Enough Lucas Bashing Already!

GusVIII

Holding this opinion invalidates every opinion you hold about everything.

The way you define a person who is wrong about everything is by asking, "Do they think that any of the prequels are better than any of the original Star Wars movies?" If they say "yes" then they are officially unreliable on every subject.

Well, I can imagine that someone who likes action and special effects over acting and story could prefer the prequels. Just sayin'.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timothy Zahn is the Creator of the Expanded Universe.

actually Alan Dean Foster was if you wanna get technical... he wrote Splinter of the Mind's Eye which came out in 1978 and was the first EU novel... then of course there were the Marvel comics and games which are all part of the EU and came out all through the late 70s and 80s before Zahn's novels... but the REAL father of the EU I'd say was West End Games with their pen and paper RPG guides... hell even Zahn used them as guides when he was writing the Thrawn trilogy.. Zahn may have started the popularity of EU novels but he is far far from being the creator of the EU

Edited by Liquidacid

Believe it or not. But Mark Hamil is doing mor 'acting' then all the protagonist in the new movies together.

In the old movies those fictional characters are coming to live on its own. (the effect of acting)

In the new movies you have ... that trainspotting guy, the girl form Leon, Shaft, Saruman and a bunch of muppets.

Star Wars was a fine film, but if Kershner and Kurtz hadn't worked to deliver the more adult Empire Strikes Back, the spark that ignited Star Wars into the stratosphere wouldn't have happened.

I'm going to assume that you're too young to remember when star wars first came out. It hit the stratosphere pretty much immediately. Star wars was already huge when ESB came out.

As for the children's films thing, I think they made the films to anyone, any age. Where the kiddy thing came from was more the merchandise really, with the figures, etc.

People can bash Lucas all they like, but ultimately he was the guy who thought it, and made it. Yeah he had help, but he had the say in what happens, what's in, what's out. People may not want to believe it, but star wars would not have been this huge were it not for him.

Believe it or not. But Mark Hamil is doing mor 'acting' then all the protagonist in the new movies together.

In the old movies those fictional characters are coming to live on its own. (the effect of acting)

In the new movies you have ... that trainspotting guy, the girl form Leon, Shaft, Saruman and a bunch of muppets.

You have to be kidding me. ._.

If maybe, you had said one of the greater actors of the OT, your statement would seem the slightest bit more valid, instead of just coming across as a piece of **** that you just scooped from the toilet.

I watched the original movies, the first ones that people continuously boast are the greatest ones, before Lucas made his edits. In all honesty, I'm still going to side with the fact that they are all good movies. None are better than each other. Let's break it down.

Episode IV started it all. It brought us the entirety of Star Wars, not to mention the defining moment of Binary Sunset. If balances seriousness and comedy perfectly. Acting is superb and the shots are pleasing. The tingling sensation that flies through my spine when Luke fires his torpedoes is a feeling that's hard to reciprocate in more modern movies.

Episode V brought a new spin to Star Wars, the ******r and moodier side. It delved into lightsaber action a little more, became a little bit more detailed in it's storylines and delivered perhaps the greatest plot-twist of all time.

"No, I am your father!"

Episode VI brought us the Ewoks... Jokes aside, this brought it all to an end, it tied everything up peacefully, the final bout between Vader and Luke is just extraordinary, not as a fight of swords, but emotions. Vader's sacrifice and his final moments always made me cry. In all honesty, when I watch this movie, I truly understand the meaning of family, in just those few minutes between Luke and Vader at the end.

Episode I brought us to a new age of Star Wars, it showed us the pinnacle of the Republic. It showed us the glory of the Jedi and a new level in lightsaber combat. It gave us more insight into what things were before the Empire took over, gave us a sweet podrace sequence.(Despite it being so obvious that Anakin was going to win, he had to.) It showed us the sweet child like side of a person we never pictured in that aspect.

