Server merges/transfers and group queues is NOT the solution

hulkweazel

People that think all of SWTOR's problems will be solved from this will be in for a rude awakening. It's a bandaid fix to a larger problem. The problem is the same problem that plagues any single player game - once you're done with the content, you become bored of it.

The main draw of SWTOR is the story aspect. Don't get me wrong - it's very well done and I really enjoyed my time leveling to 50. The first time, maybe even the second time. But for an Multiplayer game to succeed, there NEEDS to be replayability. The preset path players take in SWTOR leaves very little replayability, even with a different main storyline.

I have no problem getting groups as I have a guild that enjoys playing together. We are all bored of the game because we've already completed the story and the content. Server merges and a group finder will prolong the game's life a little, but in the end run, people will still end up leaving, just at a slightly slower pace.

So why are you still here on the forums?

Because the forums are more fun than the game? :)

I have not logged into the game for days either, you can only play a game so much before it gets boring, but posting here and reading the forums is more fun right now.

Edited by Iron_Lord
Added more...

People that think all of SWTOR's problems will be solved from this will be in for a rude awakening. It's a bandaid fix to a larger problem. The problem is the same problem that plagues any single player game - once you're done with the content, you become bored of it.

The main draw of SWTOR is the story aspect. Don't get me wrong - it's very well done and I really enjoyed my time leveling to 50. The first time, maybe even the second time. But for an Multiplayer game to succeed, there NEEDS to be replayability. The preset path players take in SWTOR leaves very little replayability, even with a different main storyline.

I have no problem getting groups as I have a guild that enjoys playing together. We are all bored of the game because we've already completed the story and the content. Server merges and a group finder will prolong the game's life a little, but in the end run, people will still end up leaving, just at a slightly slower pace.

It's more of a feature problem than content problem. They have provided more content since release, but where are the features? There are a lot of players, inactive and active, who have not seen all the Flashpoints due to grouping issues. Sure, you can join Guilds and make friends, but they all have to be online at the same time in order to group up. Casual players are not online all the time so they face grouping problems more than anyone, that's why they're leading the charge in this exodus.

Nonsense.

You are pretending that there will never be new patched content to this still new MMO.

Perhaps a little history romp through other MMOs would be in order for you. See, what they do is launch, then patch new content over time, followed by expansions, rinse and repeat. As with other MMOs, so it will be with this one.

Now, if that model is fundamentally flawed for your play style and needs, then you need to find something other then MMOs to play.

Some people just should not play MMOs. They should stick to FPS single player games. You sound to me like this type of player. OR, if you are in fact an MMO player..... DON'T SUB TO BRAND NEW MMOS, AND THEN QQ ABOUT HOW THEY DON'T HAVE YEARS OF CONTENT FOR YOU TO CONSUME. Sub, late and play catchup to the content a year or two down the road.

As for server transfer and closing dead servers afterwords..... it is needed, and it is healthy for both the player base and for Bioware.

This would indeed be cause for concern, if this was all that BW was going to do about the problem. Legacy will, at some point, include options for other ways to level your character without having to endure any quests aside from your class story quests (you will probably be able to skip even them, but there is less point to that). I'm talking about the options to increase xp gains from things like flashpoints, pvp and space missions.

Also, BW has stated that the class stories will be built upon, that may be the very reason that once you complete your class story the text during load screen as you log in has the heading "interlude". Hopefully these things combined will help.

Also I would like to state that having servers with a very low population is very damaging in itself, it drives new players and old ones alike away from the game. The sooner they get server transfers up and running and start closing down the empty/near empty servers the better.

Edited by Runeshard

Please lets not act like this is anything different than any other game. It was the same in EQ, WOW, EQ2 and every game since then. Post like this and most of the others have been on every games forums since they started putting up forums. The funny part is I have a friend who rarely makes it past the 3 month mark without getting bored and he is still here.

What it comes down to is whether you like the setting, if you do then you find ways of mixing it up to allow for more replayability otherwise you get bored and leave. I personally am still enjoying the game a great deal even with 3 50s, 2 40s and 3 mid 30 characters. I also play both imperial and republic on two different servers, hopefully one day they will give us 16 slots then i can combine them.

