The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My server is dead - we need transfers now, not in early summer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you think servers like ours are dead now, what's going to happen when Diablo 3 goes live a week from tomorrow?

Server Population Data

This is a link to server pops across TOR servers, this one is my server. However, you will be able to see the links for all the rest.

#winning : http://www.torstatus.net/bondar-crystal/history/7d#!/kinrath-spider/history/30d

not even a 1.00 score at this point, it's 0.98

Edited by islander

I honestly think the game will die if they don't bring transfers before the free 30 days are over (which is at the end of May), only people who play on servers like Fatman or Freedon Nadd will keep playing.

Your thought has been noted, analyzed, and found to be hyperbolic and inaccurate. ;)

I'm not sure how a wall of text from a disgruntled ex-employee who self-admittedly "is happy to take potshots from the sidelines" answers my question, but in case it does, congratulations!

Maybe if you took the time to read this thread properly you wouldn't have to ask a question that has been answered multiple times and that only a 15 yo wouldn't be able to understand.

Maybe if you took the time to read this thread properly you wouldn't have to ask a question that has been answered multiple times and that only a 15 yo wouldn't be able to understand.

Which is why I'm copying and pasting responses now. I've answered this type of question over and over again in this thread and so have many, many others. It gets tiring having to reconstruct an argument each and every time because someone thinks their response is original when it is nothing more than a rehash the same thing over and over again.

if you think servers like ours are dead now, what's going to happen when Diablo 3 goes live a week from tomorrow?

#winning : http://www.torstatus.net/bondar-crystal/history/7d#!/kinrath-spider/history/30d

Same thing that happens to all MMOs when a similar Single-player game hits the shelves. People will spend some time playing the Single-player game and continue to play their MMO of choice. I have yet to hear of any Single-player game that killed any MMO.

BJ

Which is why I'm copying and pasting responses now. I've answered this type of question over and over again in this thread and so have many, many others. It gets tiring having to reconstruct an argument each and every time because someone thinks their response is original when it is nothing more than a rehash the same thing over and over again.

I too have grown tired of this guy answering the same question over and over again, read the thread before asking questions we've all read and seen answered over and over please.

Side note: Any of you eat cereal with a fork?

Makes me glad that my server (The Progenitor) isn't one of the ones that are being or have been abandoned, though with an average of 1.40, it's still not exactly much above standard population. Makes me envious of the standard-heavy and heavy populations on other servers.

Same thing that happens to all MMOs when a similar Single-player game hits the shelves. People will spend some time playing the Single-player game and continue to play their MMO of choice. I have yet to hear of any Single-player game that killed any MMO.

BJ

You do realize Diablo 3 isn't a single player only...right?

So Bioware, why wait until early summer with the transfers? There are many server which badly need it now, after the free 30 days will be over they will be completely dead because no sane person will pay to just stand around on fleet for hours doing nothing.

BW needs to implement cross-server WZ queues, merge the pops in dead servers, and eliminate the Factions entirely ASAP.

I'm absolutely stunned that the population situation is as bad as it is already just six months into the game. Keep in mind that D3 releases this week and GW2 isn't even out of beta yet. Things are only going to get worse. BW needs to act quickly.

Edited by DarthOvertone

I think it is less than 1 because of server downtime. Light = 1, sever down = 0. All this means is that your server is "Light" all the time. More importantly, these are 24-hour averages: Even a server with healthy population like Ebon Hawk has a score of "only" 1.52. Like any MMO, there are clearly defined peaks: Off-peak it is much more quiet.

Edited by Kthx

here's what I think BioWare is doing wrong..

My server, Dark Reaper, was one of the most populated servers at launch (constant Heavy status). Now it is always at light. Nowadays, Republic side has an average of 18-20 ppl on the fleet at ANY given time (peak playing times can go up to 40!)

However, the IMP side is not feeling the effects as badly as the Republic side on my server. Imp side has nearly 60-80 people on at a time at the fleet and maybe even over a 100 during peak times.