Episode II showed how something that seems to work so perfectly can fall apart so simply. It showed us the struggles of power and how to handle it. It delves into loss, how we handle our emotions. It gives us another fight scene that is done brilliantly, not forgetting to mention the fight of Yoda, the little guy who we had been dying to see in action. I'll admit, the love scenes are cheesy at times, but that doesn't make them bad, in my opinion I find their love to be sweet, in a strange, weird, teenager kind of way. But that's probably because I'm a little closer to their age than most people who originally watched the prequels, it's easier to understand something when you're surrounded by it. Also, the Clones are awesome and the war scenes towards the end are brilliant.

Episode III brought it all to close. Delivering the darkest, coldest and emotionally tearing movie of them all. Bring the 6 parts into a final culmination we find ourselves watching as we see the innocent boy of Tatooine turn into the dark lord we have grown to be afraid of. It shows us how Anakin tried to stay on the light side, overcoming his struggle with Obi-Wan and bonding with him, becoming friends. It shows how a person with pure intent can fall so far.

In the end, like plenty people have said and will say forever more, there is not 6 Star Wars movies, but 1.

GL made it clear from the very start that his movies were like the matinee(?) serials that used to play in cinemas, and that his view from the very beginning that these were all parts in a bigger scheme of things matches that.

actually Alan Dean Foster was if you wanna get technical... he wrote Splinter of the Mind's Eye which came out in 1978 and was the first EU novel... then of course there were the Marvel comics and games which are all part of the EU and came out all through the late 70s and 80s before Zahn's novels... but the REAL father of the EU I'd say was West End Games with their pen and paper RPG guides... hell even Zahn used them as guides when he was writing the Thrawn trilogy.. Zahn may have started the popularity of EU novels but he is far far from being the creator of the EU

Well, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was actually from a script George had done as a fallback sequel to ANH. And the fact that the story itself was retconned back to N-Canon speaks for itself. Same for the West End Games RPGs back in the day. Nothing in there survived as more than S-Canon.

I was referring to the actual C-Canon Expanded Universe. Tim Zahn used some S-Canon elements in his novels, but it was the first original story to NOT be retconned as the Marvel Star Wars comics were.

To clarify, S-Canon is elements from N-Canon stories that still have a place. Examples include the Cathar from The Holiday Special. Story is N-Canon, but the S-Canon elements are still viable for use in other C-Canon stories.

Oh, Mark Hamill is one of the most underrated actors in the biz. For his true talent, look at all the expressions that cross his face on Dagobah when he figures out that Leia is his sister. Priceless stuff right there.

Well, Splinter of the Mind's Eye was actually from a script George had done as a fallback sequel to ANH. And the fact that the story itself was retconned back to N-Canon speaks for itself. Same for the West End Games RPGs back in the day. Nothing in there survived as more than S-Canon.

I was referring to the actual C-Canon Expanded Universe. Tim Zahn used some S-Canon elements in his novels, but it was the first original story to NOT be retconned as the Marvel Star Wars comics were.

To clarify, S-Canon is elements from N-Canon stories that still have a place. Examples include the Cathar from The Holiday Special. Story is N-Canon, but the S-Canon elements are still viable for use in other C-Canon stories.

actually no... Alan Dean Foster wrote Splinter of the minds eye, the only parts you have right are that it was retconed (because it was written before ESB so it has major continuity errors) and it was originally supposed to be used as a low budget sequel if ANH didn't do well... which is why the entire book takes place on a planet covered in fog and Han isn't in it because Harrison Ford had not signed up to do a sequel yet... The author did say that his inspiration were early versions of the script for ANH he got to read but the actual story was entirely his writing... Alan Dean Foster also wrote the Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization even tho Lucas put his name on it...

