Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Injecting a bit of humor into this thread because you have all depressed the hell out of me.

Prompt: Worst Day Ever

Characters: Athra and Malavai Quinn

Summary: Quinn has the worst possible day he can think of.

Captain Malavai Quinn was having the worst day ever. When he rolled from bed, he actually rolled out of bed and hit the floor with a thump. He quickly gathered himself from the floor and looked around to make sure no one was looking. Of course no one was, he was in his personal quarters, but he couldn’t stop the inset paranoia. He went about his morning routine. In the shower, he dropped his favorite bar of soap. It shattered into small pieces and it would take days to replace it. He sighed grumpily and washed up with the small pieces. Then he ran out of hot water. Cursing and sputtering, he finished his shower. He hadn’t had to take a cold shower since… never mind that.

He stepped from the shower, wrapped a towel around his waist, and stopped at the sink. He didn’t wash his hair because screw that, that water is cold. It left him feeling grubbier than a Nar Shaddaa sewer. He grumped a bit and reached for his toothbrush and toothpaste. He squeezed the tube to find it empty. Someone was out to get him today. He brushed his teeth with just water, feeling wholly unsatisfied with his morning.

He left the refresher and shivered as the cold air of the ship rushed to greet him. He grumbled all the way to his closet and pulled out his uniform. There was nothing that could go wrong with a perfectly tailored unifo- RIIIP – son of a b*tch. He stomped to the closet and pulled his spare uniform from his time on Balmorra. Stars, he hated this thing, but it would do until he had time to mend the new hole in his uniform pants. He would’ve been much happier if the tear was on the crotch and not on the butt.

With a huff he grabbed his datapad from the desk to find the battery dead. He’d have to use his spare. Fine.

He made his way to the bridge without incident. The rest of the crew was probably sleeping and he was glad. He sighed happily as he stood, staring out the windows as the stars streaked by. A bad start to a day could be fixed by thirty minutes of intense parade rest.* When his thirty minutes had finished, he turned and walked to his favorite console. He pressed a few buttons then hissed in pain. He upturned his fingers and found a split nail. The universe was out to get him today.

His day didn’t get any better. His stock of ration bars had expired, it would take three weeks to get in new soap, he was out of thread to fix his pants, and his nail had split down to the quick. Not to mention that there was no more toothpaste onboard and no one seemed to care he was having a crap day. He felt like pouting. So he did. In parade rest. On the bridge. For thirty minutes.

When his shift was over, he grumbled all the way to the liquor cabinet and pulled out a dusty bottle of something-or-other and a tumbler. He sat down hard and poured himself a full glass of whatever and drank it in three gulps. He shuddered and sputtered a bit.

“Rough day?” Athra asked quietly as she slipped into the seat next to him.

“You could say that, my Lord,” he said quietly as he poured another glass of whatever-the-hell.

“I can make it all better,” she whispered huskily.

“It would break every protocol in the book,” he murmured into his glass. She pouted until – “Screw it, I’ve had a sh*t day.”

“Yes, finally!” she cheered.

When she dragged him into her bedroom, the clock turned to 00:00.

EDIT:

Notes:

Have a very grumpy baby yelling at me, so I forgot to thank Reil for this bit. :D

Edited by irishfino

Puppies incoming...ok, not puppies, but an upper at any rate :)

Turning Point

The Things Worth Believing In

BH - Skari (w/ Gault)

Chapter 1 spoilers (w/ minor spoilers for Gault's companion missions)

"Fine, I'll handle this myself," Gault said with narrowed eyes, "Seeing as how you're too good for these jobs anymore."

Skari crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow, "You can't pull off this scam without my help. Give it up."

"I can't believe you're walking away from this opportunity!" He threw up his hands in frustration.

"Selling desperate people fake supplies is beneath me. Hell, it's beneath you, Gault."

"Ever since you got back from meeting up with that guy on Nar Shaddaa you've been spouting this honor crap. What's this about anyway?"

Skari shrugged. "Maybe I'd rather be able to sleep when I'm old."

"Hah! People like you and me, we sleep just fine. Little wine, little music, and a pile of credits to keep us warm."

Skari rolled her eyes, "Gault, one of these days you're going to realize there are more important things than credits. I want you to remember this conversation when that happens."

"Never gonna happen," he said with a grin, "unlike you, I'm quite happy being unscrupulous and greedy. Keeps me from getting bored."

Skari chuckled and headed for the bridge.

"You sure you don't want in on this? Opportunity of a lifetime!"

"You said that last week," she yelled over her shoulder.

"Last week you would have jumped at these credits! You people with your morals!"

Skari settled herself in her favorite spot in the captain's chair and propped her feet up on the console. She looked out at the stars. Gault was right. Meeting Hedarr Soongh had changed her. The old Mandalorian had tried to make things right, to hold onto his warrior's code in a world full of code-breaking and rule-bending. She didn't know if she had it in her to keep to those traditions - she wasn't really the traditional sort - but the old man's words kept ringing in her ears. "Unless you believe in something, you will become an empty shell...or a rabid dog." Everyone knew what you did with rabid dogs, and becoming a shell of a person was too real a possibility to dismiss.

Honor. It was worth trying. Something to believe in, maybe.

Author's Note:

This is actually pretty close to what happened in game. I couldn't figure out if I wanted to play Skari as a hardened credit-hungry killer or a semi-decent person with morals. And then this old Mandalorian started talking about honor and dignity.

At any rate, Gault's a fun one. Funny thing about him and Doc. (spoilers for their companion quests)

While Doc gets progressively more selfish and disturbing as his companion quests go on (considering developing a disease just so you can get credit for saving people from it is in my evil pile), Gault has some real moments where he puts himself (and his credits) out there.

By the end of Gault's companion quests, it felt like he and Skari were the type of friends who make fun of each other and then laugh at other people. One of the more complex companions, which is always fun.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Before I leave for Soccer, wanted to post this little story I wrote up. Btw great stories people even though I really need some happiness right now.:D

Prompt: Worst Day Ever

Title: Retake

Spoilers: None but there is a semi-implied JK spoiler

Ashara”, yelled Darth Nox, her voice echoing through her meditation chamber,” Are you ready?”

