Should armor be tied to classes? Stats can do the trick...

Clodde

Developers want to make us wear what we want, while players want a minimum of "reality" (i.e., wear proper looking armor in accordance to the class).

Now the game is phasing adaptive armor: but is it the right thing to do? I've heard complaints that lore-wise a player dressed like a dancer should not be able to tank properly.

Hardcore players then, want to be able to get better gear than the casual players.

What about limiting the liberty of what people should be able to wear? I have the feeling that there's no need for a traditional system light/medium/heavy, but instead to regulate the armoring by putting incentives related to the class wearing it.

HOW? Very simple actually: gear won't come with light/medium/heavy but instead it will provide an unchangeable armoring slot which will include one of the main stats (cunning, strenght, willpower, aim....) and possibly something else such as endurance. These armoring should be better than the crafted ones by a small amount in order to make them unique and appealing to hardcore players, but most of all they should not be locked and unpossible to delete. Social gear will have an empty slot instead, making them still viable.

Do you think this system could ever work in SW:TOR?

Edited by Clodde

Developers want to make us wear what we want, while players want a minimum of "reality" (i.e., wear proper looking armor in accordance to the class).

Now the game is phasing adaptive armor: but is it the right thing to do? I've heard complaints that lore-wise a player dressed like a dancer should not be able to tank properly.

Hardcore players then, want to be able to get better gear than the casual players.

What about limiting the liberty of what people should be able to wear? I have the feeling that there's no need for a traditional system light/medium/heavy, but instead to regulate the armoring by putting incentives related to the class wearing it.

HOW? Very simple actually: gear won't come with light/medium/heavy but instead it will provide an unchangeable armoring slot which will include one of the main stats (cunning, strenght, willpower, aim....) and possibly something else such as endurance. These armoring should be better than the crafted ones by a small amount in order to make them unique and appealing to hardcore players, but most of all they should not be locked and unpossible to delete. Social gear will have an empty slot instead, making them still viable.

Do you think this system could ever work in SW:TOR?

No no no! A hundred thousand times no!

Do you know how much that would upset the majority of players. I mean just look at how many threads there are complaining about how there wasn't enough variety in crafted Orange armors. People want to look the way they want to look, and still be competitive. Making it harder then it already is, is just going to piss allot of people off.

If you ask me I think they should just make all armor adaptive, and leave how we look up to us.