as far as the West End game source books go Lucasfilm's current continuity policies have not removed West End Games material from the body of Star Wars canon... most of it is still C-canon (minus the statistics that are considered non-canon game mechanics) as it has never been contradicted or retconed... in fact a very very large portion of it has appeared in EU books as LucasArts and Lucas Licensing still tell authors to use them as guides and the second an element from them is put into a C-canon story they become C-canon... hell with how much of the EU novels came from WEG source books to drop them to C-canon right now you would have to retcon 1/2 or more of the EU novels also.. you also don't seem to understand how Lucas Licensing's canon system works ( Cathar are C-canon fyi)... I suggest you go look it up

also considering Dark Empire and the original Han solo trilogy all were made and came out around the same time as Heir to the Empire and are all still C-canon they can just as easily be pointed at as being at the beginning of the rise in popularity of the EU... C-canon just didn't start when Zahn released his trilogy... in fact Lucas Licensing didn't even start enforcing or keeping track of canon till years after... if you chose to ignore Splinter of the Mind's Eye because it was retconed out of existence than we will go with the EU starting with the story The Keeper's World, in Marvel Comics' Pizzazz magazine which was published in October 1977 with a comic remake in 1999 and is still C-canon... Zahn's trilogy was neither the start of the EU nor C-canon... It was at the forefront of the massive rise in popularity and flood of EU novels but that's it.. there are still tons of SW works that have never been retconed and are still C-canon that were published prior

Edited by Liquidacid

actually no... Alan Dean Foster wrote Splinter of the minds eye, the only parts you have right are that it was retconed (because it was written before ESB so it has major continuity errors) and it was originally supposed to be used as a low budget sequel if ANH didn't do well... which is why the entire book takes place on a planet covered in fog and Han isn't in it because Harrison Ford had not signed up to do a sequel yet... The author did say that his inspiration were early versions of the script for ANH he got to read but the actual story was entirely his writing... Alan Dean Foster also wrote the Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization even tho Lucas put his name on it...

as far as the West End game source books go Lucasfilm's current continuity policies have not removed West End Games material from the body of Star Wars canon... most of it is still C-canon (minus the statistics that are considered non-canon game mechanics) as it has never been contradicted or retconed... in fact a very very large portion of it has appeared in EU books as LucasArts and Lucas Licensing still tell authors to use them as guides and the second an element from them is put into a C-canon story they become C-canon...

also considering Dark Empire and the original Han solo trilogy all were made and came out around the same time as Heir to the Empire and are all still C-canon they can just as easily be pointed at as being at the beginning of the rise in popularity of the EU... C-canon just didn't start when Zahn released his trilogy... in fact Lucas Licensing didn't even start enforcing or keeping track of canon till years after... if you chose to ignore Splinter of the Mind's Eye because it was retconed out of existence than we will go with the EU starting with the story The Keeper's World, in Marvel Comics' Pizzazz magazine which was published in October 1977 with a comic remake in 1999 that are still canon... Zahn's trilogy was neither the start of the EU nor EU canon... It was at the forefront of the massive rise in popularity of EU novels but that's it

Not necessarily. S-Canon used in a C-Canon story is still S-Canon, with very few exceptions. "Jaster Mereel", for example. Originally written as Boba Fett's real name, that went down the toilet with Episode II. However, it was kept as an S-Canon alias he used while working as a cop on Concord Dawn, and was later reinstated as C-Canon when the actual character of Jaster Mereel was created.

Now, it was my understanding that the vast majority of the Marvel Star Wars comics had been retconned to S-Canon at most. As far as The Keeper's World goes, it may have been retconned out even with the Remake in 1999, since that was before the current Canon system was implemented. Remember, for years people thought The Holiday Special was T-Canon because it was on television.

And for the West End Games RPGs, it was also my understanding that they were now S-Canon at most. Unfortunately, we don't have a Holocron to look at, so it could go either way.

Now, as far as the only officially sanctioned N-Canon series out there, Infinities is it. Everything else in novel or comic form that is published must be at least C-Canon. Some things have been retconned as rumors (including the account of The Clone Wars as described in the Thrawn Trilogy), while the actual story remains C-Canon. G-Canon is George's World. C-Canon is Chee's world. We're just playing in it.