“Yes master”, said Ashara taking a last check on the camera lenses of the holo camera.

“Then we must commence the filming at once”, said Nox sharply,” And remember it has to be perfect this time.”

Ashara counted down from three and in moments Nox was being recorded.

Darth Nox cleared her throat and spoke in a most frightening manner,” Citizens of the galaxy! Look upon me, the new ruler of the Empire!”

Nox smiled wide, her deep red eyes dancing as she paced. “I have news for you all. The Emperor is dead and his reign is at an end! Now I take his mantle and will now reshape the Empire into what it could have been!”

Ashara looked down at the camera’s control panel, her face twisting with some embarrassment, but let Nox continue with her speech.

“Those who serve me will reap the fruits of my power. Those who rebel will feel my wrath and be wiped from the face of the galaxy! My ascendance will lead the Empire into victory! This I promise you.”

Nox signaled for Ashara to cut transmission, but Ashara simply motioned for Nox to come over to the camera. Nox, confused, walked over to Ashara who pointed at the control panel.

Darth Nox wasn’t being recorded.

Darth Nox glared angrily at Ashara, enraged that not even her own apprentice could operate the machine. With that Darth Nox threw the camera down into the Citadel’s reactors and walked out of her chambers.

Take 33 was on its way.

Author Note:

Just a little something I came up with to kind of brighten up the mood here.:) Also, Nox is a bit of a perfectionist when making her opening speech to the galaxy.:D

@kabeone, mm, Lord Grey sounds good. Even if he's standing alone :(

@Bright - Biron...just yum.

I don't know if anyone has taken the dark side choices on that one, but does he survive regardless? I'd love to see him show up down the line.

(Spoilers for Republic Hoth)

Biron does not accompany you to the Spire itself in either case; if you take the DS path, which in-game Nic did, you wipe out the Imperial patrol and Sergeant Katcho mails you later, thanking you for doing the right thing in shutting down Biron's nefarious plan.

...And again with the Gault. Can curiosity push me through Balmorra, Again Syndrome?

@Svein Ha! That could be almost any manager/employee pair I have at work...how much worse for a DC member used to getting her way!

@Morgani Yeah, Corso was amazing until he got interested in me. It was depressingly similar to reality at times...you know, the guy where nobody would believe you if you described how he treats you in private? Yup. That's him. It makes me so mad knowing that if I didn't have certain feminine equipment he could be my best friend instead of a controlling jerk.

Corso leaving wasn't my first fix fic; that distinction goes to Ruth, who didn't get edited into you-know-who surviving until weeks after my first draft. But man, writing Nic's escape, once I got around to it, felt good.

“You could say that, my Lord,” he said quietly as he poured another glass of whatever-the-hell.

"Whatever-the-hell," plus Reil's thirty minutes of intense parade rest...I love what you do with Quinn. I really do.

Edited by bright_ephemera

(Spoilers for Republic Hoth)

Biron does not accompany you to the Spire itself in either case; if you take the DS path, which in-game Nic did, you wipe out the Imperial patrol and Sergeant Katcho mails you later, thanking you for doing the right thing in shutting down Biron's nefarious plan.

Hrrrrmmmm...in-ter-esting...if...and...oh dear...way too many possibilites...argh...brain shutting down...

...And again with the Gault. Can curiosity push me through Balmorra, Again Syndrome?

As someone who just finished it on my ia - legacy speeder. It makes all the difference, seriously. Whoever designed those quests where you're constantly running the full length of the map back and forth was not a nice person. And Gault and Blizz are worth it, heck I even like the kids :)

Quick edit: I keep meaning to say this but we're on page 126?????? Either we've hit a new policy or the mods are not paying attention, lol.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Turning Point

K'abe and Aric because it's trooper time. Spoilers for Trooper Coruscant.

Sergeant Jorgen thought he managed not to show his disapproval.

Lieutenant K’abe, Commander of Havoc Squad answered questions during an informal senate inquiry and proceeded to anger the three Senators most important to approving operations and budget to the military in general and Havoc Squad in particular. They escaped after Ando Prime was mentioned, it seemed once Krasul asked about it the Senators could not end the inquiry fast enough. They returned to Garza who reprimanded the Lieutenant for being too evasive. The Lieutenant never tried to anger the General. She simply stood at ease and replied that she did what she had to. Now they had a new assignment in Justicar territory.

Jorgen stared at the back of the Lieutenant’s head, debating whether or not he should warn her about the dangers they would face and who the Justicars were. She hated his advice, or at least she seemed to. He was following her out of Garza’s office when she took a detour to a small, unused conference room.

“Close the door Sergeant.” She said turning to face him. He complied, when he turned back her arms were crossed, her tan face was serious. Her zabrak facial tattoos looked more severe with her expression, her spiky hair and horns gave her an intimidating slightly demonic look like something out of a folk tale. He wondered if she looked that way intentionally to make up for her small stature.

“Do you have a problem with me, Sergeant?”

“Sir?” He asked, thoroughly confused.

“I don’t trust you, you don’t trust me, and I don’t need to be a Jedi to sense your disapproval at just about everything I do, so we need to have this out, right now.”

“I don’t,” he began then shut his mouth. Lying was not something he liked or did well, “You’re reckless and inexperienced, you aren’t ready for command, it takes more than good aim to make a commander.”

“You’ve seen my record, I’ve fought Imps and led squads the same number of years as you. I might even have more considering I never chose to warm up a desk.” She plastered on a sweet smile, “Some of us don’t get the benefit of being raised on core worlds. We don’t get to join up with the real military until after we’ve earned the right to be there.”

He kept his temper in check just barely, “You should have told the truth at the Senate hearing instead of pretending you didn’t know anything.”

“The truth?” She said tilting her head to the side. “You mean that you should have known something was wrong on Ord Mantell? That you missed vital signs that something was off? That truth?”

