The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My server is dead - we need transfers now, not in early summer

Hello everyone. Bioware just made the most successful MMO ever. There are no dead servers. They shouldn't merge servers because it isn't needed and is a waste of resources doing so. The game is expected to rise to 3.5 million players by June 2012. You heard it here first.

:D:D:D:D:D new species has been born the Biotroll :d_tongue:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the game released really well:

Then you all screamed and demanded and threw your tantrums MOAR SERVAHS NAO!

Now you are doing the same but saying: LESS SERVAHS NAO!

Ah the petulance.

So biodrones like yourself dont seem to understand that at launch server caps low and bioware increased it as time went along. Bioware could have allowed a lot more people on servers at launch but no they had them reduced. They even said server pop caps are double now than what they were at launch.

Not only that but i clearly remember Bioware saying pick a server with no queues at the time. This is all Biowares fault. And so what if people wanted more servers at launch? Does it matter no? What matters is Bioware was not prepared for transfers. Transfers should have been ready AT LAUNCH or even in BETA to be used as a back up.

You're being naive. The tech is there. The only reason they are holding it back is to wait for summer breaks to start so they can see how much of the population comes back to properly decide which servers need the free transfer, otherwise they'll be in the exact same situation as they are now.

Right on point. I was saying that to my guildies last night. Summer break is what they are waiting for to do char transfers, after the transfer phase they'll analyse the servers pop status and upon that they will decide which servers to merge. Im sure 1.3 will hit around the summer as well.

Right on point. I was saying that to my guildies last night. Summer break is what they are waiting for to do char transfers, after the transfer phase they'll analyse the servers pop status and upon that they will decide which servers to merge. Im sure 1.3 will hit around the summer as well.

Also, I am sure that it is no coincidence that "early summer" coincides with the end of EA's first fiscal quarter (June 30th).

Edited by ironix

Some of you need to learn how programming and businesses work before you throw tantrums. I am sure part of the queries are already complete. Since they had to do it manually, they probably had to fill in part of the queries by hand and execute it.

Just because part (even if all) of the SQL is finished, you still need to build some sort of interface to interact with it.

Also, just because it has been finished before does not mean it should not be tested, or it should only be tested for 10 minutes. A feature of this scale needs to be tested for weeks before it goes live.

They can get away with testing a GTN fix for 10 minutes that might cause a INCONVENIENCE BUG, but not something like this.

With something like this, they need to test that everything follows you. You might get transfered to the wrong server ID, your bag and money do not follow you, all of your companion affection will not follow you, and more.

So just stop being so demanding. They are working on it, it will be ready when it is ready. Making threats NEVER works out for ANYBODY. If BW kneeled down to everybody that made threats, we would have a lot more bugs because we need it NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW, but BW would STILL get the blame.

If you really cannot wait several weeks or a month, then I think you have far bigger problems. Is this the only game you can play? I still play WoW, Sins of a Solar Empire, Just Cause 2, and Final Fantasy. Just play another game while you wait.

Why is it so important to make threats that something should be done now instead of a few months later at most? Just cancel your subscription and come back when they have it implemented. How hard is that come on?

Some of you need to learn how programming and businesses work before you throw tantrums. I am sure part of the queries are already complete. Since they had to do it manually, they probably had to fill in part of the queries by hand and execute it.

Just because part (even if all) of the SQL is finished, you still need to build some sort of interface to interact with it.

Also, just because it has been finished before does not mean it should not be tested, or it should only be tested for 10 minutes. A feature of this scale needs to be tested for weeks before it goes live.

They can get away with testing a GTN fix for 10 minutes that might cause a INCONVENIENCE BUG, but not something like this.

With something like this, they need to test that everything follows you. You might get transfered to the wrong server ID, your bag and money do not follow you, all of your companion affection will not follow you, and more.

