18/23/0 (The Paladin).

Nijraw

WoW so I was messing around with this build and I must say this is a walking PvP Sherman Tank, Hits like a Mac Truck on Roids with a massive passive 10% damage reduction (more damage reduction then any other class or spec in the game).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500rrhdzzMZsMrMrhzzM.1

Key points:

1. I used Soresu Form for the -6% damage reduction stacked with Commanding Awe for another -4% damage reduction putting me at -10% damage reduction to all damage.

2. I strapped on on DPS gear and became a beast with bullet proof armor on, the funny thing is with this build you can gain up to 85% damage reduction with the use of Focused Defense, Warding Call & Unremitting (incoming Nerf lol)

3.Perma Bubble due to a 9 second Blade Storm stacked with Blade Barrier (Hence is why I call this a Paladin Build

At first I thought there might be lack Focus but that isn't the case in PvP , with this build you don't mind at all being hit or CCed because CC will only make you stronger via skills points in the build for fueling damage & counter damage.

If you haven't tried this build, try it and you will see what I'm taking about, the only problem is as soon as this build becomes more main stream the QQ will start and it will most likely be hit with the nerf bat, well maybe not seeing as Tank Shadow/Assassins can pretty much do the same thing but we will see.

Edited by Nijraw

you still do twice less damage than any sentinel/marauder and on top of that, you can't tank.

all those def buffs you mention, sents got 1 and it reduces all the damage. why bother?

shadows do the same thing, only two times better. their damage output is significantly higher and their utility skills are more usable. jags/guardians got 20 skills which do exactly same thing as sents/maras do with 2 buttons.

you either tank or you don't, it's up to you, but believe me, extra 3 stacks of sunder with just 1 hit from guardian slash is worth it to go all the way def, and if you want to go dps, plasma brand is a very good both dot and damaging skill to put in your rotation.

i know lots of folks like to think it's better to be a hybrid with jags/guardians- no it's not and every high level player will say the same. period.

Edited by Carousel_t

you still do twice less damage than any sentinel/marauder and on top of that, you can't tank.

all those def buffs you mention, sents got 1 and it reduces all the damage. why bother?

O for sure but that isn't the strength of the build, what makes the build is that you take little to no damage running in tank form stacked with skills that increase even more damage reduction and still hit like a spiked bat, sure not as much as a full Veg or Focus but harder then a full 31/x/x build with more damage reduction then any other class in the game, this build is pretty much a Jedi's version of the Over Powered Shadow DPS geared 31/0/10 build.

Give it a run and i'm pretty sure you will change your mind, after having pretty much a Perma Bubble from Blade Barrier due to a 9 sec Blade Storm and a nice passive -10% damage reduction that can be ramped up to a whopping -85% will make you a believer as it did for me, trust me I was very sceptical at first.

Edited by Nijraw

O for sure but that isn't the strength of the build, what makes the build is that you take little to no damage running in tank form stacked with skills that increase even more damage reduction and still hit like a spiked bat, sure not as much as a full Veg or Focus but harder then a full 31/x/x build with more damage reduction then any other class in the game, this build is pretty much a Jedi's version of the Over Powered Shadow DPS geared 31/0/10 build.

little to no damage? you obviously haven't played much. you will soon notice your main worry shouldn't be about all the damage but internal/elemental damage that cannot be mitigated (main weapon of sorcs/bh). i bet i do more damage from my guardian slash than you do from any of your attacks, not counting master strike or ravage obviously. veng guardian is in no way stronger than def build guardian, other than fact he can use Shien form - which you didn't chose and dps oriented gear. your highest hitter is still sunder+master strike. you don't have much damage reduction, you have SOME damage reduction at best, and the rest is damage mitigation IF your opponent's attack hit your shield. there's a difference.