If she had not been his commander, he would have killed her where she stood, to hell with keeping his temper in check. “What are you talking about?” he said angrily, “There’s no way I could have known.”

“I checked the mission logs and reports of the bomb on Ord Mantell when I took over.” She narrowed her eyes at him, “There was more than enough evidence to think there was a leak coming from inside the base. I thought so the moment I stepped onto the squad. Yet, no one investigated it, especially not the Lieutenant sent to oversee things.” She looked him up and down contemptuously. She was daring him to attack her.

He clenched his jaw biting back what he wanted to say.

She stepped forward until they were chest to chest, it did not bother her that she had to tilt her head back to look into his eyes. “I keep thinking back to your opening speech. Calling me a rookie, ‘whatever you say in the field goes’, every bit of by-the-book if I’ve ever seen it. Now, you question me, argue, barely holding back your disapproval in front of my superiors. So tell me Sergeant, what happened?”

“You’re right.” he yelled angrily. “Happy? I should have seen someone inside was with the Seps, I knew there was something wrong, and every time I thought to look into it, I was ordered not to. ‘No time’ Tavus said, ‘more important things’ he said and I followed orders." He said bitterly, "Then here you come, young upstart questioning everything especially me and you get Havoc Squad and I get thrown under a transport. And you know what? I deserved it. You should have told the Senate about me, I should get thrown out for my mistake. But I’ll tell you one thing, I’m never going to blindly follow orders ever again.”

He finished his rant and waited. Waited for her to rip off his badge and report him to the Senate or Garza or both. Ord Mantell had eaten at him since they left, he was glad to have it out in the open.

“Good.” K’abe replied mildly when she determined he was finished. “I don’t want a blind follower on my team,” her lips quirked at his surprised expression. “My first squad was a group of men your age, all Zabrak. Our mission was to raid a supply outpost. They questioned everything I planned until it was time to attack. But when we ran the mission they followed orders and we made it out alive. Can I count on you for that?”

“Always, sir.” He said seriously.

She nodded and slapped his arm hard enough to make him stagger. “Let’s go bring in a traitor.”

Kabeone, I love it :) Not just cause it's troopers and Jorgan (which are always fun) but because this is a little conversation that should have happened, fits in perfectly, and will now always be a part of how I picture this story. Thank you :)

Yay thanks!

Aric companion spoiler.

My first trooper was a human so that companion mission where Jorgan checked out your record says you graduated top of your class blah blah blah. I was SOOOO happy when my Zabrak trooper got a different line that said she was a resistance fighter from the time she was big enough to hold a blaster :). It was one of those little things that made me squee early on when I played the game.

Yay thanks!

Aric companion spoiler.

My first trooper was a human so that companion mission where Jorgan checked out your record says you graduated top of your class blah blah blah. I was SOOOO happy when my Zabrak trooper got a different line that said she was a resistance fighter from the time she was big enough to hold a blaster :). It was one of those little things that made me squee early on when I played the game.

Wait, really? That's great!

Vierce definitely wasn't a resistance fighter in my head until about forty-eight hours ago. He's a human and I got the top-of-the-class comment in-game. That's really neat that they give aliens a different background flourish.

Also...yeah, having it out with Jorgan is something I ended up doing about every thirty seconds in the Trooper line. He's that kind of guy. I love him anyway.

Yay thanks!

Aric companion spoiler.

That's really cool!

It's not just humans they shift that for though - I'm fairly sure my Mirialian had the top-of-the-class line as well. But then they're a bit more core-world than the Zabrak.

That's really cool!

It's not just humans they shift that for though - I'm fairly sure my Mirialian had the top-of-the-class line as well. But then they're a bit more core-world than the Zabrak.

Sith purebloods get the top of the class line as well.

Purebloods are generally given the human lines - I think the comment was "palette swap human for story lines". Makes sense, but a bit of a pity. They likely hadn't planned well enough for the Legacy species unlock, would have been cool to have to fight for respect as a Pureblood in the Republic. Or not.

Purebloods are generally given the human lines - I think the comment was "palette swap human for story lines". Makes sense, but a bit of a pity. They likely hadn't planned well enough for the Legacy species unlock, would have been cool to have to fight for respect as a Pureblood in the Republic. Or not.

I agree, and that's exactly how I wrote my PB Sith Trooper. A Pureblood should not be able to walk around the Republic without impunity or reproach, no it's not fair to the PB but looking that much like the enemy should have social repercussions.

Two alternate histories that make for non-depressing Turning Points, I think.

First my original Sith Warrior (um, at least, he was my first until the end of Balmorra and the discovery of a certain companion recruitment, at which point I shelved him for six months…) Mellekor! I dug it out to contribute something positive to the week. Spoiler-free, 1000 words.

Mellekor finally made up his mind about his slave.

When he went looking, he found Vette was seated at the conference table as usual, skimming through something on the holonet and occasionally squeaking with glee or grunting with annoyance. She didn't look up when Mellekor entered.

He did not allow himself to hesitate. He lifted the remote and pressed the two release contacts.

A click sounded from Vette's collar. She blinked, then her eyes widened. When she shook her head and raised a hand to touch her neck, the slave collar fell away, inert. Finally she lifted those enormous eyes to him.

"You'll not be collared in my presence," he said. "If you wish to stay you would be most helpful." Then he walked away.

He heard her call after him: "Bet that's your idea of a compliment, huh?"

Mellekor moved on.

The following morning Mellekor considered for some time before pulling on his boots and leaving his cabin. Vette, as he had half suspected, was sitting nervously at the conference table; he stalked to the opposite door without a word. She fell in behind him.

Good.

The Tatooine desert seemed hotter than usual; this, and his annoyance at something unidentifiable and having to do with Vette, kept his power up. The day's mission was a search and kill against some local sand people leaders. Nothing remarkable. Apart from short combat commands and affirmations, the Sith and the Twi'lek did not speak. She fought as well as ever, at least. Good.

When the sun neared its peak he sought shelter in a the shade of a canyon not far from the sand people settlement. He preferred not to converse; instead he meditated, allowing every floating shred of anger and annoyance to wrap around him. The Force would show the way. It always did.

