Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Powertech > Marauder

LoL-K-Noob

Even though a powertech loses 1v1 against a marauder here are the reasons:

1. Pumps out more heavy hitting attacks and faster

- Marauders require 5 rage buildup for annihilate and a 4m 3 second channeled ravage, while Powertech is

pure insta cast that can be ranged.

2. Perma snare

- Marauders have to use a 2 rage skill in order to make an enemy run at a crawling pace unlike "set it and forget

it" secondary effect.

3. Grapple

- Can pull a guarded healer or range DPS sitting behind their team to get spiked

4. Doesnt get their effectiveness decreased dramatically when bounced around like a pinball and space is made.

- And this is why undying rage is fine and not overpowered. Sick of being thrown 20m+ and only have a little

resolve build up only to have it happen again and again and again

The only place a Marauder has in serious 8 man pvp is carnage for speed buff, trauma debuff, and roots. The rest of the dps will be Powertechs.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

force camo

Undying rage

Force leap

Amazing damage

I just did what you did, list some abilities of the class, and declared an opinion.

Different classes are different?

As for your 8man team premise, a bunch of marauders > a bunch of powertechs ---> spec rage and smash bomb 2shot entire "teams"

Edited by Dmasterr

force camo

Undying rage

Force leap

Amazing damage

I just did what you did, list some abilities of the class, and declared an opinion.

As for your 8man team premise, a bunch of marauders > a bunch of powertechs ---> spec rage and smash bomb 2shot entire "teams"

Fail for saying rage spec marauders are worth anything.

Annihilation are a beast in 1v1 and small scale battles. Rage specced marauders are a beast when in groups. You will not lack the self heal since there will be dedicated healers on your team.

Smash and Bersek resource free vicious strike that hits 2 targets are awesome.

Again, we were talking under the premise of an 8 man team, not solo queue. Also under the premis that (3+ stacking of same class),, then marauders >powertechs. (since you were talking that teams will stack powertechs)

Alone as rage spec you wont be that dangerous, but in groups of 3+, you are death incarnate superburst entire clusters of players.

Edited by Dmasterr

Yeah... one might not be much of a problem, but try fighting against 3-5 coordinated with each other. You can't stop them all, and if you don't even stop one, your entire clump of teammates is now dead. I don't even play rage, but I've played against rage premades with literally 3 Rage Maras and 2 Rage Juggs, and we spent the whole game getting bombed one after another.

Single Rage Maras are the easiest ones, though.

Edited by Vid-szhite

I already knew that PT/Van > Mara/Sent, but most ppl don't know this because:

PT/Van was and probably still is the least played AC, and on top of it very few go Pyro/AS spec. Most I see tank.

There's not that many around so that's why you don't see that much QQ on them. Mara/Sent on the other hand there's like +4 every wz.

1. Yes, we have an advantage over Mara's! Wee...

2. There is no "perma snare sit and forget effect", if anything that would be the Marauder snare, not the Powertech one. Powertechs need to spam their flame burst to apply plasma cylinder on you, which snares you for 50% for 2 seconds.

The GCD for an instant attack is 1.5s.

Lets do the math:

- I use ion pulse / flame burst: slowed for 2s.

- GCD: 1.5s, 0.5s of snare left afterward.

- A different instant ability (Assault Plastique / HiB)

- GCD: 1.5s, 1s without snare

- Ion pulse: snared for 2s

For reference, Assault Vanguards run out of ammo extremely quickly, they will not spam ion pulse continuously without a couple of regular hammer shots in between, these have a 16% chance to trigger plasma cell.

3. Yes, we have grapple, Marauders do not. Just like we do not have undying rage, cloak of pain or saberward.

4. You need to be in 10m to pull off your most effective burst.

Force push them, stun them, snare them and they'll be a sitting duck, unlike you, we have very little defensive cooldowns and no escape abilities.

Laugh while the powertech slowly crawls back up the hill while you LoS him.

In the worst case he can pull off his initial burst and use mortar volley, after that he's out of options.

Knocking back a PT when they've used their initial burst is one of the most effective ways to get rid of them.

Btw: yes our burst is too high, as is all burst being thrown around these days. But nerfing it would require a serious redesign of the spec and possibly class, because burst is the only thing this spec has.

