[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Was it after today's patch? I used to make lots of purples too, but now, after dozens of RE'ed items I can't get even a blue one :/
80 green guardian hilts to get the blue version, and that one turned to a purp one on first go.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, thanks for this guide it is really helpful, I didn't understand what [superior] meant at first!

A quick question : In order to achieve an artifact schematic (regardless of tier) does the prototype have to be critically crafted? (Ie augment slot)

Thanks

Question to Cybertechs, like me. Have any of you ever gotten the purple schematic for Potent Mod 22A? I have sacrificed over 40 of these buggers and no luck so far. :eek:

I am thinking it must be broken or does not exist. :mad:

Question to Cybertechs, like me. Have any of you ever gotten the purple schematic for Potent Mod 22A? I have sacrificed over 40 of these buggers and no luck so far. :eek:

Seems you are unucky like me as i said in my post above your i did 80 green RE´s prior to getting a blue. :)

I'm not sure to be honest. I started crafting 22A green mods to get any 22A prototype versions, but after 40+ crafts I have yet to discover any prototype versions. I also made roughly 30 prototype Reflex Armoring 22's and I have yet to get an artifact version of it aswell. I guess we both are really unlucky. ^^

Am I the only one that's annoyed by the fact that we can't craft the best modifications? Sofar the best modifications I seem to be able to craft are the 22's, and Illum seems to have 23's. According to torhead they go up all the way to 25, 25A and 25B, but I have no idea where to get them, or whether they even made it into the live version.

Also, has someone ever critically crafted any modifications? Or what about the supposed mastercraft modifications such as http://www.torhead.com/item/4OP8Fga/mastercraft-agile-mod-25

EDIT: Adding a link of a full list of supposed ingame mastercraft modifications, for those interested: http://www.torhead.com/items/catg/3/name/mastercraft

Edited by Arell

Hi there, thanks for this guide it is really helpful, I didn't understand what [superior] meant at first!

A quick question : In order to achieve an artifact schematic (regardless of tier) does the prototype have to be critically crafted? (Ie augment slot)

Thanks

No it doesn't. This is, however, a question I've seen before. May I ask what led you to ask this? Was it something in my guide, the wording or formatting? Because if I'm indicating that needs to happen I'd like to change it.

I'll try to go back and see if I can make the info on what [superior] means clearer in the guide.

Thanks!

Edited by Slaign

If I see someone spreading misinformation like the post above (no offense, I know you weren't trying to do so) I'll usually pause to point it out as incorrect and correct it.

That is exactly what I was hoping someone would do. I basically misinterpreted my own data by forgetting all about schematics that start off as blue. Sorry!

As for people thinking you're a dick, I certainly don't. Your work in this thread and guide's creation puts you into some of the highest ranks of my esteem. I can't tell you how many times I see someone starting their post with "I haven't read this thread/the guide/et cetera but..." Grr.

So again, thank you for pointing out my error. I appreciate it. =)

Cheers and keep up the good work!

I've just given the guide a full overhaul of minor revisions. There's no new information, so don't feel like you need to go back and re-read it. The changes are mostly wording and formatting. Most significant is I color coded every time I used the words Premium, Prototype, Artifact, Legendary and Custom.

I also changed the ordering of the subsections so that the Critical Crafting subsections came after the Reverse Engineering subsections. Some people seem to over-estimate the importance of critical crafting when my intent was just to give some extra information to help people out in understanding how to get the most out of their crafts.

Keep the feedback coming, and if you're feeling industrious, go read through the guide and find anywhere where I say something along the lines of "I don't know," and see if you can do some research on the subject. Make sure to let us know what you find out! :)

Edited by Slaign

Hey man, great guide. We just addressed this in the Armormech guide, but most people are using the terminology Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 to refer to levels of item within a family instead of Base, Tier 1, and Tier 2 as you do in the guide. Since we've seen some confusion in other threads, would you be interested in adjusting to this terminology for simplicity and consistency's sake?

just what i was looking for. pure awsomeness. time consuming, but interesting i think for ppl who are looking toward the future when more schematics show up (maybe). question though:

The way i read this, as you upgrade an item its only going to look like the very first item?

so if i dont really like the look of an item i should look for some similar schematic before REing it all the way up? thanks, if my question made sense.

@Slaign

was merely pointing out that being able to RE store bought orange moddable items to get a schematic had no place on the OP. Saying something like not confirmed would be sufficient enough information. I read this post every day and i know you update it frequently, i should have reworded it to direct my claim.

Edited by ISpartanVI

Ok, i just hit 400/400 in crafting and now can learn Orange schematics from the Trainer.

The question is: how can I improve on these schematics? is there any way to get a [superior] schematic with more stats?

Is RE viable for Orange crafted items to discover updated versions?

just what i was looking for. pure awsomeness. time consuming, but interesting i think for ppl who are looking toward the future when more schematics show up (maybe). question though:

The way i read this, as you upgrade an item its only going to look like the very first item?

so if i dont really like the look of an item i should look for some similar schematic before REing it all the way up? thanks, if my question made sense.

Correct. The item appearance on your character or minion- er, companion will be the same no matter how many times you upgrade the schematic.

No it doesn't. This is, however, a question I've seen before. May I ask what led you to ask this? Was it something in my guide, the wording or formatting? Because if I'm indicating that needs to happen I'd like to change it.

I'll try to go back and see if I can make the info on what [superior] means clearer in the guide.

Thanks!

It wasn't your guide specifically which led me to ponder on this - more the case that I had pre-misconceptions on how the whole system worked and after reading your guide it didn't seem to have any mention of whether the RE'd item had to be a critical craft in order to recieve a new schematic.

