I think I might be leaving, guys.

Brosephiine

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, generally speaking, MMO forums aren't filled with people raving about the game in a positive light, because they are too busy enjoying it!

If you are after a community, I would look for a nice social guild, with a website :)

Humm ... how about trying to translate "selective hearing" to "selective reading"?

I mean, if you've been on game forums for a while there should be almost nothing surprising anymore. It's the same pattern, most topics are the same - a few twists here and there. But every now and then you find some gems - the keepers. For me that doesn't necessarily means it's something I can contribute to - but it's worth reading and might give me new ideas, thoughts or simply a laugh.

As much as moderation of forums can do (and I think they are doing a great job, as well as balancing what to moderate and what not) - at the end it's up to us.

Well, that's the best I can do trying to give you a reason to "stay" on the forum. If it starts to make your game experience less enjoyable then do take a little break. Other than that I will miss reading your threads :)

Humm ... how about trying to translate "selective hearing" to "selective reading"?

I mean, if you've been on game forums for a while there should be almost nothing surprising anymore. It's the same pattern, most topics are the same - a few twists here and there. But every now and then you find some gems - the keepers. For me that doesn't necessarily means it's something I can contribute to - but it's worth reading and might give me new ideas, thoughts or simply a laugh.

As much as moderation of forums can do (and I think they are doing a great job, as well as balancing what to moderate and what not) - at the end it's up to us.

Well, that's the best I can do trying to give you a reason to "stay" on the forum. If it starts to make your game experience less enjoyable then do take a little break. Other than that I will miss reading your threads :)

Perhaps I'm used to having more gems than I've found here so far. :< Honestly, I'm really only mildly disappointed in the forums. Hell, I come back when I've got nothing else to do. xD

The community is bad because the game is bad. Any time a game fails like this, you will have upset people complaining constantly. Thats life , especially when a company ruins a Star Wars title :(

But here's the thing: I don't think the game is bad at all. I love the game and I think BW did a pretty damn good job so far. Are there issues still? Of course, there's always going to be issues in an MMO because an MMO is never done. :]

Sorry, you are not paying me 14.99$ a month to give you reasons to stay.

However, Bioware is using your money to improve the game. If you don't have the patience to wait, then may I suggest the game is better off without you?

If not, then I DON'T CARE!

This is about the forum. Not the game. I love the game. :]

I understand your point of view.

Before SWTOR, I never really read and wrote comments in mmo forums. I quickly noticed that "Community" and "General Discussion" are two really "special" sections. It's filled with so much black-or-white points of view, argumentative fallacies, doomsday comments, hatred, multiple reposts of the same subject, I-know-everything-and-I-know-how-to-save-SWTOR posts, Me-I-Myself opinions, Do-as-I-say-or-I-leave-the-game posts, depressing comments, trolling.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep coming back here. I think it's mostly because of people like you who post intelligent, interesting and civilized comments. So please, stay or take a break and come back. :)

Now I'm just flattered. :D

Forums have the most action because, in my experience its where most of the people from this game socialize. There is no global, er universal? channel for people to talk to each other other than guild chats. There is not much in game to encourage a social community, aside from grouping, i mean just chatting. Ive been on the forums for 2 hours now, enough to see the fleet population peak at 8 people with maybe 4-5 entries in fleet chat. It makes me sad too. I would even settle for trolls, noobs, flamers, and know it alls! just to brighten up chat

Oh wow, that's really bad. D: I've seen Republic fleet peak at 38 people on Daragon Trail, but Empire peaks at over 100. It's imbalanced, but not that bad compared to your peak. D: I kinda wish more people would chat too. Debating rolling on a higher pop server for fun.

create a thread to just shoot the breeze on an out of the way forum and people will come. we did it and it lasted a long time.

I've been debating on doing this, though I'd like to give it a shot here in the Community forum. It's the first place I came to here and the one I still visit the most frequently.

Hey, I said I would miss you too! Typical.

Hutts are overrated btw. Utinni! :jawa_cool:

I love Jawas. Seriously. After my stint in Tatooine on my Jedi, I made a post on facebook or something that said, "Screw ponies, I want a fricken Jawa."

Most adorable things ever. : D

If the Forum Community is the only reason you are leaving - I'd say you are out of luck, wherever you go. (At least if you plan on heading to any "big" MMO.

There will always be someone happy. Someone unhappy. Someone raging. Someone raging at the people raging.

Someone asking for nerfs. Someone asking for buffs.

Someone posting why the game is awesome and asking when the next content patch is around. Someone posting why the game sucks and is dying.

Someone saying that there aren't enough patches. Someone whining because their gaming time was reduced due to the latest maintenance patch-related.

.. You know where I'm heading.

