The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Explosive Dart vs Thermal Detonator

Kulraven

Quick question: Im trying to figure out the difference between Explosive Dart and the PT 31 point talent Thermal Detonator. Im only level 29 so I dont have TD yet, but it seems to be included in most PT pvp builds.

From what I can glean reading the tooltips ED and TD have the same range, heat and cooldown. At level 50 ED does 923 damage and TD does 949. Is that the only difference? 26 points?

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Kree

Quick question: Im trying to figure out the difference between Explosive Dart and the PT 31 point talent Thermal Detonator. Im only level 29 so I dont have TD yet, but it seems to be included in most PT pvp builds.

From what I can glean reading the tooltips ED and TD have the same range, heat and cooldown. At level 50 ED does 923 damage and TD does 949. Is that the only difference? 26 points?

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Kree

Remember the Tooltip your reading for ED is calculating your stats where the tooltip in the skill tree isn't. For me:

ED: 1469-1532

TD: 2232-2296

So higher damage and higher crit damage.

Also TD is single target and ED is multi-target. Generally it's better to go for the higher single target damage, but sometimes that aoe explosion is what you need (i.e. right before you die in Voidstar as you're defending a door. Stick an ED on a guy who's capping and you'll stop him and up to 3 others from capping a few seconds after you die).