PVE tank build

badjedi

This is my first time playing a tank and I am currently specked in the immortal tree, Immortal for doing HM & operations and have been unhappy with the amount of threat I have. After rotating my taunts, usually one of the DPS's will steel aggro from me, so I have been toying with the idea of going to a vengeance based build to get some more dps to help alleviate this problem. How well do you think this build will work, Vengance? Or should I not go that far into Vengeance, Immortal hybrid? Also how long should I be waiting between taunts on the bosses to maitain aggro throughout the fight?

After rotating my taunts, usually one of the DPS's will steel aggro from me

Welcome to the wacky world of juggernaut tanking. As the dps guys get more and more geared up, threat they generate will rise.The more you get geared, your survivability gets better but nothing makes your ability to generate threat better.

You could try immortal/vengeance hybrid to see how it works for you, I didn't personally like it. Rage starved all the time and I didn't feel I generated more threat than in full immortal. If 1.3 doesn't do something to threat generation my jug is going to get locked up in the closet.

if you use force push, and force charge, they both provide decent amounts of threat. and there is a high tree ability that increases the amount of threat put out by force push. also remember to guard the main damage dealer, because guarding them decreases the amount of threat they generate.

Welcome to the wacky world of juggernaut tanking. As the dps guys get more and more geared up, threat they generate will rise.The more you get geared, your survivability gets better but nothing makes your ability to generate threat better.

You could try immortal/vengeance hybrid to see how it works for you, I didn't personally like it. Rage starved all the time and I didn't feel I generated more threat than in full immortal. If 1.3 doesn't do something to threat generation my jug is going to get locked up in the closet.

Juggernaut threat output is being looked at and reworked in 1.3 i believe.

Okay so most of these people don't know what they're talking about. I run a 31/7/3 spread. You can mix up the 3 for whatever you please.

Generic Rotation: Saber Throw===>Charge==>Taunt (Whilst Charging)===>Sundering Assault===>Crushing Blow===>Retaliation===>Smash===>Sundering Assault===>Crushing Blow.

Obviously use retaliation, backhand, and vengeance whenever you can or applicable. Vicious Slash is for resource burn when you have idle rage just sitting there.

Generally when working with bad DPS that don't know their rotations (This is usually melee DPS) ride your taunts so you taunt and wait the 6 seconds then wait a second or two. Use the AoE taunt (threatening scream) and wait that 6 seconds and then use your taunt again after it comes off cool down. If you toss in a backhand and keep up the general rotation you generally won't have any problems.

Unless you have bad melee DPS that don't know their own rotation. Also I'd suggest guarding the DPS you have most trouble with.

If you provided the specific boss fight you're having difficulties with I could better help you.

Previous poster => I think you use taunt way to soon, throw->Charge-> burst with Crushing, Backhand and Ravage THEN taunt to boost your threat by 30%, I think it will make your day. The way you do it you basicly gain no threat if you use taunt after low-damage rage-builders.

GL.

Previous poster => I think you use taunt way to soon, throw->Charge-> burst with Crushing, Backhand and Ravage THEN taunt to boost your threat by 30%, I think it will make your day. The way you do it you basicly gain no threat if you use taunt after low-damage rage-builders.

GL.

I guess that's why I'm a starting tank for the US 8th guild. Thanks for your input. (I hope my sarcasm wasn't lost on you).

Of course if you played Denova HM you'd know about tank switching for boss fights where you should use your taunt to perform the switch.

It's not like I mentioned earlier that it was a generic rotation for a boss fight and since I only do Denova HM that it wouldn't make sense that I'd give a Denova rotation. I also like how I asked for the specific boss fight or operation so I could better give him information.

Edited by VexedLucifer

Okay so most of these people don't know what they're talking about. I run a 31/7/3 spread. You can mix up the 3 for whatever you please.

Generic Rotation: Saber Throw===>Charge==>Taunt (Whilst Charging)===>Sundering Assault===>Crushing Blow===>Retaliation===>Smash===>Sundering Assault===>Crushing Blow.

