"Thank you" messages

MidichIorian

Every now and then we will recieve one of those "thank you" messages after completing a mission and the attachments are manifesting that BW is totally oblivious when it comes to player economy.

Let me give you an example, after completing a mission on Voss, a lvl 45-47 mission, I'm recieving a mail containing 2200 credits. What's a lvl 47 going to do with 2200 credits? Hell, even 10 000 had been to push it.

Another mail contained a grade 2 companion gift. That would have been fine...if it hadnt been for the fact that I was on par with my level 45 missions. My guess here is that most level 45's have enough companion affection, across the board, for a grade 2 gift to be completely useless. Nor does it have a high monetary value.

So in conclusion, the mails are fine as lore, for those who are into that, but please include something that makes it worth the trouble of going to a mailbox for those of us who have played through the story a couple of times now.

Edited by MidichIorian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you have enough companion affect across the board at lvl 45? Unless you've been buying them gifts and making all the right descisions...

I'm 42 and I have maybe 1 companion at about 60%...

A bunch of gathering/mission skills give companion gifts. Looking at the players I usually play with and their presence bonuses I'd say that it's pretty common that people quickly max out affection. Regardless, feels kind of cheap to give a lvl 45 a grade 2 companion gift when there are 5 grades in the game and the player is near max level. Nor is it correlating with normal mob drops, drops that will give us 5 times the monetary value of a grade 2 gift.

Every now and then we will recieve one of those "thank you" messages after completing a mission and the attachments are manifesting that BW is totally oblivious when it comes to player economy.

Let me give you an example, after completing a mission on Voss, a lvl 45-47 mission, I'm recieving a mail containing 2200 credits. What's a lvl 47 going to do with 2200 credits? Hell, even 10 000 had been to push it.

Another mail contained a grade 2 companion gift. That would have been fine...if it hadnt been for the fact that I was on par with my level 45 missions. My guess here is that most level 45's have enough companion affection, across the board, for a grade 2 gift to be completely useless. Nor does it have a high monetary value.

So in conclusion, the mails are fine as lore, for those who are into that, but please include something that makes it worth the trouble of going to a mailbox for those of us who have played through the story a couple of times now.

The credit amount is a bit low, I'll agree; however, the companion gift is right on the mark. I recently leveled a gunslinger and did every quest except for the heroics and I ended with Corso at about 4k and Guss at maybe 1200. Grade 2 companion gifts would be fine at that point.

The problem is that rank 5 companion gifts are too easy to get. Several mission skills offer too many companion gift missions. As an example, very commonly since 1.2 - my Trooper's Underworld Trading will have 4 to 5 companion gift missions available. This actually ticks me off because I want metals missions, not gifts missions. With UT, Diplomacy and Investigation returning so many rank 5 gifts at 400 - is there any wonder that a grade 2 gift seems devalued?

What does affection give you, with your companion, exactly?

Does it just open up new dialogue choices, or what else does it do?

Affection progresses your companion's personal story / romance. It also makes them have a better crit chance and efficiency at crew skills.

Thanks Raeln:

So no real bonus then, other than story, and crafting?

If correct, that is another mistake on the devs.

They should have made it cause some sort of combat bonus, or some other thing to strengthen your character in some way. This way, the MMO people would have valued affection more.

What does affection give you, with your companion, exactly?

Does it just open up new dialogue choices, or what else does it do?

Aside from the already mentined stuff, the first time you gett each type of companion (melee tank, ranged tank, healer, melee DPS, ranged DPS) to 10.000 gives you also a permanent combat bunus! Also it increases the Presence stat on all of your charakters for each companion you brought to 10.000, which makes them quite powerful.

Edited by Drudenfusz

How do you have enough companion affect across the board at lvl 45? Unless you've been buying them gifts and making all the right descisions...

I'm 42 and I have maybe 1 companion at about 60%...

you can get your companions to about 7000 with the rank 2 gifts from the vendor costs about 40,000, i do this with just about all my characters right away so crafting is a little faster. also the companions you get later gain alot of affection quickly, my sage got Nadia Grell at about lvl 44 and by the time i was lvl 48 she was max affection.

but i agree with the OP i like the lore part of those mails you get after quests, but the only thing i can think of that i got and actually has some use was two level 16 prototype medpacks.

personaly i think this is just one of the many things BW overlooked.

Wow, complaining about getting free money? awesome.

its not that they are complaining about free money, its that it is annoying to go check your mail box and find 2000 credits when even things from vendors cost about 50 times that.

trolling the forums and reading into everythng? awesome.

I treat any mail-gifts as purely RP items; I know random NPCs aren't going to be able to afford sending me thousands of credits or a free mount.

On the flip side, my post-marriage emails from Mako were so sweet <3 <3 <3 <3

its not that they are complaining about free money, its that it is annoying to go check your mail box and find 2000 credits when even things from vendors cost about 50 times that.

trolling the forums and reading into everythng? awesome.

Seriously??? Were you damaged or harmed by opening the email and accepting the credits? Does checking your mail really put you out?

Did you or your character suffer?

Unbelievable.

I treat any mail-gifts as purely RP items; I know random NPCs aren't going to be able to afford sending me thousands of credits or a free mount.

On the flip side, my post-marriage emails from Mako were so sweet <3 <3 <3 <3

well i dont think the OP is talking about getting thousands of credits and mounts from npcs (atleast i hope not lol) i would like to get something useful though, instead of the couple hundered credits or a low rank companion gift some medpacks or stims would be of more use.

well i dont think the OP is talking about getting thousands of credits and mounts from npcs (atleast i hope not lol) i would like to get something useful though, instead of the couple hundered credits or a low rank companion gift some medpacks or stims would be of more use.

Then make a post in the Suggestions Forums. To come here and complain that opening email for free money is too much hassle and too much work ....is just moronic.

Seriously? "Oh my god, I only got 2000 credits from an NPC in the mail. On top of the thousands I got for completing the mission. And the quest reward item for completing that mission. And the thousands for looting the mobs for their credits and items. Clearly, Bioware doesn't know what they're doing!"

We have officially hit a new low in "Things To Complain About This Game."

Edited by Kharnis

Seriously??? Were you damaged or harmed by opening the email and accepting the credits? Does checking your mail really put you out?

Did you or your character suffer?

Unbelievable.

no i did not get "hurt" but it is a waste of my time and BW is freakin lucky i choose to waste some of my free time on this craptastic game of which they cant even figure out how to loop the music... were you damaged? do you not realize that everyone is entitled to an opinion and that opinion does not have to be the same as yours?

No...Sadly the OP's opinion is what is truly wrong with society today. Its a Giftand instead of being grateful...for a gift.doesn't accept it, in the spirit for which it is meant. We as human beings are in such dire straights.