Edited by Carousel_t

this build in several variations has been around since beta but

1.2s changes to the tank tree have improved the possibilities.

it is a viable PvP tank spec and definitely fun.

just some stuff to consider:

i would drop burning blade since the dot is really terrible and

rather invest the 2 points to max stagger and get shien form.

this way you can stancedance for situations where you might

want to go for max dmg output.

since overhead slash in soresu form is a bosslike focus-eater

and with focused defense also being very hard to focus up

you could drop the vigilance tier 4 and get up to hilt strike in the

tanktree. combined with stasis mastery this just gives you

an insine amount of control for the cost of some mitigation.

//edit

what is that talk about perma bubble? blade barrier absorbs

800ish dmg so its gone pretty fast.

and if you say you take little to no damage then you fight the wrong

people. sure with CDs you can ramp up your mitigation pretty

nice but thats not a permanent state.

Edited by daibasu

little to no damage? you obviously haven't played much. you will soon notice your main worry shouldn't be about all the damage but internal/elemental damage that cannot be mitigated (main weapon of sorcs/bh). i bet i do more damage from my guardian slash than you do from any of your attacks, not counting master strike or ravage. you don't have much damage reduction, you have SOME damage reduction at best, and the rest is damage mitigation IF your opponent's attack hit your shield. there's a difference.

Soresu Form reduces all damage by 6%, Commanding Awe reduces all damage by 4% giving you a passive 10% damage redution to all damage, elemental & internal included, also the -20% damage reduction you get after force leap and another 15% when using Focused Defense that also reduces elemental & internal, not counting Warding Call, with all those skills you pretty much cut damage intake in half over the long haul making you one beast to take down.

Edited by Nijraw

this build in several variations has been around since beta but

1.2s changes to the tank tree have improved the possibilities.

it is a viable PvP tank spec and definitely fun.

just some stuff to consider:

i would drop burning blade since the dot is really terrible and

rather invest the 2 points to max stagger and get shien form.

this way you can stancedance for situations where you might

want to go for max dmg output.

since overhead slash in soresu form is a bosslike focus-eater

and with focused defense also being very hard to focus up

you could drop the vigilance tier 4 and get up to hilt strike in the

tanktree. combined with stasis mastery this just gives you

an insine amount of control for the cost of some mitigation.

//edit

what is that talk about perma bubble? blade barrier absorbs

800ish dmg so its gone pretty fast.

and if you say you take little to no damage then you fight the wrong

people. sure with CDs you can ramp up your mitigation pretty

nice but thats not a permanent state.

This build I wanted to max out my damage reduction for PvP and still giving me good damage, because 75% of all PvP is Kinetic/Tech ,Elemental and Internal damage I wanted to shave off as much damage intake as I could with a Jedi Gaurdian which is why I took all those skills that do just that, the Bubble being perma meaning that I can have one up every 9 seconds even though in most cases it doesn't last the full 10 seconds but I like to look at it as a "Triggered Shield" that stops all damage not just ranged and melee like our off hand shield does, over all with all the stars in line damage intake over a standard WZ is almost in half and with the power to give any class a hell of a run if ever in a 1v1 battle.

Also I picked up Burning Blade for the chance that It might help pull stealthers out of vanish and the little damage over time don't hurt

Our Bubble from Bladed Barrier will shave off 16,000 damage in a little over 2 mins with a 9 second Blade Storm, that's 20 Blade Storms, pretty much saving you one death every 2 mins.

Edited by Nijraw

little to no damage? you obviously haven't played much. you will soon notice your main worry shouldn't be about all the damage but internal/elemental damage that cannot be mitigated (main weapon of sorcs/bh). i bet i do more damage from my guardian slash than you do from any of your attacks, not counting master strike or ravage obviously. veng guardian is in no way stronger than def build guardian, other than fact he can use Shien form - which you didn't chose and dps oriented gear. your highest hitter is still sunder+master strike. you don't have much damage reduction, you have SOME damage reduction at best, and the rest is damage mitigation IF your opponent's attack hit your shield. there's a difference.

