The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sorcerer Static Barrier Help?

TomC

I know Sorcs have Static Barrier that when talented can root you but I am curious what cool downs or items or stats can radically increase the bubble's durability? There are a few Sorcs who can get me to half health before Static Barrier even drops. This isn't super common but I am curious what they are doing differently than other Sorcs. Anyone know what build or items produces an incredibly sturdy Static Barrier?

I know Sorcs have Static Barrier that when talented can root you but I am curious what cool downs or items or stats can radically increase the bubble's durability? There are a few Sorcs who can get me to half health before Static Barrier even drops. This isn't super common but I am curious what they are doing differently than other Sorcs. Anyone know what build or items produces an incredibly sturdy Static Barrier?

We dont exactly know how our bubble scales.

Some people claim it scales with forcepower/power but tests have shown that if its true it scales in a VERY TINY coeficient.

Other people claim it scales with HP, but its also unproven as of yet.

We dont know if the bubble crits, we really dont know anything about it.

But yeah it seems it absorbs 3-3.5k in a 50 sorc.

Does War Hero gear buff it somehow? or is it just a matter of the Expertise increasing the amount of damage I have to do to end up doing 3500? It is one or two Sorcs that just seem to live in that damn ball.

are you sure he didn't cast a second bubble? If he already has one up and the CD is free, he can potentially cast 2 full bubbles w/o it ever appearing to go away.

FML! Probably.

Interesting chart from a torhead comment.

Healing Bonus __ No talents _ Lightning Barrier

100 __________ 1488.94 ___ 1786.728

150 __________ 1652.44 ___ 1982.928

200 __________ 1815.94 ___ 2179.128

250 __________ 1979.44 ___ 2375.328

300 __________ 2142.94 ___ 2571.528

350 __________ 2306.44 ___ 2767.728

400 __________ 2469.94 ___ 2963.928

450 __________ 2633.44 ___ 3160.128

500 __________ 2796.94 ___ 3356.328

550 __________ 2960.44 ___ 3552.528

600 __________ 3123.94 ___ 3748.728

650 __________ 3287.44 ___ 3944.928

700 __________ 3450.94 ___ 4141.128

Edited by TomC

are you sure he didn't cast a second bubble? If he already has one up and the CD is free, he can potentially cast 2 full bubbles w/o it ever appearing to go away.

This is probably what happened. Most Sorcs will put up a Bubble right out of the gate since it lasts 30 seconds and the debuff is only 20 (17 with BM set bonus). This means that if you engage or are engaged by a Sorc who prepared, he should be ready to recast the Bubble as soon as you break the current one.

This wasn't Meant to be a nerf thread but the thought of 8000 post expertise damage before I can touch a life bar makes me want to QQ.

Just keep in mind that the double bubble requires specific timing and even with that kind of mitigation, the Sorc is still the squishiest class in the game right now. Just camp his face and he will go down.

Just keep in mind that the double bubble requires specific timing and even with that kind of mitigation, the Sorc is still the squishiest class in the game right now. Just camp his face and he will go down.

I think it is mostly them out gearing me. I think they are in almost full War Hero while I still have some Recruit gear to replace with BM.

This wasn't Meant to be a nerf thread but the thought of 8000 post expertise damage before I can touch a life bar makes me want to QQ.

While true- that's only if you hit them when it's up and at the end of their CD- which is common enough to happen a few times a match for a sorc- but not common enough to be the norm (it'd be like dealing a rail shot, thermal, rocket punch, rail shot to deal 14k damage in five seconds- not common that they'd all crit, but it can happen a few times a match).

Also remember- sorcs have zero abilities when it comes to increasing mitigation, defensive CDs, escapes that can't be countered, CC avoidance/reduction. The bubble is the closest thing to a defensive CD (and even then is on the GCD unlike many defensives).

Once you do get the bubble down- with the lowest mitigation and defensive CDs in the game, the sorc goes down way faster than any other class- add to that their healing is far less ineffectual while moving than an ops, and they have no way to interrupt resist like a merc- and they're sitting ducks. For a class that clearly relies on movement as their only means of survival- they have a depressingly little amount of things they can do offensively or defensively while moving... the bubble is pretty much a sorc's best heal/survival ability while moving or being hit by someone who can interrupt- it's actually the only heal/survival ability in such a situation for anyone who's not corruption.

Also remember- sorcs have zero abilities when it comes to increasing mitigation, defensive CDs, escapes that can't be countered, CC avoidance/reduction. The bubble is the closest thing to a defensive CD (and even then is on the GCD unlike many defensives).

Thats not true to a very melee heavy class. They have two roots, snares and force speed. I don't think they need a nerf but don't pretend they don't have a lot of tools and a lot of damage vs Guardians.

Thats not true to a very melee heavy class. They have two roots, snares and force speed. I don't think they need a nerf but don't pretend they don't have a lot of tools and a lot of damage vs Guardians.

1 Root with talents (no baseline root), 1 50% 6 sec snare on 12 CD, 1 channeled snare (meaning they are "rooted" while using it), and force speed is offset by leap (plus leap has half the CD length of speed)

1 Root with talents (no baseline root), 1 50% 6 sec snare on 12 CD, 1 channeled snare (meaning they are "rooted" while using it), and force speed is offset by leap (plus leap has half the CD length of speed)

Can't you get the bubble pop blind and the knockback root in the same spec? Those are pretty common in PvP and pretty horrible for Guardians. Like I said though with the few tough Sorcs it is mostly a gear issue.

Can't you get the bubble pop blind and the knockback root in the same spec? Those are pretty common in PvP and pretty horrible for Guardians. Like I said though with the few tough Sorcs it is mostly a gear issue.

Those are both in the Lightning Tree and require a decent point allocation to obtain (18 points in Lightning to get the 100% bubble blind). Unfortunately, Lightning is also very meh at the moment so most Sorcs are running hybrid builds that split the points (meaning DPS/HPS loss for increased utility).

Edited by Darth_Philar

Those are both in the Lightning Tree and require a decent point allocation to obtain (18 points in Lightning to get the 100% bubble blind). Unfortunately, Lightning is also very meh at the moment so most Sorcs are running hybrid builds that split the points (meaning DPS/HPS loss for increased utility).

^ This.

Personally, I'm running a 0/18/23 hybrid spec for PvP. I have my 20% SB buff, I have my Overload root, I have CD reduction on WW and increased lockout time on Jolt, I have my SB flash-bang, I have a CC reduction on Electrocute, and I have WW reduced to an insta-cast.

However, with all that CC and utility for survival, overall damage output is significantly reduced. If I have a 400k damage game in a WZ, it's a damn good game for me... which imo, is sad.

LOL...its not like there aren't plenty of classes that has something similar or larger.