Imprisoned.. droids!?

Rilauven

I noticed this on Belsavis today. Some of the prisoners are Assassin Droids. I know this for a fact as I was on a bonus quest to defeat escape prisoners, "killed" an Assassin Droid, and it counted!

This seems like unnessecarily adding to the prison over population problem the planet is clearly suffering from. Why not memory wipe the droids and reprgram them into guards? or just fracking shut them off!

I suppose a few of them could be sentient. but still, how do you rehabilitate a droid without reprogramming it?

That's one thing about Star Wars lore that has always confused me.

A droids people? Or are they just servants? Or if their servants are they still people?

Well, in the Trooper quest line, Four X is definitely given above servant status - and frankly, he started to scare me.

*spoiler*

In other republic quests, and even an imp companion, you hear about robots becoming sentient because their memory was wiped often enough.

/end spoiler

It's the Republic - they don't have the will or competence to handle misbehaved droids. Instead, assassin droids are given lifetime sentences at public expense to sit and ponder the gravity of their misspent youth.

because attempting to shut them down would constitute a threat to them, and activate self defense programming, leading them to run rampant. imprisonment simmply keeps them from going anywhere.

or maybe im just crazy.