When he returned to full attention, an hour or more later, Vette was gone. She had worked up the nerve after all. He eyed the shadows in the valley and chose to stay where he was for a while longer. He took out his light saber and started carefully cleaning the sand away from the clasps and contacts. Once that was done, the sun was still high and Mellekor was still bored. He activated the saber and began stepping through the most basic of forms.

The sounds of someone approaching were lost in the wind of the valley. Mellekor didn't notice anything amiss until Vette yelled: "Got you something!"

He lowered his light saber and turned to her. "What's that?" Bloody revenge, was it? He wouldn't be surprised. He would regret having to crush her.

She grinned and pulled something out of her pack. When she held it up it seemed to glow in the shadows of the valley. "Prettiest crystal I've seen since Balmorra," she said. "Thought you might put it to better use than the guy I stole it from." She walked up close - his senses thrummed as he strove to detect any ulterior motive - and handed him the crystal. It was true red, like fresh blood, and nearly the size of the tiny Twi'lek's fist.

He held it up to the light. "This is remarkable. Well done." A brief pause, during which he realized that perhaps that was underwhelming for one who had chosen to come back. He looked down to her. "Thank you."

"Least I could do for the guy who took off my collar," she chirped. "Come on, were we going to hit the south camp?"

"Yes. I'll have to work with this crystal tonight." He pocketed it and started the climb to the sand people village.

She pushed her dinner around her plate for a few minutes. Well and good; it gave Mellekor time to wolf down most of his meal.

Finally she worked up the nerve. "So, um, master? I assume that's still what you expect since you haven't said otherwise. What made you decide to take the collar off?"

She never had trouble meeting his eyes. It always made him feel like he couldn't intimidate her, and that anger was quite the useful power source. But that wasn't the point just now. "You are not a slave. You don't have a slave's spirit. Despite being tiny and powerless, you are stronger than some Sith I have met, disgusting as that is. You are clever, courageous, resourceful, and rather annoyingly free-minded. If I remove your collar it was merely changing physical reality to match your mind's reality. This is something the Sith are not unaccustomed to."

She listened to all this in wide-eyed silence. At the end she quirked a smile. "That was almost nice. If I didn't know better, I'd say you kinda liked me."

"If you didn't know better," he snapped, "you would still be wearing that collar." That shut her up for a bit. They both ate a few bites. In time he set his fork down again. "You will still address me as 'master' or 'my lord.' This is only fitting to my station. Continue to serve me and you will have my protection, that is a promise." He stood. "You are a person. I see that. If you work for me it will be as a servant, not a slave. Otherwise I will let you off at some civilized place that is convenient."

"You would really let me go," she said quietly.

"Yes. Act against me and die, but you are free to go."

She stared up at him for half a minute or so. "You really are very, very weird," she said.

He looked at her and didn't bother saying the words about how she shouldn't test his patience. She gave him one last cheeky half-smile and then started eating with a will.

Notes:

This absolutely didn't happen in Mellekor's real story. Which I haven't written, but if I did, it wouldn't have happened. He's a stark traditionalist Dark Side Sith. And yet, the more I dealt with slave Vette, the more this image came to mind. Freeing her would've changed a lot about him.

The Warrior gets the chance to say some outright disturbing things about much of a non-person Vette is. Walking the line of keeping her collar on without shocking her is weird.

Then Inquisitor Niselle, in a non-comedic but still positive tone, just another road not traveled, and definitely one of the first things that came to mind by the time I finished Act 2. Spoilers for the Inquisitor Act 2. 400 words.

Niselle shut her eyes and clamped her hands over her ears, but nothing stopped the prodding and bickering of the ghosts in her head. She got up, belted a robe around herself, and padded out to the bridge to look out at the stars.

“My lord?”

She turned around. Talos Drellik stood in the doorway, looking as neat at three AM as he did on the job. “Talos. What brings you here at this hour?”

“I’m usually awake for a little while around now. I don’t need as much sleep as I used to. Age or something, I suppose, though I hope it doesn’t mean I’m running down.”

She laughed a small laugh. “When you stop lighting up the room at the very prospect of another tomb, then I’ll worry about you running down. Not before.”

He smiled and moved to the rail beside her. He glanced out at space but settled his gaze back on her. “You’re very kind. So what has you awake?”

She shrugged. “Voices,” she said, though she wasn’t sure she should say anything at all. “Even when they’re not speaking to me, they…whisper. Argue, sometimes at the edge of hearing so I can’t quite make out what they’re saying. I keep trying, but I can’t.” She stared at the floor. “Not the sort of thing your terrible Sith Lord should be complaining about, I know.”

“I understand,” he said gently. “Er, well. Not so much understand as sympathize. It’s astounding that you have come this far, and leveraged these ancient secrets as no one else has been able to. It must be frightfully difficult.” She had a sudden self-conscious desire to not be there. He paused. Then: “Have you tried something as simple as a nightcap?”

She giggled. “Talos, do you really want to see a Sith Lord tipsy?”

"My lord, I didn't know you laughed." That smile was awfully sweet. "Now, I would say tipsiness is preferable to voices, but Sith don't always see things the way I do."

"It'd be worth trying." She took a few steps toward the door. "Uh, I'm not sure what we have."

"Oh, don't touch Andronikos' stores; I'd hate to see him attack you over something as repugnant as that swill he favors. I have some Alderaanian brandy that would be much preferable."

"Talos, I didn't know you had vices."

"Come sample, my lord, and you'll see why I allow this one."

Notes:

Talos Drellik: SO DAMN ADORABLE. I love passionate nerds. You're permitted one [Flirt] line with him on Hoth, and I was tickled pink. Because even if I weren't seriously interested, he's the kind of guy who simply invites gentle flirting.

Also I imagine he would see nothing suggestive whatsoever in his last line.