So just stop being so demanding. They are working on it, it will be ready when it is ready. Making threats NEVER works out for ANYBODY. If BW kneeled down to everybody that made threats, we would have a lot more bugs because we need it NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW, but BW would STILL get the blame.

If you really cannot wait several weeks or a month, then I think you have far bigger problems. Is this the only game you can play? I still play WoW, Sins of a Solar Empire, Just Cause 2, and Final Fantasy. Just play another game while you wait.

Why is it so important to make threats that something should be done now instead of a few months later at most? Just cancel your subscription and come back when they have it implemented. How hard is that come on?

I'm not going to bother reiterating position on the software side of this. However, you don't think that just maybe EA/Bioware would have another reason for delaying server transfers? Some financial/management reason perhaps? Perhaps something to do with not wanting to have to put the problem with low population servers into the first quarter's financial report? You know that EA's first fiscal quarter ends "early summer" on June 30th, right?

I'm not going to bother reiterating position on the software side of this. However, you don't think that just maybe EA/Bioware would have another reason for delaying server transfers? Some financial/management reason perhaps? Perhaps something to do with not wanting to have to put the problem with low population servers into the first quarter's financial report? You know that EA's first fiscal quarter ends "early summer" on June 30th, right?

If subscriptions numbers are truly suffering as much as people say JUST because of server transfers, dont you think BW/EA would make this top priority then? I see so many people say subscription numbers are dropping so fast it is even below the 250K mark. If that was truly the case, dont you think something would be done? Or do you think they will stick to a financial agenda even though they lost 80% of the population?

If subscriptions numbers are truly suffering as much as people say JUST because of server transfers, dont you think BW/EA would make this top priority then? I see so many people say subscription numbers are dropping so fast it is even below the 250K mark. If that was truly the case, dont you think something would be done? Or do you think they will stick to a financial agenda even though they lost 80% of the population?

I don't think subscriptions have dropped as drastically as that, but they're spread too thin. They may want to avoid having to admit that fact on the first quarterly report, especially after being voted worst company in America.

So you think they would rather not make money than make lots of money? Really? Wouldnt it look nice on that summer report if they could say something like: "We instituted a new transfer system in swtor that generated additional revenue on top of subscription and box sales." instead of "We still dont have the premium service ready sorry guys."?

You sound like a low level office clone and not a software architect.

To be honest. Moving digital data between databases over internet was tried and tested last millenia.

The fact that character transfers was not in the database/game design from day one just tells me that someone should be shot. (No, not you)

Edited by DarthNiktu

I'd say that all Database Administrators i know would be out of job if each time they needed to engineer a new database transfer system for their companies they took 3 months to implement it. Other than that, your post is just another iteration of laymen sprouting whatever weak arguments they feel asserts their righteous positions. Database transfer have checking mechanisms that prevent tables and elements from migrating, rolling the database back in case there are inconsistencies. This is a poor excuse.

I love this game but as each day passes i'm getting fed up with BW/EA's antics and even more fed up with people that feel they have no problem posting meaningless stuff to justify this state of affairs. I personally don't prowl threads with problems i don't have to defend a company that has enough money and personnel to defend itself.

Surreal...

I'd say that all Database Administrators i know would be out of job if each time they needed to engineer a new database transfer system for their companies they took 3 months to implement it. Other than that, your post is just another iteration of laymen sprouting whatever weak arguments they feel asserts their righteous positions. Database transfer have checking mechanisms that prevent tables and elements from migrating, rolling the database back in case there are inconsistencies. This is a poor excuse.

I love this game but as each day passes i'm getting fed up with BW/EA's antics and even more fed up with people that feel they have no problem posting meaningless stuff to justify this state of affairs. I personally don't prowl threads with problems i don't have to defend a company that has enough money and personnel to defend itself.

Surreal...

I like you. ;)

Unfortunately, like you, myself and many others who are developers have made the argument from a technological standpoint and it has made little difference. These people will simply resort to accusing you of lying about what you do for a living. After all, they know better! From their standpoint, the only reason EA/Bioware would ever take a long time to address issues would be because it is fantastically hard and requires many developers months to implement and test.

