Snap Shot/Aimed Shot Bug?

topspyn

I did a search here and saw a thread on this, but it was a couple of months old so I figured I'd start a new one.

The talent Snap Shot is supposed to make it so that if I enter Cover, my next Charged Burst within 6 seconds is instant. I understand this proc vanishes if I leave Cover.

One of my favorite openers is to drop into Cover (natural or not), use Aimed Shot, and follow with the instant Charged Burst. However, sometimes when I use Aimed Shot, the Snap Shot proc vanishes. Not really sure why... sometimes it looks like my character stands up a little bit when using Aimed Shot. I don't know if he momentarily leaves cover or something? But if this were the case, by Quickbar would switch back to the non-Cover bar, I would think...

Anyone else have this issue?

I reported this as a bug a few days ago (before this latest patch). It still is bugged, from what I can tell. My testing seems to show that:

1. If you roll into natural cover and immediately start an Aimed Shot, you will loes your Snap Shot buff
  2. If you wait a second or so after rolling to start Aimed Shot, use any other ability (perhaps other cast abilities cause the same issue?), or use personal cover, you keep the buff

The CSR droid said that they'd reported it to the designers. But, yes, I too have this issue, and have reported it in.

It doesn't, by chance, bug in a happy way and process aimed to a 1.5s cast?

nope. If talented you get 1s less activation time on Aimed when Charged crits not the other way around.

Best way to achieve this (when starting rotation) and get good initial burst is to: cover, sabo, smugglers luck, charged aimed, trick shot. If all goes well and you have Burst Volley you can down activation time on Aimed to 1.2 or even 1 sec.

Well, at least I know it's not just me doing something wrong.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics of Cover. Does the Gunslinger pop his head out of Cover momentarily to use certain abilities, like Aimed Shot? Because that would explain why Snap Shot goes away, and I suppose that would even mean it is working as intended.

nope. If talented you get 1s less activation time on Aimed when Charged crits not the other way around.

Best way to achieve this (when starting rotation) and get good initial burst is to: cover, sabo, smugglers luck, charged aimed, trick shot. If all goes well and you have Burst Volley you can down activation time on Aimed to 1.2 or even 1 sec.

Smugglers Luck, Cover, Sab, Charged Burst, Trick Shot, Aimed Shot, Speed Shot, Trick Shot.

This is my rotation and it allows me use two Trick Shots activations.

Trick Shot has a time limit on it once it activates, six seconds as I recall. Perhaps this is what you speak?

I have not seen this bug yet.

Who, me?

No, I don't even have Trick Shot yet. It's as I said: when I go for Aimed Shot, the Snap Shot proc sometimes vanishes. I know that Snap Shot has a 6 sec limit as well, but it's not due to that. The proc just vanishes as soon as I hit Aimed Shot.

Though, the issue may or may not have been ninja fixed; I played today for the first time since Tuesday and it has not happened to me.

Junostorm, you should leave cover and then get back into cover to do another instant charged burst.

at least that is what I do.

part of my full rotation is usually

flourish shot -> cover -> sabo charge -> smuggler's luck -> instant charged burst -> trickshot -> illegal mods -> aimed shot -> stand and cover again -> instant charged burst -> trickshot -> etc...

that is really long, but I do other things after, just wanted to say you could do another instant charged burst.

Edited by JPYAGAMI

Junostorm, you should leave cover and then get back into cover to do another instant charged burst.

at least that is what I do.

part of my full rotation is usually

flourish shot -> cover -> sabo charge -> smuggler's luck -> instant charged burst -> trickshot -> illegal mods -> aimed shot -> stand and cover again -> instant charged burst -> trickshot -> etc...

that is really long, but I do other things after, just wanted to say you could do another instant charged burst.

I do the same, but generally after the Speed Shot, since Trick Shoot still works outside of cover, hehe.

My rotation for SS is geared for optimal PvE Ops runs as opposed to PvP.

Edited by Junostorm

GCD: 1.5 sec.

Charged Shot Cast: 1.5 sec.

Getting out of cover and back in: One GCD + human delay. You also lose fox hole energy regeneration while you do it.

