An Appreciation Thread

Darkrite

Sorry when there is such a HUGE HUGE population problem for most of us i.e. 1-5 people on fleet prime time, I find it VERY hard to applaud them for anything.

Server transfers are coming though, starting with free transfers. Should hlep a bit.

Edited by Runeshard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Server transfers are coming though, starting with free transfers. Should hlep a bit.

The tech for that, regardless of the apparent convenience, takes quite a bit (network and database wise) and I understand why it's so time consuming. However, when it does arrive I'll be happy to see population increases again.

I applaud your courage for posting these points. Yes, there is a lot of negativity on the forums. And let's be fair, the only people that can make it all go away is Bioware themselves (and EA by extension). They need to do something about the state of the game, and fast.

However I do disagree with you on one of your points.

The animations are aweful, I mean really really bad. They were so incredibly lazy I can't even begin to state how much. If you pay attention you'll notice that EVERY race is virtually the same, only reskinned human variants (they could have done SO much more in this regard, like unique zabrak appearances, unique chiss etc). Every race follows the same animation theme throughout i.e. Trandoshans, Humans, etc they all have the same animations. And to top it all off they are pretty weak. Auto attack being removed was a bad, bad idea (one that can still be fixed) and made lightsaber combat look nowhere near what they intended it to be.

This thread will likely be locked, as all positive threads seem to be shut down pretty fast, but I agree with all of your points. I'm loving the game so far and I don't see how in the world people have already ran out of things to do.

It's because they only stay civil for so long. The "haters" come in (usually the same few people, in every thread, all the time) quickly, start calling everyone fanbois, us "Fanbois" get angry and retort, and the thread derails into the abyss.

This is the saddest excuse of a thread I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

OP, you go too far

1) By praising them for responding on the forums...which happens in...pretty much every game and which they hardly do in the forums. The Mass Effect forums are way more responsive than the swtor forums.

2) By saying

"Now my characters actually effect each other in a way no other game has allowed for ."
<-- Mass Effect already had this. You get to unlock the biotic ability Singularity for Soldiers for example if you play through the game as a Biotic. Nothing new here.

3) By saying

Thank you for the new clothing. I don't know if people realize how long it takes an art team to add NEW content instead of re-skinning old models and just plopping them in, but you guys are at least making an attempt to do so."
<--- There's a subscription fee...and every MMO adds new clothing, its EXPECTED. Not to mention you get more (and of arguably higher quality) clothing from mods in moddable RPGs (KOTOR, Dragon Age, Fallout, and the Elders Scrolls for example) for FREE. Again, this game has a subscription fee!

4) By praising them for details.

Thank you for all the little details, like vehicles flying above us in Coruscant, the subtlety of shading, and little artistic points that make this game give me a feeling of immersion.

This is what I feel the game is most lacking. Flying vehicles? OF COURSE its Nar Shaddaa and Coruscant, KOTOR I & II had that back in 2003/2004. The shadows in this game are absolutely terrible.

This thread is full of unthinking praise that doesn't help the developers improve the game at all. Of course, this is just my opinion but what I fail to understand is how many agree with this empty praise. It's mind-boggling. Praising the developers for things they do right is fine but I feel like this thread is praising the developers for things they're doing wrong.

EDIT: If someone would be kind enough to tell me how to add pictures to my post, I would gladly upload a screenshot of what shadows in this game look like with a GTX 580 graphics card.

Edited by Blackholeskipper

Hey, I got this really cruddy job. I've gotten better offer for better jobs recently, but I already have so much time at my old job, I just don't want to start over. So, I'll just stay at this cruddy job and complain about how horrible it is until someone in the company fixes it for me.

Awesome analogy is...awesome?

Consider I have a job etc and no time to start over. If you want to sit on your backside all day living off government hand outs playing swtor be my guest. But please, do it quietly.

Edited by RTCBrad

Well, I think that's all the more reason. I could be apathetic about it, not voice my appreciation, or fall into the massive outcry of hatred that seems to be prevalent as of late by ungrateful players. Truth is, too few people appreciate even being able to play a game like this. I live in the U.S. and recognize this country as a land of opportunity, not expectations. I try to apply that with everything. People have the opportunity to continue to play and voice appreciation, or they can rant about their expectations. Posting hatred on the forums, occurs to me now, as simply a method that belies a persons approach to enjoying many aspects of this game and hanging on but expecting too much than what a development team can give within a certain timeframe.

