BW could do transfers now but hasn't...why?

NDiggy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that they could do the comparably small amount and more simple transfers they did before.You don't have any idea if they're capable of the much larger amount and more complicated transfers they'd be doing in the near future. Please don't spam up this forum with assumptions.

Thanks for not bothering to read. I'm not suggesting mass transfers. All I'm suggesting is they start doing small transfers which they've already done with the aussie servers. They've already done transfers like these so its not an assumption they can do them.

Actually yes - that. They have lots of people working on PR why not put a little more work on something like manual transfers ? They are needed and yes would not change the situation but would at least show that they care a little instead of making more and more promos.

Because PR is juuuust slightly different then working on a DB. DBs can be finicky at best. Sorry, but I don't want to be a guinea pig just because you can't wait another few weeks for a transfer system. I am on one of those deader than dead servers and have no problem waiting if it means less headaches when the time comes.

The same people work on both?

I would be surprised if they didn't. Since the transfer would involve DB information, you would want your DB experts working on the system to ensure nothing gets broken.

BJ

There's a big difference in transferring players and their legacy to an empty server and transferring a player to a server that may already have their legacy name on it, so let me give you a scenario. With all this talk about Fatman, let's assume I started a character and a new legacy on Fatman with every intention of paying for a transfer when the Character Transfer Service is available. At this point I have two legacies, Johnson on Hedarr Soongh and Smith on Fatman.

Well, the day has come, and I want to transfer my Johnson legacy to Fatman, which contains my Smith legacy. Therein lies the problem. You can't have two legacies on the same server, so something had to be done. This is one of a few reasons why a Character Transfer Service is a bit more complicated than the Asia-Pacific transfers.

This seems like a problem you created by creating characters on different servers, some of us did not go around server hopping. I think the people that did the server hopping at lauch are also to blame for filling up the servers with unplayed characters.

Giving BW a copout, that it wont be done because it requires manually transfering them is just silly, As a PAYING customer, BW should be doing everything they can to retain my business, This is not a onetime purchase of a product, but a sub based product.

Actually yes - that. They have lots of people working on PR why not put a little more work on something like manual transfers ? They are needed and yes would not change the situation but would at least show that they care a little instead of making more and more promos.
The individuals you speak of are likely incapable of contributing to transfers. PR entails a skill set that does not include db management or hardware development; I could be successful in a PR position, but you do not want me attempting to transfer your character information to a new system. Edited by HeavensAgent

You're mistaken. The transfer process began before the servers went live.

Servers went live March 1st, transfers started April 18th and ended April 24th. How exactly did transfers start before servers went live?

You're mistaken. The transfer process began before the servers went live.
He's not mistaken. The destination servers were already populated and Legacies were already established. A system to address this has already been established. Edited by HeavensAgent

The individuals you speak of are likely incapable of contributing to transfers. PR entails a skill set that does not include db management or hardware development; I could be successful in a PR position, but you do not want me attempting to transfer your character information to a new system.

We don't know enough to say one way or another that performing manual transfers is too difficult for laymen to perform or not. We also don't know which employers are responsible for performing them.

We do know they can be done though, so the question is why haven't they?

I see your point, but I assure you, the people working on PR have degrees in marketing and public relations. They're not the kind of people you can sit behind a computer and tell them to start transferring characters.

Yes but you cannot just shove 'hype' into people without any real changes.

Because than even if you make changes you get angry mob by the door, angry mob that was created by you because you overhyped it to such a degree.

Not to mention that doing manual tranfers together with a promo that shows like 500 people at Bioware working all the time and saying how time consuming making transfers is and why, with an input that - in order to help the customers as much as possible - they are also making manual transfers to speed up the process making the game as much fun as possible would be a goddamn good promo. Id buy such message.

Also I seriusly think that much of bioware hate comes from the fact that they do too much PR when compared to some of their recent work If they fired a few of those people (like the something AWESOME happens button guy from DA2) maybe the situation would be better. Especially if they would fire the AWESOME button guy to hire a new enviromental programminst for DA3 ;-)))

I throwing out a wild guess here but I'm guessing that the op who wants them to implement the transfer now would be the same person complaining it was buggy...

Only if the bug wasn't fixed 6 months into the game.

