realising that they were both manipulated by Baras and that they both have some work of redemption to do.

That was an awesome response. Very well thought out and eloquent. Just had to say it... lol...

SW spoilers, naturally!

That has got to be one of the BEST "Pro" Quinn arguments I have read to date!

You are absolutely right in that what if the gender rolls were reversed. It's an interesting question, very well said, and very thought provoking (I've had a gender bender idea floating around in my head for the SW for a long time now, I may just start exploring it.)

Edited by Earthmama

Changes

Remi, Scourge

Long 2,400 words or so

Koa walked beside his father through the mountains of Voss. His mother, Remi, was supposed to be working nearby but he had not seen her yet. He watched Lord Scourge out of the corner of his eye. For the sake of appearances, his father was stern and aloof when he visited Korriban Academy, but in private, he was generous with both affection and approval. Their closeness meant he could speak about any subject and ask any question. He had been quiet for the last few kilometers while he worked up the courage to broach a very tricky topic. Lord Scourge seemed to sense his difficulties and waited for his son to find the right words.

“Why are you still with mother?” Koa blurted unable to think of another way ask.

Lord Scourge only raised an eyebrow, “What’s wrong with your mother?”

Koa frowned, “She’s a Jedi for one thing.”

“She has not called herself a Jedi in years.”

“She calls herself a Sith but she still acts like a Jedi, she still has Jedi friends.” He thought of his Aunt Kira and scowled.

“Fine, she’s a Jedi,” his father acknowledged, “but she has always been that way, why would I leave her now?”

“She’s,” Koa made a face, “old.” His father barked a laughed. “I know technically you’re way older,” he said quickly, “but she’s starting to look old. You know all my female classmates ask about you when you come to visit. You could get a real Sith wife.”

Lord Scourge still regarded his son with humor. “Son, if you ever find a young woman as beautiful, smart, and powerful as your mother, I suggest that you keep her for yourself.”

Koa gave up trying to sell him on finding a new wife and gave him the real reason. “I just don’t want the two of you to be miserable when I’m away after I graduate.” He would not see his parents for years after leaving the Academy. It was important for him to establish himself as an individual, a power in his own right, and not just the son of Lord Scourge.

Now his father stopped, “What makes you think your mother would be miserable?”

“Because you two fight all the time?” Koa answered, “I’ve seen you, you’ll say something to her that gets under her skin, she’ll snap at you then disappear for a while. She pretends she’s happy but I can sense her anger when you do that, I know you can too. I figured you’d both be happier apart. Maybe she can go back to the Jedi and deny her emotions or something.” He loved his mother, even though he thought she was crazy old mynock. She worked as a diplomat, choosing to talk endlessly with the Dark Council on his father’s behalf rather than doing anything active or useful. He would miss her if she went back to the Jedi but at least she would be happy there, if Jedi could be happy. He was never sure about that.

“Oh.” Scourge said thoughtfully, then he hesitated.

“What? What is it?” Koa crossed his arms, unwilling to move.

“Your mother can control her anger, we would not be able to sense it if she did not want us to.”

“You see? She wants us to know she’s angry.”

“No, son, she wants me to know I make her angry.” Scourge smiled almost sheepishly, “She knows I like it.”

Koa blinked, he thought back to the times his parents argued. His mother would flush then walk away or hiss that they should discuss things in private. His father would follow, sometimes smiling sadistically. He looked at the arguments in a new light. “You mean every time you argue you guys…” He trailed off unable to think of his parents, his mother, that way.

“But, you argue all the time.” His father’s smile turned wolfish. “Ew.” He said rolling his eyes. He continued walking up the trail. His father chuckled darkly and followed.

“I apologize for allowing you to think we were not happy together.” Scourge said from behind him, “I hope it did not cause you difficulties.”

“No,” Koa shuddered trying to erase the imagery, “I just don’t get it. You could have anyone, why her?”

“I thought you knew your mother’s story.”

“She told me the short version, and there’s a new class about it at the academy.” He shrugged, “They match up pretty well, she was the one in the final battle but it took an entire Republic fleet to get her there. The class at the academy even questions that she was in the final fight. They claim it was just T7 but I doubt that part.” He thought about the little droid that told him stories as a child fighting the ultimate power in the galaxy. It made him laugh.