Good on you

+8 respect

This is the saddest excuse of a thread I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Ok.

OP, you go too far

No one ever got very far by going too short.

1) By praising them for responding on the forums...which happens in...pretty much every game and which they hardly do in the forums. The Mass Effect forums are way more responsive than the swtor forums.

Yes, and Mass Effect is the same company, with an established set of moderators and forum administrators. This game (within 5 months) has had far more response from the development team than any I have seen to date, short of Rift. World of Warcraft can't even claim the same, save for their updates and conferences. There is a real sense of one on one interest with the developers. If you feel differently than that just outlines that your experience differs from mine.

2) By saying *(quoted by Darkrite)* <-- Mass Effect already had this. You get to unlock the biotic ability Singularity for Soldiers for example if you play through the game as a Biotic. Nothing new here.

That's great! Again, apparent that it's a Bioware specialty that characters directly effect those within your next gaming experience. Please, explain to me how that carries over to any other game. My appreciation is warranted for it being in SW:TOR. Mass Effect isn't a massive multi-player game. If you can find one that has an existing system like this, please show me.

3) By saying <--- There's a subscription fee...and every MMO adds new clothing, its EXPECTED. Not to mention you get more (and of arguably higher quality) clothing from mods in moddable RPGs (KOTOR, Dragon Age, Fallout, and the Elders Scrolls for example) for FREE. Again, this game has a subscription fee!
Right, and if that's expected for your dollar, then you should look into a new investment. I pay for the pleasure of playing existing content. If you were looking for a single player game and this isn't meeting your expectations, I suggest looking for another game. I personally, with genuine sincerity, appreciate that at least the art team is trying. Do you know how difficult it is to appease a large population of one million players with varying fashion? No, I don't think you do. With all of those games you mentioned (KOTOR, Fallout, DA, Elder Scrolls, etc.) you have the general public making those mods (not a team that's paid because it would be insane to offer the public the server side files for an MMO. You might as well just give them the keys to the kingdom and pack up your bags to get hacked into oblivion). The public that makes mods do it of their own personal fashion design, and...you as the user, get to choose which mods you personally enjoy. So there's a large difference. Also, I know from experience. It takes quite a bit of time to hobby mod anything.

4) By praising them for details.

This is what I feel the game is most lacking. Flying vehicles? OF COURSE its Nar Shaddaa and Coruscant, KOTOR I & II had that back in 2003/2004. The shadows in this game are absolutely terrible.

You might want to check your system setting within your Nvidia card. As of right now, with a GTS 450 incredible shading, detailing, lighting effects, mist, character details, etc. that perhaps you're missing. Yet you state that you're using a GTX 580, which almost doubles my pixel rate. I fail to see how you're missing these things. Technology flies at an exceeding rate, and to attempt to push this game beyond the measures of the 5+ years that it's taken from conception to development would bypass that threshold in mere months.

I would consider moving your camera down to 25-30 instead of 60-100. Though at times I keep my camera that far for distance as well for pvp, raids, etc.

This thread is full of unthinking praise that doesn't help the developers improve the game at all. Of course, this is just my opinion but what I fail to understand is how many agree with this empty praise. It's mind-boggling. Praising the developers for things they do right is fine but I feel like this thread is praising the developers for things they're doing wrong.

We differ in opinion then. That's simply all. To criticize me for my personal appreciation of something is like criticizing someone for appreciating Bach when you don't prefer Bach. Yet, you take it further by pushing Beethoven down the person's throat and further insisting that Bach is horrible. How is this in anyway fair in one's assessment and appreciation of Bach, then? It's not. It's a personal attack on such.

No, I won't retract any of my previous statements how well made this game is. It's a fine game, and it's a fun game. The developers are progressing forward, not backward. They're making headway in systems of game play that are not in other MMOs. So I stick with my original post and again, thank you Bioware.

Edited by Darkrite

Thanks BW for making the storys with adult themes. keep making great features.I take back my gripe about legacy cost, I see the reason for it now since i'm making creds hand over fist.

Keep the game adult themed! hell even go deeper and add same sex romances , more gore more story and more drawing me into me being good or evil.

My advice to devs....avoid the forums! keep working don't stop to look at these threads or waste your time when you could be working on more stuff for patches. encourage some perks for test server people. work on bugs and stay on course!!!

Many of us who took some time to get on board with TOR are here supporting you guys keep up the hard work!