Obviously use retaliation, backhand, and vengeance whenever you can or applicable. Vicious Slash is for resource burn when you have idle rage just sitting there.

Generally when working with bad DPS that don't know their rotations (This is usually melee DPS) ride your taunts so you taunt and wait the 6 seconds then wait a second or two. Use the AoE taunt (threatening scream) and wait that 6 seconds and then use your taunt again after it comes off cool down. If you toss in a backhand and keep up the general rotation you generally won't have any problems.

Unless you have bad melee DPS that don't know their own rotation. Also I'd suggest guarding the DPS you have most trouble with.

If you provided the specific boss fight you're having difficulties with I could better help you.

For example, a couple of the main boss fights in the EV op, usually one of the sorcerers will pull agro off of me 3 or 4 times during the fight. I usually start off with this rotation: Saber Throw===>Charge==>Sundering Assault===>Force Scream===>Crushing Blow===>Retaliation===>Sundering Assault===>Backhand===>Sundering Assault===>Smash===>Crushing Blow and I usually save the taunts to get agro back on me when the dps steals it.

First make sure you're in tanking form. (Soresu's Form) and that you're guarding a DPS that is within 10 meters of you. In EV the only time a ranged will be on you is during Missile Salvos on the first boss (For the stack up and AoE heals, not sure if you do that) and on the first two phases on Soa (Provided you/the DPS does not have a lightning ball to absorb).

Secondly use your directional taunt early on, like I mentioned when jumping or after a crushing blow. Then when a DPS steals use your AoE taunt. By the time that runs off your directional taunt will be off CD and ready should you lose threat. However you can use it again to gain additional threat. You should be continuously going through your rotation of Sundering===>Crushing Blow===>Smash/Force Scream with a retaliation after it's off cooldown (I'm not listing the full rotation here for sake of clarity/time). Alternatively, after you've gained enough threat you can use your directional taunt when it's off cool down and you save the AoE taunt for emergencies. If you do this you will never lose threat after the first minute of a boss fight, unless you intentionally do it (Since EV requires only one tank on all difficulties).

Finally what does your gear look like, what's your health at (I'm just curious), and what are you speced as? (Recall I'm speced 31/7/3 with 24,046 health :) ).

I'd try using the directional taunt early on (whilst charging) and doing what I suggested after that. See how that works out. I never do EV anymore so the fights are a little fuzzy for me to remember specific tanking rotations since it's mostly instinct at this point.

Acceptance that you might be just too under-geared for your DPS's damage output. If you're sitting in Tionese and the DPS are in full Rakata you'll have a harder time holding threat just due to your gear difference.

I suggest maybe watching some Youtube videos of the boss fights you're having trouble with, although your problem seems more rotation and taunt timing related (hanging heavily that second one there).

Thanks for the advice. I think my lack of experience of playing a tank is part of my problem, so I will work on my rotation. I am spec at 32/7/2 with 18100 HP (without stim boost). I have a few pieces of columni, rakata earpice, and battlemaster gear. I am still grinding dailies to get the rakata implants and I am also working on crafting augmented gear so I can pull the columni mods outs and put them into the augment gear once they are crafted. Which type of augment would you recommend, defence or strength for added threat?

You should first work on replacing all your PvP gear with at least Columi. I'm not going to say not to work on augmented gear as it's important, but 1.3 is around the corner which will allow augments to anything of at least green quality.

For augments I generally do Shield Rating to boost up my shield chance. I did use an endurance one, but I know my tanking partner has the +18 power one in his mainhand. I'm at 49% chance to shield with a 50% absorb. Bioware is pushing the juggernaut class away from Defensive rating for shield rating. There's actually an enhancement that drops in EV that's +40 Endurance, +51 Shield Rating +32 Defense/Absorption (Not sure on the last stat).

Ultimately you want to look for your rakata gear to replace all your Columi, and you can collect your augmented gear as you go along with it (Since it's orange so there's no worry about replacing it).