Base damage yes Guardian Slash will hit a bit harder but not when you are running around with +50% damage bonus to Overhead Slash due to Gather Strength(melee damage bonus only), and because in PvP you are pretty much perma snared/rooted your Overhead Slash will more then likely be hitting 50% harder every 9 seconds.

Edited by Nijraw

OP, why u didn't take force rush? 60% auto crit for dispatch or blade storm is very sweet. With that you can dump crit stats and pump surge stats.

If I where to go all out damage I would but the point of this build is to max out my damage reduction to all damage types at the same time giving me some pretty good controlled burst damage, also I lack the points to get both.

The 2 key points in a nut shell for this build is:

1. Max damage PvP reduction

2. Above moderate controlled burst damage (on par with a Shadow Tank)

The down side to this build is:

1. Focus heavy (but doable)

2. Not as much burst as lol Smash or full Vigilance

The amount of mitigation you get from Blade Barrier is dwarfed by the improvement to your DPS you'd get from Force Rush, and PvP isn't a vacuum where you can be "just tanky" or "just damage" and get away with it. If you can't dish out any damage (and you won't with this build, I've played stuff similar to it before, Gather Strength doesn't proc nearly as often as you insinuate), people will ignore you, and your tankiness is wasted.

I use an 11/28/2 hybrid that I've posted on here before... I think it gives me everything I could really want or need from the defense tree (free slows, extra 6% defense, warding call) while still allowing for very nice offense (Force Rush for crit BS/Dispach, Master Focus and Zen Strike for a beefed up Master Strike, Shien to switch to in situations that call for all out offense).

The bottom line is this, you may mitigate this much damage with blade storm, or that much with a no channel stasis... but you mitigate 100% of the damage when your target is dead. And with 1.2's TTK reduced as much as it is, it makes no sense to completely gimp your offense.

One last point, if you manage to build your rotation around snapping off a Blade Storm every 9 seconds while running Soresu, you WILL be focus starved, don't kid yourself.

If you ask me, the best possible pvp tank route is something like that:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500RrhdkdrzZfMroMZMM.1

Point is, the strongest feature of a pvp tank is the cc he dishes out. Cc alone means squat if you hit like a newborn kitty, so you neet talents to boost your damage output too. In my case shien+ the 4 talents in focus. All this will give you great versatility, and you miss almost nothing important in the tank tree. Inner peace is the biggest loss imho, but it is obvious you cant have it all.

WoW so I was messing around with this build and I must say this is a walking PvP Sherman Tank, Hits like a Mac Truck on Roids with a massive passive 10% damage reduction (more damage reduction then any other class or spec in the game).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500rrhdzzMZsMrMrhzzM.1

Key points:

1. I used Soresu Form for the -6% damage reduction stacked with Commanding Awe for another -4% damage reduction putting me at -10% damage reduction to all damage.

2. I strapped on on DPS gear and became a beast with bullet proof armor on, the funny thing is with this build you can gain up to 85% damage reduction with the use of Focused Defense, Warding Call & Unremitting (incoming Nerf lol)

3.Perma Bubble due to a 9 second Blade Storm stacked with Blade Barrier (Hence is why I call this a Paladin Build

At first I thought there might be lack Focus but that isn't the case in PvP , with this build you don't mind at all being hit or CCed because CC will only make you stronger via skills points in the build for fueling damage & counter damage.

If you haven't tried this build, try it and you will see what I'm taking about, the only problem is as soon as this build becomes more main stream the QQ will start and it will most likely be hit with the nerf bat, well maybe not seeing as Tank Shadow/Assassins can pretty much do the same thing but we will see.

Absolutely awesome build sir. Your damage reduction must make you giggle when someone tries to take it to ya. Unfortunately me and Plasma Brand have become close friends. Wouldn't give up that bleed for anything and its uses in PvP would be quite awesome. Again, beauty of a hybrid build, but as for me, it's full Vig spec with the remaining points in Defense and Focus. Here's my build. Probably the generic Vig build but It's pretty much awesomesauce.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500MMZfMrRRuddGRZM.1

Beaker out!