Star Wars: Episode I actor Jake Lloyd been through "living hell," says himself

Star Wars: Episode I actor Jake Lloyd has been through "living hell," according to Jake Lloyd ( the actor who played young Anakin Skywalker )

link to full article

http://www.avclub.com/articles/star-wars-episode-i-actor-jake-lloyd-has-been-thro,70466/

These days, Lloyd not only won’t watch Episode I—blaming George Lucas for failing to "meet the standards of the public"—he wants nothing to do with the franchise at all, noting that he’s “only reprised his role as Anakin for five video games” (Only five!), and avowing that he’s learned to “hate it when the cameras are pointed at me.” Except, of course, when attending fan conventions, where he can then autograph those cameras’ photos and charge them for the privilege. But even this is small consolation for the hell we continue to put him through.

“My entire school life was really a living hell,” the now-23-year-old Lloyd said by way of explaining why he entered “early retirement” from acting at the age of 12, which was certainly by choice. According to Lloyd, not only was he bombarded with “up to 60 interviews a day,” he was taunted by “really mean” schoolmates who would “make the sound of the light saber every time they saw me”—until finally he could take the logistically unlikely attention and scathing sound effects no more, let the hate flow through him, and “destroyed all of his Star Wars memorabilia.” Goood. Goooood.

What do you think ? :)

Edited by krystianswtor

I feel bad for the kid, honestly. He was thrown into that situation as a minor, had to deal with more garbage than most child stars since Star Wars fans can be as rabid as The Raider Nation sometimes. He was playing Darth Vader as a kid. And imo, he did his job. Not his fault the rest of the movie sucked. He was a little kid!!! ANY actor can be made to look like crap with a bad director. Doesn't matter how good the actor is, either.

For a NON-Star Wars example, Cary Elwes and Danny Glover in the first Saw. Both are good actors, yet both looked like they were sleepwalking through that entire movie. I blame the director for wasting their talents.

I feel bad for the kid, honestly. He was thrown into that situation as a minor, had to deal with more garbage than most child stars since Star Wars fans can be as rabid as The Raider Nation sometimes. He was playing Darth Vader as a kid. And imo, he did his job. Not his fault the rest of the movie sucked. He was a little kid!!! ANY actor can be made to look like crap with a bad director. Doesn't matter how good the actor is, either.

For a NON-Star Wars example, Cary Elwes and Danny Glover in the first Saw. Both are good actors, yet both looked like they were sleepwalking through that entire movie. I blame the director for wasting their talents.

Good points Sir

Unlike Hayden Christiansen, Jake Lloyd never ***** Darth vader.

Yes some people might say Jake Lloyd was too cute at the time, but to me, it portrayed the innateb potential good in Vader that would eventually allow him to redeem. At least he wasn't a whiny *****.

It must be a hard life to have cameras pushed into your face all the time, but he couldn't take some teasing from kids with lightsaber sounds? If he didn't let it get to him he would have been fine. Shame, he acted pretty well and had could have had a good future in the business.

Who cares.

Hayden was better.

LOL. That is why he retired early. Good riddance. I always thought Hayden made Darth Vader seem like a whiny ***** from 90210. Ironically Star Wars: The Clone Wars showed that it actually took one of those to play him right.

Got to feel bad for him. Even though little Annie, was, to me about a million times more annoying than Jar Jar, it’s not his fault that GL decided to write lines like "Now THIS is podracing" or "I’ll try spinning, that’s a neat trick", and it’s not his fault that GL couldn’t direct. It’s a shame that he has to live with being the worst character in star wars, must’ve sucked as he grew up.

Having met Jake on several occasions ( he lives in the same city) I'd have to say I can't blame him for being frustrated by the whole experience.. and yes I can verify that some folks ( like those above me in this thread) want to just mess with him for the Lols of saying "I XXXX darth vader"

sadly about 1/2 of them can Vote.

Imagine if your whole life revolved around 1 thing you did. If everyone defined you based on that narrow slice of what you've done. Now add to that, the pressure of growing up ( something i suspect is unfamiliar to some forumites) and it makes for a bitter brew.

And he didn't try to defend himself against those bullies? His fault.

In all honesty the kid actors turn into a-holes later on anyway..well except for the one who played Boba in Ep II. Ran into him a couple years ago and he was beyond proud to be part of Star Wars.

So the kid got picked on. Whoopie...

This^ If making lightsaber sounds was the worst the other kids could do then ooh...

If they were bothering him so much I am sure he could have afforded to go to a private school after making the money he did from Episode 1....

I like to see a link for this pls

being a kid who was picked on, how as a kid do you know how to stand up for you self, it not something you just know, and you can't learn it at lest as a kid, most adolts don't know what to do when a bully comes to you whata kid sopce to do? come on! :rolleyes:

Star Wars: Episode I actor Jake Lloyd has been through "living hell," according to Jake Lloyd ( the actor who played young Anakin Skywalker )

link to full article

http://www.avclub.com/articles/star-wars-episode-i-actor-jake-lloyd-has-been-thro,70466/

These days, Lloyd not only won’t watch Episode I—blaming George Lucas for failing to "meet the standards of the public"—he wants nothing to do with the franchise at all, noting that he’s “only reprised his role as Anakin for five video games” (Only five!), and avowing that he’s learned to “hate it when the cameras are pointed at me.” Except, of course, when attending fan conventions, where he can then autograph those cameras’ photos and charge them for the privilege. But even this is small consolation for the hell we continue to put him through.

“My entire school life was really a living hell,” the now-23-year-old Lloyd said by way of explaining why he entered “early retirement” from acting at the age of 12, which was certainly by choice. According to Lloyd, not only was he bombarded with “up to 60 interviews a day,” he was taunted by “really mean” schoolmates who would “make the sound of the light saber every time they saw me”—until finally he could take the logistically unlikely attention and scathing sound effects no more, let the hate flow through him, and “destroyed all of his Star Wars memorabilia.” Goood. Goooood.

Yeah. I was his age when he was cast. I read a magazine article in an old Boy's Life where he was excited about being in a Star Wars movie, excited about playing a junior Darth Vader and even going on record as saying his favorite Star Wars character was Chewbacca. And I remember that because kid-me was insanely jealous of him at the time.

He's milking publicity, is what I'm saying. When I was his age, I'd have sold my baby sister into slavery for his part.

Edited by Malles

link to full article

+100 Dark Side Points?

Hi all,

We've had to remove some posts from this thread because they were moving into the realm of personal attacks. As a reminder, we ask that members of the community treat each other with respect. If you encounter a post that you believe is disruptive or violates our Rules of Conduct, we ask that you avoid replying and instead use the Report function to bring it to the attention of the Community Team.

Thanks!