Edited by bright_ephemera
  • Like 1

Much happier waking up today. Great stories.

irishfino: Thirty minutes of intense parade rest. That is... genius. Its good to have friends that inspire you. I imagine Quinn having a lot of those crappy days after the incident. The Force is like Karma right? Right?

hoyden: BH is one of those classes I can't get into. I think its because I keep rolling them Powertech and finding out I don't like the play style. But I also have the issue that I don't know how I want them to be. They end up being pretty grey through Dromund Kaas. I like your Gault though. Everyone needs an old Mando whispering in their ear. Bravo.

Svein: Hah. ID10T error? Poor Ashara.

Kabe: Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Loved every minute reading that story. I agree that it should have been a conversation between Trooper and Jorgan. Once I picked the dark side option during the Senate questing to see what Aric did. It was hilarious but I felt too guilty to go through with it. That kind of clearing the air really should have been in game at that point.

Bright_: Love your stuff. I'm really excited about playing my SI and meeting her companions because they are honestly the only ones I know nothing about in game. Talos seems adorkable. Sometimes I want to write about characters other than Ipha or Brei, even though they are the same classes. Just, a different path, a different personality. I like your characters, they're very real.

Two alternate histories that make for non-depressing Turning Points, I think.

First my original Sith Warrior (um, at least, he was my first until the end of Balmorra and the discovery of a certain companion recruitment, at which point I shelved him for six months…) Mellekor! I dug it out to contribute something positive to the week. Spoiler-free, 1000 words.

He is intriguing! I know you said you haven't written a story about him, but gosh darn it, even in this little snippet, you managed to create a complex and fascinating character. I would personally love to see you write a darker leaning character as the main protagonist, in whatever form that may take. Lovely work. Niselle was also very nice, good to see her again.

• Like 1

Prompt: Worst day ever

Title: Kirya’s Worst Day

Characters: Kirya (smuggler-to-be) and Rixik (already mercenary but not BH)

So here’s the reason I suggested the prompt for this week. I set these up as a pair; the same event from two perspectives, Rashomon-style. I don’t think they came out as well as I wanted. I’m not as good at showing the emotions for my characters. Kirya’s stories tend to be light-hearted; this one definitely is not.

No spoilers. Kirya is 17 here, Rixik 26. Takes place well before class stories start, 8 years or so.

Author note (contains smuggler spoilers):

I decided on the relationship between these characters for my Legacy, well before I did much with the smuggler storyline. So I didn’t know how close it paralleled the Darmas plot.

Kirya leaned back from the terminal, her stomach churning. Just one message. Four sentences. Must have been sent to her by mistake.

“Batch sold but for less than you wanted. Try some general laborers next time. Credits already deposited in your account, minus my commission as usual. Pleasure doing business with you, Rixik. D. Leegstra”

Leegstra was a slave broker, and not a reputable one. However much she hated her father and his business, he never dealt with Leegstra. Said, in fact, that Leegstra was the kind of slaver everyone hated.

She’d just helped Jesp free eight slaves from another broker, all eight of them trained as household servants. Jesp told her contacts on Alderaan and Coruscant would help them get real jobs there. And now he was getting sales reports from Leegstra.

It didn’t take a genius to figure out she’d been duped. For months. She couldn’t even cry yet. She’d sliced into the accounting records, the transfer records, even broke into a couple encrypted files and it was all there. Not a single one of the slaves she’d helped rescue had gone on to freedom. They’d all been sold. Poached. Rebranded, laundered, resold into servitude. Including the six she’d helped him take from her father. Wedding present, he’d joked.

How could she have been so stupid?

Kirya stared at the ceiling of the apartment they shared. The fact that he’d lied was bad enough, but the way he did it. Smiled and kissed her and said he loved her, that she was making a difference, just like she dreamed. Instead it was a nightmare. She wanted to wake up and find that her Jesp Rixik really was the charming, friendly man who hated the rampant enslavement of her species as much as she did. But this was waking up from the dream. And it felt horrible.

Maybe…maybe there was an explanation. Maybe this was just paperwork to cover the thefts. The thought made her stomach churn worse. Even as the explanation occurred to her she knew it was a delusion. Regardless, she wanted to hear it from him. From those lips that kissed her said he loved her.

Kirya rubbed dry eyes and called Jesp’s holofrequency. He answered on the third chime, “Hey, babe, kinda busy here, can I call you back?”

“We need to talk, Jesp.”

“Right in the middle of something. We can talk later, hmm?”

“We can talk now,” Kirya said, her voice lowering.

“Doll, it’s really a bad time. I promise I’ll call as soon as I’m done here. Love you—“ he moved to break the connection.

“It’s about Leegstra.”

Rixik stopped. That little pause, that momentary hesitation and Kirya knew. Everything he’d ever told her was a lie. And that his next words would be lies like all the rest. “Is that all? I’ve gotten some very solid leads—“

“He sold for you, Jesp!” Kirya cried.

“Listen, Kirya love, let me call you back. Straighten everything out, mesh’la-mesh’la.

Don’t you dare call me that!” Kirya yelled. Her eyes were burning. There were the tears, finally. Jesp’s blue holographic image swam in her vision.

“We’ll talk later,” he said, and cut the call.

Kirya stared at the empty terminal. “You did not just hang up on me,” she hissed. Tears ran down her cheeks. She punched in his frequency again. He was not getting out of this. No answer; the service disconnected her call. She tried again, same result. Tears flowed more, furious now. She stared daggers at the terminal, willing him to answer her holo. As though her unspoken demand forced the issue, he picked up the third call.

“Babe, you picked a lousy time,” he said. He sounded out of breath. The holo was distorted and wavery. She could hear blaster fire in the background.

“You sold those people! You said we—that I freed them and then you sold them! How could you do that? How could you lie to me like that? About everything?” It all poured out like wine from an upended bottle.

Again, that slight hesitation. The pause before another lie, “Why in the galaxy would you think that, love?” He glanced left, fired a shot. Something cried, unseen off the feed.

“I saw the accounts Jesp! The records! Every last one of them, sold. Even—“ Kirya sniffed, “even the ones from Dad. All the way back then. You lied to me from the very start.”