Not really worth it to pop out and in JUST to get the charged burst proc. You end up taking about the same amount of time. It is worth doing it to refresh ballistic dampeners, however, if you're under fire, with no real loss to DPS if you do it when a charged shot would normally fall into your rotation. Also useful any time you need to move in combat, or get knocked out of cover for whatever reason, or are in a group and prepping to attack a CC'd target, etc.

Edited by KryloKillian

Yeah I'm geared towards PVP haha.

Well when I use the instant charged burst again, its not immediately after. While in PVP I try to dps quickly, I usually leave time to recover energy. If I pew pew'd as quickly as I could, my energy would never last lol

• 2 weeks later...
I've been having the same issue. I'm also noticing that when I use aimed shot when hunker down is up, hunker down fades. It seems like when you use aimed shot it temporarily breaks cover. Hope this gets resolved before too long. Edited by Squallunknown

Yeah, I had this question back maybe 5/6 weeks ago and back then it was already submitted and deemed something 'being worked on'.

I tried all sorts of things and came to roughly the same working idea- perhaps the head sticking out of cover (even though you have to be in cover for AS) to 'cast' AS deleted the AS buff as well as the Ballistic Dampers buff (did you check and see if that comes off too? It did for me).

What I've found is that you can do two things:

1) Don't take natural cover if you plan to open with AS. The cover shield will not incur this bug for whatever reason, and if you want to open with AS to frontload that damage, it is a sure-fire way around it.

2) Don't open with AS. This is where I went eventually (after taking some time off the GS to level a Jugg). What I found is that the 2.5 cast became a tediously long amount of time for me to wait, especially when for most groups of mobs, I was Insta-CS-Trick-SS or shortened AS (with other things thrown in as needed) & it was leaving me with one mob severely injured with probably the other two dead, silvers included.

YMMV, but I found that I dropped the AS opener once I partnered up with the sniper you receive from the storyline. That character enabled me to drop it, because I was doing some crazy damage that it became about speed killing, not upfront loaded damage numbers. If any of the group did reach both of us, they were on death's door anyway and quickly dispatched with a rifle butt to the head or a dirty kick to the jewels followed by an oh-so-gracious headshot, and if really really needed, just pistol whip 'em.

Yeah, I had this question back maybe 5/6 weeks ago and back then it was already submitted and deemed something 'being worked on'.

I tried all sorts of things and came to roughly the same working idea- perhaps the head sticking out of cover (even though you have to be in cover for AS) to 'cast' AS deleted the AS buff as well as the Ballistic Dampers buff (did you check and see if that comes off too? It did for me).

What I've found is that you can do two things:

1) Don't take natural cover if you plan to open with AS. The cover shield will not incur this bug for whatever reason, and if you want to open with AS to frontload that damage, it is a sure-fire way around it.

2) Don't open with AS. This is where I went eventually (after taking some time off the GS to level a Jugg). What I found is that the 2.5 cast became a tediously long amount of time for me to wait, especially when for most groups of mobs, I was Insta-CS-Trick-SS or shortened AS (with other things thrown in as needed) & it was leaving me with one mob severely injured with probably the other two dead, silvers included.

YMMV, but I found that I dropped the AS opener once I partnered up with the sniper you receive from the storyline. That character enabled me to drop it, because I was doing some crazy damage that it became about speed killing, not upfront loaded damage numbers. If any of the group did reach both of us, they were on death's door anyway and quickly dispatched with a rifle butt to the head or a dirty kick to the jewels followed by an oh-so-gracious headshot, and if really really needed, just pistol whip 'em.

I found a workaround. If you use your cover shield behind the natural cover spots, you still get the chance to negate the ranged attacks you take from mobs, without losing the buffs from taking cover. Should work until they get around to fixing the bug.

Your most used attack should be trickshot, nice dmg, low energy, work your rotation round that.

Instant charge is nice, but not "always" the best idea when you take energy management into account. You have 2 options on how to play SS spec, sustained dmg, or instant spike. Performing a large spike will dramatically use up your energy, while you can do some pretty nice sustained dmg without worrying too much about your energy pool(you wont be spiking too many people down quick but you will be wearing them down.

Finding a happy medium where you can sustain then spike when needed and still manage to control your energy is what you want to be looking at, all while trying to maintain control of your enemy with your utility.

A good Sharpshooter will hardly ever run out of energy and always have top dmg, gear dependant