The only thing I can suggest - is to create your own little community within the game - fansite, guild, dunno - and feel like you belong there somehow.

QFT. I can't wait for GW2 to come out and see all the raging disappointment. Am I the only one that sees this pattern with every MMO launch? There are a ton of people who say this game will be the messiah. The WoW killer so to speak. Then it launches and everyone is spouting its imminent doom.

Let me put it into perspective for all the haters. Yes, they are haters. Anyone who says SWTOR will die is a hater. Here's the truth. FFXIV is probably the most disastrous MMO launch and post launch. It's still alive and kicking. If THAT game can survive with its undoubtedly huge budget, so can SWTOR. And even that, the 1.3Million current subscribers is NOTHING to scoff at. I suspect that those subs will drop further. And even if the game tapers off at <1 Million it doesn't matter. The game will still trek on.

QFT. I can't wait for GW2 to come out and see all the raging disappointment. Am I the only one that sees this pattern with every MMO launch? There are a ton of people who say this game will be the messiah. The WoW killer so to speak. Then it launches and everyone is spouting its imminent doom.

Let me put it into perspective for all the haters. Yes, they are haters. Anyone who says SWTOR will die is a hater. Here's the truth. FFXIV is probably the most disastrous MMO launch and post launch. It's still alive and kicking. If THAT game can survive with its undoubtedly huge budget, so can SWTOR. And even that, the 1.3Million current subscribers is NOTHING to scoff at. I suspect that those subs will drop further. And even if the game tapers off at <1 Million it doesn't matter. The game will still trek on.

I'm used to the haters, really. I just wish there was more of a community from those who are sticking around I guess.

On a totally unrelated note, your forum name almost made me cry. :<

To elaborate: I'm assuming it's a variation of Beowulf? If it isn't, it's so close to it. My friend was nicknamed Beowulf, I don't even remember why lol. But her birthday just passed and it's getting close to the time of year when she died. D:

Good name though, just brings up thoughts of sadness for me. :<

Edited by Brosephiine

... Only if your avatar is the Hutt you're posting with. :cool:

Oh baby, that's an old picture! I'm much larger now! :csw_jabba:

I'm sad that servers don't have their own forums. Back in the good old WoW days I had oodles of fun on my local forum - it wasn't necessarily a place where everyone on the server went of course, but it had a good community of people from the server nevertheless.

With servers all bunched up in groups, it's hard to feel some belonging. The way you're forced to announce what server you're making a post for seems to birth a drive to only make these general server-wide-issue posts.

[Master Dar'Nala] Feared players in PvP/Warzones.

[iron Citadel] Tournament of Blood and Sand, May 16

[infinite Empire] State of PvP on this server

Just a few random posts from my server group forum. Not that there's anything wrong with those posts, but they're official-y; there aren't many just for the laughs or about how guy A camped guy B and thought he was poo.

Oh baby, that's an old picture! I'm much larger now! :csw_jabba:

I'm sad that servers don't have their own forums. Back in the good old WoW days I had oodles of fun on my local forum - it wasn't necessarily a place where everyone on the server went of course, but it had a good community of people from the server nevertheless.

With servers all bunched up in groups, it's hard to feel some belonging. The way you're forced to announce what server you're making a post for seems to birth a drive to only make these general server-wide-issue posts.

[Master Dar'Nala] Feared players in PvP/Warzones.

[iron Citadel] Tournament of Blood and Sand, May 16

[infinite Empire] State of PvP on this server

Just a few random posts from my server group forum. Not that there's anything wrong with those posts, but they're official-y; there aren't many just for the laughs or about how guy A camped guy B and thought he was poo.

Gettin' me all hot and bothered. ;)

Yeah, I only popped into my server forum on WoW a few times, but there was a definite sense of community. Regardless of faction, people mingled and made friends. We've got a facebook group for Thrall US too. xD I agree that the server "forums" are lacking. I get the idea, but I'm not sure why they didn't just make individual forums for servers. Perhaps it's because they're planning to close/merge servers come early summer? Just a guess, but it'd be nice to see some actual server forums eventually.

