The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Battlemaster combat tech or eliminator chest for pyro pvp

mwirove

Hey guys I'm new to 50 and I'm wondering what most people do for their chest, eliminator or combat tech? I can tell we want eliminator 4pc bonus on rail shot, and go with elim boots, legs, gauntlets and head. And what about belt, ear implant and guantlet?

Like I said I'm just wondering what most people are doing for their pyro.

Thanks

I went with the eliminator just in case I ever ended up with a really great piece I wanted to throw in instead of one of my set pieces. I figure with 5 piece eliminator I can always change one peice out and never lose my bonus. The reality is all I do is PvP and I will never change it out and it will make no difference.

Not what the OP was asking about, but thanks for the suggestion!

lol, are you the OP's spokesman? The guy is asking what other Pyros are doing. I told him what I am doing and with it I am eating Maraud/Tanksins for breakfast, launch and dinner :)

lol, are you the OP's spokesman? The guy is asking what other Pyros are doing. I told him what I am doing and with it I am eating Maraud/Tanksins for breakfast, launch and dinner :)

Out of curiosity, what do you rip enhancements out of for the Power/Surge? I have the craftables on another character but I'm concerned about the lower level of the purple enhancements vs the BM ones, not to mention the loss of Expertise. Columi gloves are another possibility since they're closer to comparable and can be ground out faster given current PvP queue times (or worked on concurrently), but would still carry an Expertise loss.

Out of curiosity, what do you rip enhancements out of for the Power/Surge? I have the craftables on another character but I'm concerned about the lower level of the purple enhancements vs the BM ones, not to mention the loss of Expertise. Columi gloves are another possibility since they're closer to comparable and can be ground out faster given current PvP queue times (or worked on concurrently), but would still carry an Expertise loss.

I had gotten BM before 1.2, so I had also plenty of Champion mods. To me min/maxing for PvP is not a big deal. You're not a better PvPer if you are parsing 1500 on a dummy vs someone else's 1400. Expertise of course is priority. I wouldnt worry much about other stats until 1100+ Expertise. With my current setup, I am slowly shifting towards more crit, since I am not going for the 15% Eliminator bonus.

If you want to get technical, he was asking what chest to go with while getting the eliminator 4pc bonus, your suggestion while viable from your firsthand experience with it was not the feedback he was looking for, which is why I said what I said. I was just trying to be jokingly annoying with my response instead of resorting to some immature vitriolic statement.

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting.

So, essentially you tie together Energy Rebounder along with the 2 Piece Combat Medic / 2 Piece Super Commando bonus?

And it works? I feel like that'd be sacrificing a whole ton of damage, both burst and sustained, which is main aspect of Pyro.

Have you thought of Degauss for this build?

Or wouldn't it be more efficient to run as a Shield spec?

I don't mean to ask so many questions, I'm only curious. I appreciate your thinking outside of the box.

That's interesting.

So, essentially you tie together Energy Rebounder along with the 2 Piece Combat Medic / 2 Piece Super Commando bonus?

And it works? I feel like that'd be sacrificing a whole ton of damage, both burst and sustained, which is main aspect of Pyro.

Have you thought of Degauss for this build?

Or wouldn't it be more efficient to run as a Shield spec?

I don't mean to ask so many questions, I'm only curious. I appreciate your thinking outside of the box.

The 15% crit bonus to Railshot from the Eliminator set is nice. But I am geared well enough, and able to still burst down even an Operative Healer, that I opted for this setup to maximize my survivability against the toughest classes, namely marauders/assassins. This "Super" Shield setup, proved more valuable to me than the 15% crit. In fact, I am so addicted to it, that I dont even consider any other gear setup. 18sec shield practically every 40sec means I have my energy shield available pretty much whenever I need it. 18sec vs 12sec, means I can stay alive much longer when the marauder pops his cds, or when I go solo to cap a node vs. 2 others. Because of this, I hardly ever lose vs a marauder/assassin. There are others here on the forum who also tried it and really like it. There is a dedicated thread to it. The Super Energy Shield.

Regarding Degauss, it's a personal preference. It would work very nice if you have Energy Rebounder too. I just prefer Infrared Sensors because I hate assassins and there are a ton of them on my server.

It's not more efficient to run as a shield spec. I am full dps spec, constantly either 1st or 2nd in dmg/kills/medals/least death all due to this Super shield setup. I posted a hybrid tank spec that makes use of Energy Rebounder, but I would only recommend it for PvE since stance switching in PvP would be ridiculous. Here is the thread on The "Bubble" Tank.

