Why does Obi-Wan seem more powerful?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Anakin had no Beard. Obi-Wan was One With The Beard!

And add the fact that he was trolling him throughout the entire battle. Anakin was using a lightsaber form that was incredibly susceptible to Trollesu. That compounded with the Beard Power makes Obi-Wan nearly unstoppable. It was only when John Williams decided it was Obi-Wan's time to go that he was defeated. Even then, Obi-Wan was still trolling Vader.

I watched their battle again, Obi Wan's Ataru Form helped him more than Soresu did, you can see he started to jump around during the middle of the fight and gained the high ground in the end.

He never used ataru in that fight. He was always using soresu.

And add the fact that he was trolling him throughout the entire battle. Anakin was using a lightsaber form that was incredibly susceptible to Trollesu. That compounded with the Beard Power makes Obi-Wan nearly unstoppable. It was only when John Williams decided it was Obi-Wan's time to go that he was defeated. Even then, Obi-Wan was still trolling Vader.

As Obi-Wan got in the last word as a Force Ghost in Vader's ear: "HA! Now I'm truly One With The Beard, nublet! Oh, and I'm nekkid now!!!! N00by n00by n00blet!!! Trollololololololol!!

Vader: NooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!

By the time of that duel, Obi-wan had incorporated numerous styles into his use of Soresu. While Soresu was the major contributing factor in his style, he also used elements from Ataru, Niman, Shi-cho, and had to hand combat techniques. He merged all of those into his personal variant of Soresu. Kind of like how Vader later on used elements from many different styles in his style of Form V.

The nerdspeak about lighsaber styles in this thread hits the point of the problem that the OP speaks to... We hear that Anakin is powerful, but we rarely see it. He only wins a duel against Dooku, who might be great but looks about 70 years old. Supposedly in one of the books or comics or whatever they talk about him going to the Jedi Academy right after the scene where he turns and pwning a ton of Jedi including some serious masters. But the average viewer doesn't read that crap. Even the average Star Wars fan doesn't get into the expanded universe. They don't know about lightsaber forms. They saw Anakin sucker punch Mace Windu's arm off, kill a bunch of children and then fight Obi-Wan to a stalemate before getting chopped to bits. Not the almighty Sith Lord he was in A New Hope. Of course, in the beginning of Episode 3, Obi-Wan tells Palpatine that Sith Lords are their specialty, only this particular Sith Lord chopped both their arms off last time they fought. So it could just be bad writing.

I think Vader says it best in A New Hope. "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master." Anakin was always arrogant. Obi-Wan was less flashy but more experienced and got the job done. He was certainly no slouch.