The "What If" PvP Thread

Blistrich

Let me start off with some shameless self-promotion. In my signature is a link to an idea I have for integrating the old DAoC/Warhammer (lol) RvR system into the SWTOR universe, which I am still seeking input/criticism/support for.

Basically, I enjoy this game and I think that it has some serious PvP potential, but what it's currently lacking is PvP diversity. Obviously we're in vanilla and only so much can be expected to be made available, but in the future, how would you like to see SWTOR PvP evolve?

• Open World Objectives - Outposts or "keeps" on worlds that provide rewards if you capture them. Keen?

• Guild Wars - Would you like to be able to declare war on a guild from your own faction?

• More Warzones - Obviously these are coming, but do you think they should have priority over new systems?

• Dueling Statistics - Would you like a way to keep track of your 1v1 performance against various classes?

Edited by Blistrich

Let me start off with some shameless self-promotion. In my signature is a link to an idea I have for integrating the old DAoC/Warhammer (lol) RvR system into the SWTOR universe, which I am still seeking input/criticism/support for.

Basically, I enjoy this game and I think that it has some serious PvP potential, but what it's currently lacking is PvP diversity. Obviously we're in vanilla and only so much can be expected to be made available, but in the future, how would you like to see SWTOR PvP evolve?

• Open World Objectives - Outposts or "keeps" on worlds that provide rewards if you capture them. Keen?

• Guild Wars - Would you like to be able to declare war on a guild from your own faction?

• More Warzones - Obviously these are coming, but do you think they should have priority over new systems?

• Dueling Statistics - Would you like a way to keep track of your 1v1 performance against various classes?

Sadly open world objectives or awesomeness from daoc/warhammer wont work with this pos hero engine. There is a reason why all BGs are as small as they are. Just accept the fact you play an "MMO" designed as a single player story driven game. With a bad engine.

Sadly open world objectives or awesomeness from daoc/warhammer wont work with this pos hero engine. There is a reason why all BGs are as small as they are. Just accept the fact you play an "MMO" designed as a single player story driven game. With a bad engine.

Frustrating but true.

The sad part is they they didn't even know it when developing it (The Open-World PvP that is)

Then why was the warhammer team tacked on to Bioware?

the pvp team is somewhat independent of the team that develops the engine.

the problem with the hero engine is that Bioware purchased it from its original creator in an unfinished state. rather than letting the guy who created the engine finish it in a correct manner, Bioware let their shoddy coders have a crack at it. thus, we have our brilliant 32bit, dx9, piece of s--t game engine

Then why was the warhammer team tacked on to Bioware?

Because EA had to cut losses with the fail of Warhammer and Bioware was up and coming. Mythic has never been the same since DAOC but they are still my PvP MMO dreamteam developers, the original ones.

And what does the engine have to do with what you said?

the pvp team is somewhat independent of the team that develops the engine.

the problem with the hero engine is that Bioware purchased it from its original creator in an unfinished state. rather than letting the guy who created the engine finish it in a correct manner, Bioware let their shoddy coders have a crack at it. thus, we have our brilliant 32bit, dx9, piece of s--t game engine

I heard it runs two 32bit sessions simultaneuosly which is the reason it is so poorly coded. Instead of making a 64 bit they basically are using two 32 bit.

I'm not 100% sure of what I;m talking about regarding this I'm more web coding then processor and engine coding/development.

I heard it runs two 32bit sessions simultaneuosly which is the reason it is so poorly coded. Instead of making a 64 bit they basically are using two 32 bit.

I'm not 100% sure of what I;m talking about regarding this I'm more web coding then processor and engine coding/development.

it is one single 32bit process. there was a bug in which the game woudl try to run 2 processes, but i think that got fixed a while ago.

32bit sucks because it basically puts a throttle on the amount of resources your computer is allowed to devote to that process. just a dumb decision to not make a 64bit version as well

it is one single 32bit process. there was a bug in which the game woudl try to run 2 processes, but i think that got fixed a while ago.

32bit sucks because it basically puts a throttle on the amount of resources your computer is allowed to devote to that process. just a dumb decision to not make a 64bit version as well

Very few games have 64bit functionality.

And what does the engine have to do with what you said?

Limitations on the number of players that the engine can reasonably draw before bogging down. Big battles between hundreds (or even dozens) aren't likely to happen, from my understanding.

Just like how Mythic promised epic city battles with hundreds and hundreds of players in WAR and wasn't able to deliver.

I miss...

RF Online

- Guild vs Guild and the weekly winner can control the "colony" and get some rare ores

- Chip War... *********** fun!

- Politican environment

Priston Tale 1 ( yes, even priston can show some )

- Battle for Bellatra Castle

- War for the Castle( I don't remember the name )

Limitations on the number of players that the engine can reasonably draw before bogging down. Big battles between hundreds (or even dozens) aren't likely to happen, from my understanding.

Just like how Mythic promised epic city battles with hundreds and hundreds of players in WAR and wasn't able to deliver.

Remember Ilum?

Or when people were getting infected? My game would literally freeze for .5-1 sec when a lot of players became visible.

I agree, the SWTOR game engine is pretty god awful. I keep hearing about how many things are handled client-side and the game doesn't even look all that good (I have every setting as high as it goes). There can still be scalability with allowing players to use different versions of DirectX (such as in Civilization V, among many other games). But OK, if it doesn't look amazing, it should still perform like a beast (that's treading knee-deep in its own poodoo).

Remember Ilum?

Or when people were getting infected? My game would literally freeze for .5-1 sec when a lot of players became visible.

I agree, the SWTOR game engine is pretty god awful. I keep hearing about how many things are handled client-side and the game doesn't even look all that good (I have every setting as high as it goes). There can still be scalability with allowing players to use different versions of DirectX (such as in Civilization V, among many other games). But OK, if it doesn't look amazing, it should still perform like a beast (that's treading knee-deep in its own poodoo).

I never got to participate in Ilum, but I can only imagine.

BioWare made some bad decisions and the worst one was a shoddy engine. It's the basis for the entire game and without a good engine (or even a passable engine) there's no way to have any kind of meaningful PvP or RvR in a game.

The static bases on SWG that you could hold for periods of time to unlock certain items worked ok for a while to encourage world pvp. If these were put into the contested PvP areas on some of the planets it might encourage players to actually fight in some place other than the hutt ball arena.

Excuse my technical noobness, but is there no way to get a more robust engine to power larger maps, that could still cooperate with the hero engine so they would not have to rebuild the game from the ground up.

Very few games have 64bit functionality.

not sure if serious? almost every game in the last 2 years can run 64bit. for a AAA title like SWTOR, it absolutely should have a 64bit program. the devs spent so much time trying to make this game run on a toaster that they forgot that people dont use toasters for computers anymore

Excuse my technical noobness, but is there no way to get a more robust engine to power larger maps, that could still cooperate with the hero engine so they would not have to rebuild the game from the ground up.

I'm also curious about this. I kind of doubt it's possible though, otherwise other developers would have already done so to save or resuscitate their own dying games.