You either enjoy the core of a game or you grow bored. Wow was the game that bored me but usually i last in a game for 1 year then another year of playing it off and on while playing something else. Technically if you count beta I am past the 1 year mark and no interest in anything else yet.

It's a fair point - SWTOR draws a lot of people that aren't fans of MMOs because of the Star Wars content, and the content lacks replay value even compared to say, the KOTOR series. I suppose in theory the Legacy system is supposed to help, and it certainly does at the points in the game where it does the work for you and provides convenient shortcuts and abilities to make things easier. A lot of it seems overly complicated and half-baked as of now.

I suspect you're right - the dead servers wouldn't deter nearly as many hard-core MMO gamers as the tediousness of re-rolling would alienate casuals. I'd guess casuals who leveled a 50 or two over the past five months are leading the exodus. It'll be interesting to see where things stabilize, especially since there's not even rumors of an expansion.

Edited by jgelling

Nonsense.

You are pretending that there will never be new patched content to this still new MMO.

Perhaps a little history romp through other MMOs would be in order for you. See, what they do is launch, then patch new content over time, followed by expansions, rinse and repeat. As with other MMOs, so it will be with this one.

Now, if that model is fundamentally flawed for your play style and needs, then you need to find something other then MMOs to play.

Some people just should not play MMOs. They should stick to FPS single player games. You sound to me like this type of player. OR, if you are in fact an MMO player..... DON'T SUB TO BRAND NEW MMOS, AND THEN QQ ABOUT HOW THEY DON'T HAVE YEARS OF CONTENT FOR YOU TO CONSUME. Sub, late and play catchup to the content a year or two down the road.

As for server transfer and closing dead servers afterwords..... it is needed, and it is healthy for both the player base and for Bioware.

Uh, no.

I understand how MMOs work. It's quite clear that you do not, however.

Yes, content is important. Yes, there is always going to be new content being released. But it takes more than that to keep a playerbase going. It takes an interactive world where it's not just raiding Operations every week. It takes replayability in which players have a reason and a desire to keep playing despite seeing all the content.

Why do you think there is a huge dropoff every content update? After 1.2, numbers were strong - for a week. Then it dropped yet again. There's no replayability in the content. There's nothing worthwhile to do outside of raiding.

I have not logged into the game for days either, you can only play a game so much before it gets boring, but posting here and reading the forums is more fun right now.

^This. :eek:

Also a fun pass time at work. :D

Edited by Urael

This isn't a problem at all. When you are bored of the content, why would stick around? Playing any kind of online game means you are going to play the same content over and over again. This hasn't changed since MMOs started. If anything the amount of content has gone up exponentially since the earliest online titles.

You can't expect to hang with ANY MMO unless you don't mind repetition. I'm sorry there is just no way around it. I feel your pain. I have played tons of MMOs and very few I've stuck with for more than a month. The trick is finding one you really like or just accept the fact that you are going to be MMO hoping (if you love the genre).

Edited by Monthigos

No offense man...but I am sure you can find more constructive things to do with your life. If posting on this forum is better than playing the game I suggest another hobby. There is plenty to do in real life.

Why am I here? Acting constructively to improve the game.

To be fair, IMHO the devs went a bit overboard with the sheer number of servers, but come to think of it, it was "better safe than sorry" - it would suck if the first reviews started with "due to not enough servers, we're just not able to play this game". Also, I've seen MMO games that folded three months after release, despite "never been tried before" gimmicks, and games that I thought would fold years ago but are still going despite having no storyline or quest system whatsoever. SWTOR may not have bells and whistles, but it's a solid performer - just give it time.

Hulkweazel, I see you have three characters at max level. Mind if I ask how long did it take you and how "hardcore" a gamer you are? In the sense of dedication/time spent playing daily/etc.?

Edited by SeriouslyMike
Ninja'd by three posters posting while I was gathering thoughts, edited for clarification.

I understand how MMOs work. It's quite clear that you do not, however.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I have been playing them for years and I do know how they work.

It takes an interactive world where it's not just raiding Operations every week. It takes replayability in which players have a reason and a desire to keep playing despite seeing all the content.

LMAO. Once again, don't subscribe to brand new MMOs if you are intolerant of them during their post launch growth phase (something common to ALL MMOS).

