Do melee outperform ranged?

Qonor

Generally speaking, do melee damage dealers currently outperform ranged damage dealers on operations bosses, since we (melee) can attack while moving? I don't have a ranged damage dealer alt, so I'm not sure how the other side plays. Thanks!

No, more like the opposite. My guild has run into problems due to too much melee dps. Melee is more easily shut down by knockbacks, and more susceptible to damage in fights, generally.

Plus classes like the scoundrel (mine) have positioning requirements that means you have to take the extra time to get behind a large boss, etc...

In terms of dps lost to fight mechanics neither ranged nor melee are favored. There are just as many fights that require running around like chickens to avoid raid damage that interrupt ranged attacking as there are knockbacks on melee (and op-wide knockbacks are a problem for ranged too).

I will admit that in terms of damage taken melee generally gets the short end of the stick and have to eat damage that ranged don't have to worry about.

As melee dps its a long way to learn all the AoE attacks a boss does and attempt to avoid as many,but you are going to be taking a ******** of damage.

Ranged dps is easy mode, melee dps requires you to know more then your own basic rotation on a boss fight.

As melee dps its a long way to learn all the AoE attacks a boss does and attempt to avoid as many,but you are going to be taking a ******** of damage.

Ranged dps is easy mode, melee dps requires you to know more then your own basic rotation on a boss fight.

Lies. There's just as many things to dodge, if not more, for ranged classes, as there are for melee. Melee just eats more unavoidable damage; it's the healers job to deal with it, they just need to know when to run away if healers fall behind. Not exactly any significant difference in skill required.

• 5 weeks later...

Arzoo you're totally right, except for on the following fights:

Eternity Vault:

-Gharj (Not affected by pounce as ranged)

-Pylons (Can still effectively dps mobs as ranged while doing the puzzle, although more often than not ranged don't volunteer to do the puzzle)

-Soa (Ranged can still dps while melee are running to group for the ground shatter phases)

Karragga's Palace:

-Bonethrasher (Easier to avoid swipe as ranged, also to notice he has you targeted)

-Jarg and Sorno (Easier to avoid AoE flamethrower)

-Fabricator (Not affected by close range abilities, fewer melee makes fight easier, melee have to break from boss in bonus damage mode to kill stun droids)

-Karragga (Mouse droids can be taken out at a distance, not affected by flame trail so not affected by positioning)

Haven't completed a lot of EC/Denova, but the first boss is way easier with more ranged to soak up heals, melee have to be perfectly behind the boss or may get cleaved if too close (under him), or a little to the side. Ranged can still dps during the switch, as where melee really don't want to be in the middle during switch.

Haven't completed a lot of EC/Denova, but the first boss is way easier with more ranged to soak up heals, melee have to be perfectly behind the boss or may get cleaved if too close (under him), or a little to the side. Ranged can still dps during the switch, as where melee really don't want to be in the middle during switch.

Explosive Conflict:

- Toth & Zorn: Ranged take absolutely no damage from the jump, whereas many (geared) melee will be one-shotted. Ranged also never get Mental Anguish (or Fearful) if they're correctly positioned.

- Stormcaller & Firebrand: Melee have a slight advantage in interrupting Double Destruction. Ranged DPS are able to kite lightning, while melee cannot. (this is a pretty big deal since it frees your healers from this duty) Ranged DPS can also more easily swap bosses as necessary to even out HP

- Minefield: On hard mode, ranged DPS are essential. I don't think it's possible to complete this fight without two or more ranged DPS, since the adds will destroy you without being DPS'd at range

- Kephess: Ranged DPS have faster uptime on the bombers, which are the main check in this fight. Ranged can DPS the pulsar droids from outside the AoE. They also have much higher uptime on Kephess as he moves back and forth between the two tanks (no worries about positioning leading to a one-shot from the slash).

Nightmare Pilgrim

- Ranged are slightly penalized because they have more channeled/casted abilities and it is harder for them to see the reactive shield. Not a huge problem, just requires them to pay more attention than usual. Melee are (oddly) not penalized on this fight

The only fight I can think of where ranged are penalized and melee is not is the final fight of Esseles HM, where Vokk's saber throw ability has a damage scalar with distance. Thus, ranged can get one-shotted (especially in Columi) while melee take no damage at all.