“And that matches your mother’s version?”

“Hers is worse, she said she was captured the first time the Jedi attacked and wouldn’t have escaped if you didn’t help.” He shook his head. “She told me the vision was yours and that you’ve saved her life more times than she can count, she always says you were the real hero.

Scourge sighed, “I know we are Sith, but did it occur to you that your mother was being modest?”

Koa scoffed, “Are you trying to tell me that my mother, the diplomat and former Jedi, who barely comes up to my chin and hardly ever uses the force, who is universally disliked by the Imperial guard, who the Dark Council only tolerates because of you, is some kind of powerhouse?” He laughed at the thought.

Scourge rubbed his face. His son was young, ruled by his emotions, influenced by his immediate peers and instructors, at sixteen he was too callous, too bold, and too stupid to realize he was any of those things. He let his son in that manner, the way the academy downplayed Remi’s accomplishments was comical.

“I’m sorry father,” the boy concluded, “I love her, but she’s not like us. I know you love her too, for now.” He glanced at his father, “But what about when she gets really old. You’ll still be the same man, I mean she’s going to die one d-”

He did not notice his father moving but in the next moment, the larger man grabbed him by the throat and held him in the air with strength alone. Scourge had never laid a hand on him except in training and never in anger, now he looked down and saw nothing but rage. Koa struggled in the durasteel grasp that held him, he tried to focus his emotions, summoning the power that would allow him to break free, but each time he looked into those mad red eyes his power died, replaced by fear. A haze formed as his vision began to fade, still that grip did not lessen, still those eyes burned with hate.

“Never say that again.” His father said quietly then let go.

Scourge drew his lightsaber and looked around. Koa automatically drew his weapon panicking. “Father, I’m sorry,” he began desperately but Scourge only held up his hand.

“Do you sense them?”

Koa obediently reached out with the force, he sensed dozens of life forms surrounding them, they were not exactly angry but they were menacing.

“Gormak.” His father said hurrying up the trail. The first shots of some kind of plasma cannon hit the trail behind them demolishing the path. “Quickly,” Scourge moved into a sprint, Koa took a moment to follow but caught up easily. They deflected blaster fire as they ran and moved too fast for the Gormak to target with heavy weapons. Their maps had indicated a tunnel ahead that led to a plateau surrounded by rocks and unreachable cliffs. They would be trapped but they could defend themselves there.

Koa outpaced his father, he was smaller and wore lighter armor to support his dual wielding style, as a result he was moving too quickly to change his course when a large Gormak dropped down from the mountain above them and opened fire with a blaster cannon. Koa deflected the first few shots but saw his own death as the rest of the barrage flew toward him. He felt a heavy impact at his back and his body wrenched in a new direction.

Scourge grabbed his son and threw him against the mountain wall away from the deadly shots. He always wore heavy armor and absorbed a few rounds before deflecting the rest back at the Gormak.

Scourge cleared the few Gormak that followed them through the tunnel, the rest stayed outside but circled with purposeful malice. He had not noticed that one of the bolts had pierced his armor and now there was a sizeable hole in it and him. Koa helped him sit and pulled out a small med kit to patch the injury. Scourge waved him away as he continued to fuss.

“Enough, it will hold for now.” he said grinning through the pain, “You fought well.”

“You shouldn’t have saved me.” Koa said stubbornly trying to get more kolto to stay on the injury, “If I made a mistake like that I should die. It is the Sith way.”

“I do what I like,” Scourge replied fondly, “It is the Sith way.”

His son frowned, “What should we do? I can sense their numbers, there’s a dozen left. We could probably take them if we can figure out an escape route.”

Scourge shook his head. “I activated an emergency beacon when we were first attacked. We will wait here, I will not risk you against these creatures, they do not fight with grace or force but their modified weapons are formidable.” Koa did not like the idea of being rescued. His father read his expression and smiled a little. “It is a tactical retreat.”

“How long do you think it will be?”