I really really hope that bioware is not dumb enough to look at the server population as a whole and think "hey this isn't too bad." One faction is CLEARLY suffering a GREAT deal more than the other... they need to do something about this asap.

I have a main 50 Guardian, 50 Gunslinger, 50 Shadow and a few other republic alts that I feel I must abandon to begin leveling a Jugg on the same server just so I can get some games/interaction going on. Hopefully I can transfer my Guardian's gear through the legacy items/system so the grinding won't be as painful on my jugg.

I think it is less than 1 because of server downtime. Light = 1, sever down = 0. All this means is that your server is "Light" all the time. More importantly, these are 24-hour averages: Even a server with healthy population like Ebon Hawk has a score of "only" 1.52. Like any MMO, there are clearly defined peaks: Off-peak it is much more quiet.

I think RP servers are a bit unique in that they likely have more core players rather than your waves of "Flavor of the week" MMOers that come running back for events never to be seen until the next one.

We are actually looking at Ebon Hawke as a transfer when available.

Look at the chart of activity. A server like mine, The Jekk'Jekk Tarr, is only "standard" for 3 hours a day. For 21-hours it is light. Many servers never even hit standard population, ever. Now look at a healthy server such as Fatman or Swiftsure and you'll see a huge difference.

Edited by ironix

For me, mmo is a huge investment. Not even that much on money but is an investment of time. Probably most part of the 50's have more than 10 full days played. That is a huge investment.

This is the printscreen one of my guildies:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/125/impossivel.png

01 ppl at the fleet at 19:50 of a SUNDAY. There is no better definition of a dead server imo.

Here is three facts about the company witch we all invest our time and money:

- Charges people for an unplayable game (on some servers).

- Don't take actions to prevent things like that from happening.

- Don't act immediately to fix an urgent problem like this (Worst than any bug, is a game that you can't play at all)

We (myself and the few survivors from my server) will not wait until early summer for transfers not because we're impatient but because we will not invest any more time and money on a company with those "characteristics".

Solutions:

- Refund people on those servers.

- Give players transfers, merges, whatever

- Never ever charge people for an unplayable game again

The title of this thread says: "My server is dead - we need transfers now, not in early summer"

We are begging for a transfer now, so if BW doesn't fix this now, they will have another fact: Dont listen the costumers.

We will wait (not more than two weeks) to see what happens. If they don't fix this, then good luck with your investment guys.

I really really hope that bioware is not dumb enough to look at the server population as a whole and think "hey this isn't too bad." One faction is CLEARLY suffering a GREAT deal more than the other... they need to do something about this asap.

This is absolutely true. Playing my Imp is 100x more fun than my Pub at the moment. The difference? A constant solid population (although that has halved in the last week alone), quick queue pops, and a legit GTN economy. That is why I advocate and believe BW should seriously consider eliminating Factions entirely. Patch 1.2 was pretty much a step in the direction of promoting Imp Wars and Faction imbalance anyway, BW should just go all the way and remove Faction restrictions completely.

There is no OPvP in this game so Factions don't matter whatsoever, and 1.2 pretty much guaranteed that there will be no way of balancing the Factions for OPvP in the future anyway. Just let all peeps queue for WZs regardless of Faction affiliation. Open up cross-server GTNs on both Fleets so every player can participate in a robust economy.

All the PvE and carebear fluff will be unaffected. You can still have your faction-based stories and not miss a beat so carebears won't QQ about it. It really needs to be done.

Edited by DarthOvertone

Our guild is looking at Swiftsure, but it's all fine and dandy that we are talking about it . . . Until BW implements something we are all fornicated. :eek:

If you mean that you hope that Bioware opens transfers from dead servers to the massively populated ones like Swiftsure, you really should not hold your breath.

17 People on the fleet, and 3 in The Black Hole on the Giradda The Hutt server at the time I'm posting this.

Depressing to say the least.

Something HAS to be done about this, and rather now than somewhere in summer.