Looking at the image, Kirya saw his mask fall away. Something in his stance, his face, she couldn’t pin it down, but it was like taking the pretty clothes off of a little girl’s dress-up doll and seeing the ugly, cheap plastic body beneath. This was the real Jesp Rixik, and he’d always been there, lurking under all the pretty words. “Oh, so now you’re worried about Daddy. He had good security, doll. It was so much easier to get you to lead me through it than to break in from the outside.”

“How could you!” she yelled at the distant image.

“Me? You hated him so much you jumped at the chance,” that little lascivious grin, “not all you jumped at, either.”

“How dare you—“

“Oh, dare what? State the obvious? It wasn’t hard to hook you. Told you the story you wanted to hear and you were on good. After? Well, you were a decent slicer, a decent accomplice—“

“You used me—“

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Big deal. You wanted to be fooled. You really think I could keep a con like that going for so long without some help on your end?”

Kirya stared at the image. He was wrong. Had to be wrong. There had to be some truth in his story, somewhere in his words to her. Something she’d known was true, leading her to believe all the rest, “Was it all a lie? Everything? Being born a slave? Seeing your family sold off? The man who freed you? Wanting to pay back his kindness?” Kirya sniffed, trying to check the tears threatening to blur the holo, “Loving me?”

Pause. Composing his tale. Bastard. “I lie to everyone, doll, what makes you think you’re special?” he answered.

Kirya slashed her hand through the hologram, disrupting it, “You bastard son of a Hutt, Jesp Rixik!” she shrieked. One fist came down on the disconnect button and the holo cut off.

She stared at the dead holoterminal. “You want lies, Jesp Rixik? Let’s have some lies, then,” she muttered. Two steps to the datacenter and she pulled up his record. Jesp was supposed to be on Kuat, a staunch Republic world. Let’s see how long he lasts with a few choice alerts to Republic security. Kirya settled in and began work.

The holoterminal alerted her to an incoming call. She ignored it. It chimed again, this time with an urgent tag. From guess who. Kirya sun around and opened the channel.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Rixik snarled.

Aww, poor baby, “Fixing things,” she said sweetly, “you taught me everything I know about slicing, dear.”

“You stay the hell out of that record, b*tch!”

“What happened to ‘mesh’la-mesh’la’? Don’t you love me anymore?”

“Kirya, I’m warning you—“

“Oh, wait, is that another lie I hear? Bye-bye, Jesp.” She leaned forward to end the call.

“Do not cut this—“ he began, but the signal ended and the holo dissolved.

Kirya sat back, smiling. No, wait, the accounts! He’d weasel his way offworld unless she cut off his access. Back to the datacenter. Looks like he was already trying. She transferred most of it but couldn’t quite beat him. Still, she got the rancor’s share. He barely had enough for a cross-town speeder. So much for profiting on the misery of other people, slimeball.

She went through the apartment in a flurry and cleared out all of his crap. Threw it out or put up for auction on the GTN. Everything from his pazaak cards to his clothes. Everything. All of it. All of it gone. Out of her life, forever. Then she lay down on the sofa in the bleak little apartment and wept until there was nothing else left. She felt hollow. Washed out. Empty.

She didn’t move as the pale sunlight outside swapped for the nighttime lights of the city. Or when the windows brightened again with day. And it was only then that she realized she’d forgotten to take care of the most important thing.

She hadn’t dissolved their marriage.

Title: Rixik’s Worst Day

Characters: Rixik (already mercenary but not BH) and Kirya (smuggler-to-be)

Here’s the other half of the pair. To be fair, Rixik has a whole host of “worst day” stories, but I wanted to show the one opposite Kirya’s.

Same caveats. No spoilers.

“We think you’ll take a 5% commission and be happy with it, Twi’lek,” said the Human.

Rixik settled into the seat, “Liese, really? 5%? You mark up more than quad and we both know it. Stop trying to stiff me.” Liese was dangerous game; his suit and pet goons just screamed Exchange, even though Kuat was officially Hutt Syndicate. ‘Officially’ meaning just that the Hutts got here first.

Liese leaned forward and steepled his slender fingers, “My markup is my concern, Rixik. I can call up six other guys who’d be thrilled to deal with me for half that. But you say you know people. You say you’ve got connections. You’ve shown me a little so I’m willing to give you preference,” Liese cocked one eyebrow, “for now.”

Jerk. Dangerous jerk. “Let me contact my people, see if we can work a deal,” Rixik said, pulling out a portable holotransmitter. Which chimed immediately. Kirya. Damn. “Give me a minute, Liese,”

Liese waved him off with a snort and Rixik retreated to the side of the room, away from the goons and Liese’s lieutenants. “Hey, babe, kinda busy here, can I call you back?”

“We need to talk, Jesp,” she said. Double damn, she was upset. He could hear it in her voice.

“Right in the middle of something, we can talk later, hmm?”

“We can talk now.”

Smooth it over, deal with it later. “Doll, it’s really a bad time. I promise I’ll call as soon as I’m done here. Love you—“ he moved to break the connection.

“It’s about Leegstra.”

Oh sh*t. And she couldn’t have picked a worse time to drop that name. Just get her off the frequency before she could do more damage, “Is that all? I’ve gotten some very solid leads—“

“He sold for you, Jesp!” Kirya cried.

Thank you so very much, Kirya, could you possibly say that a little louder? Calm, calm, keep her on the hook just a little longer, “Listen, Kirya love,” he said, “Let me call you back. Straighten everything out, mesh’la-mesh’la.”

Don’t you dare call me that!” Kirya yelled.

Not good. “We’ll talk later,” he said, and cut the call. Rixik turned back to Liese and his pair of backup muscle and knew everything was unraveling.

“Trouble at home, Rixik?” Liese asked.

“No, no trouble.”

“What’s this about Leegstra? He’s Hutt Cartel, isn’t he, Stille?” Liese asked, nodding at lieutenant #1.

“Hutt Cartel, yeah Boss,” Stille answered.

“So, you’re dealing with the Hutts too?”