“Not long. Do not let your fear overwhelm you. Learn to focus it, feed from it, let it give you power.” Scourge instructed. Koa merely grunted and tried not to sense his father’s life growing dimmer.

They began to sense movement in the tunnel, the Gormak had regrouped. Over the past decade and more the Gormak and Voss had made strides to repair the hatred and mistrust brought on by centuries of separation. However, there were elements on both sides that did not want an end to their war.

“We know who you are. We know your importance.” The lead Gormak called, “We will take your bodies and deliver them to Voss-Ka. Your people will demand the Voss retaliate. The Gormak traitors who negotiate with them will be ordered to fight us but they will not, then the talks will end.”

The sound of engines approached and a shadow moved over the ground. A small transport arrived, the Gormak opened fire but it hovered out of range. The door opened and a small figured leaped out falling too fast for the Gormak to train their weapons, a jetpack fired at the last moment arresting the figures fall.

He wore bounty hunter armor and laid down a wall of fire from a wrist-mounted flame-thrower. Koa checked on his father while the hunter held off the Gormak. His skin was ashen but his eyes blazed with light as he watched the newcomer fight. Slowly the Gormak were forced to retreat into the tunnel, the mercenary threw a device after them. Flames burst from the entrance and the stench of burning flesh was all that remained of the attackers.

The hunter ran toward them. Koa found it odd that the armored mercenary checked him first, grabbing his arms and sides looking for injuries. He stared at the emblem on the helm, recognizing it from stories told to him long ago, Hunter Grey had been his childhood hero.

“I’m fine, he’s the injured one.” He shoved the small figure toward his father. He realized the figure was a woman. He never considered the idea that the Hunter Grey from T7’s stories could be female.

“Can you walk?” She asked, her voice distorted by her helmet. Scourge shook his head. The hunter ripped off her glove and touched his face.

Koa watched feeling confused, from the stories, his father once hired Hunter Grey, but he never thought he still employed her. He covered his confusion by looking for Gormak, he extended his senses and found a familiar presence instead. He turned around but saw only his father and the hunter. His eyes widened with disbelief. He felt the glow of light side energy being used to heal his father.

“Mother?” he asked when she was done. The hunter looked up and he was certain he felt her mischievous smile and infuriating wink from behind her helmet.

“You sure are slow to catch on kid. Come on let’s get your father to the ship.” Scourge stood slowly, they all heard the sounds of more Gormak charging them. Remi reached out toward the tunnel and clenched her fist, the ground shook and the entrance collapsed burying their attackers.

Together they walked up the narrow path and boarded the small transport that waited for them. Remi took off her helm and held Lord Scourge hand as the pilot took off. His father’s eyes never left her face.

Koa studied his mother in a new light, and for the first time, he saw what his father did.

This. Was. AWESOME!

@irishfino Thanks! :)

I just thought you all should know that Vierce hit the marriage-proposal conversation with Dorne. I was recording all possibilities, but the horrible-rejection eventuality cuts off so abruptly that, uh.

That I didn't get to ESC out in time.

I hate myself so much right now

Excuse me while I go write volumes of fix fic...

(Edit: Okay, she still responds to courting gifts and she'll talk about children. Whew. I'm still an objectively horrible man, but I didn't destroy the romance, just the paperwork.......which to Dorne is perilously close to the same thing :( )

Awww... :(

JK Doc companion spoiler

I did the opposite, one of my JK's married doc by accident. I was so pissed I rerolled.

Edit: Trooper Taris Spoiler

@bright So when you first meet Dorne and she walks away Jorgen says some things about how stiff she is (or whatever) and you can say "Did little Jorgan meet his dream girl?" Did you pick that one? I did. I was hoping there would be a Jorgan/Dorne romance. It's actually kind of how I'm seeing your Jorgan and Dorne right now. I think a Dorgan relationship would be a monster of protocol.

Edit edit: (trying not to double post)

SW Spoilers

SW Spoiler

That's really the problem with Quinn's writing isn't it? That would be great.... and does not happen at all.

Quinn has no resolution you have to make it up for yourself. We need a word count for how many Fanfics were written trying to find a reason and a resolution for that character.