We do know they can be done though, so the question is why haven't they?
Many valid reasons have been given, some of which are that they cannot perform transfers at all at this point.

You say that the transfer process might be simple enough for a "layman" to perform, and that this means transfers should be enacted now. Yet you readily dismiss valid reasons as to why transfers are not possible at this time. I recommend expanding your vocabulary a bit: Look up the word hypocrisy. It applies to what you're doing here quite well.

Bioware is probably scared that server transfers would imply that the game isn't doing well. WELL IT ISN'T DOING WELL.

The population on most servers is a joke and the longer they wait, the worse it gets. Who in their right mind is going to pay 15 dollars a month to play an MMO when there aren't other people to play with?

Many valid reasons have been given, some of which are that they cannot perform transfers at all at this point.

You say that the transfer process might be simple enough for a "layman" to perform, and that this means transfers should be enacted now. Yet you readily dismiss valid reasons as to why transfers are not possible at this time. I recommend expanding your vocabulary a bit: Look up the word hypocrisy. It applies to what you're doing here quite well.

I never said laymen could perform the transfers, I said we don't know whether they can or not. Did you not even bother to read the post you quoted? The only reason any one gave that I shot down was the guy saying they couldn't merge legacies, which you agreed they could and also shot down that guy.

My point stands, we know they can do it, so why haven't they? BW has yet to chime in, and all anyone can offer is pure speculation as to why they haven't.

My point stands, we know they can do it, so why haven't they? BW has yet to chime in, and all anyone can offer is pure speculation as to why they haven't.
My point stands as well, though. You are dismissing dissenting opinions without recognizing a key fact: your initial statement is nothing more than speculation.

We do not know that it is even possible to transfer characters manually at this point.

That it was done before does not indicate that it can be now. It does not indicate it could ever have been done on any server other than those involved in the Asia-Pacific transfers. The basis of this entire thread is nothing more than supposition.

The developers have already stated the reason why transfers are unavailable now. There's no reason for them to repeat themselves, and if that's what you're wanting you're simply wasting your breath.

Then I'd wait until they got to mine. I'd also have a little more faith that BW is willing to go the extra mile for their players.
Then wait patiently. They transferred characters by hand already. They went the "extra mile" you describe. Edited by HeavensAgent

My point stands as well, though. You are dismissing dissenting opinions without recognizing a key fact: your initial statement is nothing more than speculation.

We do not know that it is even possible to transfer characters manually at this point.

That it was done before does not indicate that it can be now. It does not indicate it could ever have been done on any server other than those involved in the Asia-Pacific transfers. The basis of this entire thread is nothing more than supposition.

The developers have already stated the reason why transfers are unavailable now. There's no reason for them to repeat themselves, and if that's what you're wanting you're simply wasting your breath.

How is it speculation if they've already done it before? Where is the dev statement saying why they aren't doing manual transfers? I've seen all the other statements about transfers. I'm starting to smell fanboy/apologist.

Then wait patiently. They transferred characters by hand already. They went the "extra mile" you describe.

Umm, the extra mile would be to keep doing manual transfers until the automated system was ready. They transferred the aussies and quit. Which incidentally killed the pops on the servers the aussies left.

Most people are out of patience. They're looking for a reason to stay at this point. The free 30 days are over for many or coming to a close for the rest. Why stay if BW can't go the extra mile for us?

How is it speculation if they've already done it before?
Manual transfers were employed to facilitate Asia-Pacific transfers, and even then they were extremely buggy. It is speculation to assume that it can be employed in other situations.

Where is the dev statement saying why they aren't doing manual transfers?
It's the same message saying they are working to implement an automated system capable of handling the transfer process. No other response is really needed, because if their resources are dedicated to this task then there should be none left to manually transfer characters. Edited by HeavensAgent

Umm, the extra mile would be to keep doing manual transfers until the automated system was ready.
Now you're backpedaling. You stated the extra mile would be transferring characters manually. This was fulfilled. I suspect you're just sore because you were not included in this.

Most people are out of patience. They're looking for a reason to stay at this point. The free 30 days are over for many or coming to a close for the rest. Why stay if BW can't go the extra mile for us?
If that's how you feel don't stay. You can always return when transfers are in place.