People who Ignore the Story and Lore of Star Wars...

Everything is about stabbing people with LaserSwords and hitting on Hot Padawans, Huh?

Well, Star Wars is Much Much MUCH more then that.

Star Wars is a Unique Universe, unlike any other. If you have Read some Books or Read a Star Wars wiki, You will know what im talking about...

Star Wars has so much too offer with unlimited Lore behind it such as Darth Maul Surviving (Not Spoiler) and the devious Characters that have there own Story too tell....

Does anyone agree? You will get VERY VERY Bored of SWTOR because the game is mostly a Story, its not an Average MMO.....

Thank You! :D

Depends on what you are interested in. There are a lot of different types of stories in the SW universe.

Some stories in the game are not my cup of tea, stuff to do with espionage and politics which I tend to wear out my spacebar skipping through.

I love the sith and force-user stories though, and so enjoy going through those.

Lucas himself has fallen for this too. Look at the prequel trilogy, and at the clone wars cartoon. How much of those are NOT about playing with glowsticks and hitting on hot padawans (or in the movies' case, queens)?

Is it any real surprise that a new Star Wars game that comes out has little to do besides those things?

My personal gripe is space combat. I think having a single player tunnel shooter in a $100+ Star Wars MMO is fairly insulting to us older Star Wars fans who remember seeing the OT for the first time and wanting to fulfil our pilot fantasies in the cockpit of an X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

One, the story behind the Original Trilogy was entirely about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. It's why there were climactic lightsaber duels between Luke and Vader at the end of both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. It was the struggle of an aspiring Jedi to redeem his Fallen Jedi father. There were also strong romantic overtones with the love triangle between Luke, Leia, and Han which ended with Lucas deciding when he came up with the story for Episode VI that Luke and Leia were actually siblings.

Two, the story behind the Prequel Trilogy was entirely about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. The climaxes of all three were epic lightsaber duels. Oh yeah, there was also the romance between Anakin and Padme throughout the entire trilogy.

Stories didn't start centering around non-Force Users and being devoid of romances in the Star Wars Universe until the EU. At that point it depended on the personal biases of the authors of the stories as to who was going to be the protagonist of the story.

Bioware stated from the start they are trying to capture the feel of the films with the stories told in TOR. In my opinion they did a great job. I never find myself getting bored while playing the characters I like, nor with the characters I haven't started liking yet, I just haven't found a way in which to connect to them yet. I have the utmost faith that Bioware will continue to make additions to the game that will keep me spending my $15 a month for some time to come.

Also, I am nobody's parent but, I was a live to have seen parts of the Original Trilogy in its original theatrical release. I remember purple Force Lightning, when Han shot first, and when Sebastian Shaw was the Force Ghost for Anakin at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars is the way of life! Im playing this and Elder Scroll Online. My dad is Star Wars fan so am I and proud. I just love to take lightsaber out and head to combat, I get chills when I hear the sound of it. Edited by BlueFromMoon

For me story wise, it is about the lure of the force. How it can break a man and turn him to the darkside, or how he can find peace in it and become one with the force. I tend to love lightsaber duels between the dark and the light as they argue which side is stronger and the correct path one should take. I also like the smuggler/pilot side of it. In the middle of a war between good and evil, we need ace pilots to help out, but without being allied to either side. Love the story of a good ol' scoundrel trying to make some money in a intergalatic war.

Sorry, never thought the space battles were that interesting in the movies or games. Do not mind it at all though, and I understand that it is a major part of Star Wars. So I would not be against any new features in that department.

Edited by SentinelDranoel

Star Wars is a Unique Universe, unlike any other.

Not quite. He ripped off Frank Herbert for quite a bit of what you see in Star Wars.

Luke Skywalker is basically Paul Atreides.

Tatooine is Arrakis with smaller sandworms.

Stormtroopers are the Sardaukar.

Spice is.. well... Spice.

You get the idea. :D

Most kids on this forum base all their SW knowledge of off the games.