At this point, I'm pretty sure BioWare is full of it when they claim that any selection of classes can beat any content. When there are fights (like Minefield) that have a hard-requirement for a particular DD type, something has gone seriously wrong. Add to that the other penalties that melee suffer over ranged, and you have a game which is systematically biased against a particular DPS type.

I raid lead, and I don't just stack ranged (we usually run 2 melee, 2 ranged), but there are certainly fights where I am painfully aware of how much easier things would be if I just had commandos, gunslingers and sages.

• 2 weeks later...
Arzoo you're totally right, except for on the following fights:

Eternity Vault:

-Gharj (Not affected by pounce as ranged) Sure we get knocked into the lava... Also gotta make sure we don't land in the lava waterfall

-Pylons (Can still effectively dps mobs as ranged while doing the puzzle, although more often than not ranged don't volunteer to do the puzzle) Sure on SM, but everyone has to participate in HM

-Soa (Ranged can still dps while melee are running to group for the ground shatter phases) Sure if we want to continue standing in the pylons doing massive damage...

Karragga's Palace:

-Bonethrasher (Easier to avoid swipe as ranged, also to notice he has you targeted) Or you can stand behind him...

-Jarg and Sorno (Easier to avoid AoE flamethrower) He pulls us in...

-Fabricator (Not affected by close range abilities, fewer melee makes fight easier, melee have to break from boss in bonus damage mode to kill stun droids) Probably something you dont notice.

-Karragga (Mouse droids can be taken out at a distance, not affected by flame trail so not affected by positioning) Never done this fight

Sure, seems to me like you should play a RDPS before you start saying it doesn't require skill

Sure, seems to me like you should play a RDPS before you start saying it doesn't require skill

when you compare the skill needed to play RDPS next to MDPS it doesn't require anything... not only are the melee classes the ones with the higher skills caps your raid awareness must be far superior to a RPDS, before you try to say RDPS is something that you even need to pay attention to while play try playing melee.

Lies. There's just as many things to dodge, if not more, for ranged classes, as there are for melee. Melee just eats more unavoidable damage; it's the healers job to deal with it, they just need to know when to run away if healers fall behind. Not exactly any significant difference in skill required.

you have not need a melee DPSer before, and if you think ranged has to do much of anything you would never cut it as melee.

It is the way of MMOs, Melee character in gerneal take a more skilled player then ranged simply because we have to watch more crap coming from the boss as well as moving with the boss, while ranges just stand there facrolling. On top of that the ranged classes in this game are far simplier in terms of mechanics, it takes nothing but a dippy bird to play something like a mercenry DPS compared to a marauder DPS>

I do agree that ranged dps is easier to play. If you don't believe that fact, try to run an ops raid with nothing but melee dps on HM. You'll quickly see the issues both in healing and logistics.

I had 2 guilds back before Patch 1.2, one on the Republic side and one on the Empire side. The Empire group I ran with had mostly ranged dps, with 1 melee dps from time to time. Even one of the tanks was sort of a ranged class. We cleared both EV and KP HM no issues.

The other guild I ran with was on the Republic side and we barely cleared EV and KP SM. We had so many melee classes stacked, it was the opposite of the other group. We had only 1 ranged dps most of the time, 2 if we were lucky. This attributed to more damage to the raid since we were in melee range, as well as not being able to execute some ranged dps mechanics.

First boss of EV you couldn't do the ranged stand out and dps while missiles were flying strategy. 2nd boss of EV you had more melee dps that had to run out and avoid his pounces. Even Soa is easier as ranged dps, less stuff to be aware of and not getting hit by the pylons.

For KP its easier on the Bonethrasher as ranged dps to avoid his cleave. The puzzle boss almost required ranged dps to be up there turning the buttons. I think the only fight that actually benefits melee is Karaga's last boss but range don't have to that bad.

These fights along with most MMOs generally have always favored ranged dps over melee. There might be a handful of encounters in all MMOs that benefit melee more than ranged, but that's only a handful of the hundreds of encounters designed. Ranged will always have it much easier in both uptime and ease of avoiding crap.