Edited by kabeone

@ Elliotcat: I really enjoy the whole Zash-Meyali dynamic. Then you're left with wondering whether she's lying or telling the truth, and which would be worse.

Changes

Remi, Scourge

Ok, I liked the whole thing, but this bit made me giggle. I swear Teenagers everywhere prefer the 'stork brought me' story to the obvious biological facts.

@ Magdalane: Hate to just repeat other comments, but daddy-Auric is great.

That was an awesome response. Very well thought out and eloquent. Just had to say it... lol...

Thanks! That really means a lot coming from such a prolific Quinn-writer. :o To be honest, it comes as a result of trying to put togerher some fic of my own that reconciles the various inconsistencies presented in the writing. Only when I have asked all questions and explored all possibilities do I have the right to discard whatever I end up thinking the writers shouldn't have put in there.

That has got to be one of the BEST "Pro" Quinn arguments I have read to date!

You are absolutely right in that what if the gender rolls were reversed. It's an interesting question, very well said, and very thought provoking (I've had a gender bender idea floating around in my head for the SW for a long time now, I may just start exploring it.)

Thank you very much! In all honestly, though, I don't think of it as a pro-Quinn, or, for that matter, an anti-Warrior argument. I am just trying to investigate the moral dynamics of their personalities and relationship.

I would be incredibly interested to read such a gender-switch fic!

Another comment of Bright's that I'd been thinking about was the comparison between quick Quinn forgiveness (leading to resumption of the romance) and going back to an abusive husband. The comparison had occurred to me before she made it, but seeing it posted by her made me examine it more closely in my head. Quinn tried to kill the Warrior. However, if one takes the dark-side option after defeating him, is that worse or better than what he did? A few sub-comparisons come to mind immediately (if "sub-comparisons" even makes sense): 1) Quinn's calm planning and calculation vs. the Warrior's rage; 2) Quinn's striking first vs. the Warrior's reprisal; 3) and the level of violence involved in each attack.

1) Emotion. A crime of passion is generally regarded as less severe than premeditated violence. On the other hand, how many times have we rejected the idea that a husband hitting his wife in a rage is in any way defensible? 2) Striking first. Quinn is squarely in the wrong as being the first to strike at the warrior. I think that, in a situation of domestic violence, we would applaud somebody fighting back to defend themselves. But if the person who successfully defended themselves then went on to beat the tar out of the now-defenseless partner, would we regard that as quite so justifiable? 3) Level of violence. The fight again Quinn and the droids was a walk in the park. If I was designing it, I might have made it so that he sabotaged the Warrior's lightsabers (or something similar), making it incredibly close. For him to do it the way he did was just stupid, and I didn't think he was a stupid man. Of course, from a gameplay point of view, a near-overwhelming fight, sans-medic, would probably lead to a player rebellion. Furthermore, from a writing perspective, it might make it difficult for even those who really want to forgive Quinn to do so. So we have what we have: an easy fight. As for the dark-side option after Quinn is beaten, the fade-to-black between the choke and the Warrior nudging his body with her foot obviously could have covered a multitude. However, the dialogue option did indicate he would be only barely alive when she was finished with him, and the panicked noise he makes when he regains consciousness seems to indicate that things got quite bad. Just my interpretation. So... I suppose what I'm wondering is... if he eventually resumes a romance with the Warrior, would that make *him* like the abused partner returning to their abuser?

I find it all extremely confusing. :( I mean, I agree that there is the possibility that the Warrior forgiving him and resuming their relationship could be like returning to an abusive husband, but I just don't necessarily see it as all in one direction. On the other hand, even my warrior, who I want to become reconciled with Quinn eventually, couldn't take that light side option right away. I think of her as lashing out in pain-filled rage, and then, after some time, starting to see Quinn meld into various people that Darth Baras tortured or killed: the Republic agent on DK, or the Hoth commander he choked via holo. That makes her recoil and, with a little time, want to examine the roots of evil in herself as well as those in Quinn. The fact that treachery and power plays are almost seen as the norm for sith, whereas officers are expected to serve loyally, complicates things further.

I'm starting to feel like I've thought about this too much. :o

Edited by Estelindis