If only SWTOR was advertised as a single player game...

hulkweazel

My friend and I walk through eachother's class quests.

YES, there is an option to enter other class areas and watch their story. Its actually rather cool.

That actually does sound cool. If you were a JK/JC, you'd get to see both stories as you play. Nice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That actually does sound cool. If you were a JK/JC, you'd get to see both stories as you play. Nice.

That's exactly how my wife and I played. It was great.

Also, three Jedi and a healer can unleash some SERIOUS whoop*** on bad guys.

We just unsubbed together. We will go play another game together. There's just no point in sticking with SWTOR since we beat the single player and we beat the co-op already.

Which is YOUR problem.

I do wish Bioware had made leveling up a longer process. I think the entire "race to level cap/game begins at endgame" mindset is a hideous plague that ruins games, and I wish I could kill it with sweet, cleansing fire.

This a single-player hub game with multiplayer features.

Instances and load screens at ever turn.

Fact is this game should have never been labelled as an MMO.

Fact.

Not opinion.

Fact.

My butt is sweet to kiss.

Fact.

Not opinion.

Fact.

Just because I put the word "fact" in a post does not make that post factual.

Edited by MMornard

My friend and I walk through eachother's class quests.

YES, there is an option to enter other class areas and watch their story. Its actually rather cool.

I avoid this as much as possible because I don't want spoilers for when I do play the class

I have a feeling that the "SWTOR is a single-player game" complaint meme mostly has to do with a) PVP warzone queue times and b) lower warzone/op participant limits than longtime MMO players want.

The first issue might be addressed with transfers and LFGs, although everying seems to be whining about those before they're even implemented.

The second issue is something people will either just have to deal with or go looking elsewhere.

Its not a single player game, just full of dumb people. You get better exp/completion time/money/social points from grouping up. There is no reason not to group. NONE. If you're worried about spoilers, agree to split up and do your story quests solo.

I think the entire "race to level cap/game begins at endgame" mindset is a hideous plague that ruins games, and I wish I could kill it with sweet, cleansing fire.

Yes. So lame.

Edited by Lu_Bei

I grind my character out of the SOLO grinding part 1-49 just to start my MMO experience, but what i got? a ghost fleet and a 10 players guild out from 300. I don't understand why people enjoy to pay a monthly fee just to grind a character over and over, MMO should be about MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER end game content and large scale PVP, not as a massive grind fest.

Using the argument of group content exists therefore MMO makes as much sense as saying space combat exists therefore this is Rebel Assault III.

The game was designed like a single player game.

Things like level design, itemization and rewards and story all revolve around you being by yourself going to your area and then you save the planet never needing anyone else to help you and are given all the best rewards by way of commendations and orange gear.

FFS the story tells you that you alone did all of these awesome things all by yourself, its like playing Fable!

I grind my character out of the SOLO grinding part 1-49 just to start my MMO experience, but what i got? a ghost fleet and a 10 players guild out from 300. I don't understand why people enjoy to pay a monthly fee just to grind a character over and over, MMO should be about MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER end game content and large scale PVP, not as a massive grind fest.

Why didn't you team up with people on the way? Maybe, then, you'd have people to play with when you hit 50. You're not playing WoW. There is no 1-49 grind, 1-49 is the game and 50 is the ENDGAME.

Why didn't you team up with people on the way? Maybe, then, you'd have people to play with when you hit 50. You're not playing WoW. There is no 1-49 grind, 1-49 is the game and 50 is the ENDGAME.

Of course i grouped with people while leveling, but that 1-49 where almost a single player experience with some cooperative campaigns from time to time but nothing wow, "the expresion, no the world of wacraft". This game have great potential for ENDGAME content for its graphics and combat animation, but they utilized all their resources into making it more like a monthly paid single player experience for altaholics than a game where you have to group in a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER manner to make high end bosses and massive PVP.

• 2 weeks later...
And how exactly is a game like WoW more "alive"?

If I am not in org or storm, I rarely ever see another player.

That is true because if their not in Org or Storm their in heroics or raids or battlegrounds having fun

/bump

BW did everything they could to make single player questing as enjoyable as possible. From the addition of companions, to fully voiced story, to legacy perks and abilities that are only usable for single player questing. Instanced areas extended beyond group dungeons but to be used for nearly every quest, isolated zones to prevent ganking, all this was to make things easier for soloers.

They did a great job with this. I had a very enjoyable time leveling my toons to 50. What BW seems to have forgotten though was they were making an MMO, not a single player game.

Why is it only now in 1.3, 6 months after release that a group finder is coming out? Why was their priorities on legacy perks that don't really have much of an impact on the multiplayer aspect? Why is leveling up so linear, and why do planets seem so barren and static?

Here's the thing that a lot of people don't realize: Server transfers and group finder, even if it comes out in 1.3, does not solve the simple problem: SWTOR was not designed with multiplayer in mind. It just wasn't. And that's its biggest mistake. Thing is, while server transfers and group finder would be nice, I already don't have a problem with that as I have a close-knit guild that does questing, FPs, and Ops together. But despite this, it doesn't change the fact that we're just playing a game designed for single player. We're just playing the "Co-op" version.

qft 100%

SO SO SO damn true. It really is the best single player online game. It really should have been marketed as this. It certainly does not feel like a MMO.

qft 100%

SO SO SO damn true. It really is the best single player online game. It really should have been marketed as this. It certainly does not feel like a MMO.

That's funny. That's what hundreds of people said about Rift too!!! Coincidence?

While a giant world called Azeroth goes to waste. As Mr. T would say, "I pity tha foo"

I'm not sure if it went to waste as ppl would have levelled up and seen all the areas but then you go to end game and raiding which opens up a whole new world. I had more fun downing bosses with my guild in ICC than levelling up

In a single player environment, see where this is going?

Well levelling up could be a single player experience but it's down to player choice. In WoW most nights there was 50 odd in the guild online, so you could chat, help other players, discuss rotations spec etc do dungeons. End game was never single player as raiding in 10 or 25 man groups or helping boost ppl in 5 man heroics

In SWTOR sure you can do similar things but because so few players are on each server you don't have the community which is the basis of all good MMOs

/bump

Well levelling up could be a single player experience but it's down to player choice. In WoW most nights there was 50 odd in the guild online, so you could chat, help other players, discuss rotations spec etc do dungeons. End game was never single player as raiding in 10 or 25 man groups or helping boost ppl in 5 man heroics

Hmm, appears to be going in my guild in SWToR. And I'd like to see you solo an Ops

In SWTOR sure you can do similar things but because so few players are on each server you don't have the community which is the basis of all good MMOs/bump

Yes, all servers are completely dead, lying is not nice

I don't think that advertising SWTOR as a single player game would be helping it out all that much, OP. There are plenty of other single player RPG games out on the market and none of THEM charge you 15$ monthly to play. Granted, as a single player game it would have better multiplayer features than most, but still, the price would not justify the game.

SWTOR just needs to be improved as an MMO, NOT an RPG like BW seems intent on doing and the game will be fine. Start focusing on more endgame and pvp related content, more group related features, better viable crafting profs, basic mmo services like faction/server transfers, and the game will be just fine. Legacy, campaign, and other single-player/rpg related features should be getting less of a priority when it comes to developing game content.