Rebellion Era Novels (pre-RotJ)

LeeC

Hello,

I wanted to know if there are any GOOD books out there from the rebellion era. I am talking about between 2 BBY- 4y ABY? Excluding the force unleashed novels and shadows of the empire (Played the games, not really interested in reading what I played). I know of some good novels afterwards but wasnt sure if there are any good books that take place during this time frame.

:csw_xwing:

Shame you are not interested in reading the books of those games you played. Shadows of the Empire makes a much better book than game.

Come to think of it I never finished SotE. I kept getting lost in the sewers under coruscant. I may pick it up if you think its really good. Any others?

There were surprisingly few novels written during the Rebellion era. Most of them came afterwards, until the PT, then prequels became all the rage. But, let's see...

Shadows of the Empire,

Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Very first SW novel ever written, after A New Hope, before we find out about Luke and Leia being siblings - not a great book, but entertaining enough),

Tales from... These were a numberof books containing short stories. You had the Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace, the Empire, and a few others. Jabba's Palace has some quality stories in it, and an impressive reason for the huge explosion that ripped apart Jabba's sail barge on RotJ (or did you really think that a single shot from a vehicle scale blaster cannon would do it?).

Pre-Rebellion you have the Han Solo trilogy and the Lando Calrissian trilogy. Lando's is more aimed towards kids though, short stories, easy reading type books, but the Han Solo trilogy is a good introduction to Solo's life.

That's about all I can think of for now, but if I remember more, I'll come and post them.

Allegiance and Choices of One. Two novels written by Zahn that take place in between ANH and ESB, Focusing around a group of renagade stormtroopers, as well as Mara Jade:D while she was the emporers hand.

As Zahn wrote them I can tell you without spoiling anything that they are, pretty darn good.

Allegiance and Choices of One. Two novels written by Zahn that take place in between ANH and ESB, Focusing around a group of renagade stormtroopers, as well as Mara Jade:D while she was the emporers hand.

As Zahn wrote them I can tell you without spoiling anything that they are, pretty darn good.

They are two books I've not managed to get my hands on. i was shocked to discover there were 'extra' novels in between Outbound Flight and Heir to the Empire.

Allegiance and Choices of One take place immediately following the Battle of Yavin. They are written by Timothy Zahn - author of the Thrawn trilogy and duology - and features all the significant characters he introduced in those books at an earlier time: Senior Captain Thrawn, Commander Pelleon, and Emperor's Hand Mara Jade.

Then there is Shadows of the Empire.

And while Wookieepedia says that the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy takes place 4years ABY...

it does start with Boba Fett shooting his way out of the Sarlacc.

...it is really a series of flashbacks involving Boba Fett (He's the protagonist).

Allegiance and Choices of One take place immediately following the Battle of Yavin. They are written by Timothy Zahn - author of the Thrawn trilogy and duology - and features all the significant characters he introduced in those books at an earlier time: Senior Captain Thrawn, Commander Pelleon, and Emperor's Hand Mara Jade....

One suggestion I might make of the Zahn novels is to read them in publication order and not the order that they are slotted into the timeline.