It is unfortunate, because there is such a great EU story out there to read.

And this is why they all think Starkiller or Vitiate or Kyle Katarn were the baddest dewds ever!!

Read some novels

Not quite. He ripped off Frank Herbert for quite a bit of what you see in Star Wars.

Luke Skywalker is basically Paul Atreides.

Tatooine is Arrakis with smaller sandworms.

Stormtroopers are the Sardaukar.

Spice is.. well... Spice.

You get the idea. :D

Technically, Spice only ripped the name. Star Wars Spice is a drug. Dune Spice is the most valuable element in the Dune universe.

Not to mention, there are far more IPs than just Dune. Flash Gordon, King Arthur, Akira Kurosawa's Samurai movies...etc.

Technically, Spice only ripped the name. Star Wars Spice is a drug.

As I understand, originally for Star Wars, spice was a reference to the spice trades of old and were actual food spices rather then drugs. The EU later changed it to a drug.

Edited by Asrei

As I understand, originally for Star Wars, spice was a reference to the spice trades of old and were actual food spices rather then drugs. The EU later changed it to a drug.

Han Solo was a spice smuggler, actually. That was established in the movies. He was a drug runner for Jabba.

Which is why changing that scene where Han gunned down Greedo in A New Hope was probably the worst retcon of George by George. It was meant to show how ruthless and cold blooded Han Solo actually was. The OT was also a story about Han Solo and how he changed from a drug running thug into a true hero.

But when George made Greedo shoot first, that message was lost.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Han Solo was a spice smuggler, actually. That was established in the movies. He was a drug runner for Jabba.

Except the OT never established spice as anything beyond something Han smuggled for Jabba. Many assumed it must therefore be a drug but given that Star Wars was more of a fantasy in space then a true SiFi, it's quite possible that it was meant to just be spice, a commodity for which nations used to go to war over. Though I don't have anything to link to, I do recall reading an article in which Lucas claimed that was the intended reference.

Except the OT never established spice as anything beyond something Han smuggled for Jabba. Many assumed it must therefore be a drug but given that Star Wars was more of a fantasy in space then a true SiFi, it's quite possible that it was meant to just be spice, a commodity for which nations used to go to war over. Though I don't have anything to link to, I do recall reading an article in which Lucas claimed that was the intended reference.

Spice was contraband. It had not been established what it was. It was just called Spice and it was illegal to transport. It is one natural conclusion to draw that it is a narcotic.

Spice was contraband. It had not been established what it was. It was just called Spice and it was illegal to transport. It is one natural conclusion to draw that it is a narcotic.

Well illegal things doesn't always mean drugs, some exotic spices could be considered contraband.

Doesn't have to be contraband, he could have just been smuggling it past Imperial check points to avoid tariffs or trade embargoes, or to circumvent some companies exclusive trading rights.I'm not saying it was a bad conclusion, just that it wasn't necessarily the intended one.

Doesn't have to be contraband, he could have just been smuggling it past Imperial check points to avoid tariffs or trade embargoes, or to circumvent some companies exclusive trading rights.I'm not saying it was a bad conclusion, just that it wasn't necessarily the intended one.

But also, the fact that the "Spice is a Drug" fact has never been retconned, and pretty much 90% of Star Wars fans already had that in their minds before it was expanded upon in the ExU, it makes the most sense. Han ran Spice for Jabba, and ended up having to dump his cargo before an Imperial Star Destroyer boarded him.

Well, considering Contraband means smuggled goods...

Well illegal things doesn't always mean drugs, some exotic spices could be considered contraband.

Never said always, I said it was one logical conclusion, meaning there are other conclusions to which one could come.

But also, the fact that the "Spice is a Drug" fact has never been retconned, and pretty much 90% of Star Wars fans already had that in their minds before it was expanded upon in the ExU, it makes the most sense. Han ran Spice for Jabba, and ended up having to dump his cargo before an Imperial Star Destroyer boarded him.

Well yes, it makes more sense as a drug and I wouldn't have that changed, was just saying that, as I understand it, spice wasn't meant to be drugs.