So much for that. The deal had officially gone straight down the waste reclaimation chute. No way he’d make it through the corridors with Liese’s goons shooting at him. Full-length window here was only three floors off the ground, Kuati liked their buildings short. Plain, cheap polysilicate. Rixik edged that direction, “Come on, Liese, Leegstra’s not even in your line of business.”

Liese stood, “Sounds like you’re double-crossing me, Twi’lek.”

Time to go before the situation deteriorated further. Rixik whipped out a blaster and fired at Liese. He went down—far from permanent but enough to keep him from giving orders. His second shot hit the polysilicate window. The superheated plasma reacted with the material and it consumed itself. The hot edge rapidly retreated from the impact site. Rixik vaulted through the ever-widening hole. More blaster fire followed him. An alarm sounded and fire-suppression aerosol sprayed into the room.

There was no balcony, only a narrow shelf barely wide enough for his feet and a waist-high rail. Rixik caught it and swung down to the next floor. One goon appeared in the window above, blue and chattering from the endothermic spray. Fired down at Rixik. At least one shot hit the window beside him, melting it in spectacular fashion and setting off another alarm. In the distance, Rixik heard the wail of approaching authority. He’d no intention of sticking around for them, whether law enforcement or just fire patrol.

He dropped to the ground and rolled though the impact still sent needles up his legs. Took off down the alley. He passed a service entrance only seconds before it slammed open. More goons. Either Liese recovered or one of the lieutenants was in charge now. Rixik dodged the trash in the alley and slipped around the corner. Heard the chime of his holotransmitter.

Like he was really going to answer that now.

Peeking around the corner, he saw the goons. Pair. Huh, Nikto, interesting. No real time to contemplate it. He shot at one and he fell. The other took cover. Rixik retreated randomly into the backstreets, but the Nikto was persistent. Couldn’t shake him. Rixik ducked behind some wrecked machinery, hoping to let his pursuer pass him by. Would have worked if the damn holotransmitter hadn’t picked right then to chime. The Nikto turned and fired; Rixik returned the favor and pinned him down. The goon kept shooting, but nothing penetrated the hulk.

Rixik dug out the transmitter. Kirya. No surprise there. She’d keep calling until he answered, and he didn’t want to toss the holo. Had a funny feeling he was going to need it. Maybe he’d be able to salvage something on that end. He fired another blast to keep the Nikto locked down and opened the channel. “Babe, you picked a lousy time,” he said.

“You sold those people! You said we—that I freed them and then you sold them! How could you do that? How could you lie to me like that? About everything?”

She’d been crying. Sh*t. And always with the slaves with her, she was obsessed. Well, here goes nothing, “Why in the galaxy would you think that, love?” He heard footsteps approaching, shot the Nikto goon just as he cleared Rixik’s cover. The goon screeched and hit the ground hard. Bit of breathing room.

“I saw the accounts Jesp! The records! Every last one of them, sold. Even—“ Kirya sniffed, “even the ones from Dad. All the way back then. You lied to me from the very start.”

Nope, it was done. No point keeping up the pretense anymore, “Oh, so now you’re worried about Daddy. He had good security, doll. It was so much easier to get you to lead me through it than to break in from the outside.”

“How could you!” she yelled at the distant image.

You were an easy mark? A know-it-all kid, unhappy at home, wanting so much to be a grown-up? “Me? You hated him so much you jumped at the chance,” he gave her that little grin, the one that always made her blush, “not all you jumped at, either.”

“How dare you—“

“Oh, dare what? State the obvious? It wasn’t hard to hook you. Told you the story you wanted to hear and you were on good. After? Well, you were a decent slicer, a decent accomplice—“

“You used me—“

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Big deal. You wanted to be fooled. You really think I could keep a con like that going for so long without some help on your end?” Kirya’s deception had gone on longer than he’d expected or intended. Suppose she had to wise up sooner or later. He just wished it had been a little bit later.

A blue wavery Kirya stared back at him, “Was it all a lie? Everything? Being born a slave? Seeing your family sold off? The man who freed you? Wanting to pay back his kindness?” she sniffed, “Loving me?”

The most believable tale had a bit of truth underneath the embellishment. Rixik’s earliest childhood memory was sifting spice out of mine tailings with fifty or so other kids. As far as he was concerned, he had no family. The only person looking out for Rixik was Rixik, and he was perfectly fine that way.

Kirya? Kirya was just another con. “I lie to everyone, doll, what makes you think you’re special?” he answered.

Kirya slashed her hand through the hologram, disrupting it, “You bastard son of a Hutt, Jesp Rixik!” she shrieked. The feed stopped. She’d cut it on her end.

Rixik pocketed the holo. Two schemes—one of them a marriage—unraveling in the same hour. New record. Best bet was to hit a public terminal and clear out his accounts. Kirya was probably busy chucking all of his stuff into the gutter right now. Or, knowing her, donating it to one of those charity groups she liked so much. Book passage off this crummy planet to…well, anywhere was better than here right now with Liese’s people on the lookout for him.

He was almost on a main street when his minicomp alert sounded. The monitor. Someone was accessing his record. Not accessing. Slicing. His heart skipped a beat. Kirya. Damn woman was messing with his record. She wasn’t good enough to really mess it up too much but—

A second alarm. Republic security monitor. She was sending alerts to Republic security. He growled a curse, grabbed the holotransmitter and tried to call her. No answer. Figures. Sent again, urgent. “What do you think you’re doing?” Rixik snarled when she finally picked up.

“Fixing things,” she said sweetly, “you taught me everything I know about slicing, dear.”

“You stay the hell out of that record, b*tch!” You have no idea what it cost. More than credits.

“What happened to ‘mesh’la-mesh’la’? Don’t you love me anymore?”

“Kirya, I’m warning you—“

“Oh, wait, is that another lie I hear? Bye-bye, Jesp.” She leaned forward.

“Do not cut this—“ he began, but the signal ended and the holo dissolved.

Rixik stared at the empty holo for a moment. Then shook himself. Terminal. Public terminal. It was only a matter of time before she tried to dump his accounts. Assuming she hadn’t already done it. He sprinted for a terminal, shouldered aside the lanky teen meandering toward it.