Heir was published in 1991. Dark Empire was published in 1992. Han Solo: The Paradise Snare was published in 1997. Even back then, they policed themselves as to keeping continuity with each series, and George was even listed as helping to keep it consistent. For a guy who later said he never read it, he sure did use quite a bit from the Expanded Universe in the prequels. Aayla Secura, Mandalorians, Coruscant, etc.

Not necessarily. S-Canon used in a C-Canon story is still S-Canon, with very few exceptions. "Jaster Mereel", for example. Originally written as Boba Fett's real name, that went down the toilet with Episode II. However, it was kept as an S-Canon alias he used while working as a cop on Concord Dawn, and was later reinstated as C-Canon when the actual character of Jaster Mereel was created.

Now, it was my understanding that the vast majority of the Marvel Star Wars comics had been retconned to S-Canon at most. As far as The Keeper's World goes, it may have been retconned out even with the Remake in 1999, since that was before the current Canon system was implemented. Remember, for years people thought The Holiday Special was T-Canon because it was on television.

And for the West End Games RPGs, it was also my understanding that they were now S-Canon at most. Unfortunately, we don't have a Holocron to look at, so it could go either way.

Now, as far as the only officially sanctioned N-Canon series out there, Infinities is it. Everything else in novel or comic form that is published must be at least C-Canon. Some things have been retconned as rumors (including the account of The Clone Wars as described in the Thrawn Trilogy), while the actual story remains C-Canon. G-Canon is George's World. C-Canon is Chee's world. We're just playing in it.

Heir was published in 1991. Dark Empire was published in 1992. Han Solo: The Paradise Snare was published in 1997. Even back then, they policed themselves as to keeping continuity with each series, and George was even listed as helping to keep it consistent. For a guy who later said he never read it, he sure did use quite a bit from the Expanded Universe in the prequels. Aayla Secura, Mandalorians, Coruscant, etc.

again no... S canon is secondary canon.. it is take it or leave it type stuff that is still considered canon at the moment but considered to "not fit anymore" so authors are free to retcon it without having to ask special permision like they do with C-canon elements ... all things that have not been retconed, specifically said to no longer be C-canon, or contradicted by something of higher level canon (G or T) that are in published works are C-canon... including almost every single WEG sourcebook... in fact WEG source books were the standard for canon before the Holocron and actually used to start it... Continuity was being maintained long before the current canon system was in place they just didn't have a published system of doing it as it was all done in-house and there were fewer works to deal with... a few of the items (mostly little character bios) in some of the WEG books were retconed when authors were aproved to use the character and redo their stories but the vast majority of them weren't (seeing as most WEG books have no story and are just lists of people places and things) and are actually used in many other novels and works... Hell almost all of the background material in Zahn's novels that weren't from the movies he took from WEG source books... The Keeper's World is still considered C-canon because it is a licensed work and nothing in it contradicts any of the higher canon (the 1999 comic remake followed the original story and made no changes) and because it is the written form it will always outrank the comic (just like the Shadows of the Empire written novel is canon above both the game and the comics even tho they all released around the same time and basically tell the same story)... also The Han Solo Adventures, which was the first Han Solo trilogy came out in 1992... you are thinking of the second Han Solo trilogy... S canon is still technically canon up until the point a C-canon work contradicts it at which time it becomes N-canon and everyone can ignore it... pretty much the only things classified as S-canon are old works that they know will be retconed by newer stories (like the late 70s and 80s marvel comics) but up until the day they are retconed they are full canon... since they don't announce it anymore tho for me and you S canon and C canon are functionally the same thing.. we don't even have any real way of knowing what Lucas Licensing considers which anymore because it's kept in house... but from our point of view they are both valid full canon until they are reconed so it doesn't really matter... in fact the ONLY level of canon that matters to us is N-canon... because from our point of view everything in the G, T, C, and S groups are the same... all are currently correct in the continuity and N-canon isn't... the G, T, C, and S groups only really matter to people writing or creating new EU works...

also I don't know anyone that ever thought The Holiday Special was T-Canon because it was on television... first the T-canon rating is very new to the system and second Lucas Licensing has flat out stated it wasn't canon way before the canon system was even ever in place

but again back to the original point... Zahn was not the creator of the EU nor are his works the first C-canon works even by today's system

Edited by Liquidacid

What does C-Canon, S-Canon and N-Canon mean? Are there more than those three?

