How useful or useless is Courage?

As usual I am jumping from one spec to the other over and over again, trying mainly to Tank PvE.

Currently I am trying a full Defense Tank Spec and been doing it both with and without Courage, and just don't seem to find any difference between having it and not having it.

So, do you guys put points in Courage or no? why?

A lot of the use of courage is built along the assumption that you have a reasonable amount of defense to parry and deflect with. With a setup that allows for a constant 12% defense boost its possible that you run in most battles with courage stacked for most of it.

I think on a level of synergy courage is actually going to be really good for the defense spec'ed guardian. You're going to want to be using Blade Storm as often as possible so that you can keep your blade barrier up whenever you can. Also, there is the fact that Soresu form generates less focus than other saber forms. So it's going to be useful simply for the fact that it saves your focus cost on an ability that you'll always want to be spamming. The trick is parrying and defending attacks. You SHOULD have high enough defensive stats to be able to continually generate stacks of courage. If I ever respec to defense this is definitely an ability that I'll be trying out.

Keeping in mind that my assessment is entirely based on theory and in no way shape or form based on putting it into practice. I've never tried it so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I don't have a level 50 guardian (although he is getting close) so I can't speak for how effective it is for highly geared guardians but my experience leveling has been that for every time I use storm+sweep it saves me around 4 focus. So while it doesn't technically work out this way think of it as making it free to use blade storm. This is of course, reliant on the RNG so while I feel like saying 4 stacks of courage per 7 focus spent on the two abilities is about average it will go up and down in any individual fight.

Also note that I've been primarily soloing him, fighting a pack of trash probably gives you more chances to proc a charge of focus then fighting one boss. (Although even in 1 on 1 fights with elites I haven't had a problem keeping force sweep, blade storm, and guardian slash firing on CD, without having to use combat focus)

Currently I am trying a full Defense Tank Spec and been doing it both with and without Courage, and just don't seem to find any difference between having it and not having it.

The reason you don't notice the difference is because there isn't much difference. You just get a free move every 10 seconds or so instead of paying 3-4 focus.

I've been playing a defense guardian since the game released and i don't see any reason not to get it. I've even been playing with a new spec for the past few weeks(Link Here) because I haven't been happy with blade barrier and its 4 piece set bonus, so i don't ever use blade storm unless i'm out of range. Even with this spec/rotation not using blade storm, courage is still very useful for a free sweep every time sweep is off cool-down (12 seconds in my spec).

Overall i'd say if you're going for a 31 pt defense build there's not really anything else good to get, and because of that there is no reason not to get it. With decent defense gear you'll have a 3 stack up around every cool-down of either blade storm or sweep, leaving more focus to spend on other moves.