The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will you pay for a server transfer?

Skyzen

Yes I will.

Would be great if my server is included in the free servers transfers, but even if it wasn't so, if all my friends are moving then I am too. This is a social game and some normal amount of money isn't that high of a cost to keep me from enjoying swtor.

I agree with this guy, I actually think that we should all pay for transfers to give BW much needed money to make this game even better (if that is possible). I also think that $15 a month is a ridiculously small amount to pay for this game and I would gladly pay double that and so should everyone else. Flubble.

Edited by Lurchy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this guy, I actually think that we should all pay for transfers to give BW much needed money to make this game even better (if that is possible). I also think that $15 a month is a ridiculously small amount to pay for this game and I would gladly pay double that and so should everyone else. Flubble.

Sadly, I think you are on one of the servers who does not have a problem. The fact that you think that paying $15 a month is a small amount shows it. There is only so much you can do at this point. Which is fine considering WoW was built up to be what it is today, but you don't see the everyone's outlook. I should not have to go to the Rep side to ask individually every single person to que for a warzone just for the slight chance of it popping. Transfers need to happen soon.

Edited by troopdabomb

A month or 2 after the game came out I would have said yes (pretty sure I actually did at that point) but the population was a bit different then. BW screwed up with having way too many servers and I should not have to pay extra to play on a server with a decent population.

When the game started and for the first couple months, my first server had plenty of people on, even at the odd hours of the night. Now on that server there are 2 people on my fleet and 40 total logged in. If paid transfers are the only way to go then BW will see yet another chunk of their player base gone from the game.

I got a free transfer to the Asia pacific server after being stuck on a dead U.S server since launch, I do not understand why Bioware would not extend that same courtesy to every player, for free, who is experiencing the same problem.

I understand we received free transfers or accelerated transfers because of our geographical locations, but I find it a little odd you guys did not get the option also, or at least told when it might be possible.

Being honest, it didn't make alot of difference being transferred. It was great for the first 12 weeks, then the week after the rhagoul plague ended and Diablo 3 was released, our flourishing server was just as quiet as the one I recently vacated.

It takes a long time, months even for the 'popular' servers to emerge. I'm constantly hearing about the "Fatman" but for me, the 300-400 ping is a bit of a downer, considering my ping on the Asia pac Server on average is 6ms.

So yeah, I wish the Fatman all the best of luck, but it will only be perhaps 10-15 servers left in total (or should be) otherwise this game will bomb out faster than the developers had predicted.

A month or 2 after the game came out I would have said yes (pretty sure I actually did at that point) but the population was a bit different then. BW screwed up with having way too many servers and I should not have to pay extra to play on a server with a decent population.

When the game started and for the first couple months, my first server had plenty of people on, even at the odd hours of the night. Now on that server there are 2 people on my fleet and 40 total logged in. If paid transfers are the only way to go then BW will see yet another chunk of their player base gone from the game.

Agreed. I remember when this idea was starting to get kicked around in late February/early March, I was quite fine with the idea of paying for a transfer. Of course, back then I had a lot of optimism about the game. A few months of disillusionment takes its toll, I suppose. In any case, Bioware spent its last reserves of goodwill with me when 1.2 was released and turned out to be a huge disappointment. At this point, I'd rather not bother resubbing ever again before paying to transfer the only character I care about off my dead server.

If they make me pay for an xfer off SOEK, I will unsub. I was PLACED HERE with my guild through no fault of my own, and unfortunately we ended up on a dead server. If they're doing transfers to solve population issues, then my entire guild better get a free move or I am done.

I can't believe they would release so many servers. Did they REALLY think they were going to get as many people as WoW through the IP alone? The arrogance and lack of foresight astounds me.

Sadly, I think you are on one of the servers who does not have a problem. The fact that you think that paying $15 a month is a small amount shows it. There is only so much you can do at this point. Which is fine considering WoW was built up to be what it is today, but you don't see the everyone's outlook. I should not have to go to the Rep side to ask individually every single person to que for a warzone just for the slight chance of it popping. Transfers need to happen soon.

I think you missed the most important thing that I said in my post mate:-

Flubble

P.S. My server is dead and when I say dead I mean:- E's passed on! This server is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! My server is an ex server

Edited by Lurchy

If they make me pay for an xfer off SOEK, I will unsub. I was PLACED HERE with my guild through no fault of my own, and unfortunately we ended up on a dead server. If they're doing transfers to solve population issues, then my entire guild better get a free move or I am done.

I can't believe they would release so many servers. Did they REALLY think they were going to get as many people as WoW through the IP alone? The arrogance and lack of foresight astounds me.

it wasnt that, they caved at the start to all the whiners complaing about ques on servers, they added more then all the 30 day free people left and it dwindled from there.

now the people that play are spread apart, we need more info on transfers now, getting fed up with biowares lack of communication.