Also, where were the Cathar in "The Star Wars Holiday Special"?

Edited by Jaavik

What does C-Canon, S-Canon and N-Canon mean? Are there more than those three?

Also, where were the Cathar in "The Star Wars Holiday Special"?

G: The movies, scripts, and novelizations of the movies. Also, any clarifications by George himself. His vision of Star Wars.

T: Television. Anything that's on TV that doesn't get retconned like the Holiday Special did. TCW is considered T-Canon, and is just a half step under G.

C: Continuity. Basically, if it doesn't directly contradict the movies and fits with everything else, it's considered C-Canon. The vision of Star Wars beyond the movies.

S: Secondary. Elements from (usually) N-Canon stories that still might fit if written differently. Cathar in the Holiday Special and the name "Jaster Mereel" after Episode II retconned that as Fett's "real" name. Even though the story was N-Canon, the name was kept around and used as his alias.

N: Non Canon. It might have been C or even T at one time, or in some cases even G-Canon. Best example is the Han/Greedo encounter in A New Hope. I hate it, but there it is. The original scene is now considered N-Canon.

Cathar are C canon because of their appearance in the KoTORs and then the OR novels

but ya I sympathize with you... some people just seem to not understand how the continuity system works for SW because it's very elaborate compared to other media projects... like ST canon (nothing in canon except the movies and shows and they contradict each other all the time.. sometimes even in the same series)... most of the times when I see people getting it wrong it seems like they are just trying to twist the rules to exclude something they personally don't like... or they mistake the fact that the continuity system was made for Lucas licensing to use and not for random fans to rule on... I look at them like Laws irl... while I can read them and understand them my opinion doesn't matter only a judge's (Lucas and his companies) can actually enforce them and only their opinions on them matter

but it shouldn't really matter because as far as we, the fans, are concerned everything that is any level canon except N is a fact as far as continuity is concerned... until something is retconed or declared N canon by the people Lucas appointed to deal with it or himself it's all valid

Cathar are C canon because of their appearance in the KoTORs and then the OR novels

but ya I sympathize with you... some people just seem to not understand how the continuity system works for SW because it's very elaborate compared to other media projects... like ST canon (nothing in canon except the movies and shows and they contradict each other all the time.. sometimes even in the same series)... most of the times when I see people getting it wrong it seems like they are just trying to twist the rules to exclude something they personally don't like... or they mistake the fact that the continuity system was made for Lucas licensing to use and not for random fans to rule on... I look at them like Laws irl... while I can read them and understand them my opinion doesn't matter only a judge's (Lucas and his companies) can actually enforce them and only their opinions on them matter

but it shouldn't really matter because as far as we, the fans, are concerned everything that is any level canon except N is a fact as far as continuity is concerned... until something is retconed or declared N canon by the people Lucas appointed to deal with it or himself it's all valid

Very true. Trek Canon actually does fit together a bit better though. Because of the ever-popular time/space distortions, time travel, and the parallel universes there, stuff is more acceptable and it fits about as well as comic book canon. Strange as it might sound, I like the multiverse concept popularized by DC Comics and their Crisis books. In ST, as in comic books, everything is Canon to a certain extent. Movies, TV series, comics, novels, games, etc.

It actually makes more sense than the pseudo-parallel universes of Star Wars. About the only deviation from the Star Wars Canon Plan that I've seen is their "Infinities" series (N-Canon) which greatly resembles Marvel's "What If?" series.

