You know, I really don't think....

Velaran

.... Saber-locks make any sense whatsoever.

Sure, from a storytelling perspective, they're brilliant. An awesome, visual way to boil down the conflict between two characters. But from an actual battle standpoint?

The average lightsaber has no hiltguard. The weapon is an extended loop of pure energy that can cut through nearly anything. Anyone, anywhere, should realise that if you just swipe your blade down towards your opponents hand, you can slice off all of their fingers, and probably destroy their weapon.

Let's not even talk about someone blade-locking with two lightsabers at the same time. (I'm looking at you Clone Starkiller.)

Saber-locking is the same as clashing swords. Swordplay and Lightsaberplay are the same. You could go for the hands, but your opponent would most likely block. Thus, when one person blocks an opponents attack, you get a saber lock.

.... Saber-locks make any sense whatsoever.

Sure, from a storytelling perspective, they're brilliant. An awesome, visual way to boil down the conflict between two characters. But from an actual battle standpoint?

The average lightsaber has no hiltguard. The weapon is an extended loop of pure energy that can cut through nearly anything. Anyone, anywhere, should realise that if you just swipe your blade down towards your opponents hand, you can slice off all of their fingers, and probably destroy their weapon.

Let's not even talk about someone blade-locking with two lightsabers at the same time. (I'm looking at you Clone Starkiller.)

One of the first things a swordsman learns is how to divert the blade of his opponent around if they try the "blade slide" technique you described.

Oh, and Kao Cen Darach also double blade locked with Malgus and Vindican during their fight. But then, he had BAMF etched into his Lightsaber hilt.

One of the first things a swordsman learns is how to divert the blade of his opponent around if they try the "blade slide" technique you described.

Oh, and Kao Cen Darach also double blade locked with Malgus and Vindican during their fight. But then, he had BAMF etched into his Lightsaber hilt.

1. Still seems unlikely to me.

2. I don't mean using two sabers to block two other sabers, I mean using two sabers to block one saber.

Actual blocking's hard as hell to being with. You'd have to be a god among men to stop a sword swipe in it's tracks without having your own sword come towards you to some degree. At best, the dull end just gives you a nasty bruise on your leg. At worse, you get bopped in the face and it's all down hill from there.

Saber locking could work if one opponent was pushing straight down into another. And while a smart fighter can and will slide down the sword to go for your hand, a smart defender can just relax his grip and let the fighter's momentum pitch him forward. Sword play only really uses the top half of the blade anyway, any closer than that and you might as well just throw in a punch.

That's why I don't like swords too much. Way to easy to find an opening if you know what you're doing. I like spears and knives. Easier to get in close with.

Edited by Malles

1. Still seems unlikely to me.

2. I don't mean using two sabers to block two other sabers, I mean using two sabers to block one saber.

1. Well, the blade slide was meant to disarm the opponent during duels. It was very difficult to pull off, and was an all-or-nothing proposition. Because if it failed, you were left wide open for a riposte. Watch the older Three Musketeers movies or anything with Danny Kaye doing sword work. He was one of the best fencers in the old movies. Quite a few of them show both successful and failed blade slide attempts.

2. Yeah, the double blades to block one makes very little sense unless fighting a very strong opponent. Even then, immediately after blocking the single blade, one of the dual blades should already be in motion to riposte. Granted, dual wielding is extremely hard to master. Miyamoto Musashi was one of the few, but even he fought serious to-the-death duels with only a single blade.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Actual blocking's hard as hell to being with. You'd have to be a god among men to stop a sword swipe in it's tracks without having your own sword come towards you to some degree. At best, the dull end just gives you a nasty bruise on your leg. At worse, you get bopped in the face and it's all down hill from there.

Saber locking could work if one opponent was pushing straight down into another. And while a smart fighter can and will slide down the sword to go for your hand, a smart defender can just relax his grip and let the fighter's momentum pitch him forward. Sword play only really uses the top half of the blade anyway, any closer than that and you might as well just throw in a punch.

That's why I don't like swords too much. Way to easy to find an opening if you know what you're doing. I like spears and knives. Easier to get in close with.

For the older, heavier swords used in the middle ages, I agree. Shields were made for blocking those. For the lighter sabres and rapiers, blade on blade combat was much more common. It was also much faster due to the lighter weight of the swords. Now, some did master dual blades with the Rapier/Main Gauche combination. Using the main gauche primarily for defense. If you can find it, watch the Highlander Episode entitled "Duende" for an outstanding example of such a duel.

Edited by Captain_Zone