A mara can come very close to the burst a PT does and has much much more other tools available to him.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

Please roll more pyro powertechs. I simply love rolling over them with my sentinel (I have a coqueror/near warlord pyro-Vanguard myself) and since I moved to another server I chose the sent. 4x more defensive cooldowns, a 12s gap-closer, healing debuff, troll move (master strike/ravage) and yes sometimes I am below a pyro on the scoreboard but that is due to AOE splash damage (mortar volley/pulse cannon) while the sentinel does pure single target damage. I know which class can simply stomp to the ground faster and its not the pyro-powertech. Edited by SajPl

4. Doesnt get their effectiveness decreased dramatically when bounced around like a pinball and space is made.

- And this is why undying rage is fine and not overpowered. Sick of being thrown 20m+ and only have a little

The only place a Marauder has in serious 8 man pvp is carnage for speed buff, trauma debuff, and roots. The rest of the dps will be Powertechs.

You just proved how bad you are, I'm sorry that will change you are simply having L2P issues.

Pyro is absolutely bad in huttball aside from anything than mid control and pulling the ballcarier into a hazard once every 45 seconds. Knock a pyro into the pit and he cant do anything besides 3 attack (basic, assault plastique, inciniery round which is a small dot compared to other classes). Knock back a sent and he will be right back on top of you with force leap.

Still waiting for those pyro teams, first half will die to 2 gunslingers before they can even do anything, second will be eaten alive by sentinels/marauders.

force camo

Undying rage

Force leap

Amazing damage

This is true lol. Besides the mara/sent community none of us feel bad for you guys.

- Marauders require 5 rage buildup for annihilate and a 4m 3 second channeled ravage, while Powertech is

2. Perma snare

- Marauders have to use a 2 rage skill in order to make an enemy run at a crawling pace unlike "set it and forget

it" secondary effect.

3. Grapple

- Can pull a guarded healer or range DPS sitting behind their team to get spiked

ROFL, if any marauder dies to a powertech one vs one currently they are terrible at their profession.

True Story:

I have 91 valor ranks on my vanguard. He had 60 of them before the valor gain increases in WZ, so I have around 20-25 days /played on him. He's one piece (1500 R.Wz.C.) away from saying "I'm done playing warzones for Ranked Warzone Commendations". My sentinel is around 6-7 days /played and isn't yet valor rank 60, though is wearing a full battlemaster set with 5 of 7 augmented pieces (2 sabers, chest, legs, head). My vanguard is Biochem with all the things that come with that. My sentinel is a synthweaver, and up till now has been PVPing without any stims and only WZ adrenals which were used sparingly due to cost.

Yet the power level of the two character is very near comparable. I admit that I do better on the VG, but a lot has to do with learning the class in PVP, for example: I have to look down at the bars when I play my sentinel, as a result many times people are able to walk away from me momentarily causing a drop in my damage. I'm not near as proficient about using my damage increasing and mitigation cooldowns on the sentinel as I am on the VG. Most important I have not learned the sentinel's 1v1 strategies against any class nearly as extensively as I have on the VG, I just walk up and go into my rotation without any consideration.

So while the OP's statement holds true in my case, where the sentinel is a baddie, the Vanguard (powertech) is indeed better. I would have to argue that given enough practice, equal gear level, and resource dedication (read biochem use) the sentinel would be at the very least on equal footing with the vanguard.

ROFL, if any marauder dies to a powertech one vs one currently they are terrible at their profession.

Many have posted Sorcerer beat Marauders 1v1, go to Sorcerer forum you will even find a guide on how to do it with video...

True story.

Many have posted Sorcerer beat Marauders 1v1, go to Sorcerer forum you will even find a guide on how to do it with video...

True story.

In that video the mara charges them first thing too...Everyone beats bad players besides other bads. Sorc/sage only as balance/madness can beat a mara. So don't act like any sorc/sage wins. First you have to be the right spec. Second you can't suck...

I'm reposting this again, I have absolutely no idea why it's been removed, it has nothing in the post warrented to being removed.

Rage specced marauders are a beast when in groups.

I facepalm super hard when I see rage spec marauders on my team, they're useless to us as a team.

PS- any marauder that uses force charge as an opener is a dead marauder, that's if the target has a brain. At least with my powertech I can jet charge, get knocked back, and grapple his butt over to me.

Edited by Sookster

2. Perma snare

it" secondary effect.

3. Grapple

Soooooo ... are advocating they get nerfed first?

I'm reposting this again, I have absolutely no idea why it's been removed, it has nothing in the post warrented to being removed.

I facepalm super hard when I see rage spec marauders on my team, they're useless to us as a team.

PS- any marauder that uses force charge as an opener is a dead marauder, that's if the target has a brain. At least with my powertech I can jet charge, get knocked back, and grapple his butt over to me.

I don't think you understand what was said. And, becuase you think otherwise, you most certainly never played DAoC and ran in horror at two Mana Chanters/Eldritches came running your way. A single AoE bomb is easy to shake off, especially if you have a healer. Two or three AoE bombs in a group of players is a nightmare of devestation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.