Is anyone else tired of all the Lucas bashing? I'm tired of people automatically equating the entire prequel trilogy with bad movies. Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise. There's an article on Cracked.com that takes it to a whole new level of stupid. Actually going out of it's way to state that Lucas doesn't deserve much credit for the original trilogy. HIS OWN CREATION!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

The article might as well have said that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit because he didn't do the special affects, act out all of the scenes, or write the movie score himself. The bottom line is, Lucas wrote all of Star Wars. The entire story was his brainchild.

No, we wont be "tired" of Lucas bashing until he is either dead, crucified, or he apologizes for everything ever done to star wars and Indiana Jones after Episode 6 and the Last Crusader. I do not think this is unfair because I am being incredibly lenient towards episode 6.

No, we wont be "tired" of Lucas bashing until he is either dead, crucified, or he apologizes for everything ever done to star wars and Indiana Jones after Episode 6 and the Last Crusader. I do not think this is unfair because I am being incredibly lenient towards episode 6.

That might be a little extreme. Yes, he screwed up fairly badly. But that hardly calls for a crucifixion. lol

Did the prequels suck hardcore? Yes, imo. Bad writing for interpersonal relationships and character development (as usual), even worse dialogue (as usual), and bad directing (yep, you guessed it. As usual). Now, as far as the larger scale story goes, he still did a great job. That and the special effects/lightsaber duels carried the prequels.

Now, I bash where bashing is due on George, so don't get me wrong. The way he handled the prequel fallout was childish to say the least. He refused to admit any mistake on his part except for his already self-admitted lack of ability to write dialogue. Film critics and fans alike were ticked off at George, and he lashed out at them, and emo/nerdRAGE/QUIT because he wasn't named God King of all Sci-Fi.

He's probably never going to apologize, even though we paid his kids' way through college. If he were to apologize, I would settle for a "Sorry I messed with the OT", but I doubt even that would happen. lol

Is anyone else tired of all the Lucas bashing? I'm tired of people automatically equating the entire prequel trilogy with bad movies. Including Episode III, the second best movie in the entire franchise. There's an article on Cracked.com that takes it to a whole new level of stupid. Actually going out of it's way to state that Lucas doesn't deserve much credit for the original trilogy. HIS OWN CREATION!

http://www.cracked.com/article_19576_6-pop-culture-visionaries-who-get-too-much-credit.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Movies+%26+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended

The article might as well have said that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit because he didn't do the special affects, act out all of the scenes, or write the movie score himself. The bottom line is, Lucas wrote all of Star Wars. The entire story was his brainchild.

Read a few pages, not worth reading the rest, sure there is plenty that point out the pros and cons of the angst against Lucas, maybe guessitmating here: 5-7 de-railings happening.

First. You're taking Cracked to seriously. Its a comical sight that finds real stories; as well they often create their own faux stories and "Claim this ***** is real yo!" adding in their own opinions, while following the basics of MLA style quotations so they don't get sued, because they can, will, and been known for horribly misquoting someone just for the sake of comedy.

Second. Lucas has been known to and just for the hell of it will bash himself and all of his past, present and future projects just to get a rise out of the public.

Third. Lucas has let negative, and redundant articles and bashing roll off his back for over 30years; I'm sure you can too.

Edited by RangKer

as I have said before about this If I was Lucas I would mail every angry nerd who bashed me online a picture of me laying in an Olympic size swimming pool full of 100 dollar bills while hugging a Jar Jar doll and smiling...

the man made millions upon millions off the prequels if you think he gives a damn who hates them while he is still to this day raking in cash hand over fist from them you're a fool

Hello everyone,

This is a heads up that we recently had to remove numerous posts for being off-topic. As a friendly reminder to everyone:

• Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Report, Don't Respond - Utilize the Report Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

If you have any questions about this message, feel free to contact us at CommunitySupport@swtor.com.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

:eek:

I never got the idea of picking favorite star wars films and hating on the others. To me it makes no sense, I personally love all the Star Wars movies from first to last they all were good in my opinion. Truthfully we all love star wars or we wouldn't be playing this game, so just enjoy the films you like and stop criticizing others.

Just enjoy Star Wars in general. ;)

-Fuzz