The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where does all the Burst from pyrotech come from?

NoTomorrow

Just a quick question, since i haven't yet played a pyro powertech. what is the source of their most burst damage they can do? Is it basically 90% armor reduction ignoring crit railshot? Edited by NoTomorrow

For sustained damage, the top 3 abilities:

Flame Burst

CGC

Railshot

For Burst

Railshot

TD

Practically all our abilities are Instant cast

For both sustained and burst, and since Railshot/PPA is the main mechanism of a Pyro, armor reducing talents are a must have.

There are basically 2 pyrotech builds. One that uses Thermal Detonator, and one that trades Thermal Detonator for an increase to Aim and "flame damage" Here are the burst rotations you're most likely to see. The damage numbers I've listed are estimated. If it's someone without any PvP gear the numbers are obviously much higher. Also keep in mind that this is just burst, a lot of this stuff will be on CD after being used.

8/8/25 spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhrbzGhM.1 -- Sustained is better due to improved heat management but some burst is sacrificed

PvP Adrenal (Pre-Fight start)

Surge/Crit Relic (Pre-Fight start)

Explosive Fuel (Pre-Fight start)

Thermal Sensor Override (Pre-Fight start)

Incindiary Missile - About 1k initial damage

Rail Shot - 4.2k crit

Rocket Punch (If no proc to refresh CD on Rail Shot hits, then use Flameburst until proc) - 2k crit

Rail Shot - 4.2k crit

Flame Burst - 1.8k crit

In total around 13k damage if everything crits (which it won't)

7/3/31 spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZ0cZfhrbdGhMs.1 -- Burst is better, but sustained is worse due to tougher heat management

PvP Adrenal (Pre-Fight start)

Surge/Crit Relic (Pre-Fight start)

Explosive Fuel (Pre-Fight start)

Incindiary Missile - About 800 initial crit damage

Thermal Detonator

Rail Shot - 3.7k crit

Rocket Punch (If no proc to refresh CD on Rail Shot, then use Flameburst until proc) - 1.8k crit + 5k crit from TD

Rail Shot - 3.7k crit

Flame Burst - 1k crit

In total around 16k damage if everything crits (which it won't)

8/8/25 spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhrbzGhM.1 -- Sustained is better due to improved heat management but some burst is sacrificed

Can you explain how this spec allows you to manage your heat better than x / 10-x / 31, what skills are causing this to be better at managing heat over time?

The only thing I see is that this is better sustained damage due to a higher Aim stat and 6% more damage per FB. I would also argue that this is much close sustained damage than you think due to the crit damage talent on TD. I would not run this spec in PVP unless I wanted to get laughed at by healers who are healing through my burst.

7/3/31 spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZ0cZfhrbdGhMs.1 -- Burst is better, but sustained is worse due to tougher heat management

What about the high tech/fire crit version of the same spec? The end result is about the same as 7/3/31 but chain crits are much more likely, which, as we all know, leads to more "nerf PTs" posts and healer tears in warzones.

Can you explain how this spec allows you to manage your heat better than x / 10-x / 31, what skills are causing this to be better at managing heat over time?

The only thing I see is that this is better sustained damage due to a higher Aim stat and 6% more damage per FB. I would also argue that this is much close sustained damage than you think due to the crit damage talent on TD. I would not run this spec in PVP unless I wanted to get laughed at by healers who are healing through my burst.

What about the high tech/fire crit version of the same spec? The end result is about the same as 7/3/31 but chain crits are much more likely, which, as we all know, leads to more "nerf PTs" posts and healer tears in warzones.

There are a few different variations of each spec, I didn't go into detail on each one since the post wasn't really about the different specs. I personally don't use either spec, but the two I listed gives a general idea.

The heat management is better on the non-31 pt. ability since it doesn't revolve around TD, which is a heat hog. If TD alone made the target be considered "burning" I'd be much more in favor of the 31 pt. spec's heat management. As it is you have to either also cast IM in addition to TM before using a rail shot, or you need to hit flame burst which may waste your free rail shot proc.

The heat management is better on the non-31 pt. ability since it doesn't revolve around TD, which is a heat hog. If TD alone made the target be considered "burning" I'd be much more in favor of the 31 pt. spec's heat management. As it is you have to either also cast IM in addition to TM before using a rail shot, or you need to hit flame burst which may waste your free rail shot proc.