Which is why changing that scene where Han gunned down Greedo in A New Hope was probably the worst retcon of George by George. It was meant to show how ruthless and cold blooded Han Solo actually was. The OT was also a story about Han Solo and how he changed from a drug running thug into a true hero.

But when George made Greedo shoot first, that message was lost.

Hear hear. Han Solo was actually a foreshadowing analogue to Darth Vader. In Star Wars, we saw Han at his lowest: he tries to bilk people for money for a ride off a planet, he kills in cold blood someone who threatened that his ship would be taken from him, he was at times a coward and a reckless gallant. His arrival to save Luke at the end of the film was a surprise to the audience (and probably to Han himself).

In Empire, Han's been with the Rebellion for three years, but we see the old Han coming back; after a run-in with a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell (the EU will later tell us that this was Dengar, who has a very personal vendetta against Solo, but I digress) he is ready to abandon the Rebellion and start trying to find a way to pay off Jabba. His selfishness makes him ignore that fact that the Rebellion is full of people just like him--as General Rieekan said, "A death mark's not an easy thing to live with." But, by the end of the events on Cloud City, Han has realized his love for Leia, and makes it known in a way that only Han Solo could pull off (in what I consider the greatest ad-lib line in motion picture history).

In Return, in what is only his third selfless act in the trilogy, Han finally fully embraces the Rebellion and leads a team on what could be a suicide mission (something he very vocally declined in the first movie). And all this change through love: his love for Leia, his love for Luke as a friend, and probably his finally remembered love of the ideal of freedom.

Meanwhile, in space, Darth Vader has led his son to the Emperor, who plans to convert him or kill him. In the end, Darth Vader performs his first selfless act in at least 22 years by sacrificing himself to save his son. Just as we saw with Han Solo, love was the catalyst that brought Vader back to the loving person he was before his fears caused him to make a very selfish and life-changing decision in Palpatine's office that set him on a path to the depths of despair and evil.

By changing one scene in A New Hope, the transformation of Han Solo was greatly lessened, and the depth of the character was shallowed as a result.

Edited by JacenHallis

Hear hear. Han Solo was actually a foreshadowing analogue to Darth Vader. In Star Wars, we saw Han at his lowest: he tries to bilk people for money for a ride off a planet, he kills in cold blood someone who threatened that his ship would be taken from him, he was at times a coward and a reckless gallant. His arrival to save Luke at the end of the film was a surprise to the audience (and probably to Han himself).

In Empire, Han's been with the Rebellion for three years, but we see the old Han coming back; after a run-in with a bounty hunter on Ord Mantell (the EU will later tell us that this was Dengar, who has a very personal vendetta against Solo, but I digress) he is ready to abandon the Rebellion and start trying to find a way to pay off Jabba. His selfishness makes him ignore that fact that the Rebellion is full of people just like him--as General Rieekan said, "A death mark's not an easy thing to live with." But, by the end of the events on Cloud City, Han has realized his love for Leia, and makes it known in a way that only Han Solo could pull off (in what I consider the greatest ad-lib line in motion picture history).

In Return, in what is only his third selfless act in the trilogy, Han finally fully embraces the Rebellion and leads a team on what could be a suicide mission (something he very vocally declined in the first movie). And all this change through love: his love for Leia, his love for Luke as a friend, and probably his finally remembered love of the ideal of freedom.

Meanwhile, in space, Darth Vader has led his son to the Emperor, who plans to convert him or kill him. In the end, Darth Vader performs his first selfless act in at least 22 years by sacrificing himself to save his son. Just as we saw with Han Solo, love was the catalyst that brought Vader back to the loving person he was before his fears caused him to make a very selfish and life-changing decision in Palpatine's office that set him on a path to the depths of despair and evil.

By changing one scene in A New Hope, the transformation of Han Solo was greatly lessened, and the depth of the character was shallowed as a result.

You get it! You actually GET IT!!! +100 to you, sir! :D