ToR is a success, dont feed no trolls.

vaknyuszi

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer: no I cant say definitively. But I can question the effectiveness of that process when certain design decisions (namely, the multiple iterations of ilum) which are obvious to me and many other players (pvpers) get pushed through to live.

I am not being unreasonable either. I agreed with most 1.2 balance changes barring commando nerfs for exactly the reasons that ohlen posted. The glimpses we get into their thought processes are rare, and often times not even made on these forums.

Didn't read the thread but hopefully someone pointed out that EA has to pay licensing fees to LucasArts and the estimated $200 million to create the game doesn't cover marketing expenses, which are probably hovering around $80 million. Also, EA only gets the full $60 per purchase from Origin sales because retailers have to get their cut. There are also operating/staffing expenses to consider. I'm too lazy to dig up numbers but the quoted revenue in the OP is probably too high and the expenses are way too low. Regardless, if EA merely recoups their costs for this game it will be considered a huge failure. The ROI on a 5 year investment like this would be abyssmal if it barely breaks even considering the huge appeal of the IP and investors/LucasArts would not be pleased. Edited by CaptainInsano

I mean... that sounds a lot more like damage control (even before release). Well... when people notice that we don't have X feature and Y feature and Z feature... that was intended!

Lol...sigh... of course as they add more and more features to the game... you know... I'm just not buying it. Especially when there are other posts sayings things like "We copied WoW's mechanics on suchandsuch because it was already proven"

The two assertions are so diametrically opposed that only a politician could talk out of both sides of his mouth more effectively ;)

PS... how come my auto spellcheck/grammar check is now turned off on posts... my engrish sucks and I need that to clean up my posts =/

Didn't read the thread but hopefully someone pointed out that EA has to pay licensing fees to LucasArts and the estimated $200 million to create the game doesn't cover marketing expenses, which are probably hovering around $80 million. Also, EA only gets the full $60 per purchase from Origin sales because retailers have to get their cut. There are also operating/staffing expenses to consider. I'm too lazy to dig up numbers but the quoted revenue in the OP is probably too high and the expenses are way too low. Regardless, if EA merely recoups their costs for this game it will be considered a huge failure. The ROI on a 5 year investment like this would be abyssmal if it barely breaks even considering the huge appeal of the IP and investors/LucasArts would not be pleased.

Then they should protect that investment!!!

Making excuses for them does not FIX anything!!!

Edited by MoCarnage
typo

Short answer: no I cant say definitively. But I can question the effectiveness of that process when certain design decisions (namely, the multiple iterations of ilum) which are obvious to me and many other players (pvpers) get pushed through to live.

I am not being unreasonable either. I agreed with most 1.2 balance changes barring commando nerfs for exactly the reasons that ohlen posted. The glimpses we get into their thought processes are rare, and often times not even made on these forums.

Trooper Commando had to be nerfed! Its the BH Mercenary nerf that should not have happened!! :mad:grr111:mad:

Definitely would like more glimpses into their thought processes on these forums, that's for sure. Hopefully the restructure will mean more info.

What's happening with the open-world PvP revamp, BioWare?! :mad:

Didn't read the thread but hopefully someone pointed out that EA has to pay licensing fees to LucasArts and the estimated $200 million to create the game doesn't cover marketing expenses, which are probably hovering around $80 million. Also, EA only gets the full $60 per purchase from Origin sales because retailers have to get their cut. There are also operating/staffing expenses to consider. I'm too lazy to dig up numbers but the quoted revenue in the OP is probably too high and the expenses are way too low. Regardless, if EA merely recoups their costs for this game it will be considered a huge failure. The ROI on a 5 year investment like this would be abyssmal if it barely breaks even considering the huge appeal of the IP and investors/LucasArts would not be pleased.

I have read the thread, yes it has already been mentioned and yes I have followed this crucial and valuable information in adjusting my entire investment portfolio.

This forum has saved me thousands in monthly overheads as it has enabled me to shut down my Reuters info and Bloomberg subscriptions!!