I'm just going to cut into the middle of your DPS rotation, Ok?

Let's pretend that the target is burning already and your proc timer is going (this will happen 45% of the time after you have used FP on a target). Your choices are:

Use your Rail proc now. (means you're a baddie and will never kill anything that is being healed)

Use another FP (will proc another CGC) (seems like a bad choice if you want to save heat)

Use RP (will be on cooldown for next proc attempt)(seems bad again)

Use Unload (... I guess?)

Rapid Shots(hey, it's 0 heats!)

Or

Use TD to stack it with the damage from your next Rail Shot. (causes massive panic and yelling in Vent.)

The bottom line is this: if your target is not on fire you have not hit it with anything yet and are at 0 heat.

You are usually a source of mild frustration to my healers, so I don't want to make it any worse for them, explaining any further to you why you should take TD. Let me just leave you with this team speak conversation excerpt:

Malose: What spec is Ninja?

Algore: Pyro.

Malose: What spec are you?

Algore: Pyro.

Malose: There is no way he is the same spec as you.

procs, DoT's, <30% damage/crit.

tbh, my burst is horrible on my VG. i can SS, IP, IP, IP, IP (you get the point...and my RS doesn't refresh...

sometimes, RARELY, i get back to back procs...i don't get it.

i can 15k burst, or i can 1-3k for 12 seconds until RS refreshes...

very frustrating, sometimes.

There are a few different variations of each spec, I didn't go into detail on each one since the post wasn't really about the different specs. I personally don't use either spec, but the two I listed gives a general idea.

I dont agree that a TD spec is more heat intensive than a non TD, and I played Non-TD for a long time before 1.2.

Let's pretend that the target is burning already and your proc timer is going (this will happen 45% of the time after you have used FP on a target). Your choices are:

It's nice for you that your targets always already have an affect on them before you've attacked that allows you to use your railshot. Unfortunately this isn't always the case for me and sometimes I need to use an ability on the target I'm attacking that allows me to use my railshot on them.

I think you may be doing the community a dis-service by offering "advice". The general consensus on our server is that you're an okay dps while you have 2 pocket healers keeping you alive and that you're almost pug-bad when solo queuing.

Edited by ZeusThunder

It's nice for you that your targets always already have an affect on them before you've attacked that allows you to use your railshot. Unfortunately this isn't always the case for me and sometimes I need to use an ability on the target I'm attacking that allows me to use my railshot on them.

I think you may be doing the community a dis-service by offering "advice". The general consensus on our server is that you're an okay dps while you have 2 pocket healers keeping you alive and that you're almost pug-bad when solo queuing.

Being obsessed with getting a railshot out without having it be a PPA proc, is really a waste of focus. Only as an opener do I try get back to back RS, other than that it is really not worth thinking too much about. But I can see how you would be constantly trying to maximize every opportunity of a non-proc RS because your dont have TD. I just dont think it is an efficient route to take in PvP.

People really need to stop talking about this 30pt Pyrotech build without TD like its viable, because it's just not, no matter how you try to supermath us to death.

I don't care if you think you "have no problem killing healers without TD", your deff. not fighting the best healers your server has to offer than.

By not taking TD, you are more or less cutting a 3k+ spike off of every single one of your burst rotations. Even if, by some chance, some PERFECT rotation allows you to net all that dmg back on top of the other skills you are using, healers are going to laugh at you, simply because none of your "burst rotations" are going to hit nearly as hard.

People really need to stop talking about this 30pt Pyrotech build without TD like its viable, because it's just not, no matter how you try to supermath us to death.

I don't care if you think you "have no problem killing healers without TD", your deff. not fighting the best healers your server has to offer than.

By not taking TD, you are more or less cutting a 3k+ spike off of every single one of your burst rotations. Even if, by some chance, some PERFECT rotation allows you to net all that dmg back on top of the other skills you are using, healers are going to laugh at you, simply because none of your "burst rotations" are going to hit nearly as hard.

I think people are being too dramatic about this. Some people just prefer the 3 rail shot burst over the TD burst. They are both viable, it's not as if one is a super noob spec.