Edited by casshern

I don't care about the principle anymore. I am willing to pay, even a good sum, for a transfer.

For the amount of hours I put into the game, and the amount of money I can make PER hour at a job, it is far, FAR worth it, imo. The cost per hour is cheap enough that paying 15-20 bucks to transfer suddenly makes it not worth the cost.

While I understand the point and requirement of server transfers, why that is being done BEFORE merging servers is beyond me (other than a way to generate more money from players before they eventually leave).

All I can see happening is players move from a "dead" server to another one, then that "dead" server becomes even more of a ghost town and the players who don't move will basically quit the game.

All this BS of "joining your friends" is laughable, I know I would have rolled on friends servers to start with but then the whole guild placement at the start forced us to be on a server anyway and then put the effort on us choosing to ignore that effort if we wanted to go on another.

My guess is they hope the dead servers are the ones they merge with others after transfers are said and done, but I think that will make them lose a of players before that ever happens.

it wasnt that, they caved at the start to all the whiners complaing about ques on servers, they added more then all the 30 day free people left and it dwindled from there.

now the people that play are spread apart, we need more info on transfers now, getting fed up with biowares lack of communication.

true...but what they did was bigger then counting the whiners...they released pokemon stuff wich is far expensive and useless too..they also removed the ranked wz wich made alot of pvpers to leave the game..and now they keep us on death servers for over 2months and who know how many months will come until server transfer will be on..thats not the way to keep up a game...ppl on dead servers have no reasons to sub or log in because they cant get wzs or pve instance since there are no ppl for it...so tell me something where is our fault for releasing stuff wich is not helping anyone? where is our fault for breaking the rated wzs 10min before they put back online the servers?...and no i am not going to pay for a transfer

ps:count the endless buggs wich they release every patch because they also dont test the patch before they put it live...so thats not our fault either

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed that the transfers won't include RP-PVE -> PVE. I have 7 50's on an RP-PVE server. I chose the highest west coast population server, at the time, to re-roll on which was a PVE server. I would love to have some of these characters on the same server.

Since this will not be possible with the upcoming free transfers, this will probably end up being something we will have to pay for. I don't think it is worthwhile to spend more money for this bad decision on server transfers (my opinion of course).

My question is: Will you pay for a server transfer?

(This thread is not about "When will there be a server merge/transfer?")

I'd like to know how people feel about actually paying money for transfers in this game.

Absolutely. Did it in EQ2 with several characters. Here, most of my characters are on Ebon Hawk, but I have one I'd really like to bring over from Begeren Colony. More than willing to pay for it.

Also wanting a paid name-change service.

I'm disappointed that the transfers won't include RP-PVE -> PVE. I have 7 50's on an RP-PVE server. I chose the highest west coast population server, at the time, to re-roll on which was a PVE server. I would love to have some of these characters on the same server.

Since this will not be possible with the upcoming free transfers, this will probably end up being something we will have to pay for. I don't think it is worthwhile to spend more money for this bad decision on server transfers (my opinion of course).

After the free transfers, they will have a period of free promotional transfers, too, so don't give up just yet.

I would... But I am on a low pop server that has like 15 people on the fleet during peak hours and I am usually the only one on a planet when leveling.

Sadly I have 5 level 50s I need to transfer. 3 repub, and 2 imp.

I would... But I am on a low pop server that has like 15 people on the fleet during peak hours and I am usually the only one on a planet when leveling.

Sadly I have 5 level 50s I need to transfer. 3 repub, and 2 imp.

No, I shouldn't have to.

(Yes, I know the initial targeted server transfers are free)

If I ended up on the "wrong" server initially, that was largely due to Bioware's server deployment choices. I shouldn't have to pay to fix it, ever.

If I transfer from a low population server to server I'm not happy with and am not able to transfer to the server where my friends are playing, that again is because Bioware are limiting my options. I shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes.

Ultimately, I would prefer a transfer system gated by time. When you transfer, you have to spend a minimum amount of time on the new server until you can transfer again. Each extra transfer you do increases that "cooldown" on transfers. If you really want to add a cost element, add something where you pay to reset that transfer cooldown.

This line intentionally left blank

Edited by Woetoo

I came here from WoW, so I'm used to paying for server transfers.

I would pay. I came to the game to play with RL friends. They no longer play but my old WoW guild, who I was with for a long time and would love to play with again, are on a different server than the one I'm on. I'd love to transfer over there so I could actually play with people, not completely solo like I've been doing so far (seriously, are there even other people playing this game?).

Add into the mix that I'm on an RP server, but I don't RP. Neither did my RL friends, but this is where they were put after beta. From my understanding of the free transfers, there's little to no chance of me moving to a regular PvE server, such as Dreshade Cantina were my old guild is. I REALLY don't want to start both of my toons over again. I don't have the time, or honestly the interest, since the game is rather boring the second time through.