Why do you think there is a huge dropoff every content update.

There are a lot of reasons as to why, and it's not all about why you don't like the game and will leave.

There's no replayability in the content. There's nothing worthwhile to do outside of raiding.

Nonsense, and more Nonsense. Just because you can't (or refuse to) find anything to do in game after you level cap a character that does not indite the play experience of the other million plus players still subscribed to play this game.

Believe it or not, you don't speak for all players. You speak for yourself. Which is fine. But don't try to prosecute sweeping generalizations as to what the game has to offer players, just because you are bored.

Unsub and go find that magic MMO that won't bore you.

Edited by Andryah

I never understood this.

I played the beta of GW2 for a week. After that week I uninstalled the game, logged out of the forums, and haven't been back since.

If you like to spend your precious time hatin' on a games forum that you don't even play anymore, more power to you.

Hopefully when you grow up a little more you will realize just how precious each and every moment is and you will regret the time and energy you wasted doing this.

This isn't a problem at all. When you are bored of the content, why would stick around? Playing any kind of online game means you are going to play the same content over and over again. This hasn't changed since MMOs started. If anything the amount of content has gone up exponentially since the earliest online titles.

You can't expect to hang with ANY MMO unless you don't mind repetition. I'm sorry there is just no way around it. I feel your pain. I have played tons of MMOs and very few I've stuck with for more than a month. The trick is finding one you really like or just accept the fact that you are going to be MMO hoping (if you love the genre).

...so now we're going BW's approach and blaming the loss of subs on the players, eh? The fact that the numbers on my fleet dropped from 200+ at the start of 1.2 to less than 20, all the player's fault!

Let me ask you this: Did you get bored of Mass Effect after beating it once? Or Dragon Age? For most people, the answer is yes. That's because the content is in the storyline. Do you understand now? Doesn't matter if SWTOR comes out with new content, the way it's designed, people will play it a couple times and get bored. This is why there is always such a sharp dropoff after content is released.

No offense man...but I am sure you can find more constructive things to do with your life. If posting on this forum is better than playing the game I suggest another hobby. There is plenty to do in real life.

Why am I here? Acting constructively to improve the game.

Yes, telling people with differing viewpoints that they don't have enough to do with their lives because they are posting on an open forum is extremely constructive.

Keep up the hard work, I can see why the game is circling the drain with such constructive people keeping it afloat.

Believe it or not, you don't speak for all players. You speak for yourself. Which is fine. But don't try to prosecute sweeping generalizations as to what the game has to offer players, just because you are bored.
...And yet you make sweeping generalizations about me and try to speak for me. LMAO.

I don't need to speak for other players. The sub numbers and drop in activity speaks for itself. But keep thinking it's my own fault for getting bored of the game (As well as everyone else that unsubbed).

The OP is correct, the empty servers is not the problem - it's merely a symptom. The real problem is the game, it has nothing to retain casual or hardcore players. It's been 5 months, plenty of time for the developers to address issues. Basic features such as LFG tools, UI customization, /roll, etc have only recently begun to be pushed out or "soon", which is a joke to be quite honest.

The game should have never been released until it was ready to have everything up to 1.3 ready to go on release day.

Don't compare this game to WoW's 2004 launch, this is 2012 and people have alternatives to their time and money. The 25% decrease in subs (probably much more given the fact that many original subs were extended for free) is a hard testament to what I've said.

Now for constructive points - 1.3 needs to come out in may

-Needs LFG tool

-Cross realm PVP/LFG - OR - server shut down/merges

-An operation (for the raiders)

-More legacy stuff (for the alt people,casuals)

-Rated warzones (PVP'ers)

-Another flashpoint (for everyone)

Unfortunately 1.3 has been kept quiet and it's "lean". I'm sorry Bioware, "Late summer" will not cut it. You need stuff out before June.

Greetings Everyone,

We currently have threads on our forums covering the discussion of server merges, character transfers and a group finder feature. To help us organize discussion, please use the following threads:

FREE Character Transfers are Coming!

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

Dungeon Finder Needed Badly

Feel free to continue discussion on these topics in the provided threads, doing so will help to keep the forums organized for the community.

As a reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct to:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.