when will swtor be available in mac osx

VidRod

some months ago bioware announced they were going to port the game to osx once the game ran normally. the game runs pretty normal to me,so when are we mac users will be able to play in osx rather than the not so perfect bootcamp?

Oh yeah... inferior machine.... that is basically all the same parts half you "elitist" wannabe's drool over on egghead.

And at only 10x the cost too!

Seriously though. One of the first Q&As answered this. They basically said there were no efforts towards a mac client currently.

While boot camp may be 'not so perfect,' my experience with any game ported(heck, even most games that were coded) for os x, they have always run far better on boot camp.

Like others have said, there aren't any plans for porting to os x, and for good reason. I run ToR on bootcamp and it runs beautifully and better as far as I can tell than a lot of others I play with in game. If you're having issues, upgrade your ram. its the cheapest and most notable quality upgrade.

some months ago bioware announced they were going to port the game to osx once the game ran normally. the game runs pretty normal to me,so when are we mac users will be able to play in osx rather than the not so perfect bootcamp?

Links ? Proof ?

AFAIK that complete BS and BW stated precisely otherwise.

Also, Macs are what ? 5-6% of the market ? Why would they ever waste money to support the 5% while they have way more pressing issues to attend to ?

Edited by Rogoo

Seriously, I have to ask. WHY oh WHY did you buy a Mac/Apple and expect to be able to play new released games on it without Bootcamp?

How often does a game ever come out right away for Mac? Pretty much never for 90% of the titles.

You dont buy a Mac to play games... you buy it to do office work and graphic design.

Its like buying a Prius and complaining that I cant go offroading...

Links ? Proof ?

AFAIK that complete BS and BW stated precisely otherwise.

Also, Macs are what ? 5-6% of the market ? Why would they ever waste money to support the 5% while they have way more pressing issues to attend to ?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

Like I have said in 2 other huge threads about this, EA is the ultimate decider if an Mac OSX is made or not. EA will decide if they want to put money in it based on how many more subscribers they can gain. Right now Bioware is not making it, and have told customers that it does play fine on Bootcamp. It could still come, but if and when is the question.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

I seriously don't want them to trouble themselves with making compatibility for an inferior machine.

It's not inferior, just unnecessarily expensive. If I was a game developer I would not waste money for mac. People dont have macs for games you pay a subscription for

It's not inferior, just unnecessarily expensive. If I was a game developer I would not waste money for mac. People dont have macs for games you pay a subscription for

Actually, some do, but the market share of Mac owners isn't enough to entice most game developers to port games to the Mac OS. When they do, the Mac version tends to lag the PC version (at least it used to a long time ago in a galaxy far far away).

They are having enough problems getting this game to run on Windows, its native platform. Don't hold your breath for an OSX game client. You will be waiting a long time.

Except for the biggest MMO in the world. Not a fan of Macs, but let's be serious here.

What's really holding back OSX as a gaming platform is market share and their wonky graphics core setup.

They have such a small install base, and their OpenGl implementation is a mess.

If they can update their graphics core to OpenGL 3.2 or 4.2, then OSX will be a beast at gaming.

Also, AMD and nVidia would need to release stable drivers too.

Edited by theskurGe

• 1 month later...
I bet you all most of the design done to make swtor, was done on a mac.

What is the point of making bets that are likely never going to be resolved. What a coward bet, you never have to worry about being shown wrong.

I bet you all most of the design done to make swtor, was done on a mac.

Go back and watch the dev dispatches .

Dev Dispatch 4 has a closeup of the windows start menu at around 2 minutes as they show how they built Coruscant.

But how does Blizzard able to create Mac version for Diablo 3 and WOW then? There must be a market for Macs guys!!!!

Because Blizzard built thier engines and development tools from the ground up for easier porting and Bioware is using a heavily modified 3rd party engine designed solely for windows.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.