Operative or sniper

vDarkHelmet

I dont have a preference at this point. This is the only class I have not tried. Im a solo player most of the time but would be interested in level 50 content with friends. Can anyone give me a nudge in one direction or the other please?

It's more personal preference than anything. Do you like range or melee? Do you want to heal or deal straight DPS? I myself couldn't decided so I rolled both, got them both around 30ish and still can't decided still. I love them both. So more than anything, do research. Search the forums and look at youtube videos.

Edit: BTW I myself am a solo player as well and both my classes can solo fairly good; my OP being a Medic and my Sniper being Lethality.

Edited by Vheteris
Adding a snip

I've got a 50 Op healer and, while I cant comment on any real endgame stuff yet, I've enjoyed it a lot. Cant tell you how awesome it can feel at times to accidentially let your companion die against a boss then keep yourself alive through a combination of insta-cast heals and stuns and end up being him. But I'm a bit biased in that regard.

Basically it's what was said, personal preference. Ops are much more in your face and Snipers are distance. If you like mobility, go Ops as they really dont stand still for much. If you like being pure damage dealing, I'd suggest Sniper though a good Op can do very good damage as well. The important thing to take away is that, at least in PvP, both classes are mainly for support. Again, a good player can work around this, but you will rarely see an Op charging into combat without allies near him, or at least you shouldn't be doing that. A good tool the Sniper has, though, is that he cant be pulled or pushed, or jumped to if he's in cover, which can really be a nice way to keep people at bay, just ask any Sniper in Huttball.

One thing you really need to take into account though is energy management. If you haven't played this class yet, it will be an adjustment going into it. Again, I feel Op healers have a good tool set to help manage this with good rotations. But, again, find what you like and go with it. Honestly the Agent story is so fun you might just want to roll both and have one go dark and the other light just to see how really different the story can come out!

My Operative sees a lot more action than my Sniper ... Sneaky healy stabby action just can't be beaten on the FUN factor! In fact all my other toons (50 Sorc healer, 47 Powertech DPS, mid-20's Jugg + Sniper + Merc, etc) have seen very little action since I started working on my Operative a few months back.

I love playing sniper. He is just merciless in pvp. I can drop n stack 3 AOEs or just starting picking off anyone in 1 to 2 shots that are under 30 health. If 1 player decides to take me out on his own he usually ends up very surprised as I've gotten dueling down.

It was frustrating at first and I wouldn't recommend it as your first character. Learn the game before you roll a sniper.

But believe me its a fun class, challenging, but dominating if you do things right. God like if you do things right and everyone is ignoring your pew pews.

Op is great if you PvP heavy and like rogue like toons or healing

Sniper is great to Solo Quest with and burst PvP in groups that can protect you from a distance

I will say that Ops and Scoundrels are pretty hard to solo quest level from about 25-38ish. Really Really rough. But its prob the most fun healer in the game and most rogue like when it comes to backstabbing stun locking burst damage. While the sniper is what seems to me, the highest burst damage at range in the game that I have experienced.

Op is heals and primarily dot damage with limited burst plus stealth. Sniper is primarily burst with no heals. I have a battle master sentinel and I prefer my level 36 sniper for damage. That should tell you something. Also the agent as a whole benefits from a strong class story, which is nice.

Operative is a healer, dps in pve is bad. Good at PVP damage dealing or healing though.

Sniper is only a DPS great at PVE damage, but really annoying at PVE because of a terrible cover mechanic.

So... sniper for PVE DPS, operative for pvp or pve heals.