Reminds me of a guy who was playing Warcraft (the rts) here at work and claimed it was a screen saver that he wrote when the boss walked by. The boss believed him until his son, who works here and plays games told his Dad what it was. True Story.

Last year I was working late one night (I was salary so no overtime paid) I usually work like 8-5 it was around 8pm at night. I was trying to get some things finished up on a project and was planning on staying until around midnight. Rather than go home, I just jumped into WoW to play with my son for an hour or so and then get back to work.

My boss walks into my office (My computer faced away from the door) and asks me "What are you working on right now?"

I replied "Nothing, I am playing video games at the moment" There's this long pause... and he says "Yeah haha funny but seriously what are you working on?" I spin my laptop around and say "See it's a video game, I am playing with my son before he has to go to bed, and since I am staying late tonight, and skipped both lunch and dinner I am taking an hour to hang out with my son. I can instead go home like everyone else at 5 if you like and let you finish what I was working on, then you know, I won't be playing a video game at work."

He ponders it for a few seconds and said "Naw, you go ahead and do whatever you need to do"

lol.

The incredible shrinking thread. Thats they job, though.

Anyway, jc, would you defend their last minute pulling of rated warzones and subsequent silence about it?.

Infrastructure arguments inc

The last-minute pulling, well it's not like that's never happened in other games, especially with the fact that BioWare told us that its implementation was dependent on testing.

Subsequent silence? For this long, no, but I bet we get info on it today. Still waiting on OPvP info, though. No excuse for the silence there. At all.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

The last-minute pulling, well it's not like that's never happened in other games, especially with the fact that BioWare told us that its implementation was dependent on testing.

Subsequent silence? For this long, no, but I bet we get info on it today. Still waiting on OPvP info, though. No excuse for the silence there. At all.

What makes you say that? Getting word from them lately is like trying to squeeze water out of a stone.

shhhh the first rule of Forum club is you dont talk about Forum club!

They're not gone. They are um .. just invisible... yeah .. that's the ticket. :D

I swear I am never going to break 1000 forum posts. :eek:

Edited by Urael

Definitely would like more glimpses into their thought processes on these forums, that's for sure. Hopefully the restructure will mean more info.

Owpvp would be nice, but damned if im not more interested in rated!

After ilum, id be fine if they just concentrate on other things for the time being :/

After ilum, id be fine if they just concentrate on other things for the time being :/

Yeah, I'm not worried about rated, personally, because I know it's coming. OPvP, though... not a peep! Last thing was said was that they were working on a total revamp.... then utter and eery silence. And no, it's not golden.

Funny how all the people who are bashing this game, havent left the forums in 2 months. If you know you hate this game why even be here - period. Go play what you like, with the other 100 griefers on the forums. :)

Or is fair too much to ask for?

i have 19 days left,and ill use it as i please...if bioware creats a miracle in those 19 days i may stay...if not, see you in GW2.

Edited by tloops

Really? Damn, if they introduced a decent working meaningful R v R aspect to this game and and seperate 8 man and solo WZ qeueing I would not care if they never even spoke about rated again, hell I would probably re up for another 6 months!

I agree there needs to be more info on these forums; I hate having to go somewhere else to find information they don't post here. I believe a small thread where once a week they name something they are working on or looking into, why they are doing it, and if they are able how they are going about it. A date wouldn't be necessary; but it would be nice.

I agree there needs to be more info on these forums; I hate having to go somewhere else to find information they don't post here. I believe a small thread where once a week they name something they are working on or looking into, why they are doing it, and if they are able how they are going about it. A date wouldn't be necessary; but it would be nice.

They already do.

i have 19 days left,and ill use it as i please...if bioware creats a miracle in those 19 days i may stay...if not, see you in GW2.

Already pre-purchased GW2, since there is no sub for it I would play TOR as well if they fixed it up. I'll keep checking back after my 30days runs out, but as time goes by my hope is waning.