Fast, fast. Logged in. Credits still there. Starting the transfer, but the protocols only allowed small amounts from non-designated terminals. Stupid security precautions. And she was in it soon enough. He raced to drain it but only got a fraction of the total.

Balance:zero.

Rixik logged out of the system then punched the computer. His fist shattered the plastic and sparks flew from the electronics below. A wispy tendril of smoke rose into the air. Blood welled up from shallow cuts on his hand, but he didn’t care.

He backed away from the ruined terminal, acutely aware of eyes on him. Blend. Don’t be noticed. He turned and walked away at a leisurely pace, as though nothing was wrong.

Several streets later, no longer surrounded by the people who’d seen his outburst, he took a seat on a public bench and checked out the damages. Next to no credits. Several system-wide alerts on Republic security. And a couple others, Republic-General. Damn, she’d been thorough. So much for booking commercial passage, even if he’d been able to pay for it. Oh yeah, and Brennan Liese, local Exchange stooge, was probably combing the city looking for him.

Rixik slipped the microcomp back in his pocket and leaned back against the bench. Hell of a day.

All right, first order of business, getting off this dirtball. The traffic controllers logged all departures publicly, even the automated ones, so private pilots could plan accordingly. That’s what he wanted, one of the droid-piloted ones. He perused the list. There they were. Looks like Kuat Drive Systems had auto-barges lifting off every few hours, ferrying supplies to their orbital construction facilities. Not ideal, but he didn’t have many options.

One thing at a time. For now, he headed for the industrial side of the port.

Title: Kirya’s Worst Day

Title: Rixik’s Worst Day

Poor Kirya! I have a soft spot for very young women getting in over their heads :(

And I like the contrast in thought processes. The matter-of-fact statements from Rixik are just brutal once you have the other side in mind. "Suppose she had to wise up sooner or later. He just wished it had been a little bit later" and "Two schemes—one of them a marriage—unraveling in the same hour. New record." jumped out at me.

Excellent, excellent story pair.

Worst Day Ever

Lord Vizloch

Lord Vizloch found herself in a dirty, dusty little corner of Hutt space. She strode along the corridor, barely contained wrath rolling off her in waves. The medcentre was tiny; a pathetic example of the Empire's might and yet she had been called to it, on apparent urgent business. She greeted the doctor with unrestrained disdain. He bowed with practised formality and introduced himself.

"My sincerest apologies, my Lord, for bringing you here under such secretive circumstances," Dr. P- gestured and opened the door with a flourish. Lord Vizloch stepped into the intensive care room, tentatively reaching out with the Force. "We thought it best to keep the details close. I am sure a mighty Sith Lord as yourself would understand the need for-"

Lord Vizloch whirled on him, her eyes a flash with rage. Dr. P- was thrust and pinned against the wall, the air being crushed from his lungs.

"You snivelling, wretched little man. What have you done to my son?" With one hand clenched tightly around the skirt of her coat, Lord Vizloch pointed at the single bed in the room. There, hidden amidst various wires, tubing and beeping machines lay her youngest child.

"We have done... our best..." Dr. P- gasped and clawed at his clothing, trying in vain to release her hold on him.

"Get him into a kolto tank immediately." She pressed the man closer to the wall, delighting in the colours he was turning, anything to keep her mind from the fate of her son.

"Of course... my Lord," Dr. P- panted and banged twice on the wall. Lord Vizloch released him, putting one hand on her lightsabre as various staff started to flood the room. "Please, my Lord, understand," Dr. P- sat slumped against the wall, sucking in air like a dying fish. "We only just... got the notice."

"What notice?" Dr. P- waved his hands around, shooing his team away from him and to the young man lying on the bed. "What. Notice." The air around Lord Vizloch crackled and shimmered. The last of her patience was wearing thin. No one ignored a Sith.

"A DNR," He stood slowly, scr*ped his arms against the wall for support. "It arrived just before you did, my Lord, we were just waiting-"

"To kill my son?" She picked him up again, throwing him fully against the wall. An audible crack filled the room. The medical staff milled around the bed, checking vitals and going over notes.

"Please, my Lord!" The good doctor threw up his hands, pleading and begging. "It was your husband! Your husband! He sent the notice, he told us not to!" She let him drop to the ground again and turned to his team.

"The entirety of the Windthorpe estate is at your disposal. Save my son and I will see you are suitably rewarded." Lord Vizloch left the room, taking the chaos of her barely controlled emotions with her. She sat in the waiting room some long hours, emptying her husband's accounts and sending vicious letters to his many mistresses. She could do the threats in person one day, perhaps. She considered the possibilities another moment and then contacted her newest apprentice. Strong, but not terribly bright, the girl would make a wonderful assassin for Grigor's favourite Alderaanian consort.

"My Lord?" A little twi'lek girl appeared, offering a cup of tea and an appropriately subservient air. Lord Vizloch set her various data-pads aside and took the cup.

"What word of my son?" She smiled at the girl, who shivered and suppressed a shriek. The girl nodded hurriedly, the dot markings on her skin leaving bizarre traces in the air.

"He... I overheard the doctor people... he needs lots of the... things." She pointed to the metal plate stamped along her eyebrow.

"I see," Lord Vizloch took a sip of her tea and found in strangely to her liking. "Dismissed." The little twi'lek rushed off and quickly disappeared, leaving her alone once more. She sipped at her tea and waited, wondering.

Bad day for everyone around, I think. I hope that was alright, I'm trying to get the balance between motherly Sylvia and hate-fueled Lord Vizloch. Not sure I got it quite right.

Edited by Tatile

Worst Day Ever

Lord Vizloch

Bad day for everyone around, I think. I hope that was alright, I'm trying to get the balance between motherly Sylvia and hate-fueled Lord Vizloch. Not sure I got it quite right.

I think you got furious mama bear just right. A mother protecting her young is never sweet, or "motherly", it's very hate-fueled, it's probably the closest we'll get to a Sith Lord outside the SW universe as far as pure rage is concerned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.