Annihilation in HM/Ops?

Slangsterr

After looking at my stats and gear and realising that I wasn't doing as much damage as I should have been, I decided to see if Annihilation was actually any better thn Carnage, my current spec.

To test this, I went to the training dummies, and fought for 60 seconds (no stuns, buffs, fury-moves or relics were used.)

I ended up with a total damage of 66653 and a DPS of around 950.

I then respecced, went back and tried again with Annihilation, trying to stick to the rotations suggested.

I ended up with a total damage of 58760, and a DPS of around 760.

Aside from the 6k healing I got during this time, there is nothing to suggest that Annihilation is any better for single-target bosses. I was particularly interested in seeing how the damage would continue while I wasn't there (ie leaving DoTs on Stormcaller while killing the adds under the shield in Explosive conflict)

Can anyone suggest how this is better than Carnage?

fight 5-10 minutes, do not 60k, but 600k dmg. A lot of damage comes from keeping 3 stacks of annilator u cant see it in 60 sec.

And do more runs, u most likely fcked up rotation on 1st try of anni.

Edited by ForeverYoung

After looking at my stats and gear and realising that I wasn't doing as much damage as I should have been, I decided to see if Annihilation was actually any better thn Carnage, my current spec.

To test this, I went to the training dummies, and fought for 60 seconds (no stuns, buffs, fury-moves or relics were used.)

I then respecced, went back and tried again with Annihilation, trying to stick to the rotations suggested.

I ended up with a total damage of 58760, and a DPS of around 760.

Aside from the 6k healing I got during this time, there is nothing to suggest that Annihilation is any better for single-target bosses. I was particularly interested in seeing how the damage would continue while I wasn't there (ie leaving DoTs on Stormcaller while killing the adds under the shield in Explosive conflict)

Can anyone suggest how this is better than Carnage?

Post 1.2, it's nothing more than personal preference. In terms of Burst/Sustained damage, they're about even. Annihilation has the utility of 2% per tick self-heals for the ops, Carnage has the utility of the buffed predation for the ops. Overall, I would go with Carnage (which I do lol) because of it's ability to drop ALL of it's significant DPS within an 8 second window. Annihilation will still throw better numbers over a long fight though; it'll outshine Carnage during fights like Bonethrasher and Garj. Carnage will shine during SOA and the Heavy Fabricator. It really just depends on preference at the end of the day.

I don't get why people would test without being buffed fully,and not use stims and relics on the test dummy.

There is absolutely no point in doing it that way at all.

When you're in an ops, you're going to be going all out on a boss fight,you'll be fully buffed,relics and stims, etc...

As said above, 60 seconds isn't enough time to test, go for 3-5 minutes.

I can do 1,200 on the ops dummy in Annhilation spec using ACT parser... fully self buffed.

Note: some parsers are way different than others in their final numbers.

I ran my own tests a week ago, for 6 minutes each, with full buffs. I had to spend a bunch of time on Carnage because I was unfamiliar with it at first, but I did get it down and watched the meter improve.

Annihilation: ~1520 dps

Carnage: ~1350 dps

I'm gonna stick with my Annihilation :)

Post 1.2, it's nothing more than personal preference. In terms of Burst/Sustained damage, they're about even. Annihilation has the utility of 2% per tick self-heals for the ops, Carnage has the utility of the buffed predation for the ops. Overall, I would go with Carnage (which I do lol) because of it's ability to drop ALL of it's significant DPS within an 8 second window. Annihilation will still throw better numbers over a long fight though; it'll outshine Carnage during fights like Bonethrasher and Garj. Carnage will shine during SOA and the Heavy Fabricator. It really just depends on preference at the end of the day.

very very wrong. Annihilation is still heads above every other spec in the game... Carnage is still outdone by Vig juggs, and rage is laughable regardless of what you are trying to do.

Theorycrafting and trying new rotations is all fine and dandy, but Annihilation especially takes some getting use to. Popular opinion is a debate on Anni vs Carn everywhere you look. Some can even claim success with Rage, but that at least is remote. I think the biggest difference is that most Annihilation specs are going to be aimed at pvp and used pve as a sort of second. The two playstyles are very different so actually getting comfortable with the 'rotation' is the obvious key to effective numbers. Dont rule either out, but try both and see what you think is easier vs funner vs statistically better. I have run better Carn in the past as it covers my mistakes a little easier, but as Anni I have way more fun, even if I dont provide optimized effiecency occasionally lol.

Sithwarrior.com offers some really good advice on these builds theory crafting and spec wise.