Edited by ironix

I dont understand how biodrones can defend not having transfers?

People saying it takes time to code, or have patience or people are blaming US for asking for more servers in early access.

The fact is, this game feels like its still in beta. BIoware Should have had transfers ready AT LAUNCH and ready to be implemented when the time comes (2 months ago).

No one is to blame for this mess except Bioware. They have seen many mmos lose ppl from launch you think they would learn that from EAs other mmo Warhammer?

The main problem is not what they are going to do but what they actually do.

They dont do **** to support the communities on the lowpop servers, they dont respond to tickets properly (they barely read em).

Theyve got to help out where they can but they dont seem to give a ****.

We really need merges not transfers. If say 50% of the population of a light server leave to go to a medium or heavy server, than that light server is even worse off than before.

All the light servers need to be merged together to make at least medium servers.

I personally don't prowl threads with problems i don't have to defend a company that has enough money and personnel to defend itself.

Surreal...

For your information, the company is defending itself on these forums albeit not directly; I do not know if I am being clear enough ;)

Into the topic: I think once BW implement transfers, a number of people will come back but a good number of former players will suffer, like me, the "I don´t miss this game at all" and will not come back.

By this game I mean the current status of SWTOR, If BW improves greatly it (non-linear and live worlds, stars and wars, a sense of belonging) I will come back happily with an open wallet!

Edited by Adsomelk

Why does everyone think that BIOWARE can snap their fingers and everything is magically delicious?

Could you imagine if this game were run by the federal government? There would be assassinations and a revolution.

Chill out! Play something else till they fix it. Or go outside, it's Spring time! Enjoy yourself.

Why does everyone think that BIOWARE can snap their fingers and everything is magically delicious?

Could you imagine if this game were run by the federal government? There would be assassinations and a revolution.

Chill out! Play something else till they fix it. Or go outside, it's Spring time! Enjoy yourself.

They had months to snap their fingers, actually more like years seeing they could have done transfers before game launched.

For your information, the company is defending itself on these forums albeit not directly; I do not know if I am being clear enough ;)

Into the topic: I think once BW implement transfers, a number of people will come back but a good number of former players will suffer, like me, the "I don´t miss this game at all" and will not come back.

By this game I mean the current status of SWTOR, If BW improves greatly it (non-linear and live worlds, stars and wars, a sense of belonging) I will come back happily with an open wallet!

Clear as water man... if only i did not realize that, i might look at this whole affair with a more lenient attitude. ;)

Now when has bioware ever been on time? Early summer means early fall duh. By the time this happens there won't be a population to transfer as everyone will have quit. Seriously, what is BW doing? Even fatman population has declined. The only reason it went up was cause people started rerolling, but they stopped cause how boring and repetitious the leveling experience its. Oh well, they tried,, they just have the wrong people running the show.

I like you. ;)

Unfortunately, like you, myself and many others who are developers have made the argument from a technological standpoint and it has made little difference. These people will simply resort to accusing you of lying about what you do for a living. After all, they know better! From their standpoint, the only reason EA/Bioware would ever take a long time to address issues would be because it is fantastically hard and requires many developers months to implement and test.

I'm a CTO for a software company and I approve this message. Id of fired my DBA for being incompetent. If our company did what this company has done let's just say I wouldn't have a job. Being publicly traded as well, our shareholders would sell and the company would fold... Just upsets me seeing developers lead by morons ruin a product.

The main problem is not what they are going to do but what they actually do.

They dont do **** to support the communities on the lowpop servers, they dont respond to tickets properly (they barely read em).

Theyve got to help out where they can but they dont seem to give a ****.

Call center reps and in game gms are primarily outsourced to Indian call centers. That's why they suck. They barely understand your question let alone the game. We been there, done that, customers just hate talking to someone who ain't got a clue.