All game forums have this problem

Even in a game as established as WoW we have today in their general forums

Several posts stating wow is dead,dying and ruined by many things

Pvp topic include rateds ruining wow pvp , my alts can't compete in pvp, gears to hard to get

World pvp is dead mop better fix it

Just a few random topic for their forums it practically mirrors the forums here

Which makes me think it's just people in general And not the game

All game forums have this problem

Even in a game as established as WoW we have today in their general forums

Several posts stating wow is dead,dying and ruined by many things

Pvp topic include rateds ruining wow pvp , my alts can't compete in pvp, gears to hard to get

World pvp is dead mop better fix it

Just a few random topic for their forums it practically mirrors the forums here

Which makes me think it's just people in general And not the game

Yep, the most popular topic on the WoW forums atm is some RP dude doing an apology to the WoW community in a desperate bid to stop his *** from getting banned and suffering a similar fate to that of his two friends who got banned for being abusive (I think, hard to fathom exactly what there crime was)

Anyway, that pritty much sums it all up for me now with regards to WoW, people only venture back into reality when the drug dealer (Blizzard) threatens to remove supply of the drug (WoW)

Community ?, I don't see any community anymore, in any game, all I see is -

1. A group of people who are so hopelessly addicted to their chosen MMO that it has removed them totally from all sense of reality, I heard a guy refer to WoW on a forum as "Heroincraft", made me lol, and is not far from the truth.

2. A group of Casuals who just wanna have fun and seem to care very little about community, they jump from game to game getting a fast easy kick, nothing wrong with that, games are about fun.

:)

It's easier to moderate a few sub forums rather than about a hundred, I think that is why they did not make server forums. Or at least one of the reasons.

That could be it. Perhaps their forum group is understaffed?

There's a number of reasons they could've done it this way.

That could be it. Perhaps their forum group is understaffed?

There's a number of reasons they could've done it this way.

Well. These forums - believe it or not - are a lot more clean than the forums in WoW. Of course WoW has a larger influx of players, but they also have more forums to keep track of with less people (I think). I actually think Bioware does a good job on the forums in general... We just need server forums.

Personally I think it was a business decision gone wrong. They do not want to spend money on server forums because they do not see the use for it. As a result of that, a lack of global LFG and low populations servers crash and burn. It reflects on the forums.

But I am just speculating(talking out of my arse), so hey. :rolleyes:

Well. These forums - believe it or not - are a lot more clean than the forums in WoW. Of course WoW has a larger influx of players, but they also have more forums to keep track of with less people (I think). I actually think Bioware does a good job on the forums in general... We just need server forums.

Personally I think it was a business decision gone wrong. They do not want to spend money on server forums because they do not see the use for it. As a result of that, a lack of global LFG and low populations servers crash and burn. It reflects on the forums.

But I am just speculating(talking out of my arse), so hey. :rolleyes:

It could be accurate though. I mean, it certainly makes sense.

And I agree, BW does a good job on the forums.

Though I'm not fond of this new site look. >_>

It's kind of bulky.

I'm in the same boat. In my opinion the vast majority of these forums are just plain depressing to read. I still really enjoy the game, I have a great guild and a moderately well populated server (not completely dead, around 70 - 150 people on the rep fleet a night).

I haven't enjoyed playing an mmo this much since TBC way back in 2007, despite the all of the problems the game is currently having with the god awful community and all of the bugs etc. It has some real potential which is why I intend to stick around for the long haul but whenever I come to these forums I can't help but think "how did it get to this?".

I find it a little sad that when someone states that they like a game on its own forums they get attacked for it. Its almost as though people want to see this game fail for whatever reason. Why would anyone want to see a game that people have worked hard on for almost 5 years fail? I just hope once these "people's" subscriptions run out the game can finally get back on track and the community can stabilize and players who like the game can use the forums again without being branded a "fanboi" or "bio-drone". Until that day comes I think I may have to find a way to block http://www.swotor.com/community from my browser or something.

Sorry for the wall of text, thought id rather post it here than start another thread on the same subject.

I'm in the same boat. In my opinion the vast majority of these forums are just plain depressing to read. I still really enjoy the game, I have a great guild and a moderately well populated server (not completely dead, around 70 - 150 people on the rep fleet a night).

I haven't enjoyed playing an mmo this much since TBC way back in 2007, despite the all of the problems the game is currently having with the god awful community and all of the bugs etc. It has some real potential which is why I intend to stick around for the long haul but whenever I come to these forums I can't help but think "how did it get to this?".

I find it a little sad that when someone states that they like a game on its own forums they get attacked for it. Its almost as though people want to see this game fail for whatever reason. Why would anyone want to see a game that people have worked hard on for almost 5 years fail? I just hope once these "people's" subscriptions run out the game can finally get back on track and the community can stabilize and players who like the game can use the forums again without being branded a "fanboi" or "bio-drone". Until that day comes I think I may have to find a way to block http://www.swotor.com/community from my browser or something.

Sorry for the wall of text, thought id rather post it here than start another thread on the same subject.

There are some rare gems in the community forum. I'm thinking of creating a thread just for hangin' out, as someone suggested in here earlier. But yeah, the community makes me want to punt puppies. If someone admitted that all the naysayers were paying just to troll the forums, I wouldn't be surprised.

I think the issue is that there are so many people who want things done their way and on their schedule and when it's not, they rage. :s And we're the ones that get to deal with that fallout.