IMHO, if you run pyro and don't run the "super shield" gear setup Agooz outlined, you are missing out. (after you've gotten your BM set already for the expertise that is)

15% crit change to railshot is a loss, but not a big one when your shield can refresh every 40 seconds.

The extra 6 seconds of shield effectively reduces your time unshielded by 21.4%. Plus, just like he said, when people pop their CDs your shield won't drop while they still have their buffs.

In the words of DJ Lance, "Try it, you'll like it!"

So guys, this super shield works only for battlemaster?

You just need the mods from BM armor, or WH armor, then you don't lose all your expertise. Then just drop the mods into the other armor for the set bonus.

So guys, this super shield works only for battlemaster?

No. But stacking mitigation, or stacking any stat really, should be the goal to really notice a difference. 1200expertise + heavy armor + 18sec Shield(w/40sec CD) + 4% mitigation through Combust = A very durable Pyro able to dish out and mitigate damage. The reason you want BM "Armor Mod" is it's the highest mod you can get without loosing the 2pc PvE Supercommando bonus, while still keeping good expertise.

Edited by Agooz

IMHO, if you run pyro and don't run the "super shield" gear setup Agooz outlined, you are missing out. (after you've gotten your BM set already for the expertise that is)

15% crit change to railshot is a loss, but not a big one when your shield can refresh every 40 seconds.

The extra 6 seconds of shield effectively reduces your time unshielded by 21.4%. Plus, just like he said, when people pop their CDs your shield won't drop while they still have their buffs.

In the words of DJ Lance, "Try it, you'll like it!"

But while the shield only mitigates 25% of damage, that's only an extra 5.3% to what you would have normally. I feel like the Alacrity from the Combat Medic gear also hinders your performance a bit.

Maybe I'm wrong, and that's a high possibility, but I'm just skeptical as to how all of this is worth giving up a 15% Rail Shot Crit / better (DPS) stats on gear.

Also, are you taking the Supercommando 2 piece for the extra Guard sustain? It doesn't seem like that helps the shield, but it makes sense in PvP as that's a pretty integral aspect of medal attaining.

EDIT: My bad, The PvE Supercommando gear. Gotcha, my bad.

Edited by AnAcuteAngle

But while the shield only mitigates 25% of damage, that's only an extra 5.3% to what you would have normally. I feel like the Alacrity from the Combat Medic gear also hinders your performance a bit.

Maybe I'm wrong, and that's a high possibility, but I'm just skeptical as to how all of this is worth giving up a 15% Rail Shot Crit / better (DPS) stats on gear.

Also, are you taking the Supercommando 2 piece for the extra Guard sustain? It doesn't seem like that helps the shield, but it makes sense in PvP as that's a pretty integral aspect of medal attaining.

EDIT: My bad, The PvE Supercommando gear. Gotcha, my bad.

The whole point is the maximize the Energy Shield. Having it at 18sec + Energy Rebounder means that for at least half the game, you have 25% mitigation. Also when speaking of what set pieces to use, that doesnt mean you keep the stock mods. With the 2pc Combat Medic you want to remove alacrity and add power/surge. With the 2pc Supercommando (PvE), you will change ALL the mods. You want to aim for the BM armor mods, and WH mod/enhancement (also power/surge when you can, if not then crit/surge).

You just need the mods from BM armor, or WH armor, then you don't lose all your expertise. Then just drop the mods into the other armor for the set bonus.

i thought the WH mods carried the set bonus with them

im still a little confused on how this game mechanic works

i do like the idea of this gear set and am currently working on trying it out

Where would you recommend getting the augments/ armor enhancements to sub in for the gear?

Since I'm not a big PvE'er,, would 2 Piece Combat-Medic and 2 Piece Combat-Tech suffice? Combine with Degauss for 2 relatively short snare breaks... The Carbonite CD reduction helps the whole 'escape' problem of the Pyro's.

i thought the WH mods carried the set bonus with them

im still a little confused on how this game mechanic works

i do like the idea of this gear set and am currently working on trying it out

Both WH and Campaign gear carry the set bonus on the "Armor Mod" and WILL override any other setbonus. So for the 2pc PvE Supercommando you want to use BM "Armor Mods", and WH "mods/enhancements"

sorry if this is off topic but another question...

if i pull the mods out can i still trade a piece of BM gear into WH gear?

Yes you can trade in empty BM gear for the WH.

Where would you recommend getting the augments/ armor enhancements to sub in for the gear?

Since I'm not a big PvE'er,, would 2 Piece Combat-Medic and 2 Piece Combat-Tech suffice? Combine with Degauss for 2 relatively short snare breaks... The Carbonite CD reduction helps the whole 'escape' problem of the Pyro's.

That would work