Also I never really paid much attention to whether or not the item was critically crafted when I went on to RE it for a new schematic. Hence asking the question incase I was making the mistake of destroying none-critical crafts in hopes of a new schematic.

Again thanks very much for the guide. I really feel the game lacks on information when it comes to crafting - the amount of players asking about crafting is very high! (including myself yesterday!)

But now, all I need to do is link them here!

Thanks again

Ash

Hey man, great guide. We just addressed this in the Armormech guide, but most people are using the terminology Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 to refer to levels of item within a family instead of Base, Tier 1, and Tier 2 as you do in the guide. Since we've seen some confusion in other threads, would you be interested in adjusting to this terminology for simplicity and consistency's sake?

I can't say I've heard a whole lot of discussion on RE tiers outside of this thread, so if as you claim, "most" people are using certain terms, I'd probably change it as that becomes evident. So far I haven't seen anyone using that phraseology though. I'm also not overly concerned with matching up with other places, because I think the guide is pretty clear on what the terms used mean in the context of the guide, and I'm more concerned with internal consistency within this thread.

I've been using this terminology since the guide went up during early access, and if I change it people reading though the rest of the thread will get confused as most people in this thread are using my terminology. Also, if I change it now, it may lead to confusion among people in this thread who have grown used to these terms and continue using them.

Personally, I prefer my terms as well, because to me, the Tiers refer specifically to the prefix system. For the linear system, the terms Premium, Prototype, and Artifact work just fine, since that's all there is to it. For the prefix system, an item only becomes a prefix item when it gains a prefix, in my mind. Thus the first upgrade garners a "Tier 1 Prefix" and the second garners a "Tier 2 Prefix." A base item is just that, a base item with no prefix of any tier, so if anything I'd call it Tier 0.

I'd kinda think this guide sets the precedent as well, like I said we've been here since Early Access, and we're coming up on 600 posts and 200k views, that's a lot of people that have already read and digested the information as presented.

That said, the difference is academic. I'll leave it up to the people who post in my thread. If you care either way, reply to let me know if you want me to keep what we have here already for consistency, or if you think the 3 Tier naming scheme makes more sense.

can an Artifact item be a base item? (neither T1 nor T2)

and would RE this base item have a chance to proc into T1 ?

(i got it from buying a Blue schematic from the GTN and did a RE on it, to get an Artifact version. But it's not T1/T2)

Edited by Descento

can an Artifact item be a base item? (neither T1 nor T2)

and would RE this base item have a chance to proc into T1 ?

(i got it from buying a Blue schematic from the GTN and did a RE on it, to get an Artifact version. But it's not T1/T2)

Can you give more information about the item itself? I've never heard of any artifact base item being RE'd into a prefix item, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Still, I've especially never heard of, and would be very surprised by, an item that RE's linearly, and then changes to branch down the prefix path.

My guess is you are dealing with a linear upgrade item, perhaps a mod or stim? Get back to me with more info and I'll try to be of more help.

i have been crafting Orange armor from a schematic i found form pve in an attempt to create a critical craft to see if i get an augment slot, i can not RE this item. I assume this is a general thing, but if is item dependent, i dont know.

That's correct, orange items cannot be RE'd. There is a bug where if they contain a rating mod, they become eligible for RE, but this is an error and there is no benefit, as far as we know.

That really has nothing to do with critical crafting, however. I'm still interested in seeing if critting on an orange item is possible or not. I've been working on it myself as possible, but have yet to earn a crit. I'm not prepared to write it off completely, but the more people who post saying they regularly craft oranges and have not seen a crit the more I think it's just not possible despite earlier reports.

Can you give more information about the item itself? I've never heard of any artifact base item being RE'd into a prefix item, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. Still, I've especially never heard of, and would be very surprised by, an item that RE's linearly, and then changes to branch down the prefix path.

My guess is you are dealing with a linear upgrade item, perhaps a mod or stim? Get back to me with more info and I'll try to be of more help.

Oh sorry, it's not a Base item after all. It has a Critical prefix, so i guess it's T1.

Still, it's not [superior] like i want it to be.

We need more info on the [superior] thing. I have T1 (Critical / Overkill) Artifact schematics that are NOT [superior]. I need to know how to get those T1 schematics to become [superior] .

EDIT: wait, i just re-read the first page.

So [superior] just means that the item/schematic is Tier 2 ? And in order to get it i need to keep RE Tier 1 version?

Edited by Descento

EDIT: wait, i just re-read the first page.

So [superior] just means that the item/schematic is Tier 2 ? And in order to get it i need to keep RE Tier 1 version?

correct.

I know we don't know, but I was wondering how much research was done on base-Artifact grade items ("Rakata" pieces & instance dropped recipes).

I've made my belt and bracers (no crits) and am considering doing more and see what happens.

@Slaign

correct, but in no way did i insinuate that crit crafting had anything to do with REing, it was an example ment for Descento's post on the previous page. i did RE orange armor that i bought from commendation vendor and all i got was some materials. Nice to know that this is a bug since it had mods in it.

Also i have had WAY more success REing in bulk ( like 7 to 10 ) opposed to 2-3 here in there. I wonder if this has the same affect for crit crafting and if anyone has had the same experience with this as me.

Mastercraft is an artifact item crafted with a critical success. This grants it an augment slot. Any lower quality item than artifact (green or blue colors) that gets a critical success would have the [Exceptional] tag after it, I believe.

Close, Mastercraft seems to be T2 with bonus stats and an Augment Slot.

Exceptional is any item with an Augment Slot.

http://i.imgur.com/qBa5g.jpg

Edited by Lemon_King